What do you do when someone takes your idea?

by Melani
49 replies
I'm absolutely gutted right now. I can honestly say this is the worst day of the year for me, possibly, the worst day since I tried stepping into the world of internet marketing.

After attempting (and failing) at different ways to make money online, I decided to go back to what I knew and what I love doing. Since early 2000 when I started, I've learned a lot so decided to reach a little further this time.

For the past 3 or so months I've been working on a site that is aimed to help everyone involved in IM. I've spent a few thousand dollars on getting everything up and running and the idea has grown to include way more than I originally planned - in a very good way.

Today, I received an email from a well known person in IM who's just announced his site. It's identical to mine. Obviously mine looks different and such, but at it's core, they are both the same.

I'm just days away from announcing mine - just waiting on some final coding and deciding to switch to servers to dedicated to ensure there would be no down time for users. That's it. That's all I'm waiting on before I get up on my little box and let everyone know I'm here.

Now, I'm asking myself if there's even a point to it. I'm a no-body in this industry compared to this other guy. I don't have contacts or a network of other guru's to promote for me. I don't have a list of thousands of people to tell and sell to. I'm just one woman, with a love for these types of sites who thought (perhaps nievely) that I might be able to succeed.

This was my last attempt. I've tried other ways and either failed miserably (and with great financial loss thankyou PPC), or not enjoyed it. I've got nothing left in the savings account to fall back on and quite honestly, I don't want to do anything else. Just like bloggers like blogging, I love my sites.

Right now I'm close to just giving up. Who's going to join my site when there's another one just released by a name everyone knows?
#idea #takes
  • Profile picture of the author innocent07
    Banned
    Just accept it and move on, Many people copy other marketers ideas, it happens all the time, your case is unfortunate for you. I know it hurts, but i dont think there is much you can do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954660].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author summerm
      I don't understand. Do you think it's a coincidence, or that this other person really somehow had access to your site before you had a public launch?

      Either way, go ahead and launch your site. Bring on the competition! Most people probably haven't heard of your competitor's site anyway-- I doubt it's a household name. A niche without competition usually isn't worth pursuing, because it probably isn't an untapped billion dollar market...

      I would love to see your site.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954680].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author innocent07
        Banned
        Originally Posted by summerm View Post

        I don't understand. Do you think it's a coincidence, or that this other person really somehow had access to your site before you had a public launch?

        Either way, go ahead and launch your site. Bring on the competition! Most people probably haven't heard of your competitor's site anyway-- I doubt it's a household name. A niche without competition usually isn't worth pursuing, because it probably isn't an untapped billion dollar market...

        I would love to see your site .
        I hope you aint planning on copying it lol
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954682].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author summerm
          Originally Posted by innocent07 View Post

          I hope you aint planning on copying it lol
          lol

          nope, just curious to see the website of someone who "loves" her site
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954698].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author howinfo
      You have put so much time, effort and money into this already so if I were you I would still go ahead with the launch. Little competition has never hurt anybody. If you give up now then you just make it even more easier for the other guy.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954694].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    I understand it seems like a blow to you, but the fact that someone else is doing the same thing indicates there is a market for it.

    Instead of feeling dejected, pick yourself up and fight! Do you realize you have an advantage of your own right now? This other person presumably doesn't know you're days away from becoming his competitor. Find your USP (unique selling proposition) and position your site better than his.

    Just because he has a similar site and is more known doesn't mean you can't compete. You'll probably find people he didn't find, and they'll sign up with you first because they find you first. Even if someone finds both of your sites, if you position yourself better some will choose your site instead.

    This could be one final test from the universe to decide if you're serious. Don't back down, take up the challenge and charge onward! No one person can serve all customers - claim your share!
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954685].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
      Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

      Find your USP (unique selling proposition) and position your site better than his.

      Just because he has a similar site and is more known doesn't mean you can't compete.
      This is what I was going to suggest too.

      Make yourself different by finding and using your USP.

      Can you change the price to beat his? Make your site more user friendly? Do you offer special customer support? Do you have unique "specialty" products?

      You don't have to scrap your whole business because of competition.

      Find or create something, and it doesn't have to be a big thing, that is different from his and advertise that difference.

      How do you think Burger King and Jack-In-The-Box did it when the "almighty" McDonald's had already sold a billion burgers?

      Sure McDonald's has the big Golden Arches and a Clown but Burger King says "I can have it my way".

      Same product with unique selling points.

      Don't throw your hard work away.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954830].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LMC
    Melani,

    Just launch the site... you'll still build an asset with it, and that asset in the end can be sold if it does not see a profit.... competition is healthy for business, it produces better products and ideas.

    Send me the site information, I'll give you a boost when you launch
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mikemcmillan
    Melani, if this guy is a well known Internet marketer and has copied your concept, that just means that he thinks the niche is profitable. That would actually encourage me. If he's planning on doing a big product launch I'd actually consider setting up a couple pre-sell pages for his product and SEO the hell out of them. Try to get them to show above his in the SERPs. Describe his product and on the same page mention your product and its benefits so as to give visitors options.

    Hey, leech some of the traffic off of the buzz for his launch. That would be sweet revenge.

    Listen babe, I wouldn't quit--you obviously love what you are doing. I think you might end up regretting it. Go get him!
    Signature

    I'll help you create a reputation-building evergreen product in any niche and launch it successfully!
    Check it out here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954722].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
      That is exactly what I would do!

      Originally Posted by mikemcmillan View Post

      Melani, if this guy is a well known Internet marketer and has copied your concept, that just means that he thinks the niche is profitable. That would actually encourage me. If he's planning on doing a big product launch I'd actually consider setting up a couple pre-sell pages for his product and SEO the hell out of them. Try to get them to show above his in the SERPs. Describe his product and on the same page mention your product and its benefits so as to give visitors options.

      Hey, leech some of the traffic off of the buzz for his launch. That would be sweet revenge.

      Listen babe, I wouldn't quit--you obviously love what you are doing. I think you might end up regretting it. Go get him!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Emily Meeks
    Think of it this way: There is NOTHING new under the sun. Everything's been said and done in some way, shape or form.

    Maybe you don't have such a big list, or contacts you can email so they'll promote you and make you millions overnight. Maybe not. But let's be brutally honest here... so what?

    People make their livings in the WSO section, even though they don't have Mike Filsaime's list. Do a few sell similar products to Mike's though? Yup. Beyond that, you know how many product launches come out each year, many covering the exact same topic (and as far as we're concerned, may very well be from the same PLR product), that still make a nice hunk of change at the end of the day?

    You got this far. Now you actually have an advantage. You know what the other guy's offering. Now what do YOU have to offer that this guy doesn't? How is YOUR site better than his?

    Instead of sitting back, use this as an opportunity to challenge yourself. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

    Good luck.
    Signature

    In all that you do, know your True INTENT...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954744].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Edk
    There's a song which someone reading this will know. The words go: Don't give up, you still have friends, don't give up you don't need much of anything.

    I too lost A LOT on PPC. Take a couple of wees' break from things.If at the end of a couple of weeks you feel you need a little longer, take a little longer.

    You have a lot more in you.

    This isn't 'mere platitudes'. Take a break from it.

    And see you back. You're saying in effect there's no way forward from here.

    It is not true. I know. I don't even need to wish you 'good luck'.

    See you back
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954764].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dlc3
    Stick in there Melani , ive been down the same depressing road your going down right now. :O) Only thing is my marketing depression lasted the better part of 14 years ! Now, its like riding a bike for me. Dont give up on what you have already created, just lift your head up and put up your dukes and give the other person a run for there money ! :O)

    good luck friend !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alexei_aus
    take a shotgun and go to their house
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954861].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DonnaLeona
      Hey,

      The other guy is just "warming up" your customers.

      Now use the fact that you "aren't a big wig but your price is sure better" in your copy.

      Make sure your price is really better, give amazing service and run a wso to launch it. Put it in your signature.

      The competition can't steal your personality and service.

      Up your game and have fun. And you will build a business you can keep or sell.

      Go for it!

      Donna
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954915].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AaronSnider
    Haven't you driven by a Burger King after seeing a McDonalds in the last 60 seconds?

    If Burger King decided to never go into business cause McDonalds was already there, there
    would be a few less milionaires in the world today.

    Go bro, you have a winner.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J Bold
    Do you have an affiliate program set up? If not, get one. Then, go about getting affiliates to promote your site. You can do really well with this if you put your mind to it. Pay no mind to the other site and just go ahead with your plans.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    Hey Melani,

    I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling so bad about your situation.

    It may not be what you want to hear but it's not all bad you know.

    This stuff always happens. I had a big name ask me to create a product he could sell to his list - he then copied it and sold his verson to them. I still see people talking about his version in this forum now and that was years ago.

    You just need to get over it and look for the silver lining.

    As others have intimated, you can ride his launch for your own benefit - you now automatically have people getting new awareness and you have a USP - you're not so big that you don't do your business personally.

    You know that a guru doing a launch is either charging the earth or not delivering personal service.

    That's the thing about IM. You've seen it for yourself - everyone saying "automate" "systemize" etc... that's what these guys have had to do.

    You have the benefit of your own unique knowledge and experience, combined with the fact that you still do business personally.

    I could say it's not worth me offering coaching to people - but in fact, many of my coaching clients come to me AFTER having paid a LOT of money to big named Gurus - who didn't actually care about them and never really got personally involved in helping them. If they did get 1-1 time with them, they were always watching the clock waiting to end the session.

    One of the common downsides to succeeding in IM is that you have to scale up and build in systems - which almost always makes your business less personal.

    This guy you're referring to can probably only spent real time with people who pay a very high ticket.

    So - you're not really competing with him long term.

    Maybe some people will buy his stuff, but you know that most of them won't actually get the benefit they're expecting.

    Also - you may just have a warped sense of this persons status. I hear people here talking about Gurus sometimes and naming people I would never buy anything from because their stuff is all lies and BS fabricated just to make sales, no-one will make their stuff work - because it doesn't.

    So - don't give up and certainly don't let what someone else is doing stop you working your plan.

    There will always be people doing something similar - but they're not you. They don't have your direction and focus.

    You probably also know this but, most people interested in a subject don't just buy one persons version of the same information. I usually buy all the information I can find about something I'm interested in - just to see different peoples perspectives.

    Don't let it get you down - just keep on keeping on.

    Andy
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954955].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheMagicShow
    This individual might have the same concept, but why not try to offer some extras and package your product differently. Offer: better customer service, maybe a forum, a better guarantee, an mp3, workbook, cheat sheet.

    You have worked, way too hard...to give up and throw in the towel. Hell, you have spent tons of money too, be different and take your site live and Kick some a@@!!!
    Signature

    " You can either give a man a fish and feed him for a day OR teach him how to catch a fish and it will feed him for a lifetime"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1954968].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Melani
      *Takes a deep breath and lets it out*

      Thankyou so much everyone for the replies. After opening the email and seeing what is basically my site already created, up and running and with members today really knocked the wind out of my sails. I felt like one of those bad comedy movies where you see the dazed and confused guy walking around like he just got face planted with a frying pan. I was hesitant to post at first because I was so scared of hearing "find something else" or "just move on to a different project" because honestly, I went into this as a last attempt. I tried new things, I failed, so I went back to what I know, what I do well and what I love... just in a different niche and a little better than I've done in the past.

      I know this probably sounds pathetic, but I love my little (hopefully ready to grow massively) site. It's not a physical product in the sense of an ebook or course (been there, tried that, failed miserably lol). But a site based around a community and doing what I love most, helping others. I've succeed well in other (non IM related) niches in the past, and this time decided to combine my past 18 months learning with my passion and voila, it all fell together so perfectly.... until today.

      I do have to say, it's amazing the difference when you're working on something you know and love doing than it is trying to attempt something you don't! SO much more enjoyable!

      USP (unique selling proposition) and Price
      Two points covered here which I am struggling with. Particularly the price point...

      When laying out the foundations and putting all the ideas from my head into the actual site, I decided to provide multiple price options. While at it's core, the site is created by it's members, the foundations I want to set is honesty and truth. We've all seen the over-hyped sales letters, dodge products and so called 'gurus' that pull a quick bait-and-switch by offering something for free before hitting you up for more.

      Because the site encourages the IM community to speak up and comment on people, products, what have you, I decided against a completely free site as that can conflict with honesty and truth. Although I do offer the ability to join for free and stay free for as long as you like (there is certainly no requirement to pay), in order to avoid fake praise and more untruths, there are restrictions in place to stop that, as well as multiple membership levels people can take to suit their needs. There's more reason behind the set up, but basically some is free, some is not.

      Now this other site... is all free. And this is where I get that "well why would anyone take up my options when they can get it free over here" issue. Personally, having worked on and run these types of sites for the better part of 2000 so far, I see issues with totally free. Obviously that's why I've gone the way I did, but who doesn't want something for nothing? Of course people are going to go the free option...

      Which brings me to the USP. What's mine? It's certainly not price.

      Customer Support/Personality - Perhaps. This site is my love, my passion, etc. I'm not a bigger named 'guru' pushing out new products every month. I plan on spending all my time improving my site just like I have always done in the past. My goal behind it is to help others. The site is a lot of things, and one of them is to be a place for others in internet marketing to promote themselves, their products, etc. And I want to do everything within my powers to further help that advertisement.

      I do also plan to put myself in a more 'contact orientated' position. Something I have always prided myself in the past is my involvement with the membership base. While I create the sites, I've always been of the firm belief that it's the members that make it and I listen to them, what they want, etc. While yes he's created it, I can't see him offering the same level of interaction...

      In previous endeavours where I've had competition, I've always been told how it's my involvement and what I do for the members that makes me the winner. Of course, I've been extremely fortunate to always be the first to launch which always helped. People came in after I proved how helpful the sites were... not the other way around.

      More "Help" than a place to just gather - This is probably the first aspect I think of that might be unique to me. As far as I can see, this other site is basically a gathering place for those involved in IM. Where as my idea is based more around getting people together to help profit. I do have additional aspects to my site that allow more 'self promotion' and 'networking' from what I can tell. I want to work with members to help them find the right people, right opportunities etc.

      I also have sections set up so users can honestly and openly 'review' (for lack of a better word) products, people, and everything else involved with IM. His doesn't have that...

      Other than that though, I'm not really sure.

      Originally Posted by summerm View Post

      I don't understand. Do you think it's a coincidence, or that this other person really somehow had access to your site before you had a public launch?
      Honestly, I don't know. I've been very careful not to talk too much about the site until it was ready for launch as, when I started, there was nothing exactly like it out there (although there were similar sites covering certain aspects of it, but not the complete package). I was really scared someone else would go "oh hey, that's a good idea" and be able to put it together faster than I could. As I mentioned, I'm a no-body when it comes to internet marketing really (no one knows my name), so I didn't have a lot of money to throw at it and did most of the coding and such myself. That was all cool, I know what I'm doing.... but that takes time. Especially because I'm a perfectionist.

      As I've gotten closer to being ready - I was due for official launch April 1st - I mentioned a couple of tweets, etc. The site is all there and ready, it's not hidden and I've even had a few hits from organic Google searches. It's "live" in the fact it can accept members and everything functions as it should, but because I kept wanting to make it better, I held off from an official "here we are, come join us" announcement until I could include as much as possible. I didn't want to launch half complete or with parts still waiting to be implemented.

      Now, the only thing I'm waiting on is the final code for the affiliate system to be perfected.

      Originally Posted by redicelander View Post

      Do you have an affiliate program set up? If not, get one. Then, go about getting affiliates to promote your site. You can do really well with this if you put your mind to it. Pay no mind to the other site and just go ahead with your plans.
      Hehe, the reason for my final delay and why I wasn't live almost three weeks ago now. Because there are paid portions to the site (member level upgrades basically), and because I want to give people as many reasons to make use of the site as possible, I decided to offer an affiliate/commission/referral system. Basically members earn 25% of the monthly memberships from everyone they refer every month. In order to do that right however, I needed to hire external assistance (in order to get it 100%) and that took longer than I had wanted.

      The good news is that it will work as I hoped and allow anyone to not only promote themselves, but earn money promoting the site. The bad news is this other site is 100% free so didn't have to wait for that additional coding.

      Originally Posted by mikemcmillan View Post

      Melani, if this guy is a well known Internet marketer and has copied your concept, that just means that he thinks the niche is profitable. That would actually encourage me. If he's planning on doing a big product launch I'd actually consider setting up a couple pre-sell pages for his product and SEO the hell out of them. Try to get them to show above his in the SERPs. Describe his product and on the same page mention your product and its benefits so as to give visitors options.

      Hey, leech some of the traffic off of the buzz for his launch. That would be sweet revenge.
      I've actually got no idea if he's planning on doing a big launch on it or not. I didn't even know about it until I got an email today that basically said "here's my site, it's been live a week and already has hundreds of members, get on there now it's going to be the place to be". Then all of a sudden I was reading someone's blog post on a completely unrelated matter (a venting blog post about something else within the IM community) and a reply comment was mentioning this site.

      Unfortunately (for me), the creator is a big name and he's got that going for him. Everyone knows him. Not everyone likes him after a recent big launch, but everyone knows him and from what I can see today alone, everyone's jumping on in.

      I've spent the past few months working on it, and the whole time hoping and praying that there wasn't some other site out there I hadn't discovered when I researched the idea, or worse, that someone would pop up quicker than I could. That's why I was so scared to even breath a word about it as I knew it was a good idea and didn't want something to take it from me.

      Then today, whammo! So close to being 100% ready and there it is, someone popped up. I probably wouldn't be as gutted if I hadn't poured not only my entire time the past few months, but the last of my quickly depleting savings into the project. I so utterly believed in it that I was happy to do it, but now, the thought of that money being a waste is making me feel very ill.

      That or the fact I've completely cleared the house of every last Easter egg today after opening that email...
      Signature
      IM-Connect.com: Your #1 Social Network Community for Internet Marketers.
      Sell via the Classifieds ~ Contribute to Product Reviews ~ Set up JV Deals and AdSwaps ~ Plus so much more!! Check it out today and sign up for your free account!
      *** Sign up for FREE and earn up to $42 per referal! ***
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1955414].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ButterflyGarden
    Ideas are difficult to protect your best bet is to do it better than your competition.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1955423].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Olgi
    Competition hasn't hurt anyone, in contrary it makes you stronger.

    You said you started in 2000 which is 10 years and we all know that 10 years on the web are like 100 years so your knowledge must be unquestionable.

    The key to success to this kind of sites are joint ventures. I could probably help you advertise your site and try to recruit other people which will do the very same thing

    Also don't forget a really important fact, you being a woman gives you a better advantage and you can use this fact to market your service. Rarely we see women launching these kind of services and we all would love to hear what they have to say
    Signature

    What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1955449].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndyBlackSEO
    It is unfortunate this has happened but I certainly wouldn't let it stop you from launching your site. You have spent a lot of time and money on your project so why just sit back and let another marketer take a bigger share of the market?

    No matter how big a name this person is, not everyone will hear about his site? Also, have you actually joined his site to take a look inside? It's free isn't it? Take a good look and see if there is anything you can add to your site which he doesn't currently have.

    As mentioned in one of the posts above, the exposure created from this other marketer could actually help you. It's obviously made a lot of people aware of such a service. You just need to get out there and let as many people as you possibly can know about your site and how it can help them.

    One thing is for sure though, you don't want to let all your hard work go to waste. Pick yourself up and move on.
    Signature
    [FREE SEO TOOL] Build 29 Effective, High Authority Backlinks that Will Increase Your Google Rankings in 2020... CLICK HERE ...
    ... Instant backlinks that can get you results within 24-72hrs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1955516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    The Internet is a very big place. I'm sure there's room for both of you. All you need to do is be better at promoting it, get more backlinks, create more buzz. I wouldn't throw away all the hard work you've already done. Just dig in and start promoting.

    Everybody has competitors. Just be better than them and you've got it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1955751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Truong
    I agree with the others.


    Just because your idea has been launched before you... does not mean that you can't compete with your competitor. Because at the end of the day... content is king.

    Doesn't matter who you are, where you are, where your from.... none of that really matters.

    Even if you're a no-body!

    If you can provide valuable content. By all means, provide it. Don't back down.

    The internet is a global thing. Millions and millions of people use it every single day. Do not think, even for a second, that your website is not going to work for you just because someone else has done it too.

    Believe in yourself and strive forwards!


    Have a little faith... because it never hurts to try

    (the above statement does not apply to PPC, because it's a fierce market and could easily sting a few newbies if done incorrectly lol)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1955933].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author krisDupree
    Launch your site, if it was stolen his ideas will stop, your good ideas will not.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956352].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Clyde
    Come up with another one, you've done it, you can do it again!

    The heck with these "guru's" though, most of the stuff they release don't make anybody any money if your site has value you will succeed, try JV'ing with someone who's good at doing the promotion etc and synergize!
    Signature

    Generate Unlimited Number of Micro Niche Keywords, Multi-threaded EMD Finder PLUS More!




    50% OFF WSO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956357].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cringwall
    Here is how to do battle with the big boys. You don't have to be #1 to make some money:

    1. Offer more for less.
    2. Give 110% when providing support.
    3. Ask for testimonials from every customer.
    4. Find 2 other IM forums relevant to your niche and get active there.
    5. Follow up with your customers with more stuff- surprise them with your value.
    6. Don't take thing personally - it's business.
    7. Offer 2 or 3 Warriors a JV opportunity.
    8. Get on the big boy's list and follow along - there is always a hole in every offer that can be filled.
    9. Take a different approach than the big boy - some customers will prefer you.

    Cheer up, man - it may seem sometimes that there are thousands of IM people and just a few gurus have all the customers locked up. That is just not true. The fact is, no matter how big the guru is, he is only scratching the surface of the total number of potential customers worldwide.
    Signature

    Currently in research mode, any and all thoughtful replies are appreciated!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author timpears
    My mother used to say that ideas are floating in the air, and if you don't pick them up, someone else will. Obviously this other fellow picked up the idea but was able to launch it before you did.

    There is lots of duplication in the business world. And they seem to survive and prosper, even though they offer the same things. So don't give up. See what you can do better, or cheaper than this other fellow. Just don't give up

    cringwall had it right, follow his outline.
    Signature

    Tim Pears

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956455].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author armadin
    So what, I would still do it if I had passion for it and thought it was a good market, just because there are a million restaurants, it does not mean another one can't make good food and sell it.
    Signature
    Custom Made Warrior Wordpress Themes
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956515].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author camforbes
    A similar thing happened to me when I first got started in IM.

    I say go for it and launch your site. You're already getting some good publicity from your friends here at WF...

    When it happened to me, I had just recently launched a product on clickbank when a guy in the UK totally ripped it off. He bought my product, registered a domain name the next day, launched a site shortly thereafter and started siphoning off my sales to his copycat product that included MOST of what I had sold him!

    Not much you can do about it, other than continue on your path and keep your chin up!

    -Cam
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956517].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JayPeete
    Melani,

    That's great! It means that there is a market for what you have to sell. Market research dictates that if there is no competition for your product, then most likely there are also no customers willing to buy.

    So chin up, that other marketer just proved to you that there is a market for what you have to sell... Trust me Melani, it is good news!

    Here's a hint at something that you can do, some will like this and some won't. But multi-million dollar companies couldn't provide this service if it wasn't above board. When you do get a small amount of money to invest in your site you can use pay-per-view (PPV) to drive traffic. It is also known as cost-per-view (CPV), which is contextual advertising.

    CPV is a part of the 80 percent of traffic that Google doesn't control. You can bid as low as $0.015 per targeted view of your website. Here's the kicker, you can even target Google and your competitor's URL's so that when someone types in your search terms or your competitor's website, your website will also be shown.

    So don't give up. There are many ways of driving traffic and getting customers. Hang in there...

    Best of luck,

    Jay
    Signature
    What Misunderstood Traffic Source SUCKS In
    3 Million Visitors Daily and Spits Out
    $560.81 Per Day In Commissions?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956738].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Escotk
    Competition is a great thing. The only thing you have to do is do things a LITTLE bit better than the next guy and you'll do awesome. For example, get more JVs, offer more of a commission to affiliates, price cut, etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956773].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matteh
    MMM! don't give up! there is competition everywhere! its what makes it fun!

    Just look, warriorforum.. created by a unknown.. ( what! you say?! well I don't know them:8 please don't ban me! ) and is doing just fine!

    Well, point is.. someone always don't know the guru.. so it really don't matter..

    I checked out your site! (I'm psychic..) looks good.. though, I didn't fully understand what it was all about!! I just click buttons.. I never read copy/sale letters or whatever its called (I'm psychic powers are failing lol).

    But, don't give up.. otherwise everything you created will go to waste! and things take time to build up..

    I don't think much point in me giving you any advise.. as I'm sure you already know anything anyway if smart enough to get site to that stage.

    But one thing, every second you waste worry about your competitor more they will laugh at you because while your worrying your not getting customers to your site.

    Oh, yeh, sign up some Internet marketers you know. friends etc give them free subscriptions to get content on site. etc, as most of time.. people don't really care about who the site is owned by.. just that it looks well used..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956776].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
    Originally Posted by Melani View Post

    I'm absolutely gutted right now. I can honestly say this is the worst day of the year for me, possibly, the worst day since I tried stepping into the world of internet marketing.

    After attempting (and failing) at different ways to make money online, I decided to go back to what I knew and what I love doing. Since early 2000 when I started, I've learned a lot so decided to reach a little further this time.

    For the past 3 or so months I've been working on a site that is aimed to help everyone involved in IM. I've spent a few thousand dollars on getting everything up and running and the idea has grown to include way more than I originally planned - in a very good way.

    Today, I received an email from a well known person in IM who's just announced his site. It's identical to mine. Obviously mine looks different and such, but at it's core, they are both the same.

    I'm just days away from announcing mine - just waiting on some final coding and deciding to switch to servers to dedicated to ensure there would be no down time for users. That's it. That's all I'm waiting on before I get up on my little box and let everyone know I'm here.

    Now, I'm asking myself if there's even a point to it. I'm a no-body in this industry compared to this other guy. I don't have contacts or a network of other guru's to promote for me. I don't have a list of thousands of people to tell and sell to. I'm just one woman, with a love for these types of sites who thought (perhaps nievely) that I might be able to succeed.

    This was my last attempt. I've tried other ways and either failed miserably (and with great financial loss thankyou PPC), or not enjoyed it. I've got nothing left in the savings account to fall back on and quite honestly, I don't want to do anything else. Just like bloggers like blogging, I love my sites.

    Right now I'm close to just giving up. Who's going to join my site when there's another one just released by a name everyone knows?
    I don't think that is going to be a problem. I understand how you feel, after taking your time to put up a great job somebody pop's out from nowhere and steal it right from you, and not just anybody, somebody more positioned than you are.

    Personally, am member of the Plug-In Profit Site. As a matter of fact we have a section in this forum. The Plug-In Profit Site creates a free site for people who are looking to earn money online and don't have the skills to build their own. It normal to know that there are many other affiliate like use promoting the same kind of site as well as product. Yet many people have made lots of money promoting this sites.

    You don't need to worry yourself, simply optimize your site for your chosen keyword and use other marketing technique to get people to your site.

    Trust me, there are tons of way to get prospect and even if you are using the same marketing technique, you still have a great chance of meeting new propspect.

    People who have gotten what they want will barely come back. Meaning every there is going to be new prospects.

    Don't get discourage.

    Its a sign of success. Think about it, if this guys who knows everything copy's your style. Then there is something in it.

    Goodluck

    John
    Signature
    Grow your social media account, Spotify Streams, YT Views & IG Followers & More
    Software & Mobile APP Developer
    Buy Spotify, Facebook Bot & IG M/S Method
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    I think it was Bill Cosby who said something to the effect that American has 270 million
    people and he only need 1% of those people to love his show to make him a success.

    In any market there are always going to be people who you PERCEIVE to be better
    than you and those worse, but how many people do you need to love your stuff
    in order to succeed is the real question.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gacott
    launch, launch, launch. When people copy it's a good sign!!! Money to be made!!

    LAUNCH!!

    Garret
    Signature

    Short URL and QR Code Marketing like you have never see before. Scrimp takes it to a whole new level!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956863].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gail Sober
    Just remember, there are three basic shoppers

    Those that relates cost to value and will usually go for the most expensive item thinking it has to be the best since it cost the most.

    The bargain price customers that is always looking for the lowest cost.

    And the middle of the road shopper who compares price to value.

    Try and see where your product will fit in because you're sure to have even more competitors if the niche is successful, compare features to this new competition.

    Bulk up the features, build value and raise the price or trim it down to necessities and lowball it. (Or, offer three levels of your product if that's possible)

    Are you going to be the Nissan Versa or the Mercedes.

    They are plenty of buyers for both cars, their owners just expect different things from them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956869].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author donnyh
    I hate copy cats too. But they'll never get far just copying another person's idea.

    If it was yours to begin with, you can probably serve it better than he can.

    Just create the best product and the people will come.
    Signature

    Donny Hastings

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956880].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vis
    Don't worry about the "free" issues with the other site... that may mean there is no value in the other site and whatever they have may be copyware...

    People actually pay up for original stuff and that is not content I am talking about. It is actually you that they want. As long as you keep feeding your own ideas and work into your site, people will keep coming and will pay to get more of your own stuff.

    Cheers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956913].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Shane Roe
    Hey, I sent you a PM. Look at it when you get a chance, I can help you a bit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956954].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Dolan
    Hi Melanie,

    Sorry to hear what happened to you. It happens all the time. And its logical, because how often does something come along and people think wow thats so cool, I would have never have thought of it - while about 99.9% would say that, there is a .1% that did think it too.

    Because they have similar experience, similar goals, similar problems. Its in a way rather flattering to know you are in the same league as this big time guru.

    Ok so how to move on. Go with your own launch keep your personality, because you know what there are a ton of people out there who

    1. Dont know the other guru
    2. Do know but wont buy from the other guru
    3. Dont care who they buy from
    4. Want to try another product

    Most of the guru stuff is poorly done - have you seen some of the free downloads they give, all gloss an 1% content.

    Don't give up - unless its going to waste alot of your cash. Stay positive, push your site out there, and hit the lists, do some list swaps here, some cheap marketing - if doing PPC - do some images - yes make some ad images, you can normally get a ton of targeted traffic way under the usual clicks by going for content image ad's.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1956987].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jaspry
    I agree with the others saying, BRING IT ON! You know you had your idea before him, so why let him take all the credit!? Put on a fight! Stand up for what's yours! Have confidence! Because you know you'll succeed; most definitely! Don't think of him as a threat. Think of him as a mere obstacle. And other people who say, "Accept your fate. Give up. Count your losses," are on a one-way road to failure. Brutal, but true. There will be challenges in life and our success is determined by not stepping down.

    Good luck, and I do hope to be reading of your success soon!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1957025].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Floyd Fisher
    Originally Posted by Melani View Post

    I'm absolutely gutted right now. I can honestly say this is the worst day of the year for me, possibly, the worst day since I tried stepping into the world of internet marketing.

    After attempting (and failing) at different ways to make money online, I decided to go back to what I knew and what I love doing. Since early 2000 when I started, I've learned a lot so decided to reach a little further this time.

    For the past 3 or so months I've been working on a site that is aimed to help everyone involved in IM. I've spent a few thousand dollars on getting everything up and running and the idea has grown to include way more than I originally planned - in a very good way.

    Today, I received an email from a well known person in IM who's just announced his site. It's identical to mine. Obviously mine looks different and such, but at it's core, they are both the same.

    I'm just days away from announcing mine - just waiting on some final coding and deciding to switch to servers to dedicated to ensure there would be no down time for users. That's it. That's all I'm waiting on before I get up on my little box and let everyone know I'm here.

    Now, I'm asking myself if there's even a point to it. I'm a no-body in this industry compared to this other guy. I don't have contacts or a network of other guru's to promote for me. I don't have a list of thousands of people to tell and sell to. I'm just one woman, with a love for these types of sites who thought (perhaps nievely) that I might be able to succeed.

    This was my last attempt. I've tried other ways and either failed miserably (and with great financial loss thankyou PPC), or not enjoyed it. I've got nothing left in the savings account to fall back on and quite honestly, I don't want to do anything else. Just like bloggers like blogging, I love my sites.

    Right now I'm close to just giving up. Who's going to join my site when there's another one just released by a name everyone knows?
    Why can't there be more than one?

    There are different books on calculus. At the core, the subject is the same, but each book explains it differently.

    There are different cars. At the core, it's four wheels and an engine, but they cater to different markets, and different tastes.

    There are different personal computers, each has a function, and caters to specific tasks.

    Instead of getting mad and quitting altogether, figure out how to stand out and be different.

    Want some ideas, PM me and let's brainstorm.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1957076].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IMStudentforlife
      This happens to me a lot actually. I've learned to tell them to Step off (in your mind, no sense telling them that because they have no imagination to copy and paste your ideas)then I'll Step it up!

      Like others have said there's so many ideas out there, its the ones who take charge of thing that make the money/glory.

      More Power to you!
      Signature
      Old School SEO and IM, 1MediaZone

      Running low on inspiration?
      The Strangest Secret in the World
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1957129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marhelper
    ... uh, move one with another one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1957118].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DogScout
    Launch at a lower price point. Go for a different market. Maybe newbies. You can do the whole warning about gurus even.
    Stay on track do what you were going to do. Never say die. (join his site.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1957655].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Don Schenk
    Melani,

    Did you join his site? You said it is free. Join with a gmail account, watch everything he is doing. This will let you see where his "system" has holes. This will let you see exactly where your site and system is better.

    That little bit of "better" is what you promote. It becomes your USP.

    You can't figure out what makes you different, what make you better unless you know what this so called "guru" is doing. He won't know you are watching him, and he probably won't be watching you.

    :-Don
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1957925].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Melani
    I want to start this reply by saying a massive thankyou to everyone for their support and replies to this thread and via PM. There's been some great ideas, and enough hope that this may not be the end of my online world as I know it.

    I've spent the past 24 hours not sleeping, eating chocolate and reading over this other site and the rave reviews about how "it was such a great idea" and how people "can't believe someone didn't think of it earlier". Arg...

    Of course, I got an email this morning from the coders informing me my affiliate system is now complete which makes my site ready to be live. Oh the timing. This other site now has over 1000 members and is growing by the hour.

    Although I am feeling extremely deflated, I am going to keep plugging along. Competition is a good thing, and yes there are multiple products about the same topic out there, but I'm just not sure that covers my site - it's a community, not a product. But I'll give it a go... I can't just walk away from the money I've invested, I need to at least try.

    Originally Posted by Olgi View Post

    Also don't forget a really important fact, you being a woman gives you a better advantage and you can use this fact to market your service. Rarely we see women launching these kind of services and we all would love to hear what they have to say
    I would never have thought me being female would have actually been an asset lol.

    Originally Posted by AndyBlackSEO View Post

    Also, have you actually joined his site to take a look inside? It's free isn't it? Take a good look and see if there is anything you can add to your site which he doesn't currently have.
    Yeah I signed up. I'm actually fairly familiar with the software platform they've used and know it's capabilities. I've too used it in the past. Interestingly, I can also see they're using the 'free' version of it (hosted by the platform developer and ads are shown to cover the costs) which surprises me given how well known he is. I actually considered using the same software to launch immediately and then transfer to the system I am currently using down the road, but instead, I decided I wanted to do it right from the start. Ironic much?

    Evaluating the two (mine and his), there are slight differences which I am hoping will be enough to set us apart... and, of course, make mine more attractive. But only time will tell I guess. It's hard for me to make unbiased comparisons due to my involvement, and it's hard to feel super possitive about mine when it's such a big name I'm competing against.

    I guess now it's up to spending time putting the word out, contacting potential JV's and seeing if they are interested (although a bit hard when my list consists of oooooh, two members lol) and hoping that the jump start the other site has won't be the death of mine.

    At the moment the only real benefit I can see mine has is that members can earn a monthly recurring income from it which the other one doesn't offer... no idea if that will be enough of an incentive. :confused:
    Signature
    IM-Connect.com: Your #1 Social Network Community for Internet Marketers.
    Sell via the Classifieds ~ Contribute to Product Reviews ~ Set up JV Deals and AdSwaps ~ Plus so much more!! Check it out today and sign up for your free account!
    *** Sign up for FREE and earn up to $42 per referal! ***
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1958493].message }}

Trending Topics