Interesting Test With X-Factor Site & Amazon

12 replies
I have an X-Factor type site that is front page for Google for its keyword/title and has been very faithfully doing a small $15 per month in Adsense.

No big deal, but 1000 such sites would, of course...blah, blah, blah

Anyway, I thought I'd test putting several Amazon text links on the front page, which I did about a month ago.

Result:

1. Adsense clicks went to zero.

2. Amazon clicks are steady but few, with no Amazon revenue.

Might just be the niche (its a particular type and piece of furniture), but thought you might find it interesting.
#amazon #interesting #site #xfactor
  • Profile picture of the author Biggy Fat
    I think with XFactor and Amazon, you'd need to try selling products at the lower end of the spectrum, like between $100 and $300. Depending on the furniture you're trying to sell, it could be a lot higher.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661467].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author terryrayburn
      Originally Posted by Biggy Fat View Post

      I think with XFactor and Amazon, you'd need to try selling products at the lower end of the spectrum, like between $100 and $300. Depending on the furniture you're trying to sell, it could be a lot higher.
      I'm sure you're right.

      And I really wasn't serious about selling furniture. I was more interested in seeing the effect on Adsense clicks.

      I've always heard that if you're serious about Adsense, don't put too many (if any) outbound links for folks to leave your site with.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661752].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author burtonridr2
        Originally Posted by terryrayburn View Post

        I'm sure you're right.

        And I really wasn't serious about selling furniture. I was more interested in seeing the effect on Adsense clicks.

        I've always heard that if you're serious about Adsense, don't put too many (if any) outbound links for folks to leave your site with.
        using the theory of "dont do any outbound links", how do you they leave your site and go to amazon? How do you make the sale?
        Signature
        TIRED of the high cost of medical?

        We can help you SAVE up to 80% on Dental, Prescription, Chiropractic, and Vision for as low as $19.95/mo, Doctor Savings Club
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661777].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author terryrayburn
          Originally Posted by burtonridr2 View Post

          using the theory of "dont do any outbound links", how do you they leave your site and go to amazon? How do you make the sale?
          That's my point.

          I DID put outbound links to Amazon, and it DID kill the Adsense clicks, because the outbound Amazon links were too tempting for the people interested in the subject furniture (but not enough to buy it, so far).

          A different product may have made the Amazon links well worth it, since the Adsense income was relatively small anyway.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661844].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author burtonridr2
            Originally Posted by terryrayburn View Post

            That's my point.

            I DID put outbound links to Amazon, and it DID kill the Adsense clicks, because the outbound Amazon links were too tempting for the people interested in the subject furniture (but not enough to buy it, so far).

            A different product may have made the Amazon links well worth it, since the Adsense income was relatively small anyway.
            Oh, I understand now lol
            Signature
            TIRED of the high cost of medical?

            We can help you SAVE up to 80% on Dental, Prescription, Chiropractic, and Vision for as low as $19.95/mo, Doctor Savings Club
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661853].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mrsparrow
    Maybe you should try signing up to Commission Junction....they have there a lot of vendors which sell furniture and you can become their affiliate. You'll have two main advantages over selling Amazon products:

    1. The commission is bigger 8% -20% or more, depending on the vendor
    2. Cookies stay active for a longer period of time, up to several months, compared to Amazon's 24 hour cookie
    Signature
    Your traffic not converting?
    Omniconvert - the complete CRO tool
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661571].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author terryrayburn
      Originally Posted by Mrsparrow View Post

      Maybe you should try signing up to Commission Junction....they have there a lot of vendors which sell furniture and you can become their affiliate. You'll have two main advantages over selling Amazon products:

      1. The commission is bigger 8% -20% or more, depending on the vendor
      2. Cookies stay active for a longer period of time, up to several months, compared to Amazon's 24 hour cookie
      I appreciate the suggestion. Like I was telling Biggy, I really wanted to see the effect on Adsense.

      Thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Clyde
    Prosperent is a better Amazon alternative but I personally stick to AdSense because of the fast, hassle free WU payment I get each month. Life-changing!
    Signature

    Generate Unlimited Number of Micro Niche Keywords, Multi-threaded EMD Finder PLUS More!




    50% OFF WSO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661896].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      in the subject furniture
      Think "longtails" - someone reaching your site from a generic "furniture" or other rather broad niche - is more likely to be starting their search for a product. Adsense all the way - forget the amazon.

      If the page is about "blue recliners" or "maple corner cabinets" - by all means link to real products as well as using adsense.

      On a general topics, visitors may get "clicked out" through links in your text. On specific items, those links have more interest if they provide the item the person is looking for...and ready to buy.

      kay
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

      You should always be yourself...unless you can be a Unicorn. Then you should always be a Unicorn.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2662004].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author 1byte
        Sorry to hear that your adsense earnings dropped. My experience with this has been completely different. I put Amazon listings on 4 of my "xfactor" adsense sites several months ago, and rather than seeing a decrease in earnings, I've actually seen an increase in CTR and adsense revenue. And I get a few Amazon sales each month to boot.

        Could be the niches I'm in, or some other factors, who knows...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2670306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author erazer
    With some niches, even specific product niches, adsense just won't work sometimes even if you are #1-3. I am converting some of those sites into 100% Amazon sites with no adsense. Where I do have adsense + amazon, I tend to have only a few text links below the fold and of the same color as the rest of the text but underlined. Reasoning is that if they don't click while they are above the fold and take the trouble to read all the way down, there's a chance they might click on a link to get out of the site. Sometimes, I will simply focus on getting the reader off to Amazon asap because a lot of the time, they will buy *something*, and I might as well get paid for it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2673749].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author netlexis
    Are your Amazon text links to early in the article or too close to the the Adsense ads. This is just a theory, but it is how I handle my hubs -- that is, the Adsense ads are up at top half of the article and that's where I hope to capture the reader, but if they don't click the ads, I hope to catch them with a Amazon capsule at the bottom. At this point I'm doing about twice as good with Amazon, but I have a pretty good Adsense conversion, too. Or at least I think it is at this stage

    I just starting to build niche sites, but that's the approach I'm taking with them also. Too soon to tell if that works.

    Good luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2698001].message }}

Trending Topics