why there is no such thing as passive income

by jumshi
37 replies
hello everybody

i have figured it out - passive income? there is no such thing

promoting your website

- SEO needs constant backlinking
- article marketing needs constant submission
- videos need constant outputting and promotion

promoting your blog

- daily posts to show you are an expert
- backlinking constantly - forums blogs etc


any more ive missed?

there is no such thing as passive income because you constantly work to stay competitive
#income #passive #thing
  • Profile picture of the author Nikolas
    In general you are write. But in some cases there is passive income. For instance an affiliate program pays you commission on subscriptions. This way you are getting paid for as long as the users you are referring are customers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5389877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Global Warrior
    Passive income is possible

    Ask the guy that sold a $47 BS 1 click does all software that builds you 5 sites a week... on auto, ranks you No1 in Google for any keyword, with auto content creation, auto backlink builder, auto adsence, auto blogging, auto traffic generation, auto auto responder and auto installation and administration, because he hasnt had to do any work because no such software exists, but people still try to buy it!!!!!

    And when the $47 version doesnt work "because its buggy" the moron goes for the super deluxe upsell version that does all the above but builds 25 sites a week........ because he's figured out that he can make a Passive income, 5 time quicker!!!!!

    Ok, im going out before someone takes me too seriously :-)

    All the best

    GW
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5389892].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author arkhamindustries
      Originally Posted by Global Warrior View Post

      Passive income is possible

      Ask the guy that sold a $47 BS 1 click does all software that builds you 5 sites a week... on auto, ranks you No1 in Google for any keyword, with auto content creation, auto backlink builder, auto adsence, auto blogging, auto traffic generation, auto auto responder and auto installation and administration, because he hasnt had to do any work because no such software exists, but people still try to buy it!!!!!

      And when the $47 version doesnt work "because its buggy" the moron goes for the super deluxe upsell version that does all the above but builds 25 sites a week........ because he's figured out that he can make a Passive income, 5 time quicker!!!!!

      Ok, im going out before someone takes me too seriously :-)

      All the best

      GW

      ROTFLMFAO!
      im sorry, this seriously cracked me up!
      the sad part is that this is way to close to the truth. Spot on true actually. about half a dozen programs that match this description exactly come to mind just off the top of my head but I will keep my mouth shut.
      Great post!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390079].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Meaney
    Originally Posted by jumshi View Post

    hello everybody

    i have figured it out - passive income? there is no such thing
    Oh man, I better give back the money I'm making from sales pages that I haven't looked at for about 3 years.

    Seriously though.. Define passive. Alright, it takes work to set things up, and the business model you're talking about does need a lot of work.. every business model needs work but there are some that don't require much input once it's set up.

    You don't have to depend on SEO and blogging to make a living online. In fact, depending on SEO is an incredibly risky strategy.

    It's easier and safer, to just buy the traffic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5389931].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Trevor
      You are only partially right. If you are building websites and optimizing for the best of keywords you can find (little to no competition and a decent amount of traffic), you can often stay at the top of the SERPs for quite a long period of time and stick there without any work, provided your backlink profile is healthy and you are way ahead of the competition.

      Also, don't forget about outsourcing. You can simply re-invest your earned money and pay other people to do the work for you and grab the profits, which I do consider a passive income.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390158].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    In a way you are right. I do not believe anything is 100% passive...but there are some things nearly passive. I mean managing say 10 minutes a week ability to leave it alone for months at a time..That's about as passive as you can ever get. Any more and you'd be dead.

    The more passive your income= happier life you live I.M.H.O.

    Good luck
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390109].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndreasJacobsen
    I think it is possible.

    I am not there yet, but I think it is possible
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390114].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Invert Planet
      Originally Posted by andreasdk View Post

      I think it is possible.

      I am not there yet, but I think it is possible
      It is and it isn't.

      Once you find that "build", I believe that you can do it and that it will be self rewarding.

      The 3 things I keep in mind:
      1) If you want it done right, do it yourself.
      2) Like growing plants.. it is tiresome and tedious, but it will bloom eventually. You Do have to keep up some maintenance.
      3) Try to get paid for something that you would normally do for free.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390362].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    I'll bet one appears within the next week :-(

    Ask the guy that sold a $47 BS 1 click does all software that builds you 5 sites a week... on auto, ranks you No1 in Google for any keyword, with auto content creation, auto backlink builder, auto adsence, auto blogging, auto traffic generation, auto auto responder and auto installation and administration, because he hasnt had to do any work because no such software exists, but people still try to buy it!!!!!

    And when the $47 version doesnt work "because its buggy" the moron goes for the super deluxe upsell version that does all the above but builds 25 sites a week........ because he's figured out that he can make a Passive income, 5 time quicker!!!!!
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390119].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndreasJacobsen
    I think it is possible.

    I am not there yet, but I think it is possible
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390121].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vlad Romanov
    Why do people even get into such debates? What makes a difference to you if it exists or not? By trying to figure it out you won't get closer to your goals. People who have passive income will argue with you, but you will simply discard the possibility of such income since you are certain it doesn't exist.

    People have this misconception about passive income that it is a one button method and you have to do absolutely nothing afterwards. What it really is is income which allows you to take a break from IM without stoping making money. For example if you make 200$ per day through advertising on your blog, chances are you can take a one week vacation without worrying about your blog bringing in that same amount...

    Anyhow it's like debating Mac vs PC... Good luck
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ryan David
    Nobody ever said passive income doesn't require some work. I don't think that's the definition of "passive income". It requires little work to maintain.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    ^^ Haven't you just got involved by posting? LOL ^^
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390141].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Melvolio
    You're arguing semantics. If you make any effort to make money, the resulting earning aren't passive.

    Passive income is how people refer to money that comes in from efforts previously made.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    not acting to influence or change a situation; allowing other people to be in control
    So maybe it is possible? Actually no-one mentioned if it has to be profitable or not...:-)
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390163].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mitsakis
    Originally Posted by jumshi View Post

    hello everybody

    i have figured it out - passive income? there is no such thing

    promoting your website

    - SEO needs constant backlinking
    - article marketing needs constant submission
    - videos need constant outputting and promotion

    promoting your blog

    - daily posts to show you are an expert
    - backlinking constantly - forums blogs etc


    any more ive missed?

    there is no such thing as passive income because you constantly work to stay competitive
    I agree that there in no passive income in the sense that in order for a website or a business to be profitable somebody has to work constantly. Income can continue even after months of no work but eventually no work = no income.

    But there is passive income if you outsource all the work. If you are not a worker anymore but a business owner. An example of passive income is the income you earn from stocks.
    Signature
    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390222].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ryan David
      This "argument" kinda reminds me of threads where people say.

      "The money is in the list"

      "No, no, no...the money is in the RELATIONSHIP with the list"

      "No, no, no...the money is in the RESPONSIVENESS of the list"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390232].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kayshaw
        Well, I think that everyone must feel this at some point in launching a new internet venture. But there are passive income options available to you. Like other posters on this thread have already noted, there is affiliate marketing, sales pages, etc.
        However, you mentioned the constant work that you have to do to keep your page competitive. Firstly (and this goes for everything in life) you do have to put a bit of effort into anything to be successful and that could require taking months to lay a solid foundation to your site. The next thing you can do is buy PLR. I just put up a PLR site that will give me a semi-passive income and offers a valuable service to people like you. PLR writers write the content so you don't have to. You simply *tweak* the content and post it automatically or you can get people like me to put the content on there if you don't want to. PLR is a great option to keep your page competitive.
        There are also seo content packages available that have back-links already put in them. Just some food for thought....
        Signature

        Kayla Shaw
        The Ultimate Self-Help Niche Kickstart Package!
        PLR Provider/Copywriter/Ghostwriter



        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390296].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author capitalalchemy
        I came to this realization a couple of years ago and it frustrated me. Things can be passive, but eventually in IM must fade. You'll eventually lose rankings, you build a list with a great "sign up offer" and series of autoresponder messages that make great money, but eventually both become outdated, products get taken down so you have to start promoting something else - I've experienced all of this.

        The one thing that Ryan David mentioned I think is very true. It used to be just get people on a list and they were eager to explore. Then you had to write more compelling subject lines, then you had to build the relationship to the point where you knew these people better than your best friend. It's gotten very complicated.

        I just got done reading an article by an experienced marketer who has a huge list in the IM niche. He explained that the money has nearly dried up for him over the years, and that he partly blames the fact that people get tired of being pounded with offers.

        He explained that the new thing on the horizon is SEO, and that he is excited about learning it through-and-through and making money in this way. What he doesn't know is that SEO has it's challenges too.

        Passive income does exist.

        1. Dark Side Of The Moon (still selling)
        2. Harry Potter franchise (still selling)
        3. 3M (still need their products)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390314].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mantasmo
          Originally Posted by capitalalchemy View Post

          I just got done reading an article by an experienced marketer who has a huge list in the IM niche. He explained that the money has nearly dried up for him over the years, and that he partly blames the fact that people get tired of being pounded with offers.

          He explained that the new thing on the horizon is SEO, and that he is excited about learning it through-and-through and making money in this way.
          I could be wrong, but if he's an "experienced marketer in the IM niche", the whole thing sounds like a pre-launch of his next product. SEO Secrets or something similar.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390769].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thebitbotdotcom
          Originally Posted by capitalalchemy View Post

          I came to this realization a couple of years ago and it frustrated me. Things can be passive, but eventually in IM must fade. You'll eventually lose rankings, you build a list with a great "sign up offer" and series of autoresponder messages that make great money, but eventually both become outdated, products get taken down so you have to start promoting something else - I've experienced all of this.

          The one thing that Ryan David mentioned I think is very true. It used to be just get people on a list and they were eager to explore. Then you had to write more compelling subject lines, then you had to build the relationship to the point where you knew these people better than your best friend. It's gotten very complicated.

          I just got done reading an article by an experienced marketer who has a huge list in the IM niche. He explained that the money has nearly dried up for him over the years, and that he partly blames the fact that people get tired of being pounded with offers.

          He explained that the new thing on the horizon is SEO, and that he is excited about learning it through-and-through and making money in this way. What he doesn't know is that SEO has it's challenges too.

          Passive income does exist.

          1. Dark Side Of The Moon (still selling)
          2. Harry Potter franchise (still selling)
          3. 3M (still need their products)
          See bold: That's funny
          Signature
          Do Your Copywriting Skills Suck?

          Let Us Help You Develop Your Writing Skills!

          Submit Guest Posts With [ TheBitBot.Com ]
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5402715].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vvsingh
    Passive income is the level where money makes money and you just sit back. This state is called financial independence.H ave you read The Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Guy Kawasaki. Read it , It has a good explanation of passive income. Initially you have to work hard to reach that summit.
    Signature
    SEO Corporation is the the best company for Doctor SEO Services and social media optimization service
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390386].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
    To the OP, with all due respect, that's nonsense.

    I understand your reasoning, however, it's just faulty.

    Will
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390541].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author George Wright
      Originally Posted by Will Edwards View Post

      To the OP, with all due respect, that's nonsense.

      I understand your reasoning, however, it's just faulty.

      Will
      That's a very nice way to put it Will.
      Signature
      "The first chapter sells the book; the last chapter sells the next book." Mickey Spillane
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390743].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jumshi
    Hello all thanks for replies

    marketers who have been doing this for a long time have it easier, and those starting out will take longer because internet marketing is changing. more fiverr gigs? more competition. more unemployed? more people on here.

    want to hear any real answers from newbies - last 2yrs- who have created a product ( not affiliate) and making good money with it i want to hear from. and no, not listbuilding, just selling original product from traffic / seo they have created.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390698].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Invert Planet
      Originally Posted by jumshi View Post

      Hello all thanks for replies

      marketers who have been doing this for a long time have it easier, and those starting out will take longer because internet marketing is changing. more fiverr gigs? more competition. more unemployed? more people on here.

      want to hear any real answers from newbies - last 2yrs- who have created a product ( not affiliate) and making good money with it i want to hear from. and no, not listbuilding, just selling original product from traffic / seo they have created.
      For what it is worth:
      I had a good run with my site Shirakura now available in North America It was VERY niche and very flawed. It was certainly a learning lesson.
      1) physical products require volume (space). You have to stock those and have the space to keep adequate stock for the demand
      2) The demand is not always the same.. some product will become stale dated sitting waiting to be sold.
      3) Don't trust the supplier. I couldn't drop ship smaller orders and with each order the minimum volume went up (yes, we had a falling out).

      Lessons learned:
      If you are going physical product.. find a vendor that will drop ship.
      Find a product that is electronic, and you eliminate the need for storage. (bonus for affiliate sales)
      You don't need to have the BEST product out there. I was beaten by #2 and #3 simply because of price point. Not everyone has the $$ to buy the best... aka don't put all your $$ in one basket. Play the high rollers as well as the more value minded consumer.

      I hope that helped a bit...
      BTW.. I am still rebuilding the business after an awful spanking last year. Someone with deep $$ trumped me on advertising.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5398911].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasono
    There are lots of ways to earn passive income. That's why there are rich people. Many rich people earn from passive income - business.
    Signature

    Learn how to make more money using outsourcing and virtual assistants while freeing up your valuable time. Visit http://outsourcingautopilot.com

    Facebook - Twitter

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390719].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mantasmo
    The OP obviously hasn't thought this through very well. That's pretty common here on WF I gotta say.

    Aaanyways...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author adammaxum
    To create a passive income revenue stream, you have to remove yourself from the time equation. Solve the riddle, and you have found your answer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390764].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eleanor
    Passive income is definitely possible - it just depends on your definition of the term "passive income".

    In my opinion passive income is any income that has been generated from past efforts that no longer require maintenance or work of any kind.

    I have a few of these income streams... i.e. websites I've set up years a go that still make sales and I haven't touched them since setting up the site.

    Passive income is definitely possible - it's just a debate as to what your definition of "passive income" really is.


    Thanks
    Eleanor
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390790].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ry4884
    being new to any game in terms of money you will not be earning substantial passive income....you will eventually work your way there having your money work for you... and what ever little time you spend implementing things that might require minutes of your time, but reap you great reward is a learning process
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390826].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LegitIncomes
    Originally Posted by jumshi View Post

    hello everybody

    i have figured it out - passive income? there is no such thing

    promoting your website

    - SEO needs constant backlinking
    - article marketing needs constant submission
    - videos need constant outputting and promotion

    promoting your blog

    - daily posts to show you are an expert
    - backlinking constantly - forums blogs etc


    any more ive missed?

    there is no such thing as passive income because you constantly work to stay competitive
    You've obviously never won the lottery and taken the yearly payments.

    But yes, I do understand your point. 100% absolutely hands off, never touching the business, is extremely rare.

    However, a few minutes per day just to check in on things, that's much more common.
    Signature
    100% Unique Sales Page Website +100% Unique Internet Marketing Product
    + Support! All of this, just $397! (PM Me For Details!)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5390835].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Iriss
    That's not really the definition of passive income.

    Here is how you figure out whether your stream of income is passive or not:

    If you stop working on it today, will it make money for you tomorrow?

    Remember, that it's your choice to work as hard as you want/need.

    But working harder doesn't make your income not passive.

    If for any reason, passive income becomes important when you file your taxes. But you are still not entirely incorrect when you say passive income doesn't exist. It kind of exists. The point is, that there are limits. If you earn money from AdSense, you are nothing more than a contractor who works for Google, Inc. Passive or not. You are not their employee. This is a major distinction.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5402742].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zamzung
    I think most of you are missing on the meaning of "passive income"... it's more than possible but it can be understood in different ways... for someone that would be profit from websites he made a couple of years ago and didn't touch them since then... but that's not passive income, it's more like lucky income imo, although we can call it a "passive income"...

    List could be type of passive income but in reality it isn't because it requires constant work...

    What I refer to when I say "passive income", and many experts will agree with me, are membership sites... sell once, get paid for months... build once, sell forever without much changes... literally you can build membership sites pretty easily and pack it with 6 - 12 months content... or you can build content on the way, but once you create content for a particular month, you are done (almost) forever... now, you will need to work on marketing and getting sales, but once you sell, you will receive money for months to come... of course, if you have quality content that will make people stay your members... now that's passive income in my opinion...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5403800].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Meaney
      Originally Posted by zamzung View Post

      I think most of you are missing on the meaning of "passive income"... it's more than possible but it can be understood in different ways... for someone that would be profit from websites he made a couple of years ago and didn't touch them since then... but that's not passive income, it's more like lucky income imo, although we can call it a "passive income"...
      It's not luck, the results can be repeated.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5404324].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JeremiahSay
    It's possible to make money on auto-pilot, you just need to have the right system. take look at this YouTube video I've created


    (I don't meant to promote my website in anyway, just merely an example)

    hope this help, may God bless you,
    Jeremiah
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5404390].message }}

Trending Topics