3 Questions That Will Make You More Money When You Wake Up Every Morning

24 replies
Hey Warriors,

Hope you're having a great night.

I wanted to share with you guys the stuff I do "every morning" (sometimes afternoon lately haha ) to "get amped up" to work...

These questions are how I keep focused on my financial goals as well as personal "time spent working" goals (work less you'll make TONS more)

1. What Puts Cash In Your Pocket Today or Tomorrow?

This question seems obvious but I wonder how many marketers spend time actually thinking "what am I doing today that put money in my pocket today or will do so tomorrow"...

Things that I do that fall into this category include

a. Writing emails
b. Segmenting my no opens to mail again
c. Study the forums to find topics to write about
d. Bumping my free WSOs

2. What Am I Doing That's Going To Pay Off Every Day Going Forward?

This is a rare thing people focus on. Even the successful marketers I know rarely do this. Business is about creating assets that can help you grow your income but also grow your ability to have passive income. By creating things that can pay off every day...you effectively get infinite time or money savings

For Example...if you create something that saves you 1 minute per day...that's over 6 hours of time saved a year...what if you created 1 thing that saved you 1 minute per day a few times a week???

For me...this means creating

a. Templates I can use repeatedly
b. Turning old emails into new emails by remailing my list every few months on successful emails
c. Turning old crappy content into better learning formats for residual income
d. Doing a favor for someone and making a friend in the process.

WHICH LEADS ME TO THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE OF ALL

3. What Can I Do Today To Permanently Impact Someone's Business In A Positive Way...

I love helping people help themselves. I really try to spend a good hour or more each day coaching, strategizing, and helping others with their business. My specialty is WSOs so I do various interview products and other things to help people get their start in the WSO game. This has given me first hand experience doing/helping on WSOs with which I have no experience in the subject matter (offline, FB marketing, and outsourcing to name a few) as well as made a ton of new friends.

In many cases, it has directly resulted in affiliate commissions, coaching calls, and JV opportunities to grow my list.

So...ask yourself today how you can spend some time investing your human capital into someone else to generate tangible capital. You'll feel better and I guarantee you'll have a FLOOD of opportunity coming into your business.

Bonus Idea: As I finished writing this, I noticed that there's a natural synergy between these three. You can exponentially increase the results with these 3 questions if you integrate them together...like

"How can I create a multi-day payoff thing as well as positively impact someone's business"

OR

"How Can I Permanently Impact Someone's Business and Put Cash In My Pocket Today"...

This cerebral focus on these 3 strategic areas will help you make more money almost immediately as well as make new friends and make good Karma your nuclear weapon of awesome...

Hope this gets your wheels a turning here at 2am on the East Coast

Cheers,

Brad

PS- Please do leave your comments good and bad...I sincerely appreciate all your perspectives I may have missed. I'll edit this post and give you credit if you add some cool stuff...so let's see where this goes
#make #money #morning #questions #wake
  • Profile picture of the author edmltw
    The first one's a good wake-up call to those people who are not doing things that's making money yet. If you are creating some fancy images that doesn't contribute to your money-making, stop. If you are messing around with coding that serves no other purposes except for aesthetic desires, stop. Do keep in mind that the ultimate goal of Internet marketing in the first place to MAKE MONEY. The artistic aspect can come later after you have made the money.

    Just my cents! Hope I'm not too harsh. Lol.

    Edz
    Signature

    Need A Easy, Drag and Drop Website Creation Platform?
    Click Here To Find Out More

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416232].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
    I tell people a lot about how much value I get out of being in lots of Skype group masterminds. I look at your list of 3 things here (a good list, btw) and I realize that I can and do accomplish all 3 just by participating and sharing my stuff in there. Nice post.
    Signature

    Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
    Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James Sides
    Almost two years ago I had the opportunity to hop on a call with Mike Long (cofounder of bring the fresh and one of the guys behind Stompernet).

    We chatted for about an hour regarding business in general as I furiously took notes on pretty much everything Mike had to say.

    The one thing that sticks out more than anything else was when Mike asked me "What skills do you already possess that would allow you to provide the most comfortable lifestyle for your family while also adding maximum value to someone else's life?"

    When you focus on adding value to the lives of other people you can stop worrying about money as people tend to throw it at you willingly.

    Give freely of yourself and you shall be rewarded.

    Cheers,

    James
    Signature

    "People will remain the same until the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416268].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claire Koch
      Thats the ticket right there make a lot and make someone else(s) happier LOOOOOOOVE THAAAAT! lol. lol.

      Originally Posted by James Sides View Post

      Almost two years ago I had the opportunity to hop on a call with Mike Long (cofounder of bring the fresh and one of the guys behind Stompernet).

      We chatted for about an hour regarding business in general as I furiously took notes on pretty much everything Mike had to say.

      The one thing that sticks out more than anything else was when Mike asked me "What skills do you already possess that would allow you to provide the most comfortable lifestyle for your family while also adding maximum value to someone else's life?"

      When you focus on adding value to the lives of other people you can stop worrying about money as people tend to throw it at you willingly.

      Give freely of yourself and you shall be rewarded.

      Cheers,

      James
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5433808].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmandaT
    I love this. When I plan my days I make sure to do all of these things.

    I always make sure to do something that will result in immediate income each day. Usually I write articles. Other times I run offline campaigns with fliers.

    I also make sure to do something that will help with my residual income. This is usually things like my PLR packs.

    Both are very important to me. I want my passive income to become my main income, but until then I need the immediate income to fund my IM.

    I also agree about helping others. Not only do I enjoy helping people, but it helps build great relationships that could be very important for your business later. Most of my biggest affiliates for my PLR sites are people I promoted heavily as well. We promote each other and it gets us both more sales. I also know several people I helped out when they first got started that have been way better at making graphics or building websites than I am... I often trade articles for graphics or web design work now. Helping people and building relationships is a very important part of IM.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416308].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sith005
    Great stuff Brad! I admit one of my BIGGEST weaknesses is my ability to become distracted, or my inability to focus

    I often get mired in the minutiae of things where I would be far more productive by setting goals each day and tasks like you mention above. I do do these things, I just don't put structure around them. The funny thing is structure and organization are things I stress at my offline company, I just need to be able to do translate this into my online business!

    3 is a great one, and one that so many could benefit from if they focused on it. I'm still relatively new to some of this, but one thing always holds true in business-relationships are key. I also find that if you are genuine in your efforts, that shows through and goes a long way as opposed to going through the motions.

    Great stuff man, I'm going to print this bad boy out and keep it on my wall for when I lose focus!

    Danny
    Signature
    PPC-Coach Helped Me Become PROFITIBLE
    Find Out How Here!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416320].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Justin Wheeler
    Great list.

    One of the things that I am big on and getting much bigger on is planning particularly medium to long term planning, although weekly and daily as well.

    Whilst the what am I going to do to make cash today is always something to think about, I suspect that aspect can lead to an element of short term thinking as evidenced by some of the myriad of affiliate promotions I receive in my inbox every day!

    How far ahead does your thinking go?
    Signature
    I sell my own products and training via www.marketerspassport.com
    I review products and offer bonuses at www.wantabonus.com
    I blog personally, infrequently and a little randomly at www.justinwheeler.net
    And I run a Web Development and Social Media Consultancy at www.vashonmedia.com
    Look forward to knowing you... Drop by on Facebook
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416338].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author barbling
    Super topic! This is going on a neon sticky note onto my computer.

    I've never really thought about it before like this....let me now consider it.

    1. What Puts Cash In Your Pocket Today or Tomorrow?

    Promoting to my lists. Updating my DailyWsos.com . Writing tutorials (which is funny, because I stopped doing that to making products twice a week. Now that I've backed off on that, I can focus more).

    2. What Am I Doing That's Going To Pay Off Every Day Going Forward?

    Following scheduled tasks. My husband introduced me to calendars in Microsoft Outlook and keeping track of tasks. ie,

    5 tips for organizing your Outlook 2010 tasks - Microsoft Office Suite - Techguide
    6 ways to streamline your tasks in Outlook

    Love the idea of repackaging.

    3. What Can I Do Today To Permanently Impact Someone's Business In A Positive Way...

    I used to be far more prolific on the forums. Have to get back into that. But now, I try to help out/proactively give suggestions when I see folks are learning something I already know.

    Another thing I personally do is be a covert angel; if I see someone's business standing on the railroad tracks, I redirect the train before it arrives. That's one reason why the CES Product of the Year 2011 in audio's site was back up right before an award was given; I made it so.

    Having knowledge that others lack; it's not only a gift but sometimes, a good responsibility too. Always pay it forward and do the right thing.

    Great topic!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mantasmo
    1. First thing I do is answers all (sometimes dozens) of support emails every morning. Then I set up tasks for the day and organize order info properly.

    2. While my staff are working on the daily stuff I hop over to the site building team and look over their progress. We aim to build 2-3 high quality websites a week. These are my long term investment. For now.

    3. Providing a great product [1] is what I do to help other businesses. But I need to network more and perhaps find ways to share my knowledge with others as well. Not sure how, but I'm working on it.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416413].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lesterlim85
    Thanks for the share Brad.

    With regards to your Point 1, I have something similar to share as well, but it is on a broader basis..

    I enrolled in a course named Money & You (people like Anthony Robbins, Jack Canfield, Ben Cohen, etc attended it too) back in Nov 11. Since then, it reinforced many of my thoughts and opened my imagination and horizon even wider. One out of the many things I learnt is: What is your 4-foot niche?" Meaning, what is something that makes money for you easily, at the fastest time?

    Are we over-thinking about all our strategies, business plans? Shouldn't we be focusing on what we are really good at and then watch the "cha-ching" comes in? I only really started to make money and scaled up my effort ever since I decided to focus on doing product creation and JV brokering few months back, therefore I can totally resonate with that.

    And Point 3, yes love that point as well. What impact can you bring to other people's business and then helping yourself at the same time? My answer is to add or create value for others to create win-win situations for all parties. Also, use Leverage- Make the best of your resources (human or non-human) to achieve more with less.

    Cheers,
    Lester
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416418].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DueDiligenceDiva
      What a wonderful, stimulating post, Brad, thank you!

      I engage in a very similar practice in my businesses, and teach my clients/team to do the same.

      1. What Puts Cash In Your Pocket Today or Tomorrow?

      I refer to these as "high value activities", or as Stephen Covey refers to it, "Keeping the Main Thing the Main Thing". Amazing how many people can't even identify what their high value activities are, much less focus on them...

      2. What Am I Doing That's Going To Pay Off Every Day Going Forward?

      Love the reference to the 1% improvement~~I love to incorporate this Japanese concept of "Kaizen", continual improvement, into every thing I do, as a business woman, a mom, a friend, etc.

      One very cool thing happening for me as I scale up is hiring VA's to assist with a variety of tasks. Funny, though, how "freeing" up my time initially is taking an investment of my time, as I focus on creating a streamlined system that allows my helpers to help me better, in alignment with my business goals. Now my first focus of the day is to make certain line up my VA tasks with specificity and checklists, so that I don't reach the end of the day without a plan for my business to run without me overnight (gotta love the power of the world wide web to connect our businesses globally!)

      3. What Can I Do Today To Permanently Impact Someone's Business In A Positive Way...

      This is definitely the strongest motivator for me. As someone whose passion is helping others, I've learned that by honing in on how to help others grow their business process and profits, my business profits and process benefit exponentially. It's much more effective for me, personally, to focus on being a positive impact in someone's life/business rather than focusing on the financial bottom line, which doesn't get my juices flowing as effectively. As a consultant, it's phenomenal to have that ability valued and get paid for the effort, but ultimately I am fueled to be of benefit whether there's a paycheck involved or not.

      One way I have been ramping up this focus in my business for 2012 is what I call "personifying my why". I literally post pictures of my top 3-5 people representing the priorities in my life in front of my face, above my monitor. By making my customer avatar REAL, with a face and name attached (e.g. Harold needs to make $5k by March 2012 to be able to support his family), I am reminded of the importance of my influence and how my daily business activity is changing lives for the better.

      Again, great post, and appreciate your amazing impact on the community!

      Lory
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416901].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zamzung
    That is an awesome post! I totally agree with everything been said there... It would be great if more people involved with online business and internet marketing would think like that...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stefan S
    Thanks Brad

    Great stuff you are covering in your post.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417222].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jborjaperez
    I've been slowly realizing these kinds of questions and the effect it has on my productivity. Often times distractions get the best of us but these questions are sure fire ways to stay on track.

    Awesome advice. I'm writing these exact questions down on my notepad.

    -Jared
    Signature

    In my signature.. It's not a secret method.. It's a lifestyle.. It's Day 1, Follow Me From The Bottom UP!

    I Write Articles Too! PM ME!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5417681].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brad Spencer
      For Starters: Thanks everyone for posting and recognizing the value...I really appreciate the time you took to write your thoughts...always good to get one or two random ideas and I've gotten lots more than that from you guys

      My replies are below your posts. Thanks again,

      Brad


      Originally Posted by edmltw View Post

      The first one's a good wake-up call to those people who are not doing things that's making money yet. If you are creating some fancy images that doesn't contribute to your money-making, stop. If you are messing around with coding that serves no other purposes except for aesthetic desires, stop. Do keep in mind that the ultimate goal of Internet marketing in the first place to MAKE MONEY. The artistic aspect can come later after you have made the money.

      Just my cents! Hope I'm not too harsh. Lol.

      Edz
      Edz-

      You're totally on point. This is something people always screw up. In teh beginning, you need lots of utility and then can add design and super features in later. The key is getting something out the door. If you aren't launching then you aren't going to make money.

      Speed of the launch= faster data acquirement= faster to improving...

      i think the software people call this "iterations" and SCRUM and AGILE working environments are really neat.

      Focusing on bringing in the bacon is super critical.

      Cheers,

      Brad

      PS- You're not offensive at all and people need to hear the tough truth ALWAYS...

      Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

      I tell people a lot about how much value I get out of being in lots of Skype group masterminds. I look at your list of 3 things here (a good list, btw) and I realize that I can and do accomplish all 3 just by participating and sharing my stuff in there. Nice post.
      Mastermind groups take this to a whole new level.

      The leverage in them is WAY more than doing this individually through skype.

      Cheers,

      Brad

      Originally Posted by James Sides View Post

      Almost two years ago I had the opportunity to hop on a call with Mike Long (cofounder of bring the fresh and one of the guys behind Stompernet).

      We chatted for about an hour regarding business in general as I furiously took notes on pretty much everything Mike had to say.

      The one thing that sticks out more than anything else was when Mike asked me "What skills do you already possess that would allow you to provide the most comfortable lifestyle for your family while also adding maximum value to someone else's life?"

      When you focus on adding value to the lives of other people you can stop worrying about money as people tend to throw it at you willingly.

      Give freely of yourself and you shall be rewarded.

      Cheers,

      James
      Generosity is very much the key to everything. The funny thing about giving is that it's one of the most leveraged activities we can do...

      Imagine permanently impacting someone's business EACH DAY and how much of a "good will ambassador" army of affiliates you'd create in the process?

      The leverage is utterly incredible. I know you do this James but its something that can't be repeated enough.

      Love ya man,

      Brad

      Originally Posted by AmandaT View Post

      I love this. When I plan my days I make sure to do all of these things.

      I always make sure to do something that will result in immediate income each day. Usually I write articles. Other times I run offline campaigns with fliers.

      I also make sure to do something that will help with my residual income. This is usually things like my PLR packs.

      Both are very important to me. I want my passive income to become my main income, but until then I need the immediate income to fund my IM.

      I also agree about helping others. Not only do I enjoy helping people, but it helps build great relationships that could be very important for your business later. Most of my biggest affiliates for my PLR sites are people I promoted heavily as well. We promote each other and it gets us both more sales. I also know several people I helped out when they first got started that have been way better at making graphics or building websites than I am... I often trade articles for graphics or web design work now. Helping people and building relationships is a very important part of IM.
      Hey Amanda,

      Thanks for posting. Here's something ninja for you to consider. I'm not sure what your numbers are...but what if you could hire a simple VA to help you with certain tasks in your article writing as well as PLR pack creation business.

      If you improved each of these tasks by 1% then imagine where you'd be income wise by the end of the year Good times...

      Thanks for posting!

      Brad

      Originally Posted by sith005 View Post

      Great stuff Brad! I admit one of my BIGGEST weaknesses is my ability to become distracted, or my inability to focus

      I often get mired in the minutiae of things where I would be far more productive by setting goals each day and tasks like you mention above. I do do these things, I just don't put structure around them. The funny thing is structure and organization are things I stress at my offline company, I just need to be able to do translate this into my online business!

      3 is a great one, and one that so many could benefit from if they focused on it. I'm still relatively new to some of this, but one thing always holds true in business-relationships are key. I also find that if you are genuine in your efforts, that shows through and goes a long way as opposed to going through the motions.

      Great stuff man, I'm going to print this bad boy out and keep it on my wall for when I lose focus!

      Danny
      Danny,

      Minutae is fine...just do it at the END of your productive day not in between. Every time you switch tasks it takes your brain 15 minutes to go back into it's high productive trance (Flow)...

      Just finish stuff then let other stuff pile up and kill the minutae later when you're sort of in "la la land" and don't want to work...don't waste your quality fresh mind power on junk is basically my point.

      Cheers,

      Brad
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420466].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bgean
        Great topic!

        RE: What Can I Do Today To Permanently Impact Someone's Business In A Positive Way...

        I'm in the process of writing a new guide about starting an Internet business and one of the sections deals with building long-lasting loyalty. A topic that is always on my mind.

        Here's an excerpt:

        "The best method to earn the trust of your followers stems from your knowledge and a willingness to share. Meaning, you have a genuine concern for their well-being and you are willing to help people even if it means you don't earn a single penny.

        I am not implying that you should always share at no cost and never try to sell to your followers. There will be opportunities to sell to your list, and you should do so, but there has to be a balance between what you sell and what you give away."

        I tend to tip the scale in favor of giving more than I sell. You can never go wrong when you help others. Karma has a way of repaying you for your kindness.
        Signature
        ----- ** -----

        BonnieGean.com · Building Community
        Free Reports & Tutorials for Budding Entrepreneurs
        Creator of Infographics KickStart
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5433612].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gvsridhar171
    Hi Brad ! What a thought provoking post ! Fantastic. You have made number of people think. Is this what every one of us are doing ? Time Management and Prioritization are the two key factors for better productivity. Often people end up doing things which are easy and would not give them immediate income. But those things have to be done anyway. But they end up doing those things during key productive hours. And try to do things which are very important during the hours, when the other party would be sleeping. So it gets postponed to the next day and this is how majority of us lose productivity. Do you agree ?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5433684].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mary Wilhite
    Originally Posted by Brad Spencer View Post

    Hey Warriors,



    3. What Can I Do Today To Permanently Impact Someone's Business In A Positive Way...

    OR

    "How Can I Permanently Impact Someone's Business and Put Cash In My Pocket Today"...
    Profound questions indeed.

    If everybody asked this question, I guess the scams I see around these days would drastically go down.

    Most people are focused on making money. They sell crap and refuse to give refunds when requested. Few, if any, truly appreciate the concept of customer lifetime value.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5433743].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author john b
    man, thats why i love coming in to this forum, always picking up some great tips.

    now, i just need to get myself more motivated and start my own to do list

    thanks,
    john b
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5438182].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brad Spencer
      Originally Posted by Justin Wheeler View Post

      Great list.

      One of the things that I am big on and getting much bigger on is planning particularly medium to long term planning, although weekly and daily as well.

      Whilst the what am I going to do to make cash today is always something to think about, I suspect that aspect can lead to an element of short term thinking as evidenced by some of the myriad of affiliate promotions I receive in my inbox every day!

      How far ahead does your thinking go?
      Well...see the reason why I can focus on these shorter term goals is that they are a part of my longer term goal. By having a monthly income goal...I know what i want to reach each day...so that means that focusing on my "what puts cash in my pocket goal" is fulfilling my longer term (30 day goal in this case) which fulfills my Quarterly goal and the 4 Quarterly goals fulfill my year long goal.

      So...I focus ont he little thing which then affects how my 30 day goal happens..which then I adjust my quarterly goal up/down and so on.

      This is how I do long term planning by using micro (each day) goals

      Cheers,

      Brad

      Originally Posted by barbling View Post

      Super topic! This is going on a neon sticky note onto my computer.

      I've never really thought about it before like this....let me now consider it.

      1. What Puts Cash In Your Pocket Today or Tomorrow?

      Promoting to my lists. Updating my DailyWsos.com . Writing tutorials (which is funny, because I stopped doing that to making products twice a week. Now that I've backed off on that, I can focus more).

      2. What Am I Doing That's Going To Pay Off Every Day Going Forward?

      Following scheduled tasks. My husband introduced me to calendars in Microsoft Outlook and keeping track of tasks. ie,

      5 tips for organizing your Outlook 2010 tasks - Microsoft Office Suite - Techguide
      6 ways to streamline your tasks in Outlook

      Love the idea of repackaging.

      3. What Can I Do Today To Permanently Impact Someone's Business In A Positive Way...

      I used to be far more prolific on the forums. Have to get back into that. But now, I try to help out/proactively give suggestions when I see folks are learning something I already know.

      Another thing I personally do is be a covert angel; if I see someone's business standing on the railroad tracks, I redirect the train before it arrives. That's one reason why the CES Product of the Year 2011 in audio's site was back up right before an award was given; I made it so.

      Having knowledge that others lack; it's not only a gift but sometimes, a good responsibility too. Always pay it forward and do the right thing.

      Great topic!

      Barbara,

      I love the "Covert Angel" topic. It's really easy to do and a great JV-getting strategy. I'm surprised people don't use it more often since it takes a lot less time and has a way larger impact than almost any other JV getting strategy.

      Thanks for posting

      Brad

      Originally Posted by lesterlim85 View Post

      Thanks for the share Brad.

      With regards to your Point 1, I have something similar to share as well, but it is on a broader basis..

      I enrolled in a course named Money & You (people like Anthony Robbins, Jack Canfield, Ben Cohen, etc attended it too) back in Nov 11. Since then, it reinforced many of my thoughts and opened my imagination and horizon even wider. One out of the many things I learnt is: What is your 4-foot niche?" Meaning, what is something that makes money for you easily, at the fastest time?

      Are we over-thinking about all our strategies, business plans? Shouldn't we be focusing on what we are really good at and then watch the "cha-ching" comes in? I only really started to make money and scaled up my effort ever since I decided to focus on doing product creation and JV brokering few months back, therefore I can totally resonate with that.

      And Point 3, yes love that point as well. What impact can you bring to other people's business and then helping yourself at the same time? My answer is to add or create value for others to create win-win situations for all parties. Also, use Leverage- Make the best of your resources (human or non-human) to achieve more with less.

      Cheers,
      Lester
      Lester,

      You focusing on your JV brokering stuff is why you're kicking ass.

      Having fun= having money

      Love it and thanks for sharing brotha...really respect you.

      Brad
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5438614].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Brad Spencer
        @Lory (AKA Due Diligence Diva)

        1. What Puts Cash In Your Pocket Today or Tomorrow?

        I refer to these as "high value activities", or as Stephen Covey refers to it, "Keeping the Main Thing the Main Thing". Amazing how many people can't even identify what their high value activities are, much less focus on them...
        Knowing your high value activities is key to making a business work. It is amazing how few know that. But even more amazing is how few giant corporations don't know their high value activities.

        This is proven by a few things...

        1. The fact they have people work 8 hours a day 5 days a week...humans aren't really designed to do this and this 8H/5D schedule is a relic of the old manufacturing giants giving concessions to labor unions in the Guilded Age.

        We aren't built psychologically to be able to be productive for this long in such an awkward/unnatural environment (who actually likes going to work in their office???)

        Companies like Zappos are changing this by trying to make offices cool...but for a lot of people...telecommuting is just as productive if not more so and letting people work 1 or 2 days a week at home allows them to save tons of money on gas and bills as well as have less stress...

        Ah...I digress but this is a big one...

        2. They dont' focus on delighting their customers.

        I read something recently on Forbes.com about how Apple only sells about 4% of the worldwide volume of handsets and yet makes 50% of the global profits for handset OEMs (manufacturers). Interesting stat about people paying a ton of money to be delighted

        2. What Am I Doing That's Going To Pay Off Every Day Going Forward?

        Love the reference to the 1% improvement~~I love to incorporate this Japanese concept of "Kaizen", continual improvement, into every thing I do, as a business woman, a mom, a friend, etc.

        One very cool thing happening for me as I scale up is hiring VA's to assist with a variety of tasks. Funny, though, how "freeing" up my time initially is taking an investment of my time, as I focus on creating a streamlined system that allows my helpers to help me better, in alignment with my business goals. Now my first focus of the day is to make certain line up my VA tasks with specificity and checklists, so that I don't reach the end of the day without a plan for my business to run without me overnight (gotta love the power of the world wide web to connect our businesses globally!)
        Kaizen is super powerful. It has its limitations but if the mechanical/obsessive manifestation of Kaizen is combined with delighting people and exciting, thrilling, and entertaining them in your products...business will freaking explode

        3. What Can I Do Today To Permanently Impact Someone's Business In A Positive Way...

        This is definitely the strongest motivator for me. As someone whose passion is helping others, I've learned that by honing in on how to help others grow their business process and profits, my business profits and process benefit exponentially. It's much more effective for me, personally, to focus on being a positive impact in someone's life/business rather than focusing on the financial bottom line, which doesn't get my juices flowing as effectively. As a consultant, it's phenomenal to have that ability valued and get paid for the effort, but ultimately I am fueled to be of benefit whether there's a paycheck involved or not.

        One way I have been ramping up this focus in my business for 2012 is what I call "personifying my why". I literally post pictures of my top 3-5 people representing the priorities in my life in front of my face, above my monitor. By making my customer avatar REAL, with a face and name attached (e.g. Harold needs to make $5k by March 2012 to be able to support his family), I am reminded of the importance of my influence and how my daily business activity is changing lives for the better.

        Again, great post, and appreciate your amazing impact on the community!

        Lory
        That's a great idea of using a customer avatar for keeping focused...gonna add that to my repetoire...

        It really is amazing that income is directly correlated to how much you give. The more you give...the more you make but the less you actually "work." That is really key.

        You might really like Tony Hseih's book on Zappos...I bought it recently though I forget the title off hand...

        THanks for posting Lory...really appreciate your insights

        Brad
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5439011].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hustlinsmoke
    They are all excellent wake up calls. I actually have a product that is close to that and wish I would of read this post before I made it lol. Wouldn't of stole but you gave some great ideas.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5438716].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gengis
    These are definitely great questions. I especially like #3
    Signature
    My Craigslist Arbitrage Method Of Making Money On Demand -->

    http://www.warriorplus.com/w/v/f2fwlp
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5439094].message }}

Trending Topics