I'm new to this game and was looking for advice.

18 replies
I should be starting a marketing program through my employer next year in the hope of landing a job in marketing. To get into this role they are looking for someone to show them what they can do. I'm looking at getting some experience in beforehand to give me a head start. I have been chatting to someone who has been making quite a bit of profit online, and he seems to really enjoy the buzz he gets from it as well. I'm not looking at making millions (although it would be nice) just to make a little extra money, and have a bit of fun along the way. I already have some great ideas for sites and ways to attract people to them. I just want to know what some people think is the best way to get started, and if anyone had any advice so i could make some cash from it. I have done some freelance sports writing in the past, and have also done some other entrepreneurial stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
#advice #game
  • Profile picture of the author Josh Richardson
    I would find a product from clickbank on IM.

    Then DO NOT buy anymore products.

    Absorb what you have learnt and please for the love of god TAKE ACTION.

    Thats all it takes.

    Master one thing, then move on.

    Good luck

    Josh
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2834344].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author michaelkennedy
    Cheers Josh.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2834375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sonamlama
    Originally Posted by michaelkennedy View Post

    I already have some great ideas for sites and ways to attract people to them. I just want to know what some people think is the best way to get started, and if anyone had any advice so i could make some cash from it. I have done some freelance sports writing in the past, and have also done some other entrepreneurial stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Mike
    Hey Mike,

    Since you're pretty new to the internet marketing game, I would advise that you DO NOT go ahead and create your own product just yet, because there is a steep learning curve for creating your first product and it will take a lot of your time since you're just beginning.

    What I do highly recommend you do, since it seems you want fast results, is to dive into Affiliate Marketing.

    The reason is simply because you can make a suplementary or even a main income from affiliate marketing, depending on how much time and effort you put into a campaign. And equally as important, you will greatly increase your understanding of how internet marketing and making money online actually works.

    You see, affiliate marketing is basically you promoting a merchants website and they give you commission on the sales you generate or the click throughs you send.

    There are a number of methods that you can use to make money from affiliate marketing both on and offline.

    Some methods include using your own website (which you mentioned you have several awesome ideas for and ways to attract people), mailing lists you have built up, ebooks, blogs, video blogs, forums, PPC advertising, local media advertising, and custom software.

    And so, I suggest you try out affiliate marketing, because it can be highly lucrative for you, you won't have to create your own product, and can be quite fun as well.

    Hope this helps.

    Sonam
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2834416].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author michaelkennedy
      Some man Sonam! So would i create a site first with some interesting content and then approach people about being an affiliate? I have been reading about the importance of keywords etc. I'm just not sure about the best way to get the ball rolling. Thanks for taking the time.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2834435].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sonamlama
        Originally Posted by michaelkennedy View Post

        Some man Sonam! So would i create a site first with some interesting content and then approach people about being an affiliate? I have been reading about the importance of keywords etc. I'm just not sure about the best way to get the ball rolling. Thanks for taking the time.
        As a newbie to affiliate marketing, to get the ball rolling, I recommend you to focus your efforts and time on building your LIST.

        You will often hear throughout your online journey, the phrase, "the money is in the list!".

        And although this is 100% true, you will learn that the money is in the relationship with your list.

        So, with that said, I would advise you to:

        Step 1: Grab your Domain Name

        Just go to Godaddy.com and purchase a domain name using a coupon code from "fatwallet.com" that you can find by going to google and typing in "godaddy coupon code". This will allow you to purchase a domain for $7.49.

        Step 2: Get your opt-in page done, up and running.

        The best and cheapest place for getting this done is "ScriptLance.com".

        Step 3: Your Free Give-Away

        Take a few days and just create a solid 10 page report with good information, that’s more than enough! You can also outsource it if you want.

        Step 4: Get The Free Report Cover Designed

        Once again, use Scritplance.com or if you have the skills you can do it yourself.

        I suggest just spending about $20 and get a nice one designed, it’ll help in your conversions.

        Step 5: Grab Your Aweber Account

        My experience with Aweber has been awesome. They offer great customer support and are very reliable. They're simply the best autoresponder on the market.

        Just go and grab your $1 trial for your first month.

        Step 6: A Good Affiliate Program To Promote

        Go to Clickbank.com and just grab a good product you like, get your affiliate link for it.

        Step 7: Test Your Opt-In Page

        Opt-in yourself and make sure it’s working well!

        Step 8: Start Driving Traffic!

        Post on forums like the warriorforum with your compelling "signature link"
        Create a Facebook and Twitter account and start building up your following and relationship with your followers. Then funnel them to your opt-in page after you have that strong relationship.

        This a great way to start in IM and I must say the "most profitable" as an affiliate because you'll soon realize most affiliates drive traffic to a sales page and try to sell to their visitors right away.

        By doing this they decrease their conversions and more importantly eliminate the opportunity of marketing to that same visitor again. And so, building your email list will allow you to not only form a strong "relationship" with your customers but will also allow you as an affiliate to market more products down the road.

        Hope this helps.

        Sonam
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2834595].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Josh Richardson
          Originally Posted by sonamlama View Post

          As a newbie to affiliate marketing, to get the ball rolling, I recommend you to focus your efforts and time on building your LIST.

          You will often hear throughout your online journey, the phrase, "the money is in the list!".

          And although this is 100% true, you will learn that the money is in the relationship with your list.

          So, with that said, I would advise you to:

          Step 1: Grab your Domain Name

          Just go to Godaddy.com and purchase a domain name using a coupon code from "fatwallet.com" that you can find by going to google and typing in "godaddy coupon code". This will allow you to purchase a domain for $7.49.

          Step 2: Get your opt-in page done, up and running.

          The best and cheapest place for getting this done is "ScriptLance.com".

          Step 3: Your Free Give-Away

          Take a few days and just create a solid 10 page report with good information, that's more than enough! You can also outsource it if you want.

          Step 4: Get The Free Report Cover Designed

          Once again, use Scritplance.com or if you have the skills you can do it yourself.

          I suggest just spending about $20 and get a nice one designed, it'll help in your conversions.

          Step 5: Grab Your Aweber Account

          My experience with Aweber has been awesome. They offer great customer support and are very reliable. They're simply the best autoresponder on the market.

          Just go and grab your $1 trial for your first month.

          Step 6: A Good Affiliate Program To Promote

          Go to Clickbank.com and just grab a good product you like, get your affiliate link for it.

          Step 7: Test Your Opt-In Page

          Opt-in yourself and make sure it's working well!

          Step 8: Start Driving Traffic!

          Post on forums like the warriorforum with your compelling "signature link"
          Create a Facebook and Twitter account and start building up your following and relationship with your followers. Then funnel them to your opt-in page after you have that strong relationship.

          This a great way to start in IM and I must say the "most profitable" as an affiliate because you'll soon realize most affiliates drive traffic to a sales page and try to sell to their visitors right away.

          By doing this they decrease their conversions and more importantly eliminate the opportunity of marketing to that same visitor again. And so, building your email list will allow you to not only form a strong "relationship" with your customers but will also allow you as an affiliate to market more products down the road.

          Hope this helps.

          Sonam

          On second thoughts, do this mate. (chances are with my advice youd end up finding a hyped up CB product - it was alot different when i started!)

          fantastic response. No BS straight to the point. ALL the guys making big money will tell you "The Money Is In The List" - and the advice above is how you can build your list.

          A list is an asset for life.

          Take action on this, it will pay off!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2835070].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author sonamlama
            Originally Posted by Josh Richardson View Post

            On second thoughts, do this mate. (chances are with my advice you'd end up finding a hyped up CB product - it was alot different when i started!)

            fantastic response. No BS straight to the point. ALL the guys making big money will tell you "The Money Is In The List" - and the advice above is how you can build your list.

            A list is an asset for life.

            Take action on this, it will pay off!
            Couldn't agree with you more Josh. "The Money Is In The List".

            It's just that so many people either don't even attempt to build a list or give up way to soon to see any real results from their growing subscriber list.

            I for one am going to focus on list building, because as you said, "it will pay off!"

            Cheers.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2846185].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author cnrimgr1
          Originally Posted by sonamlama View Post

          As a newbie to affiliate marketing, to get the ball rolling, I recommend you to focus your efforts and time on building your LIST.

          You will often hear throughout your online journey, the phrase, "the money is in the list!".

          And although this is 100% true, you will learn that the money is in the relationship with your list.

          So, with that said, I would advise you to:

          Step 1: Grab your Domain Name

          Just go to Godaddy.com and purchase a domain name using a coupon code from "fatwallet.com" that you can find by going to google and typing in "godaddy coupon code". This will allow you to purchase a domain for $7.49.

          Step 2: Get your opt-in page done, up and running.

          The best and cheapest place for getting this done is "ScriptLance.com".

          Step 3: Your Free Give-Away

          Take a few days and just create a solid 10 page report with good information, that's more than enough! You can also outsource it if you want.

          Step 4: Get The Free Report Cover Designed

          Once again, use Scritplance.com or if you have the skills you can do it yourself.

          I suggest just spending about $20 and get a nice one designed, it'll help in your conversions.

          Step 5: Grab Your Aweber Account

          My experience with Aweber has been awesome. They offer great customer support and are very reliable. They're simply the best autoresponder on the market.

          Just go and grab your $1 trial for your first month.

          Step 6: A Good Affiliate Program To Promote

          Go to Clickbank.com and just grab a good product you like, get your affiliate link for it.

          Step 7: Test Your Opt-In Page

          Opt-in yourself and make sure it's working well!

          Step 8: Start Driving Traffic!

          Post on forums like the warriorforum with your compelling "signature link"
          Create a Facebook and Twitter account and start building up your following and relationship with your followers. Then funnel them to your opt-in page after you have that strong relationship.

          This a great way to start in IM and I must say the "most profitable" as an affiliate because you'll soon realize most affiliates drive traffic to a sales page and try to sell to their visitors right away.

          By doing this they decrease their conversions and more importantly eliminate the opportunity of marketing to that same visitor again. And so, building your email list will allow you to not only form a strong "relationship" with your customers but will also allow you as an affiliate to market more products down the road.

          Hope this helps.

          Sonam

          Awesome advice. My personal favorite products were Info product killer, One week marketing, and bring the fresh. All have their pros and cons and all are useful. I am sure their are plenty more fabulous products. Important to read an honest review or case study so you don't waste your time or money.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2835112].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author sonamlama
            Originally Posted by cnrimgr1 View Post

            Awesome advice. My personal favorite products were Info product killer, One week marketing, and bring the fresh. All have their pros and cons and all are useful. I am sure their are plenty more fabulous products. Important to read an honest review or case study so you don't waste your time or money.
            I'm glad you found the advice helpful.

            As for your three listed products, I could not help but point out that for "Info Product Killer" the man claims he makes $112,279 PER MONTH and can help you make $37,000 a month. And the funniest part is that it's priced at $37...I mean come on?!! A $37 investment to then making $37,000 a month? Did you even use this system, cnrimgr1? It would be great if you shared your experience with it...
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2846249].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Holmes
    Hey Michael,

    I cannot recommend this enough for people in similar situations to yourself.

    It is all part of a marketing funnel but ultimately, the info in the course will give you a very strong footing to go on and get that job.

    The Challenge

    GL with the job buddy!
    Signature
    "Live like you'll die tomorrow, Learn like you'll live forever" - M. Ghandi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2834443].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author michaelkennedy
      Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

      Hey Michael,

      I cannot recommend this enough for people in similar situations to yourself.

      It is all part of a marketing funnel but ultimately, the info in the course will give you a very strong footing to go on and get that job.


      GL with the job buddy!
      Just had a quick look at the challenge and it looks like some quite interesting stuff. Thanks for the good wishes, i will keep everyone updated on how i get on.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2834467].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Ford
    Hi Michael
    Its a very common question that a great deal of people have when starting online, and my suggestion would be to get involved in an area that you are really interested in, or a subject you have some prior knowledge.
    If you dont have a product of your own then try affiliate marketing to start of with and see if you can make some money that way, and then use the same techniques you used to make some money, then rack it up with your own product, thereby keeping all of the profit.
    Then when you have a successful product of your own, recruit an army of affiliates to sell it for you...
    Let me know if i can be of help Michael....
    Signature

    It is my sincere desire to help as many people achieve what ever they want to believe that they can achieve. Self Help Man

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2834458].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author michaelkennedy
      Originally Posted by David Ford View Post

      Hi Michael
      Its a very common question that a great deal of people have when starting online, and my suggestion would be to get involved in an area that you are really interested in, or a subject you have some prior knowledge.
      If you dont have a product of your own then try affiliate marketing to start of with and see if you can make some money that way, and then use the same techniques you used to make some money, then rack it up with your own product, thereby keeping all of the profit.
      Then when you have a successful product of your own, recruit an army of affiliates to sell it for you...
      Let me know if i can be of help Michael....
      Thank you David. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2834475].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Ford
    If you are looking for a general product that absolutely everyone is interested in Michael have a look at The Master Blueprints program by clicking the link in my signature...

    The reason I say this, is that to be successful in anything, requires the right mindset, and this will help to kick start anyones career whether online or not...

    Let me know what you think.
    Signature

    It is my sincere desire to help as many people achieve what ever they want to believe that they can achieve. Self Help Man

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2834494].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author steveshoemaker
    I agree with not creating your own product from the jump. That can be a lot of work in and of itself and you don't need the overload right now.

    Also the suggestion to go with clickbank is a good one. You have a background in sports marketing find something in that niche in the internet marketing category.

    Probably a great time for that with football getting heated up and basketball going strong.

    Good luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2834507].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author michaelkennedy
      Originally Posted by steveshoemaker View Post

      I agree with not creating your own product from the jump. That can be a lot of work in and of itself and you don't need the overload right now.

      Also the suggestion to go with clickbank is a good one. You have a background in sports marketing find something in that niche in the internet marketing category.

      Probably a great time for that with football getting heated up and basketball going strong.

      Good luck
      Thanks Steve. This clickbank sounds interesting. I will need to do some research on it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2834597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joetheseo
    Advice: Make sure the person you learn from is credible. Don't be tempted to download 1,000 blackhat systems. Learn from one of the intelligent big boys, like Steve Clayton & Tim Godfrey, Frank Kern, etc, etc... Trust what they say and TAKE ACTION, that is the most important thing to remember!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2835111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gloria Joseph
    I can see you been given a lot of advice already. But I would suggest you consider having a mentor - who will teach you with examples, this way you will learn better and sure to succeed since the mentor will be teaching the same methods they use themselves. Goodluck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2848051].message }}

Trending Topics