Procedure when building a list

by BoJon
22 replies
Usually when I sign up as a subscriber to a mailing list it is because someone offering some free report or something like that. Then I usually get a mail where I have to confirm my subscription. Then when I click the link in this mail to confirm, I usually end up on a confirmation page that thanks me for subscribing. Then I get an e-mail with a link to download the free report.

So the procedure is:
1) Sign up
2) Get an e-mail and click to confirm the subscription
3) End up on a confirmation page (website)
4) Get an e-mail with a link to the free report or maybe e-book

Now I want to build my own list and I was wondering about this procedure. For instance is there a reason for getting a link instead of a file attached to the mail? I mean in Aweber there is the possibility to attach a file to the message so why send a link?

Then I wonder. If I should send them a link, why not put it up directly on the website along with the confirmation messages in step 3 ? Then I don't have to send them any second mail (step 4).

So this is some things that I wondering about. Things that can smooth up the process and reduce any unnecessary step. :confused:
#building #list #procedure
  • Profile picture of the author Dave Lianelli
    Hey Bojon,

    it's great that you use creative thinking and see this as a process. There's lots of waste in most processes. In the attached PDF you can find a detailed breakdown of your process and how mine looks.

    (don't expect anything fancy, it's a one-minute thing!)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3505786].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WhamSoft
      Hi,

      I have many of my sites setup like this:

      Opt in page
      Confirm email page
      Confirmation email
      Thanks for confirming page (includes download details)
      Follow up email #1, here is the item you requested (links to above page)

      This is a really simple setup, you could add in one time offer or other optional items though often the simple systems work best.

      Lee
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3505942].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jouvan Johnson
        Originally Posted by WhamSoft View Post

        Hi,

        I have many of my sites setup like this:

        Opt in page
        Confirm email page
        Confirmation email
        Thanks for confirming page (includes download details)
        Follow up email #1, here is the item you requested (links to above page)

        This is a really simple setup, you could add in one time offer or other optional items though often the simple systems work best.

        Lee
        This is the set up I use also.. may go and play around and try something new
        Signature
        100% FREE 1 PAGE BUSINESS PLAN
        How To Build A 6 Figure Internet Business In Your Spare Time Without Quitting Your Day Job...
        ...wasting lots of money or joining some shady business opportunity
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3506209].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Trieu
      Originally Posted by Dave Lianelli View Post

      Hey Bojon,

      it's great that you use creative thinking and see this as a process. There's lots of waste in most processes. In the attached PDF you can find a detailed breakdown of your process and how mine looks.

      (don't expect anything fancy, it's a one-minute thing!)
      When you say social media, I assume you mean put a 'like' box link on your download page to your fanpage, is that correct?
      Signature

      ======================================
      "$100 On eBay with just 10 Minutes Work! {120+ copies SOLD}"

      ======================================
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    Originally Posted by BoJon View Post

    For instance is there a reason for getting a link instead of a file attached to the mail? I mean in Aweber there is the possibility to attach a file to the message so why send a link?
    Nowadays a lot of people will be very wary about opening any emails with attachments in them - especially from someone they don't really know. It also increases the chances of your email ending up in their spam/trash folder. This is why you need to use a link and send them to your website instead.

    Originally Posted by BoJon View Post

    Then I wonder. If I should send them a link, why not put it up directly on the website along with the confirmation messages in step 3 ? Then I don't have to send them any second mail (step 4).
    The reason you do not put the download link on the confirmation page is because people will have no reason to go and confirm their email address if they have already received the free gift.

    The whole idea of this process is that people optin and they are under the understanding that they need to confirm their email address before they will receive the free gift.

    ***EDIT***

    Sorry, I think I misread your post. You were asking why not put it on the page they see when they click on the confirmation link? Many people will do it this way. The reason you also send an email right away is for those people who just close the confirmation page because they don't realise the download is on that same page.

    There will also be those people who don't have the time to go through your freebie right away so sending them that email means they will have the download link in their inbox if they wish to come back to it later.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3505964].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Eamon Diamond
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      Nowadays a lot of people will be very wary about opening any emails with attachments in them - especially from someone they don't really know. It also increases the chances of your email ending up in their spam/trash folder. This is why you need to use a link and send them to your website instead.



      The reason you do not put the download link on the confirmation page is because people will have no reason to go and confirm their email address if they have already received the free gift.

      The whole idea of this process is that people optin and they are under the understanding that they need to confirm their email address before they will receive the free gift.

      ***EDIT***

      Sorry, I think I misread your post. You were asking why not put it on the page they see when they click on the confirmation link? Many people will do it this way. The reason you also send an email right away is for those people who just close the confirmation page because they don't realise the download is on that same page.

      There will also be those people who don't have the time to go through your freebie right away so sending them that email means they will have the download link in their inbox if they wish to come back to it later.
      Willr has covered it well, sometimes newbies don't know all the procedures to go through, so it's best to send an email follow up.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3506369].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BoJon
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      ***EDIT***

      Sorry, I think I misread your post. You were asking why not put it on the page they see when they click on the confirmation link? Many people will do it this way. The reason you also send an email right away is for those people who just close the confirmation page because they don't realise the download is on that same page.

      There will also be those people who don't have the time to go through your freebie right away so sending them that email means they will have the download link in their inbox if they wish to come back to it later.
      Makes sense! Didn't think about that. This is a very good reason to send the product through a mail, and from now on I'm gonna use a link instead.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3681308].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author garryhey
      You say in your profile that you don't mind helping beginners. Well you've got another Aussie here who is struggling with the list building/AWeber concept. Hope you can help, as I am going round and round in circles. I fix one thing, which botches another.

      I have created 3 pages in Kompozer.

      1. squeeze page
      2. thank you page
      3. download page

      I am getting my thank you/confirmation/download all mucked up and was wondering if you would mentor/help me through this process, as this is the basis for me starting to build my list

      I use AWeber and have set up a web form etc for an eBook giveaway.

      I manually transfer raw html code to Kompozer

      I use filezilla to upload to my host

      I have had to remove my links from this message as I haven't posted sufficient posts to date. I am not sure if I can post you a private message

      Regards
      Garry
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4037444].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Akin Alabi
    Originally Posted by BoJon View Post


    Then I wonder. If I should send them a link, why not put it up directly on the website along with the confirmation messages in step 3 ? Then I don't have to send them any second mail (step 4).

    So this is some things that I wondering about. Things that can smooth up the process and reduce any unnecessary step. :confused:
    Of course you can do it that way. Its a matter of choice.

    I dont use Aweber but I know there will be a place where you can configure that page in such a way that they can download your report rather than just thank you after confitmation.

    Its quite easy on Getresponse and I'm sure it will be equally easy at Aweber as well.
    Signature

    Proudly Nigerian!

    http://www.nairabet.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3506397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trieu
    That is the procedure I use too and personally I would prefer to use an a attachment rather than a download link. Mainly because it feels more personal as if the sender has personally attach their file just for you, so you are more likely to download it.

    Also, on the confirmation link, I will put an one time offer page, just before they recieve the 2nd email for the download link.
    Signature

    ======================================
    "$100 On eBay with just 10 Minutes Work! {120+ copies SOLD}"

    ======================================
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3682990].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yakim1
      I don't worry about security any more and put a link to a download page in the email. I always use a dynamic download page so it is limited as to how many time the person can open it.

      The links on the download page are hiden so their path to the product can't be seen or copied. The file names that show up are Get_file1.html, Get_file2.html and are not actually the real names of my download files.

      Plus by using a download page I can make other offers on the download page itself over deliver and give an unadvertised bonus, which will probably put them on another list. When you get the email message if you opt-in to see how my process works, you will see my download page and more offers.

      Here that sample squeeze page again, I almost forgot this is a new post...


      Opt-In Secrets

      A problem with attaching a product to and email message is that some email clients will only allow very small attachements and you could have a delivery problem.

      Steve Yakim
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3691109].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Coby
    Here is how I run most of my IM lists:

    1. single opt-in
    2. OTO
    3. Thanks Page
    4. download link comes in message one while they are reading the OTO

    Of course single (unconfirmed) opt-in is not available with all AR companies (mailchimp is required confirmed (double) opt-in) but it saves a step.

    Good Luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683169].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GarryMSayer
      Originally Posted by Coby View Post

      Here is how I run most of my IM lists:

      1. single opt-in
      2. OTO
      3. Thanks Page
      4. download link comes in message one while they are reading the OTO

      Of course single (unconfirmed) opt-in is not available with all AR companies (mailchimp is required confirmed (double) opt-in) but it saves a step.

      Good Luck
      Absolutely, throw in a one-time offer (OTO) and try and turn each subscriber into a buyer and get them on your "buyers" mailing list. That's the list you'll see a lot more backend profits from.

      Your OTO can be something you've created yourself or some PLR. The price should be discounted from the regular price, this is what makes the offer more compelling. And state how much of a discount, if they act today, they'll receive i.e. 50% off, 75% off. etc.

      If they buy the OTO consider a complimentary affiliate product as an upsell on the OTO download page, not forgeting to include an opt-in to your "buyers" list. Offer them a great incentive to opt-in to the buyers list i.e. subscription to a customer-only ezine, additional bonus product etc.

      You're leaving a lot of money on the table if you don't at least try and encourage your free subscriber to buy something in your sales funnel at a significantly discounted price. Heck, I've made money from some of the ugliest OTO pages you'll see in your life!

      Hope this helps.

      Garry.

      P.S. Remember this, a forced opt-in is against paypal's TOS. Give them the option to opt-in to your "buyers" list, but make it an offer they simply can't refuse.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3691028].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yakim1
        I really need to look at PayPal rules because I don't know if they talk about forced optin. I think the violation has to do with the landing page not having a link to the download. By requiring someone to opt-in before they can get to the purchased product is blocking their path to the product unless they opt-in.

        My software collects their name and email address from the IPN, which the customer never sees. The thank you page or landing page does tell them that the product has been registered and they could receive updates and other announcements. It also says they have 24 hours to download the product before the link becomes inactive. It also has the required paypal disclaimer.

        With my system the customer is still forced to sign up to my buyer's list but there is no squeeze page or form to stop the customer from receiving his or her products.

        This is allowed by PayPal.

        People who use a squeeze page after the purchase are really taking a chance in getting their PayPal accounts shut down. All it would probably take is one complaint.

        I hope this helps,
        Steve Yakim
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3691166].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author GarryMSayer
          Originally Posted by yakim1 View Post

          I really need to look at PayPal rules because I don't know if they talk about forced optin. I think the violation has to do with the landing page not having a link to the download. By requiring someone to opt-in before they can get to the purchased product is blocking their path to the product unless they opt-in.
          That's it, exactly. If through your opt-in is the only path to the download page then this IS a forced opt-in.

          I generally have some text beneath the opt-in (hyperlinked to the download page) similar to this :

          No thanks Garry/Pen Name just take me to the download page

          Originally Posted by yakim1 View Post

          My software collects their name and email address from the IPN, which the customer never sees. The thank you page or landing page does tell them that the product has been registered and they could receive updates and other announcements. It also says they have 24 hours to download the product before the link becomes inactive. It also has the required paypal disclaimer.

          With my system the customer is still forced to sign up to my buyer's list but there is no squeeze page or form to stop the customer from receiving his or her products.

          This is allowed by PayPal.
          Interesting, your software sounds similar to RAP, Nanacast and WSO Pro here, right?

          I thought the first email you send to your customer, if it is sent automatically and not through an opt-in, is a confirmation, because your customer has to actually agree to be on your list and receive emails from you.

          Originally Posted by yakim1 View Post

          People who use a squeeze page after the purchase are really taking a chance in getting their PayPal accounts shut down. All it would probably take is one complaint.
          A similar conversation is taking place on a private forum I'm a member of right now, hence my interest in this thread. Many marketers (some big names too) are sailing a bit too close to the wind with their forced opt-ins so I hope they read this thread.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3691643].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author yakim1
            Originally Posted by GarryMSayer View Post

            That's it, exactly. If through your opt-in is the only path to the download page then this IS a forced opt-in.

            I generally have some text beneath the opt-in (hyperlinked to the download page) similar to this :

            No thanks Garry/Pen Name just take me to the download page



            Interesting, the automatic sign-up is similar to RAP, Nanacast and WSO Pro here right?

            Only I thought the first email you send to your customer has top be a confirmation, because they have to agree to be on your list. If they don't then isn't that against most AutoResponders TOS?
            I've been working on my script for over 4 years now and should be releasing it to the public toward the end of the year and it should change the way Internet marketing is done. Sid Hale, who is the owner of the RAP script, wrote my first payment process for my script.

            But now we almost have PayPal's Adaptive API finished where marketers will be able to do parallel and preaproved payments, which means all parties to a payment will receive their pay at the point of sale directly into their PayPal accounts on every sale. Even on rebilling of recurring payments or payment plans. There will be no more waiting to receive commission payments because they will ALL be instant.

            This will also mean that no more w-9 tax records will be necessary. Anyway I still believe the person will still have to confirm to get on the buyer's list if double opt-in is used after a sale, even if collected by the IPN.

            Some other big changes my script will bring is it has a squeeze module. If you examine my opt-in form on my squeeze page it does not belong to any autoresponder. The autoresponder form codes are all in one place, in the squeeze module. There are no form codes on any of my squeeze pages.

            All I have to do is copy and paste the autoresponder form code in the squeeze module and I just need to put a token on the actual place I want a opt-in form to appear. So if I need to make a change in any of my autoresponder form codes, I never have to edit the squeeze page again, I just make the change in the squeeze module.

            My script overrides ALL autoresponder redirects so when I create my form code for any squeeze process, I don't even enter any redirects. So, the confirm message that an autoresponder like Aweber or Getresponse is never seen by the visitor. The redirects are entered in the squeeze module so it is really easy to make changes to redirects.

            My script can incorporate any autoresponder right into the script. There is a partner module that will allow any partner the admin wants to collect the same subscriber list as the admin.

            Carl Galletti and I are just about to launch a site called ReadySqueeze.com. With my script, I'm able to create a squeeze page and allow members to use the squeeze page by connecting their autoresponders to these pages in the member tools area. The squeeze pages are automatically branded with the member's name. The reports that are given away are automatically branded with the member's affiliate links.

            I can show you the branding...


            http://ReadySqueeze.com/Prod66_a_1.html

            http://ReadySqueeze.com/Prod66_a_5.html

            These are both the same squeeze page but one is branded with my name and the other is Molly Wolly, my little dog. The only difference is the member id in the link to the squeeze page.

            Because my script controlls all the redirects and not the autoresponder, I have given the members complete control over the redirects. Since these squeeze pages, over a hundred in 30 different niches are hosted on my server and affiliates just need an autoresponder to build a list when promoting affiliate products.

            I would like to make 2 offers to people monitoring or commenting in this thread...

            In exchange for a testimonial, I will give you free lifetime access to ReadySqueeze.com as a beta tester. Just PM me and I will send you the signup link.

            The second offer is to affiliate program owners. If you have an affiliate program and want your product promoted by the members of ReadySqueeze.com. There are several way the members will automatically promote your products and the sales will be between you and the member as far as commission for sales of your products.

            Your products will be advertised in the pdfs the members giveaway, on the download pages and the members can redirect directly to your salesletters. There is no cost to you for this advertising. Again, just PM me and I will get the details to you. We will be launching as soon as the new Adaptive API is completed and approved by PayPal.

            I'm also monitoring this thread to see if anyone has something new in this list building process.

            Steve Yakim
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3691949].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author yakim1
              I also need some help. Does anyone have a PLR report about software? Software sells like hotcakes and I don't have a squeeze page that gives away a report on software in general. So member's can use the software squeeze page if they want to redirect to a software product.

              Let me know!

              Steve Yakim
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3692047].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yakim1
    Coby has the process almost correct. This is the process no matter if you use single or double opt-in...

    Opt-in
    Smoothover auto redirect
    sales letter

    The download link for the report or bribe from the squeeze page is delivered by email so if it is single opt-in the email with the download link will be waiting in their email inbox.

    If double opt-in the confirm message will be waiting in their email inbox and will still have to confirm to receive their freebie.

    The smoothover auto redirect is a page that the new subscriber sees for only 3 or 4 seconds that says...

    Your Gift Has Been Emailed To You
    But First...
    You May Be Interested in Seeing This...

    This message lets the new subscriber know that their freebie will arrive in their email inbox. And it lets them know that you are showing them something different but related to the freebie. Your making a recommendation.

    This is really only 2 steps because the smoothover is automatic.

    Here is a demonstration of the proccess...

    Opt-In Secrets

    Another thing I put on all my squeeze pages that help to increase conversions is a "Learn More" button. I put this just below the opt-in form. Look for it in the example above. This button reconfirms to the visitor what you want them to do.

    Because they click the button to get more information and a message pops up telling them to fill out their name and email address above to get more information. You can get the code to do this "Learn More" buttom by viewing the source code of the example squeeze page link above.

    Another thing I do is put a peel ad in the top right corner of my squeeze page, which opens another squeeze page in a new window for a 7-day eCourse. This also improves my conversion rate for getting a subscriber.

    If the visitor supscribes to my ecourse the form on the squeeze page goes away because it is in an iframe on the squeeze page. A message appears in its place with the following message...

    Your Sponsor, Steve Yakim, Has Just Sent Your First Lesson To You!
    Your first lesson is now being sent to your email inbox and should arrive in 5 or 10 minutes.

    Close this page to continue what your were doing.

    Wishing You Much online success,

    Steve A. Yakim

    When they close that squeeze page they are right back on the original squeeze page, which gives me a chance to get them on another list.

    Another thing I do is put an order link on the squeeze page where the visitor can purchase the report for $7.00 if they don't want to opt-in to get the report. This gives the report real value and they want it even more.

    It says...

    We are selling this report here for $7. But you can get it FREE if you act now!

    Be sure to look at all the different strategies I put into my squeeze pages. That is why I have a huge list.

    I add quite a process to my list building stategies that really improve my conversion rates. You should really try all these elements out so you understand the power of this system. You can always unsubscribe.

    I have other list building strategies that I use. Maybe I should write a report and sell it as a WSO

    Let me know what you think.

    I hope this has been helpful,
    Steve Yakim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3690941].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RichMag
      The one time offer has been huge for me. Actually, I dont think that I use a OTO as I put it on my download page and say something to the effect "Before you download you Free Product, check out this great offer...."

      I end up getting a few sales that way (nothing to write home about) but they do pay for any solo ads that I might want to buy.

      Originally Posted by yakim1 View Post

      Coby has the process almost correct. This is the process no matter if you use single or double opt-in...

      Opt-in
      Smoothover auto redirect
      sales letter

      The download link for the report or bribe from the squeeze page is delivered by email so if it is single opt-in the email with the download link will be waiting in their email inbox.

      If double opt-in the confirm message will be waiting in their email inbox and will still have to confirm to receive their freebie.

      The smoothover auto redirect is a page that the new subscriber sees for only 3 or 4 seconds that says...

      Your Gift Has Been Emailed To You
      But First...
      You May Be Interested in Seeing This...

      This message lets the new subscriber know that their freebie will arrive in their email inbox. And it lets them know that you are showing them something different but related to the freebie. Your making a recommendation.

      This is really only 2 steps because the smoothover is automatic.

      Here is a demonstration of the proccess...

      Opt-In Secrets

      Another thing I put on all my squeeze pages that help to increase conversions is a "Learn More" button. I put this just below the opt-in form. Look for it in the example above. This button reconfirms to the visitor what you want them to do.

      Because they click the button to get more information and a message pops up telling them to fill out their name and email address above to get more information. You can get the code to do this "Learn More" buttom by viewing the source code of the example squeeze page link above.

      Another thing I do is put a peel ad in the top right corner of my squeeze page, which opens another squeeze page in a new window for a 7-day eCourse. This also improves my conversion rate for getting a subscriber.

      If the visitor supscribes to my ecourse the form on the squeeze page goes away because it is in an iframe on the squeeze page. A message appears in its place with the following message...

      Your Sponsor, Steve Yakim, Has Just Sent Your First Lesson To You!
      Your first lesson is now being sent to your email inbox and should arrive in 5 or 10 minutes.

      Close this page to continue what your were doing.

      Wishing You Much online success,

      Steve A. Yakim

      When they close that squeeze page they are right back on the original squeeze page, which gives me a chance to get them on another list.

      Another thing I do is put an order link on the squeeze page where the visitor can purchase the report for $7.00 if they don't want to opt-in to get the report. This gives the report real value and they want it even more.

      It says...

      We are selling this report here for $7. But you can get it FREE if you act now!

      Be sure to look at all the different strategies I put into my squeeze pages. That is why I have a huge list.

      I add quite a process to my list building stategies that really improve my conversion rates. You should really try all these elements out so you understand the power of this system. You can always unsubscribe.

      I have other list building strategies that I use. Maybe I should write a report and sell it as a WSO

      Let me know what you think.

      I hope this has been helpful,
      Steve Yakim
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3691392].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author basickno
    THis process allow you to analyze how many peoples responds to your emails. You can track free report download in aweber and you can also make your subscriber habbited to open your mail when ever they receive new one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3691034].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aurelius Tjin
    Yep, if you're using double opt-in, then the download link should be on the 3rd step - after they confirmed their email.

    If you're using single opt-in, that even more simple -- they just need to enter their email and the download link is provided in the first email, not on the Thank You page after they optin.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3691058].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cyong
    I used Getresponse and it allow me to combine step 3 & step 4. You can put the free report link in the step 3 confirmation email.

    CY
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3691207].message }}

Trending Topics