WordPress So Popular with IM

39 replies
Why is WordPress so popular with IM'ers ?

Most WordPress sites I see online are Internet Marketing sites or get rich quick sites.

Many have that ugly drawn out repeating sales spiel. Do you think Google looks at Word Press as a red flag for people flogging off regurgitation ebooks and crap?

I am not anti WP, just want thoughts why?
#popular #wordpress
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
    Banned
    I would say people choose wordpress because it is easy to post content to, looks nicer than blogger, and is easier to customize. The first website I'm trying out is wordpress. I chose it because it seems like I can actually handle it. That might actually be another reason. Since this is a newby heavy field, they all flock to what seems the easiest and cost the least, hence wordpress.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4223955].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
    Why is WordPress so popular with IM'ers ?
    Only among those that don't know any better... (and using it for everything)
    Mainly, because it is an easy to use publishing tool.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4223958].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author laurie390
      I think because people can work with it fairly easy, and maintain their own site/blog. My husband does web design, and he likes wp because once he builds a site, he can hand it over to his client and show them how to maintain it themselves. People like that:-)
      Signature

      Laurie Neumann
      Huge PLR Closeout Sale at Quality Internet Marketing PLR

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4223978].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trapped
    Even tho the above posts pretty well outlined it, the keyword in question is: easy

    - easy to install
    - easy to use
    - easy to tweak (different aspects, including the look, adding plugins etc etc..)
    - easy to update
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224005].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Targeted Traffic
      Originally Posted by Trapped View Post

      Even tho the above posts pretty well outlined it, the keyword in question is: easy

      - easy to install
      - easy to use
      - easy to tweak (different aspects, including the look, adding plugins etc etc..)
      - easy to update
      Exactly...and especially these days when a number need to earn quick without much cost, then this would be the answer...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224057].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Brian F Adams
        WP is easy to use and learn plus there are so many plugins to help make it great!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
    Can anybody explain me this:

    if it is so easy to tweak different aspects, including the look -why is this money making forum full of stoopid technical questions regarding customization of WP???

    And why I haven't seen any of you answering those "easy" questions around here...?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224100].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by Istvan Horvath View Post

      Can anybody explain me this:

      if it is so easy to tweak different aspects, including the look -why is this money making forum full of stoopid technical questions regarding customization of WP???

      And why I haven't seen any of you answering those "easy" questions around here...?

      It is only easy to use for those with a lot of experience with it.

      I'd probably answer more of those easy WP questions if I saw more of them, but then I don't go to the blog sub-forum very often. :p



      To the OP: If you only see IMers using WordPress, then you should stop looking for blogs about Internet Marketing. The fact is that WordPress is a platform used by hundreds of thousands of bloggers, and a lot of those people despise IMers.
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224542].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rts2271
        Because IM has a low barrier of entry so it fills with morons quick. Morons love Wordpress.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224552].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
          Ralph,
          Because IM has a low barrier of entry so it fills with morons quick. Morons love Wordpress.
          That's two insulting and overly broad generalizations in one evening.


          Paul
          Signature
          .
          Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224580].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author gefflong
          Originally Posted by rts2271 View Post

          Because IM has a low barrier of entry so it fills with morons quick. Morons love Wordpress.
          There is nothing wrong with Wordpress and it isn't used just in IM.

          The fact is that it makes posting new content to a website very easy.

          It's also very simple to change the entire look of the website with a few clicks as opposed to spending tons of money and time reworking a site built page by page.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224613].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Trapped
      Originally Posted by Istvan Horvath View Post

      Can anybody explain me this:

      if it is so easy to tweak different aspects, including the look -why is this money making forum full of stoopid technical questions regarding customization of WP???

      And why I haven't seen any of you answering those "easy" questions around here...?
      Because people are too lazy to even take a look at the "few" hooks that wordpress actually requires, or it could be that people are getting already scared when they hear "php" ...

      Don't get me wrong, I am living from building wordpress themes for several customers, and of course not that they are lazy but it is more cost & time effective for them, but still, this doesn't make the "use" of wordpress hard.

      All in all, wordpress theme building requires only 5 to maximum of 10 hooks to make it work to your needs.

      Aside that, the "easy" aspects of the customization comes into play with the thousands of already made themes, that every day become even more advanced and giving people the freedom to customize almost all aspects (header, position of menu, the way menu's look, use of widgets to customize the sidebar etc). Add to that the other million of free plugins and it really does become very easy to use, if one just takes an hour to look for "solutions".

      But still, if you want to get into the mind of people and wonder why they ask..i can only make assumptions, as the one i made above (about them being lazy).

      When I said easy, i used that word in comparison of wordpress vs (many other CMS or blog platforms) that give you the possibility to set it once and then be able to create hundreds of pages with a matter of 3 clicks (Add new Post > Write article and Select category > click publish).

      But ofcourse, everyone has its own opinions and preferences, i just stated mine
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230966].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmandaT
    Wordpress is easy to set up and use compared to many other ways you could build a website. There are tons of themes and plugins available and tutorials are everywhere. For someone with little to no knowledge in making websites, Wordpress makes it possible for them to create their own sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224615].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rts2271
      My apologies, I didn't realize until it was pointed out how snarky that comment was.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224649].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author King Louie
      A WordPress-powered site is just HTML and CSS code just like any other website. I don't see Google penalizing WordPress-powered websites just because some spammers and blackhatters are using it. Many huge and popular sites such as Mashable and Tech Crunch are using WordPress.

      Anybody can make a website using WordPress, just like anybody can use a pre-made HTML template and just fill it with content. Making it rank on the search engines is another story.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224658].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
        I think word press is easy for most people to use, but I also feel that word press is slow and sluggish at times.
        It can be, but that's normally a function of the blog set-up and the server configuration. The good folks at Wordpress.org have some useful pointers for speeding things up:

        WordPress Optimization « WordPress Codex


        Paul
        Signature
        .
        Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224712].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mijagi
          Wordpress is easy to setup and use once you get over the learning curve.

          I like it because of the speed I'm able to build new sites with. Plus you can do pretty much everything you want with it.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4225187].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr Money Maker
    I think word press is easy for most people to use, but I also feel that word press is slow and sluggish at times.
    Trouble with using word press is that google changed it's ranking system March 29,2011 and tons of press-release sites and word press sites no longer are ranked as they once were.
    Some sites fell back over 1000 pages.
    Google is trying to get to the place of charging business in all categories, and the highest paying customers get the highest rankings.
    You can see this happening in Googles listings for, Lawyers,Real Estate,Music Download sites and the list goes on.
    Soon SEO techniques won't matter at all.
    People will all have to pay, just like your local phone book !!

    Well...take care all
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224648].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rotten72
      Originally Posted by Mr Money Maker View Post

      Trouble with using word press is that google changed it's ranking system March 29,2011 and tons of press-release sites and word press sites no longer are ranked as they once were.
      Wordpress sites still rank very easily. The reason rankings fell is because of poor SEO techniques and junk content!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dhira
    Umm ... the NUMBER ONE reason is because with wordpress, almost any site you create can get to page 1 on Google without much SEO effort.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4224653].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    It's a great platform to use, easy to get a site up. But you're wrong about MOST blogs being make money online blogs. There's millions of blogs that aren't MMO blogs, and they are some of the most interesting and entertaining sites around. You usually find what you are looking for so if you are focused on MMO, that's what you see.

    I read blogs all the time that have nothing to with MMO, so no ... Google is not going to penalize Wordpress blogs. They are going and have been penalizing thin affiliate sites, whether they are Wordpress or just plain html.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4225806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Spyder77
    Originally Posted by Ducksauce View Post

    Why is WordPress so popular with IM'ers ?

    Most WordPress sites I see online are Internet Marketing sites or get rich quick sites.

    Many have that ugly drawn out repeating sales spiel. Do you think Google looks at Word Press as a red flag for people flogging off regurgitation ebooks and crap?

    I am not anti WP, just want thoughts why?
    I don't think G flags a site just for being WP. That would be daft and nothing in the SERPs indicate they do that.

    I like WP because its the main alternative to Blogger, which I started with and dumped for reasons having to do with Blogger and nothing to do with the blog format.

    Why I like WP: its built with blogging in mind. Blogs are interactve, interactivity is a good tool for building trust, authority, and a steady following. All of which are assets if you're looking at the long-haul approach, rather than the quick buck mentality you (wrongly) accuse them off.

    WP has a boat load of free and commercial themes to choose from. And tons of good plug-ins. That makes a WP launch easier than a static site you're building from scratch. Especially if coding and scripting aren't your strong suits.

    It really depends on what you want to do with the site. WP may be a perfect fit or a bad choice. It just depends on how it fits in with your marketing strategy and goals.

    That is reason enough for me to consider WP first, and static sites second. Though for a second, micro-niche site (my WP site is broader in scope), I'm considering a static template instead of WP. That's because I'm not planning to do the things with it I do with WP: its aimed at promoting one main affiliate product in one micro-nice with a small set of keywords I'm researching for it now; I don't intend to update it daily as I do with my WP site, nor seek dialogue through comments.

    I'm leaning toward the static site as your basic sniper site: I want to primarily focus it on one affiliate product that is a physical product, pays a good commission, and includes residuals. I have enough familiarity with the market its aimed at, and enough writing skill, to quickly put the content up that I need to be SEO optimized for PR and sell the product - though a lot of offsite work will need to be done as well to rank it and generate traffic. This is aiming for quick income to feed into my larger and longer-term project.

    Who says you can't do both?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4225890].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Here are two more reasons WP is so popular with IM/MMO types...

      1) It's FREE. If you would believe a lot of posters, they're all stone-soup broke. Yet many of them claim to be able to show YOU how to make boatloads of money in their sigs. :rolleyes:

      2) Many of the sadly misinformed believe that "Proudly powered by Wordpress" has some voodoo-like power over the Google ranking algorithm. One such soul has already posted in this thread how WP is the only thing you need to get #1 rankings.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226005].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tpw
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Here are two more reasons WP is so popular with IM/MMO types...

        1) It's FREE. If you would believe a lot of posters, they're all stone-soup broke. Yet many of them claim to be able to show YOU how to make boatloads of money in their sigs. :rolleyes:

        LOL




        #2 - The Google fairy smiles on those who believe in miracles...

        Haha!!

        .

        .



        Signature
        Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
        Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226104].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        John nailed two of the reasons but another is that WP is easy to learn. You don't need a site building program or need to learn how use either a free or purchased site builder. In fact, its deceptively simple to start blogging and the simplicity leads to many poorly conceived and badly written sites.

        Google doesn't care how you build it - the search engines see a "site" only.
        Signature
        If you don't have time for things that matter - stop doing the things that don't.

        Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226136].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tpw
          Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

          John nailed two of the reasons but another is that WP is easy to learn. You don't need a site building program or need to learn how use either a free or purchased site builder. In fact, its deceptively simple to start blogging and the simplicity leads to many poorly conceived and badly written sites.

          Google doesn't care how you build it - the search engines see a "site" only.

          Exactly. The search engines only see the HTML on the page and the links.
          Signature
          Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
          Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226166].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dhira
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Here are two more reasons WP is so popular with IM/MMO types...

        2) Many of the sadly misinformed believe that "Proudly powered by Wordpress" has some voodoo-like power over the Google ranking algorithm. One such soul has already posted in this thread how WP is the only thing you need to get #1 rankings.
        LOL Gee I can't for the life of me wonder who that thinly veiled misinformed badly misinterpreted misquote was directed at...?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226198].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tpw
          Originally Posted by Dhira View Post

          Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

          Originally Posted by Dhira View Post

          Umm ... the NUMBER ONE reason is because with wordpress, almost any site you create can get to page 1 on Google without much SEO effort.

          Many of the sadly misinformed believe that "Proudly powered by Wordpress" has some voodoo-like power over the Google ranking algorithm. One such soul has already posted in this thread how WP is the only thing you need to get #1 rankings.

          LOL Gee I can't for the life of me wonder who that thinly veiled misinformed badly misinterpreted misquote was directed at...?

          How was his interpretation of your comment a "misinformed, badly misinterpreted misquote"?
          Signature
          Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
          Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226246].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Dhira
            Originally Posted by tpw View Post

            How was his interpretation of your comment a "misinformed, badly misinterpreted misquote"?
            Um..This:
            "WP is the only thing you need to get #1 rankings."
            His words.. not mine. Where have you seen on this thread anyone say that besides him?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226296].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author tpw
              Originally Posted by Dhira View Post

              with wordpress, almost any site you create can get to page 1 on Google without much SEO effort.
              Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

              WP is the only thing you need to get #1 rankings.
              Originally Posted by Dhira View Post

              Um..This:
              "WP is the only thing you need to get #1 rankings."
              His words.. not mine.


              You said, "almost any site" can get "page 1 Google" with wordpress.

              He said, as a general statement, "#1 Google" with wordpress.

              The only parts of your original comment that saved you from being the fool that John was talking about was the words, "almost" and "page one"...

              The only part of your original comment that saves you from an argument from me is the word, "almost"...

              You "almost" stuck your foot into an indefensible position, although the skimmers of the forum might miss your qualifier of "almost" and read into your comments what John said.
              Signature
              Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
              Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226595].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Originally Posted by Dhira View Post

          LOL Gee I can't for the life of me wonder who that thinly veiled misinformed badly misinterpreted misquote was directed at...?
          It really wasn't meant to be directed at any person in particular. If it sounded like a shot at you personally, my apologies.

          I tend to participate in a lot of the "what program should I use to build my site" threads, and there are always a bunch of posters saying to use WP "because Google loves Wordpress".

          It wasn't a misquote at all. Had I wanted to take a personal shot, I would have quoted you directly.

          We good?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226454].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rotten72
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        2) Many of the sadly misinformed believe that "Proudly powered by Wordpress" has some voodoo-like power over the Google ranking algorithm.
        I always REMOVE the "Powered by Wordpress".
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226256].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Spyder77
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Here are two more reasons WP is so popular with IM/MMO types...

        1) It's FREE. If you would believe a lot of posters, they're all stone-soup broke. Yet many of them claim to be able to show YOU how to make boatloads of money in their sigs. :rolleyes:

        2) Many of the sadly misinformed believe that "Proudly powered by Wordpress" has some voodoo-like power over the Google ranking algorithm. One such soul has already posted in this thread how WP is the only thing you need to get #1 rankings.
        Both are good points, though I hope you don't lump all WP users into #1 (the way you word it suggests you don't). I've noticed the same thing you talk about in that point too. I've never had a sig that mentioned anything other than my original site (not IM or WSO or finance related), and opt for no sig at the moment.

        Though when I do (after paying my member dues) its NOT going to be to promote a WSO or any quick rich/"how I made loads of dough, click to see how I can fleece you too" line. And that goes for when I do start making money off my sites (both new). Might be just me, but with the rare exception those sigs tend to turn me off even if its not in the same post where the poster is griping about how they're too broke to do whatever.

        *shrug* my two pence.

        -Spyder
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dadamson
    Wordpress is fast becoming the industry standard in web development, it's not JUST in IM, but I think we IMers just have our finger on the pulse a little more than the average Joe with a golf club website or something.

    Google loves Wordpress, I highly doubt there are (or ever will be) red flags raised just for using it as a platform for web creation.

    Cheers,
    Dave
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gregg
    I like it because the look and menus are easy to change. Forms are easy to install, pics are resized in a snap, analytics are easy, and if I am making the site for a client and they don't like the look I can change the entire site in a minute with a new theme.

    (try spending a week building an html site only to have your client tell you they don't like it and you have to rebuild everything… sucks -)
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4226507].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xavierfok
    Its free, easy to use, full of features, and is believed to rank better on Google!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4229710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xxdksxx
    1. Easy to install and make it look decent
    2. All the plugins you could ever think of
    3. Has an amazing interface to make posts/pages with
    4. Just makes everything easier and allows commenting
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4229742].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author goldmills
      I use WP for everything.

      For all the reasons mentioned here and more.

      But I don't use exclusively for IM products.

      We take all our client HTML plain Jane websites, and convert them over to WP.

      We see our client websites get INSTANTLY better rankings and prettier URL's which are keyword optimized.

      I set up a base WP site, with all my plugins, theme customizations.
      Then I can clone that base platform into any website I want in less than 60 seconds and have a site off and running in less than 10 minutes complete from domain buying to hosting registration to WP install, with all my plugins and theme settings.

      Makes sense to me!
      Signature

      In His Grip ><>,
      Jeff Mills - Learn more about me http://www.unlimitedmobileminutes.net (Solavei) | http://www.sevenstew.com (micro-jobs site) | http://www.outsourcedtv.com (free training) |
      http://www.watchmywebinar.com/mobileapps (free training on building mobile apps)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jjpmarketing
    Wordpress is commonly used by people that don't want to deal with a whole lot of techie stuff... yet they almost always are the ones paying someone else to modify or update or transfer said wordpress sites.

    In reality sites should be well planned out to prevent having to deal with migration issues. Wordpress is great for some sites and Joomla is great for other sites... you really have to think about what you want to accomplish with a site before you set it up. Then choose a CMS/Blog platform based on that.

    Even if there is a learning curve with other platforms you will still run into the same issues you would with Wordpress. You are still going to be dealing with finding the right theme, and then customizing that to suit your needs. Beyond that you will still have to know how to secure a site, back it up, restore it, etc. or you'll end up paying someone to do that for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230156].message }}

Trending Topics