How to find tangible products to sell?

by derh
11 replies
Hey guys,

where do I go to find tangible items to sell?

Do I just join Wal-Marts Affiliate program and build a site around one specific product??

or...

is their better way?
#find #products #sell #tangible
  • Profile picture of the author mark587905
    You could try Amazon's affiliate program. People tend to trust Amazon when buying items. I have numerous Amazon sites that earn a good montly income. It does take time and you need to do keyword research on the niches to find one where the competition is low. It doesnt matter if the commision is cents, volume is the key on Amazon.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2751435].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author derh
      Thanks Mark,

      when building your sites around such products do you focus on only one product per site. and without giving to much, what type of content do you put on your sites (mere product discriptions or more).

      Again thanks
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2751493].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author good2go4
        Originally Posted by derh View Post

        Thanks Mark,

        when building your sites around such products do you focus on only one product per site. and without giving to much, what type of content do you put on your sites (mere product discriptions or more).

        Again thanks
        The type of content you put up on your site would depend on the niche. Some of the ways you could go would be to create a review site (if you know something about the product you are selling) - this would also allow you to create some comparison reviews - that way you could promote more than one product on the page.

        The idea about how many products per site is not something I have tested. In the first instance I would definitely stick to 1 - 5 products per niche - that way you can create content over some different but related keywords, that the reader will find helpful and this will help pre-sell them on the product.

        Best of luck
        Lisa
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2751573].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author derh
          Originally Posted by good2go4 View Post

          The type of content you put up on your site would depend on the niche. Some of the ways you could go would be to create a review site (if you know something about the product you are selling) - this would also allow you to create some comparison reviews - that way you could promote more than one product on the page.
          Thanks Lisa,

          I'm assuming that I don't need to buy every product I'm selling. How do I do a review over products I don't own?

          And do you outsource the construction of your sites?

          Thanks again
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2751747].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winsoar
    I'd recommend doing it the other way round - finding a drop shipper and listing the items on Amazon.
    Signature

    Visit my official blog: James Winsoar and learn how to generate 30+ new FREE leads a day on auto-pilot!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2751547].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author derh
      thanks winsoar,

      It's been at least 3 years since I have even looked for a drop shipper. I recall they are hard to find. Were would you recommend me to go to find a good one?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2751565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author phpnetpro
    Drop shipping can be a more complicated situation to get yourself into for a couple of reasons (I did drop shipping once upon a time).

    #1 - You won't be the only one selling those products but you'll be at the bottom of the volume chain, which means your prices will be the highest.

    #2 - You usually need a retail license (check state laws). This usually costs money and can sometimes require other licensing. My state lets you do it in your own name for only $50, but I did notice my state is one of the cheapest in that area.

    #3 - You have to provide the customer support

    #4 - Now that you have a retail license and are selling products yourself, you have to collect sales tax when you sell to your state (you may even have to do it for texas if your web server is in their state)

    #5 - In combination with #4, you have to submit your collected sales taxes along with monthly reports. Sure, you can end up keeping some of this money but it won't amount to much. It's more of a headache than it's worth.

    #6 - You can't just decide to stop all of a sudden one day and walk away from it - the Department of Revenue will come looking for you to get their retail license back, lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2751791].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hometutor
      You know companies such as Amway Global give you a website and do the drop shipping. A lot of people don't think about them, but they have contracts with some huge store chains.

      Rick
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2751808].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
      Banned
      Originally Posted by phpnetpro View Post

      Drop shipping can be a more complicated situation to get yourself into for a couple of reasons (I did drop shipping once upon a time).

      #1 - You won't be the only one selling those products but you'll be at the bottom of the volume chain, which means your prices will be the highest.

      #2 - You usually need a retail license (check state laws). This usually costs money and can sometimes require other licensing. My state lets you do it in your own name for only $50, but I did notice my state is one of the cheapest in that area.

      #3 - You have to provide the customer support

      #4 - Now that you have a retail license and are selling products yourself, you have to collect sales tax when you sell to your state (you may even have to do it for texas if your web server is in their state)

      #5 - In combination with #4, you have to submit your collected sales taxes along with monthly reports. Sure, you can end up keeping some of this money but it won't amount to much. It's more of a headache than it's worth.

      #6 - You can't just decide to stop all of a sudden one day and walk away from it - the Department of Revenue will come looking for you to get their retail license back, lol.
      1. You think he'll be the only one promoting Amazon products? Depending on what he sells, he won't have the highest prices either. I never did, for the most part. Amazon sells the same things I do at the same, or just a few dollars less, and people still buy from me all day long.

      2. Maybe, maybe not. I don't have one. Even if you do, so what? It's called running a real business.

      3. And? I have 4 different e-commerce sites that use drop shippers. You know how much customer service I do? Almost none. Maybe an email or two a day, tops.

      4. Which takes zero effort. That's what shopping carts are for.

      5. I pay sales taxes every quarter. It takes about 10 minutes. That includes walking to the mailbox. It's 9 if I pay them online. I wish all my headaches were that minor.

      6. Yes you can. It takes 3 minutes to fill out the "out of business" form, at least in my state. That also includes walking to the mailbox.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2753208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luke McCormack
    Would go with Amazon for the reason Mark explained........trust.

    Would recommend bunching a group of products. For example, domain name: solar lights
    Product: xxx solar light, bbb solar light etc

    Best regards

    Nigel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2751806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author armandortega
    Go to alibaba.
    I gave the link to a friend and just last month he started buying 128 gigas flash memoies por $20 dollars a piece. He is selling them among friends for $50 dollars.
    There are sellerrs in the site that will let you buy a trial small order, and many will sell you even just 1 prroduct (it depends on what product it is --industrial product, for example.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2751933].message }}

Trending Topics