I actually thought it was a really good question!
the answer to that questions is a BIG FAT ...YES....and NO...
So let me explain.
Traditionally someone will tell you to get out there and find as many leads as you can...and add them to your list as quick as you can. Then just send emails to them. Lots of emails and they SHOULD buy! ? Well should they?
While it sounds good, its not very good advice.
Here is where I have had the most success over the years with my listbuilding.
Here is what i think it is REALLY...all about!
1) Getting people on your list by giving away high value content.
2) Let there be some sort of transparency between you and your subscribers.
3) Build a long term relationship with them and create fans, do not just think of them as a number that should eventually buy your stuff.
4) Be a problem solver. I have always made more money when I helped solve peoples problems.
5) HAVE SOME FUN!... dont make things monotonous. Have fun, and test and track stuff. That is where the real money is i think.
Doing these five things will bring you sales, but the mentality of the prospect then changes from "oh great this idiot is spamming me again" to get them thinking they are happy to pay what you are REALLY WORTH! That is so crucial i belive.
Always remember that quality is always more important than quantity. My mentor once showed me something very AMAZING!. When i first met him, i thought he had a gazillion people on his list, but to my amazement he said LOOK! and showed me that he only had a list of about 4000 people. He nodded and says, yes, I do not need a list of 300k or 1 million. While that is good, he explain the whole way he grew his business was to aim for 5 subscribers a day, high quality subscribers and nuture them. Treat them on email, like you would a best friend.
In January along this year 2011 with this 4300 numbered list he did a launch and make $112,000 in sales. He was actually disappointed LOL....but not really, as he was really more amazed of the response he got with such a small sized list.
Just goes to show you ...YES the money is in the LIST!!! but really there is more money in the RELATIONSHIP you have with the list. The better the relationship, the better the open rate and PROFITS you will make in the long run.
Just my two cents.
Here cheers To your online profits!