Squeeze pages that are doomed

by 5ky
34 replies
I have heard that the long time successful model of nothing-but-the-squeeze-page landing page is now doing pretty badly with google and ranking.

Is that true?
#doomed #pages #squeeze
  • Profile picture of the author Wechito
    A have a couple of squezze pages out there and they have never rank well on Google.
    I make all my SEO efforts to optimize content-rich pages from where drive traffic to my squeeze pages.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2261849].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbode
    Most squeeze pages have very little content so the on page SEO factor is very low making it much harder to rank high in Google
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2261889].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Frank Kern dealt with this extensively in List Control, from what I hear. Not sure how he recommended you fix it.
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2261903].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mohammad Afaq
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      Frank Kern dealt with this extensively in List Control, from what I hear. Not sure how he recommended you fix it.
      Exact match domains are the answer
      Signature

      “The first draft of anything is shit.” ~Ernest Hemingway

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2262359].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PCRoger
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      Frank Kern dealt with this extensively in List Control, from what I hear. Not sure how he recommended you fix it.
      I imagine the answer was to give him lots of money!

      Regards,
      PCRoger.
      Signature
      Track your affiliate sales back to the ARTICLE or WEBSITE that generated the sale. CBSaleTracker

      I was making money in days with the 4 Day Money Making Blueprint

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2264965].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 5ky
    So the landing page/squeeze page would never/hardly get ranked for keywords?

    I took example of Eben Pagan's well-known squeeze page. I guess he used other methods like article marketing etc. He only recently changed his home page to page that contains articles and than an op-in box.

    Might that be because Google's rules got more strict?
    Signature

    Read the rules before re-doing your signature file.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2261975].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author scottmanesis
      One of the "tricks" that I have learned is to make everything part of my self hosted wordpress blog that has plenty of "relative content" for example if I wold make my sites like this:

      Main blog with lots of content would equal= yourmainblog.com
      squeezepage would be located in a location like

      yourmainblog.com/squeeze-page.html

      Then you redirect your domain name (like Myproductsname.com)so that it points to the above location, also this helps you always to be promoting your traffic to a single location rather than wasting your efforts promoting multiple sites, this will help every thing you do rank higher as every page you drive traffic to is bringing traffic to one primary location, same thing with every backlink you create no matter which page you are running a campaign for.

      I hope this helps.

      ~Scott

      PS: also put a link to the main blog at the bottom of your squeeze page, then every single thing you do makes another deep link back to your main/primary domain that you have all your pages on. Google loves this!
      Signature

      Want to make $800 Per Sale By Promoting Master Copywriter Dan Kennedy's Soon To Be Released New Product That Hardly Anybody Knows About Yet?Dan Kennedy's Game Changer DNA.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2262006].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BeauJustin
        Originally Posted by scottmanesis View Post

        One of the "tricks" that I have learned is to make everything part of my self hosted wordpress blog that has plenty of "relative content" for example if I wold make my sites like this:

        Main blog with lots of content would equal= yourmainblog.com
        squeezepage would be located in a location like

        yourmainblog.com/squeeze-page.html

        Then you redirect your domain name (like Myproductsname.com)so that it points to the above location, also this helps you always to be promoting your traffic to a single location rather than wasting your efforts promoting multiple sites, this will help every thing you do rank higher as every page you drive traffic to is bringing traffic to one primary location, same thing with every backlink you create no matter which page you are running a campaign for.

        I hope this helps.

        ~Scott

        PS: also put a link to the main blog at the bottom of your squeeze page, then every single thing you do makes another deep link back to your main/primary domain that you have all your pages on. Google loves this!
        That is an excellent suggestion, Scott.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2262142].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kevin AKA Hubcap
          Your squeeze pages don't need to rely on search traffic. Send JV, paid, ad swap, space ad, etc. traffic to them and you won't need to worry about it being one page and content thin.

          Also, if you're attaching a blog to your squeeze page your efforts should be directed at making that visitor a subscriber. You don't need a squeeze page for that. Put your offer in the blog sidebar.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2262185].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author scottmanesis
            Originally Posted by Kevin AKA Hubcap View Post

            Your squeeze pages don't need to rely on search traffic. Send JV, paid, ad swap, space ad, etc. traffic to them and you won't need to worry about it being one page and content thin.

            Also, if you're attaching a blog to your squeeze page your efforts should be directed at making that visitor a subscriber. You don't need a squeeze page for that. Put your offer in the blog sidebar.
            Your efforts should ALWAYS be directed at making a visitor a subscriber for sure. However, a squeeze page is a more targeted offer and a good squeeze page will have a much much higher opt in conversion than a blog with an opt in form in the sidebar. What I am referring to and this thread is related to is how much does google like your squeeze page in natural search results. If it is just a single page website then it is not going to rank very well, if it is a well placed page within a huge website that is filled with related content (the blog) it will rank much much higher and get more natural traffic than just a stand alone squeeze page.

            Frank Kern is an excellent example, there is a TON of content behind his site FrankKern.com yet you only see 2 small pages of very little content. It ranks high in Alexa and it has a page rank of 7 from Google. How do you suppose he did that? He simply has everything he has online linking to something that is hanging off that domain, like MassControl.com is most likely a redirect to frankern.com/whateverhenamedthepageformasscontrol.com

            and the main point in linking all of these pages inside a wordpress blog as an example is that every single piece of content, every comment you make on a forum, every video you make or any method you choose to market a page will have a positive result in the traffic you are generating on a single location, which means everything you do is helping boost your page rank rather than having scattered efforts for multiple domains.
            Signature

            Want to make $800 Per Sale By Promoting Master Copywriter Dan Kennedy's Soon To Be Released New Product That Hardly Anybody Knows About Yet?Dan Kennedy's Game Changer DNA.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2262518].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Entreprenette
              Scott,

              Thank you so much for this post and your original one above. I'm pretty new to this game and have been struggling with whether to point people to my blog or my squeeze page. Clearly my blog will rank higher but my squeeze page will convert better.

              From your explanation I shall definitely point people to my squeeze page and add a link to my blog on it and do what you suggest re the domain name which will help in the ranking of both!

              That's brilliant - thank you!

              Jo


              Originally Posted by scottmanesis View Post

              Your efforts should ALWAYS be directed at making a visitor a subscriber for sure. However, a squeeze page is a more targeted offer and a good squeeze page will have a much much higher opt in conversion than a blog with an opt in form in the sidebar. What I am referring to and this thread is related to is how much does google like your squeeze page in natural search results. If it is just a single page website then it is not going to rank very well, if it is a well placed page within a huge website that is filled with related content (the blog) it will rank much much higher and get more natural traffic than just a stand alone squeeze page.

              Frank Kern is an excellent example, there is a TON of content behind his site FrankKern.com yet you only see 2 small pages of very little content. It ranks high in Alexa and it has a page rank of 7 from Google. How do you suppose he did that? He simply has everything he has online linking to something that is hanging off that domain, like MassControl.com is most likely a redirect to frankern.com/whateverhenamedthepageformasscontrol.com

              and the main point in linking all of these pages inside a wordpress blog as an example is that every single piece of content, every comment you make on a forum, every video you make or any method you choose to market a page will have a positive result in the traffic you are generating on a single location, which means everything you do is helping boost your page rank rather than having scattered efforts for multiple domains.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2263476].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Kevin AKA Hubcap
              Hi Scott,

              I agree with everything you said. My point was to use the blog to capture search traffic and use the squeeze page to capture PPC, ad swaps, JV, space ad etc. traffic and yes you can direct your blog viewers to the squeeze page but you can also allow them to sign up on the blog.

              You're also right that it's better to have a squeeze page incorporated into a bigger site instead of standing alone. A domain with a single squeeze page will not rank well organically but some companies don't need it to because they're not relying on search traffic. So things like page rank and Alexa rankings don't matter so much. They're more interested in dollars per subscriber of each traffic source they're using to drive traffic.


              Originally Posted by scottmanesis View Post

              Your efforts should ALWAYS be directed at making a visitor a subscriber for sure. However, a squeeze page is a more targeted offer and a good squeeze page will have a much much higher opt in conversion than a blog with an opt in form in the sidebar. What I am referring to and this thread is related to is how much does google like your squeeze page in natural search results. If it is just a single page website then it is not going to rank very well, if it is a well placed page within a huge website that is filled with related content (the blog) it will rank much much higher and get more natural traffic than just a stand alone squeeze page.

              Frank Kern is an excellent example, there is a TON of content behind his site FrankKern.com yet you only see 2 small pages of very little content. It ranks high in Alexa and it has a page rank of 7 from Google. How do you suppose he did that? He simply has everything he has online linking to something that is hanging off that domain, like MassControl.com is most likely a redirect to frankern.com/whateverhenamedthepageformasscontrol.com

              and the main point in linking all of these pages inside a wordpress blog as an example is that every single piece of content, every comment you make on a forum, every video you make or any method you choose to market a page will have a positive result in the traffic you are generating on a single location, which means everything you do is helping boost your page rank rather than having scattered efforts for multiple domains.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2265056].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author peter.max
        Originally Posted by scottmanesis View Post

        One of the "tricks" that I have learned is to make everything part of my self hosted wordpress blog that has plenty of "relative content" for example if I wold make my sites like this:

        Main blog with lots of content would equal= yourmainblog.com
        squeezepage would be located in a location like

        yourmainblog.com/squeeze-page.html

        Then you redirect your domain name (like Myproductsname.com)so that it points to the above location, also this helps you always to be promoting your traffic to a single location rather than wasting your efforts promoting multiple sites, this will help every thing you do rank higher as every page you drive traffic to is bringing traffic to one primary location, same thing with every backlink you create no matter which page you are running a campaign for.

        I hope this helps.

        ~Scott

        PS: also put a link to the main blog at the bottom of your squeeze page, then every single thing you do makes another deep link back to your main/primary domain that you have all your pages on. Google loves this!
        I use this same approach and it works for me. The other advantage if you post regularly to the blog is it also creates some activity and Google seems to like that too.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2600312].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BeauJustin
    SEO shouldn't be the primary source of traffic to your squeeze pages anyway. The
    squeeze page is there to convert leads into sales. Whether you drive traffic through
    your list, ppc, offsite promotions, blog links, backlinking, or any method, driving traffic
    through search engines will probably be the least effective of them all.

    In other words, I wouldn't let the SEO viability determine, or discourage the use of
    salesletters.

    That said. I loathe traditional sales letters, in all but a few instances, and think that
    good prelaunch efforts are more important than the pap you put into a sales page.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2261987].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
    You can get some wordpress page templates that will allow you to make a specially skinned squeeze/salespage from the blog site itself. I'm experimenting with that to see if the squeezes can get ranked if they are attached to a respected site. I think yes. But if you're not wanting to develop a good website anyway, that's probably not so useful to you.
    Signature

    Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
    Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2261997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mlord10
    I agree with what some of the posters above have already said. I really do not rely on SEO very much at all to drive traffic to my squeeze page. Some of my niche sites yes, but my squeeze page for IM generates traffic in different ways.

    SEO in the IM niche is very competitive. I have some articles ranking in the first page of Google for keyword phrases, thus the articles send traffic to my squeeze page. I also make sure that I am getting traffic from other places, such as forums, social media, etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2262306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author itay
    if you build around it value, it will work AND also there is a pop-over squeeze page which solves the issue and gives google what he needs
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2262481].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Baker
    Hey Scott,

    It just got me thinking. Do you think if it would work the other way around? How about linking all the traffic to a particular blog while inserting a link there to a squeeze page or sales letter? I was just thinking of entertaining clients first before actually selling them something. I really don't care if the squeeze page does not rank well. I'm only after it's conversion. So I could just focus on increasing the rank and traffic to blogs, which in a way, is also directed towards my squeeze page which is also a part of my main site.

    Do you think that would work?

    Chris
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2263514].message }}
  • You cannot rank a standard squeeze page for any decent keyword. PERIOD.

    The only way to do it is to blend a content rich site (such as a blog with dozens of entries), with an impossible-to-miss opt-in box somewhere in the header or the sidebar. As long as you make the whole box obvious and appealing enough, you should still get some decent opt-in ratios.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2264547].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IM Cash Rebel
      Thanks Scott. You put things very clearly and easy to understand!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2264624].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BobRenwick
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      You cannot rank a standard squeeze page for any decent keyword. PERIOD.

      The only way to do it is to blend a content rich site (such as a blog with dozens of entries), with an impossible-to-miss opt-in box somewhere in the header or the sidebar. As long as you make the whole box obvious and appealing enough, you should still get some decent opt-in ratios.
      Agreed. A squeeze page is not a website, and it will not rank organically anymore than it would be acceptable as a stand alone landing page for adwords.

      Google friendly sites must be content rich and provide value for the web surfer. Incorporate your squeeze page into your blog or static website but never expect it to rank independently.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2264650].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    Google likes lots of content. Squeeze Pages by design have little content. So, it should come as no surprise that Squeeze Pages do not do well in Google.

    Besides, most squeeze pages are designed to receive direct traffic rather than search engine traffic, aren't they?
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2264648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dean Jackson
    This will be helpful to a lot of people who are confused about sales letters, squeeze pages and SEO. I was too when I figured out what was going on by seeing the same thing over, and over, and over, and over again.

    Signature
    NEW: CRAZIEST Copywriting offer ever offered on WF
    My top student WILL make your sales go BANANAS!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2264939].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JEL0221
    When I initially started to try collecting leads, I tried the one page squeeze page and backlinking it to get it ranked...big mistake

    I find it much more effective to load a site with good content(and updating it weekly), with your opt-in on the sidebar of every page. All my content has a "call to action" to opt-in to my subscription.

    In addition to being more favorable in google's eyes, this will also allow you to target multiple keywords for SEO.

    Myself, I target 6 keywords with on page SEO and backlinking and just simply created a different page for each keyword on my site.
    Signature
    Future Options Trading, a free subscription on trading the commodity markets.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2265022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDawson
    Banned
    Is it true? No, the simply fact is that landing pages can only be optimized to a point. It could take a year to see any kind of search engine traffic, depending on the niche and keywords targeted. I use article marketing to point towards my landing pages and it works well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2265491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JasonParker
    If you're a slave to Google, I guess it DOES matter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2266576].message }}
  • What I have done to avoid this is not to build one squeeze but build a number of squeeze pages on my domain alone with a lot of content.
    Signature
    Discover the secrets to Never paying out of pocket for your Advertising EVER AGAIN!! CLICK HERE

    Dial 888-888-9802, ext 66509 (3) , code 1 (#) FREE Recorded Message

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2267035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Ranger
    You need to move more towards creating value on a blog. Provide
    huge amounts of value then tempt them into joining your mailing
    list.. then hit them with squeeze pages and the like. At the end of
    the day Google wants to give there visitors quality content, and a
    simple squeeze page with a video is impossible for Google to work out
    if video footage is 'quality', also some people don't want video they
    just want relevant text that's easy to read i.e. a blog post.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2267651].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author furqan
    Could anyone list me out links of the killer Squeeze Templates that converts well?

    I shall be very thankful to you all guys.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2267870].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author furqan
    Thanks for providing me this great website. I will review it and then purchase it.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2600169].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Landis
    its going to be hard to rank a traditional squeezepage. Thankfully, there are tons of other sources of traffic besides SE traffic. My favorite one for a squeeze page is from article marketing :p
    Signature

    buying bulk warm seo leads (PM me)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2600286].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author snapcontent
    there's no reason why you can't create an autoblog to act as a 1000 page 'squeeze page'. Every page has some unique content on it, AND the squeeze plugin.

    That way you get the best of both worlds. Organic traffic AND a squeeze.
    Signature
    Autoblogging with unique content and comments.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2600476].message }}

Trending Topics