What are the BIG categories of IM?

12 replies
Hey all,

Could use your quick input please.

I'm looking to break down the IM industry into a handful of "big categories". These categories would represent the main "paths" someone could take upon starting out as a marketer.

Ideally I'd like to keep the list short. Here's what I've come up with:

1) Affiliate marketer
2) Information marketer
3) Membership site owner
4) Offline business consultant

IMPORTANT: I'm only looking for the BIG categories that are worlds unto themselves.

Yes I realize there will be overlap. But when you look at the above four categories it is safe to say they each of them represents a specific "path" one could take in IM.

Note: This says nothing for things like PPC, blogging, SEO, copywriting, articles, etc. These things apply to many if not all of the "big" categories.

I'm looking for Warrior opinions on what the "big" categories are.

Thanks everyone,
Ken
#big #categories
  • Profile picture of the author Ken Preuss
    No one is willing to chime in with your thoughts? It will only take a few seconds.

    Come on, I know there are smart folks here who have done this long enough to be able to break down the "big picture" of this industry.

    Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

    Ken
    Signature

    Coming soon for all you IM junkies... The Internet Daily Show

    A Secret to Success: Making serious money online or offline is not complex unto itself - we're the ones who complicate it. Simply sell them what they are already buying.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[217788].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaskedMarketer
    Originally Posted by Ken Preuss View Post

    Hey all,

    Could use your quick input please.

    I'm looking to break down the IM industry into a handful of "big categories". These categories would represent the main "paths" someone could take upon starting out as a marketer.

    Ideally I'd like to keep the list short. Here's what I've come up with:

    1) Affiliate marketer
    2) Information marketer
    3) Membership site owner
    4) Offline business consultant

    IMPORTANT: I'm only looking for the BIG categories that are worlds unto themselves.

    Yes I realize there will be overlap. But when you look at the above four categories it is safe to say they each of them represents a specific "path" one could take in IM.

    Note: This says nothing for things like PPC, blogging, SEO, copywriting, articles, etc. These things apply to many if not all of the "big" categories.

    I'm looking for Warrior opinions on what the "big" categories are.

    Thanks everyone,
    Ken
    What about these?Direct Marketer? I've worked for the largest online home luxury supplier online. Direct marketing/advertising is a big category.Consulting/coaching can be considered one. Lets not forget publishing too...
    Signature

    "One Man's Ceiling is Another Man's Floor
    "


    "I Pay Less Attention to What Men Say. I Just Watch What They Do."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[217868].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
      Ken

      Don't forget the tens of thousands of people making a full-time living on eBay.

      Plus all the online store owners selling physical products.

      You've also got CPA and lead generation.

      Then there's adsense/contextual advertising website publishers...


      Hmmm. Seems like there may be a future to this internet marketing lark.



      Frank
      Signature
      TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[217937].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ken Preuss
        Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post

        Site flipper/domain speculator?
        Ahhh yes. Domain flipping could easily be its own big category. Thanks.

        Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

        Ken

        Don't forget the tens of thousands of people making a full-time living on eBay.

        Plus all the online store owners selling physical products.

        You've also got CPA and lead generation.

        Then there's adsense/contextual advertising website publishers...
        Thanks Frank. I sort of lumped physical products into affiliate marketing but realize it is indeed it's own path.

        Question about Ebay:

        Speaking as someone who has done very little with it, is Ebay still considered a reliable path for creating a consistent 6-figure business? I realize many people do well with it but the honeymoon seems to be fading based on what people say about it lately. Thoughts?

        Thanks,
        Ken
        Signature

        Coming soon for all you IM junkies... The Internet Daily Show

        A Secret to Success: Making serious money online or offline is not complex unto itself - we're the ones who complicate it. Simply sell them what they are already buying.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[218185].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
          Originally Posted by Ken Preuss View Post

          Question about Ebay:

          Speaking as someone who has done very little with it, is Ebay still considered a reliable path for creating a consistent 6-figure business? I realize many people do well with it but the honeymoon seems to be fading based on what people say about it lately. Thoughts?
          Hi Ken

          I had a couple of eBay stores up until 18 months ago and I still have a consultancy in a business that started as exclusively eBay, but now is spread across eBay, Amazon, Play etc. so that eBay only represents around 35% of sales.

          I'd say that the initial honeymoon is slightly fading and my impression is that eBay is casting an envious eye on how Amazon are developing. They'll need to rebuild (or reinvent) their reputation before their buyers, who have largely remained loyal so far, finally wake up and realise that eBay are no longer the cheapest online source.

          It's still a reliable (and low risk) entry path for a lot of potential internet marketers - but only if the medium to long term plan is to diversify into other merchandisers and/or their own websites.


          Frank
          Signature
          TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[218204].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Ken Preuss
            Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

            Hi Ken

            I had a couple of eBay stores up until 18 months ago and I still have a consultancy in a business that started as exclusively eBay, but now is spread across eBay, Amazon, Play etc. so that eBay only represents around 35% of sales.

            I'd say that the initial honeymoon is slightly fading and my impression is that eBay is casting an envious eye on how Amazon are developing. They'll need to rebuild (or reinvent) their reputation before their buyers, who have largely remained loyal so far, finally wake up and realise that eBay are no longer the cheapest online source.

            It's still a reliable (and low risk) entry path for a lot of potential internet marketers - but only if the medium to long term plan is to diversify into other merchandisers and/or their own websites.


            Frank
            Frank,

            This is very valuable information. Much appreciated.

            Ken
            Signature

            Coming soon for all you IM junkies... The Internet Daily Show

            A Secret to Success: Making serious money online or offline is not complex unto itself - we're the ones who complicate it. Simply sell them what they are already buying.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[218230].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tenzo
    Site flipper/domain speculator?
    Signature
    Wordpress, From Newbie to Jedi...

    Roses are planted where thorns grow,
    And on the barren heath
    Sing the honey bees.
    –”The Marriage of Heaven and Hell,” William Blake
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[217931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kyle Tully
    1.) Guru basher
    2.) Whinger
    3.) Complainer
    4.) Spammer
    5.) Product leecher
    6.) Dude making money
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[217939].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ken Preuss
      Originally Posted by Kyle Tully View Post

      1.) Guru basher
      2.) Whinger
      3.) Complainer
      4.) Spammer
      5.) Product leecher
      6.) Dude making money
      Hahahaha!! Kyle this post made my day. Hilarious, and scarily true in a lot of cases.

      Thanks,
      Ken
      Signature

      Coming soon for all you IM junkies... The Internet Daily Show

      A Secret to Success: Making serious money online or offline is not complex unto itself - we're the ones who complicate it. Simply sell them what they are already buying.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[218177].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Amy Bass
      Originally Posted by Kyle Tully View Post

      1.) Guru basher
      2.) Whinger
      3.) Complainer
      4.) Spammer
      5.) Product leecher
      6.) Dude making money
      Hmmm.... now I wonder which one of these is the funnest? In all seriousness, I think that you can add:
      Drop shipping and Domaining to that list.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[218279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnnyPhunk
    blogger.

    Pretty easy for someone to start off by blogging and setting up adsense on your blog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[218023].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stanley Tang
    Advertising

    Just look at Google, Facebook, Youtube, Digg... they all make their money from ONE source of income - advertising
    Signature
    eMillions: Behind-The-Scenes Stories of 14 Successful Internet Millionaires
    Get Your Copy of The #1 Best-Seller Now At Amazon For $13.57

    http://www.emillionsbook.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[218284].message }}

Trending Topics