Scouting for a new niche

13 replies
I have a few pretty good ideas( at lest I think so lol) I know theirs a huge market for what I want to promote, and its only going to get bigger. Now upon doing research I'm finding alot of search terms with high volume numbers, which is good. But there also seems to be alot of competition according to Google keyword tool. Is this something worth jumping into for somebody relatively new to the industry.
#niche #scouting
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin Williams
    You gave Duke Nukem Forever a bad review, I have nothing to say to you. That game is exactly what it was supposed to be.

    Seriously though, if you are able to keep your motivation up and find long tail keywords to rank for, you can still break into that niche. Just don't rehash reviews from biased websites such as IGN.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4089899].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Symbolic
      Originally Posted by Kevin Williams View Post

      You gave Duke Nukem Forever a bad review, I have nothing to say to you. That game is exactly what it was supposed to be.

      Seriously though, if you are able to keep your motivation up and find long tail keywords to rank for, you can still break into that niche. Just don't rehash reviews from biased websites such as IGN.

      LOL thanks for the input. But if you read that article, it clearly states its NOT a review. Just a reaction to the overwhelming negative pub its been getting.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4089909].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kevin Williams
        Originally Posted by Symbolic View Post

        LOL thanks for the input. But if you read that article, it clearly states its NOT a review. Just a reaction to the overwhelming negative pub its been getting.
        How could anyone not like a game where you pop a bottle of steroids and punch aliens into goop? Also I swear half this forum is from Oregon.

        Anyway, the point was that you should aim for long tail keywords. There are a ton in the gaming niche, make sure you target them with reviews, for example:

        "Duke Nukem Forever PC Review" instead of without the "PC". With that and a like 10-20 good backlinks you could rank pretty high.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4089934].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Symbolic
          Originally Posted by Kevin Williams View Post

          How could anyone not like a game where you pop a bottle of steroids and punch aliens into goop? Also I swear half this forum is from Oregon.

          Anyway, the point was that you should aim for long tail keywords. There are a ton in the gaming niche, make sure you target them with reviews, for example:

          "Duke Nukem Forever PC Review" instead of without the "PC". With that and a like 10-20 good backlinks you could rank pretty high.
          ha if you it makes you feel better, I got my copy from gamefly today for 360. So i will reserve judgment until I play it. Just some of the things Ive heard of the content makes me uncomfortable. Like promoting rape But Ive yet to play it myself to really see how it is.

          Also on the last part im a bit confused. Should I not include the specific platform in my review title? Or are you saying I should? Sorry if I misunderstood.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4089980].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Symbolic
            Awesome Robert. Will do right now actually.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4089985].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kevin Williams
            Originally Posted by Symbolic View Post

            ha if you it makes you feel better, I got my copy from gamefly today for 360. So i will reserve judgment until I play it. Just some of the things Ive heard of the content makes me uncomfortable. Like promoting rape But Ive yet to play it myself to really see how it is.
            I play it on PC, I hear the graphics are worse on 360 not that graphics matter. As for the rape... it's not really the same since it's used in a joking manner and Duke is supposed to go too far, that's duke, lol.

            Also on the last part im a bit confused. Should I not include the specific platform in my review title? Or are you saying I should? Sorry if I misunderstood.
            Sorry, I mean that you should include the platform. If you try to rank for "Duke Nukem Forever Review" you're going to get run over by websites like Gamespot, IGN, etc. Whereas with platform specific reviews you'll be able to hit exact phrase matching that they don't have to aim for.

            Edit: I actually just googled "duke nukem forever pc review" and the top result was some site I've never heard of, but people will be searching for the term none-the-less.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4090443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robert M Gouge
    Depends on your resources and how tough the competition is in my opinion.

    You should use a SEO keyword tool like, Traffic Travis to really get a feel for the profitability of keywords and the competition level. It will allow you to pull a lot of data for keywords and competition. It will show you what your competition is doing, how many backlinks they have, their domain age, PR, keyword use, etc, etc.

    I wrote a full review on the software here:

    (SEO) Search Engine Optimization Software – Traffic Travis Review - Robert's Review Blog

    It has both a free and paid version and both are very good in my opinion. The extra information should help you decide if you want to enter the niche in question.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4089954].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Symbolic
      Originally Posted by Robert M Gouge View Post

      Depends on your resources and how tough the competition is in my opinion.

      You should use a SEO keyword tool like, Traffic Travis to really get a feel for the profitability of keywords and the competition level. It will allow you to pull a lot of data for keywords and competition. It will show you what your competition is doing, how many backlinks they have, their domain age, PR, keyword use, etc, etc.

      I wrote a full review on the software here:

      (SEO) Search Engine Optimization Software - Traffic Travis Review - Robert's Review Blog

      It has both a free and paid version and both are very good in my opinion. The extra information should help you decide if you want to enter the niche in question.
      This is great info. ive been thinking of investing in a keyword tool like MS. Does it really help that much? Keyword research is my weakest area, and Im working to improve. My strengths are web design and writing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4089964].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Robert M Gouge
        Originally Posted by Symbolic View Post

        This is great info. ive been thinking of investing in a keyword tool like MS. Does it really help that much? Keyword research is my weakest area, and Im working to improve. My strengths are web design and writing.
        Read the review I posted and download the free version and mess around with it. You'll be absolutely amazed at what the software does.

        I truly think every webmaster should have similar software to that. It's just too valuable not to have it. Information is power and knowing what your competition doing is worth having it, not to mention how much it will help your own efforts.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4089978].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
    Originally Posted by Symbolic View Post

    Is this something worth jumping into for somebody relatively new to the industry.
    [Loud annoying buzz sound]

    The Google Keyword tool is reporting on competition you shouldn't even be looking at. It's trying to tell you the competitiveness of the keyword when it comes to Adwords.

    I would encourage you to get a tool like Traffic Travis (free version works just fine) and use the SEO analysis tool to pull the first ten results for the chosen keyword.

    This tool will also display the most valuable information for these sites including Age, PR, Links to page, Links to domain, Title Tags, H1 Tags, etc.

    You then use THAT information to determine competition.
    Signature
    You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4089962].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WDM
    The google keyword tool is great for checking keywords, but the competition you are looking at on there is for ad based competition, PPC. It doesn't necessarily mean that the more competition it shows the harder it is to rank, or low competition could be very hard to rank for. To really understand the competition for a specific keyword you can do quick research like search the keyword, look at how many pages are indexed for it (Total Results), then take your top 5 results or whatever you want and do a site scan on them to see how many backlinks they have, pagerank if ur into that sort of thing, and the rest of the info to see how strong their rank is for the specific keywords. It'll take a few minutes, but it can give you a much better outlook. Hope that helps...BTW it's hard to beat a site with consistency. The longer you keep the same site and keep updating it with fresh material, the stronger its rank will be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4089994].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Symbolic
    Thanks Kevin. Ill start doing that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4092049].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AdappMedia
    There should be a huge spike in online poker and poker training with the closure of the "big 3" there are still very strong affiliate programs for the merge network that are accepting US players. Personally I like Aced and Carbon Poker for the 35% lifetime payout and they run great freebies to get new players on the site. Hope this helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4092144].message }}

Trending Topics