Question about creating my own product

14 replies
My question is this: Have I truly found a secret niche, where I have be the pathfinder, or there must be a reason no one is selling in this area? . . .
Hello fellow warriors!
(I have been an affiliate marketer for a least 2 years. I don't go all out, and only use slow methods. I make on average about $100 a month. Nothing to shake a stick at.)
I have decided to bite the bullet and make my own info product. I have tried to research all of the best-way-to-research products out there and some are contradictory.

I have decided on the health/self-help category, like snoring for example. (or stop-snoring to be more exact) I think I have a winner, but there are only 2 books on this disorder on Amazon, and nobody has any products for it.

I have found a good "money word" or keyword phrase that has just over one thousand (1 K) monthly (exact match) searches, and at the same time, less than fifteen thousand (15 K) results on google with quotes.

My question is this: Have I truly found a secret niche, where I have be the pathfinder (1st person doing it), or should I think that there must be a reason no one selling in this area?

This is the only thing that goes against what everyone preaches about "money niches."

People do want a solution to this, and solutions are available on eHow.com and other such places, but they are spread out. I have even discovered the medical term for this, which has over two million (2 MM) results on google. (as an aside, when using the medical term, it's a pediatric reference, for adults they call it by layman's terms)

I am willing to be the guinea pig on this for experimental purposes. And as Allan Says is prone to do, when everyone is going one way, he goes the other.

Thanks in advance for your help, tips, and pointing me in the right direction.

~Dave~
#creating #product #question
  • Profile picture of the author Jessica Martinez
    Everything I know about internet marketing says that if there aren't very many products about it, it's because others who've gone before you have done the research and there's not enough interest to make the time spent creating a product worth while.

    I've heard that from more than one internet marketer and that's the advice I go by when creating a new product. Hope that helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1919574].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Loren Woirhaye
    There are undoubtedly some "sleeper" niches out there
    that are undiscovered.

    However - just because there are books on a topic does
    not mean people will pay the (typically) inflated ebook
    prices for instant delivery of the information. How-to
    information must promise instant gratification to get that
    instant delivery sales thing happening. Some topics just
    don't lend themselves to this kind of urgency.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1919643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sue McDonald
    Any product you are going to create - you must do your keyword research to see how many people are searching for what you have in mind. If the search volume is low their is no point in wasting you time creating a product that very few people want. Always do a Google search and a keyword search - the two most important things before you create your product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1919645].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trimmerman
    Hi Dave,
    I think the main things are how long it takes to set up and run, and how much does it cost. I'm setting myself up so I can set up an SEOed website in minutes for no extra cost. If I made $25.00 in a year it would be worth it. Still, there are niches where I would lose money. I can't tell which one's will be good and which one's won't. They are often a suprise. You're making a $100.00/month? you are there. You just need to take it to the next level. Good Luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1919738].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RedMatrix
      Originally Posted by Jessica Martinez View Post

      Everything I know about internet marketing says that if there aren't very many products about it, it's because ... there's not enough interest to make the time spent creating a product worth while
      I know what you are saying, but what *if* I can find a way to pull a profit for my efforts?

      Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post

      There are undoubtedly some "sleeper" niches out there that are undiscovered ... Some topics just
      don't lend themselves to this kind of urgency.
      Yeah, this disorder isn't an urgency. Hmm. But that's the case with all "disorders."

      Originally Posted by Sue McDonald View Post

      Any product you are going to create - you must do your keyword research ...
      This is a given.

      Originally Posted by trimmerman View Post

      Hi Dave,
      I think the main things are how long it takes to set up and run, and how much does it cost ... Good Luck
      I'm like you trimmerman, I have a lot of time on my hands, and I'm good with computers, css/html, php, ftp, and other initials.
      Signature

      ~Dave

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1919792].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Deepak Media
    You have to strike a balance. The market should not be too big where you cannot enter (like dating, weight loss) unless you are an expert. And the market should not be too small where you cannot find enough buyers.

    I have entered some very small markets like that and now I have trouble scaling it. Although I am getting profit from it, reinvesting for more traffic is not an option because there is not much traffic in the first place.
    Signature
    Digital Marketing Author | Speaker | Consultant

    Read my Blog: DigitalDeepak.com

    @ Bangalore, India.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1919848].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kella Bella
      Originally Posted by Deepak Media View Post

      You have to strike a balance. The market should not be too big where you cannot enter (like dating, weight loss) unless you are an expert. And the market should not be too small where you cannot find enough buyers.

      I have entered some very small markets like that and now I have trouble scaling it. Although I am getting profit from it, reinvesting for more traffic is not an option because there is not much traffic in the first place.
      I am actually having the same issue the OP is where I cannot tell if this is not a good market or a market that is not yet saturated. When you say it should not be too big so that you can enter it........what kind of guideline do you use for too big, too small, or just right? Do you base it on the level of keyword searches and if so what is a good number to go by? I am thinking of starting in a few keywords that bring in a million a month in search but I really didn't even know to be honest if that was good bad or indifferent to sellinga product so wondered if you could explain this further please :-)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1920010].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gravtex
    Here's one of the keys to the snoring niche (I've done a little, emphasis on little, research on it).

    There are two people who are searching for "snoring remedies."

    One is the people who snore but the really desperate people desperate for a solution are the spouses... appeal to them.

    I know there are products out there so it's not a bad niche and I do recall Hydra even having CPA offers as recently as a year ago.

    Do your market research... survey the market, buy all the competitors products and go through their sales funnel. Look up Glenn Livingston if you're not sure how to do it - it's a bit complicated, but his information is brilliant.

    Then make your product and make some money. :-)

    Gary
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1919992].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jay F
    I'm new to product creation as well, so I have no authority in my comments. But, what I love about the Internet is that it creates the market for you. Even if the traffic level is low, from what you describe, this is a niche where someone needs a solution NOW. Create the product, keep your costs under control and see what happens.

    Good luck.
    Signature

    I'm working on some new things. So, nothing to promote just yet.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1920121].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RedMatrix
    I think I'll do a mash up of the information I find online. (or outsource it) Then put it on a new domain and sell it for real cheap as an introductory price. Then do a few link wheels, bazooka marketing, etc and then step back for 30 days.

    I'm in no hurry. However, if it does work, it would be difficult to scale it. I mean, once these customers have this problem licked, what do I sell them? I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

    Thanks all. I have lost my thanking privileges for today (too many), i'll come back tomorrow and click the thanks button.
    Signature

    ~Dave

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1920178].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KrisMainieri
    Hi RedMatrix - product creating is a beautiful thing. I am inspired that I see you are giving it a try. You have done research and you are thinking like a pro. Using tools like this forum is also a good thing as you can leverage on the expertise of others that have already been there.

    My advice to you would be to go for it - just make sure you are being as thrifty as possible so that you can insure you get a quick return on your investment.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1920216].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
      Originally Posted by RedMatrix View Post

      Yeah, this disorder isn't an urgency. Hmm. But that's the case with all "disorders."
      Don't tell that to the wife who can't sleep worth a dang because the old man's snoring keeps her up all night. She'll smack you upside the head!

      It doesn't really matter if there are 15,000 competitors or 15,000,000 - what matters is how well optimized are the sites on the first page. How many links are there to the competition? Are they all authority sites? If so, forget it.

      Are some of the first page results forum posts or answer sites? If so you have a good chance to beat them with a well-optimized site, well-linked site.

      If you can get onto the first page of search results you should make some money. The rest of the competition doesn't matter.
      Signature

      Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1920261].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mohammad Afaq
    Most of the times, I really don't care about niches that don't have sellers in them because I know there are literally hundreds of other profitable niches waiting for me and I shouldn't waste me time on something that is totally new.

    But, if I found something that looked like a good idea and it had no sellers then I would do a little research and then plan about what would I do with that niche.

    Here's how I do my step by step research:

    Step 1: Go to Detecting Online Commercial Intention: Audience Intelligence: adCenter Labs and lookup the commercial intent of the searcher.

    I would see the results and decide on what I should be selling to the audience (Physical Products or Information)

    Step 2: I would get the top sites in the niche (if there are any) and run a search on quantcast for the URL. I would then use all the demographics provided by quantcast to find out more about the people in this niche.

    Step 3: I would search on Yahoo Answers and other sites of that nature to see if people are asking any questions about the niche.

    Step 4: With all the information from the research, I would make my decision on that niche. I would just create a simple product (like a small report) and sell it for a low introductory price and if it looks like there is some money in that niche I would create my main product and then make everything fancy and stuff. And if the niche doesn't work, I would just draw back and move on.
    Signature

    “The first draft of anything is shit.” ~Ernest Hemingway

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1920237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mohammad Afaq
    Originally Posted by Michael Truong View Post

    Excellent demographic research technique you got there mohammad111.

    Thank you for sharing that with us.



    No problem!
    Signature

    “The first draft of anything is shit.” ~Ernest Hemingway

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1920247].message }}

Trending Topics