Internet Marketing: Is Big Business Slowly Pushing The Little Guy Out?

30 replies
It's was the little guy who helped sparked the internet as a viable marketing tool when big business ignored it (even scoffed it). But is big business slowly pushing the little guy out of what was deemed the last business frontier for the little guy?
#big #business #guy #internet #marketing #pushing #slowly
  • Profile picture of the author xohaibx
    Not really.

    In fact, there's more room for the little guy now. More opportunities. More ways to succeed.

    The big businesses may hold a monopoly, but niche markets will always be dominated with the little guys who want to make a difference.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5000995].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Mustafa Khundmiri View Post

      Not really.

      In fact, there's more room for the little guy now. More opportunities. More ways to succeed.

      The big businesses may hold a monopoly, but niche markets will always be dominated with the little guys who want to make a difference.
      I agree that there's more room and opportunities to get in, but is there more room to make money? Especially with big business driving up the cost of doing business online.

      Also like most brick and mortar industries now, the Internet is being dominated by a few big corporations. Not being negative just looking at the whole picture. To be forewarned is to be forearmed in my opinion.

      But I agree with what you said about niche markets, that's the way to go for the little guy (or gal) ... and always will be. But big business is even changing that paradigm. Now it's necessary to dig even deeper to find niche markets. Now in many cases it requires special software, knowledge or both to find viable and profitable niche markets corporations haven't already scooped up.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5001066].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    It's called competition - it is bound to happen wherever money is involved. The smart little guy just gets on with things and keeps making money. There's nothing at all to gain in worrying about things like this.

    There are a huge amount of opportunities on the Internet - far more opportunities than are being taken up by those who are giving it a SERIOUS shot.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5001084].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      It's called competition - it is bound to happen wherever money is involved. The smart little guy just gets on with things and keeps making money. There's nothing at all to gain in worrying about things like this.

      There are a huge amount of opportunities on the Internet - far more opportunities than are being taken up by those who are giving it a SERIOUS shot.
      I couldn't agree more!

      You are pretty spot-on with what you have said here.

      There will always be a competition in any field not just in IM. It's completely up to you to deal with that competition even if you are just a small guy.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5001460].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      It's called competition - it is bound to happen wherever money is involved. The smart little guy just gets on with things and keeps making money. There's nothing at all to gain in worrying about things like this.

      There are a huge amount of opportunities on the Internet - far more opportunities than are being taken up by those who are giving it a SERIOUS shot.
      You're right there is nothing to gain by worrying about this. But there is something to gain by being aware and reacting to the trends and challenges.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5005908].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WSO Scholar
        You just need to adapt and keep in front of the big organisations
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5005951].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jdkesler
    It used to be pretty easy to find a niche and monetize it. In that respect it is harder. There is a lot more competition for the "real money" niches.

    There are ways to find profitable niches. There are even f.r.e.e. tools to find them.
    I use Google Adwords free keyword tool to do basic research. SemRush also offers some good basic analysis service for free.

    The difference IMO between the free tools and the paid ones (besides the depth of analysis they do for you) is the time spent. The free tools require you to do a lot of the analysis and the digging manually. That takes time. If you have time and a mind that enjoys figuring out the details then the free tools are perfect.

    If you don't have the time and/or you really hate figuring out the details then finding a good niche mining tool is critical.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5001396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnny125
    Sometimes it is easier to pay for something, sine this move gives you a time to do other IM atcivities.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5001432].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ATH
      big guys = more resources, more overhead, bigger shares
      little guys = less resources, less overhead, less shares

      no single dude is gonna make what coca-cola does in a year w/o going to jail short of an insane case of serendipity

      the good news is... you don't need to make what coca-cola does in a year to have an awesome life. a jet would be pretty sweet though.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5001448].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gwat
        big guys = more resources, more overhead, bigger shares
        little guys = less resources, less overhead, less shares
        big guys = slow moving
        little guys = much more flexibility


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5001471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
    This idea of big business forcing little guys out, I've heard my entire business carrier online and offline.

    There will always be very lucratic niches where the little guy can make money where the big guy doesn't care to handle.

    It is the same in everything. There are ways to make a lot of money in the stock market that the huge investors can't even do because they are not small and nimble enough.

    Same in IM. The small and nimble small guy doing it himself can jump on some things in a hurry that the big companies wouldn't even bother with.

    I guess that is why there are more and more people making money online every day.

    :-)
    Signature
    44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

    Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5001472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
    With CPA and similar isn't it the big guys providing a lot of opportunity for you to make money?

    Also who is to say soemone here isn't going to make the next facebook or zynga?

    I really can't see how the big guys would ever take over IM or why they would want to. It simply makes more sense to use CPA networks and the like to get the small people(ie us) to take the risks and they get the rewards.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5001966].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dms321
    I guess it is a general question relating to any field involving money and competition. And a usual question.

    Competition will always exist. And whoever has more information, more will to take action and work will find a way to make money.

    Internet is relatively new. And it grows with incredible speed. I do not think that in our lifespan we will see saturation.

    My opinion is that there are many opportunities for small guys. We just need to be smart and where there is less competition in general including big guys.

    Actually, this is not completely true. Look at the niches of internet marketing and weight loss. Huge competition but a lot of marketers find their ways to make money, right?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5003140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author angela99
    David and Goliath... :-)

    Big guys are slow. Little guys are fast. Of course, that only applies when the little guy keeps moving and sees the fresh opportunities. Believe it or not, big guys create opportunities all the time for little guys.

    The biggies can be a market for you, if you watch what they're doing. They outsource, and they've got the dollars to pay well.

    Here's the thing... you don't have to stay little, unless you want to.

    Creativity counts. Forget big/ little.

    Focus, and keep moving.

    Believe in yourself. You have to trust your instincts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5003260].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
    Not at all. In fact, I am seeing big companies courting more small business these days than ever before. Microsoft being one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5004094].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chicago87
    I agree, it seems like it is much harder to make money online now. If only I knew about this while I was still in college, I had some much free time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5004840].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WillR
      Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post

      I agree, it seems like it is much harder to make money online now. If only I knew about this while I was still in college, I had some much free time.
      Are there more people trying to make money online these days?

      Yes.

      Is it harder to make money online these days?

      No, I don't think so.

      There is a BIG difference between the number of people who think they are trying to make money online and the number of people who ARE actually trying to make money online.

      Buying a few WSO's and going half-assed at them does not mean someone is really trying to make money online. They are the sort of person who will never succeed at this game and thankfully they are the large majority. There is, and always will be, a TON of opportunity for those people who are willing to take the finger out and get to work. In fact the more people there are trying to make money online, the easier it is for the legitimate marketers to stand out above the rest.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5005103].message }}
  • When you consider the amount of traffic on the internet and the low over costs when compared to any other type of business, I'd say there is still a ton of opportunity for anyone to make it online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5005127].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wilder1047
    Pushing us out of where exactly?

    Niche marketing is becoming more competitive because more internet marketers are coming online looking to make money - and niche marketing is one of the most popular ways to do so.

    Are you meaning big businesses as in brick and mortar businesses marketing themselves online?

    They need to employ experts to help them get online effectively - so ride that wave and get into offline consulting.

    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this question.

    The great thing is in order to be a successful internet marketer you constantly have to be learning and staying ahead of the curve.

    Which means - you're never out-of-date or obsolete.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5005137].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by wilder1047 View Post

      Pushing us out of where exactly?

      Niche marketing is becoming more competitive because more internet marketers are coming online looking to make money - and niche marketing is one of the most popular ways to do so.

      Are you meaning big businesses as in brick and mortar businesses marketing themselves online?

      They need to employ experts to help them get online effectively - so ride that wave and get into offline consulting.

      I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this question.

      The great thing is in order to be a successful internet marketer you constantly have to be learning and staying ahead of the curve.

      Which means - you're never out-of-date or obsolete.
      Basically making it more expensive to market online. For example, before big business got involved in Internet marketing, ad cost, PPC, Ezine advertising was dirt cheap. Now it's pricing many small marketers out of the market. That trend continues.

      That's one example. You can also observe other areas where the cost of doing business is slowly moving up as more corporate dollars raise the price of doing business online. I agree, if you have a business or service that you can tie to the trend you're good to go. But most Internet marketers were attracted to it to get away from the corporate culture and be "Independent" not latch back on to it. You might as well get a job in that case. My opinion.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5005954].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
    The Internet, as it is now, is still the greatest playing field for "the little guy". Little guys can grow very quickly in the field without having to spend the big bucks that they would if they were trying to compete on TV, radio, or print.

    I said "as it is now", because this could change. Who knows what the future holds when it comes to government regulations. This is why it is important to scoff loudly at any politician that proposes changes. Call your elected leaders and let them know that you will not stand for such measures and if they do, then they are fired.
    Signature

    Founder of JVZoo. All around good guy :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5005195].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sandor Verebi
      Hi everyone,

      Answering to the OPs question: I don't think so. I'm speaking as someone who operated different offline businesses since 1990.

      * Small businesses will be decisive in employment for a long time. There are always big corporations, who - for some reason - don't deal with some things, thus they were given opportunities for the little ones. I was also a supplier for large companies.

      Niches are everywhere, you just need to find one wich has proper profitability.

      * As for competition, it is useful and necessary for you. Without it, you grow lazy, so the opportunities would go next to you. It compels you to keep pace with the development. This way, you're able to change soon, if necessary.

      Big companies move slowly. You can benefit from that.

      * Concerning free or paid tools, use the free at start if you can't allow yourself the paid one. As your cash flow allows, buy professional tools, always the best you can get. Whether in offline or online business.

      Quality people + guality tools + quality work = more opportunity for you and more money, of course.

      * With reference to online attendance of offline businesses, to help them in presenting themselves online is a big chance for you, I believe. I only mention my example: we operated without a webpage up to 2004. We felt no need because of enough assignments, and NO ONE OFFERED it!. (Ignoring the fact, that the internet wasn't available initially, but hey....)

      * Little gays also can grow big. Just open your eyes and ears, and don't forget to work. Learn what you don't know. Business building is a never ending process, so the learning as well. So you can gain an advantage compared to other.

      * A little guy need to bear in mind which devices he has and play accordingly. Invest wisely. As above mentioned, use such kind of advertising methods you can afford. Radio and TV ads aren't cheap. Fortunately, there are tremendous way the little guy can use fruitfully.

      * "There is a BIG difference between the number of people who THINK they are trying to make money online and the number of people who ARE actually trying to make money online.

      Buying a few WSO's and going half-assed at them does not mean someone is really trying to make money online. They are the sort of person who will never succeed at this game and thankfully they are the large majority. There is, and always will be, a TON of opportunity for those people who are willing to take the finger out and get to work. In fact the more people there are trying to make money online, the easier it is for the legitimate marketers to stand out above the rest."


      Totally agreed.

      All the best,

      Sandor
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5005970].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

      The Internet, as it is now, is still the greatest playing field for "the little guy". Little guys can grow very quickly in the field without having to spend the big bucks that they would if they were trying to compete on TV, radio, or print.

      I said "as it is now", because this could change. Who knows what the future holds when it comes to government regulations. This is why it is important to scoff loudly at any politician that proposes changes. Call your elected leaders and let them know that you will not stand for such measures and if they do, then they are fired.
      That's what inspired my OP question. As a heads up, not as a point of worry ... but awareness.

      Looking at history whenever a new industry (like internet marketing) develops it's usually perfected by the little guy or small business. When it becomes lucrative, big business moves in and either prices them out of the market, buys them up, or gets them regulated out. Or all of the above.

      This question is like the canary in the coal mine, or a warning to other Internet marketers. Discussion, awareness and like you said, "political action", if necessary, is our best defense. My opinion.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5006026].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sal64
    Don't forget that as living standards grow, so does global access to the net. So in effect, the pie keeps getting bigger as well.

    and as more people discover ecommerce, the bigger the demand for tools and services to help them succeed.
    Signature
    Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
    You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5005982].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Wilson
    There are always niche websites to little guy.

    That will never end. No matter what happens we will evolve.
    Signature


    -25% WF PROMO CODE: "WFPROMO911" (expires on 1.1.2012)
    - High search volume keywords , high CPC keywords, easy to rank keywords
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5006046].message }}
  • Quite frankly, I cannot think of ANY other business medium where the small average guy can build up his own niche business without really worrying (or even being affected) by what the big guys are doing than the Internet.

    The Internet truly allows an anonymous "work from home" 20-something dude make a similar (or better!) income than a lawyer or a doctor. At no cost or risk whatsoever. Isnt that amazing?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5006089].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      Quite frankly, I cannot think of ANY other business medium where the small average guy can build up his own niche business without really worrying (or even being affected) by what the big guys are doing than the Internet.

      The Internet truly allows an anonymous "work from home" 20-something dude make a similar (or better!) income than a lawyer or a doctor. At no cost or risk whatsoever. Isnt that amazing?
      That "is" amazing. My question is inspired to help keep it that way.

      But I disagree with your comment that it's impossible for big guys to affect smaller players. For example, companies like Google can flip a switch or adjust a policy and put thousands of small marketers out of business overnight. And they're not the only one. Not something to worry about - but be aware of for future reference and counter intelligence.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5006137].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        But I disagree with your comment that it's impossible for big guys to affect smaller players. For example, companies like Google can flip a switch or adjust a policy and put thousands of small marketers out of business overnight. And they're not the only one. Not something to worry about - but be aware of for future reference and counter intelligence.
        IMO if Google can make one little change that puts you out of business overnight then you (proverbial you) were never very serious with your business to begin with.

        You don't build a serious, sustainable business by putting all your eggs in the one basket. These are the type of people I am talking about. There is always room for SMART little guys because there are so many little guys who just have no clue how to conduct real business.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5006156].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JCorp
    just because we're so called "little guys" doesn't mean we're not doing "big business"...those terms are pretty irrelevant when it comes to the Internet. Think abundance, not lack!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5006152].message }}

Trending Topics