Are You Doing Well In Amazon Kindle?

48 replies
Hey, I am wondering if you found some categories that sell BEST on Kindle. I am talking about 3000+ downloads per ebook when you hit one day promotion?

I've got 4098 downloads for 1 day promotion in Money & Monetary Policy. That's so far one of the winners.

A friend of mine hit 7,100 downloads for 1 day promotion in the recipes category.

What do you find to be "hot" today in Kindle?
Thanks for sharing...

"Success leaves clues :-) " - Anthony Robbins
Chris Diamond

P.S. How many downloads you've got and category name?
#amazon #kdp #kindle #promotion
  • Profile picture of the author YasirYar
    I don't know myself, but I'd love to find out. However, I do believe that it could be problematic to find such niches and make money in them.
    Signature

    >>>Get your websites ACTUALLY ranked by checking these out: Quantum SEO Labs, Home Page Link Building & SERP Ability. Want to get rid of negative listings? Check out Reputation Enhancer.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5718798].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmanjack
    I would be interested in this also but i doubt many will share their profitable niches for free.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5734565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tonylee93
    I keep hearing that amazon kindle has been doing really well for them and thats exciting I am hoping once I get things to slow down and in the future I get get into it! Is it easy to jump into? or something you need to do a lot of research for?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5734603].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
      Yes, you heard right. Amazon Kindle is a real "force" this year. It will continue to do so. Amazon is heavily promoting their Kindle devices.

      It's easy to jump in, but you if do not like to put much efforts to it, just like everything else, is going to fail.


      Originally Posted by Tonylee93 View Post

      I keep hearing that amazon kindle has been doing really well for them and thats exciting I am hoping once I get things to slow down and in the future I get get into it! Is it easy to jump into? or something you need to do a lot of research for?
      Signature

      Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5735329].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marko87
    It's pretty easy to upload an ebook and get everything going on kindle. A good way to do it is make short report type ebooks (~20 pages in length) so as far as research and time taken goes it depends on how fast you can do this.

    Loads of people went ahead and just uploaded plr ebooks but I don't think that will fly now. Amazon checks for duplicate content when you upload.

    As far as niches go it really comes down to the evergreen stuff such as health, wealth and relationships. Although it's best that you write in niches you are passionate about, if you are passionate about a subject I'm sure there will be others. Plus you could make lots of books in a small niche and totally dominate it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5735168].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Danny Cutts
    yeah as said before by someone else...

    I doubt that people will give that information away.. Like I wont disclose many of the niches I work in as I have spent the last 10 or so years learning and testing and I am not just going to give that up :-)

    All I am going to say is

    TEST!!! TEST!!! TEST!!!

    Good Luck

    Danny
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5735603].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Ogbin
    I have one in Amazon kindle and is good for me even get almost 500 downloads a day but it's OK.

    I found that the hottest categories are cooking, especially books that talking about recipes such as new recipes, healthy recipes, weight loss recipes.

    And also the entertainment categories, books about how to use PS3 or xbox 360 and others like that.
    Signature
    Speedy Up - Jumping game that change your mood and put smile in your face :)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5735784].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
      Originally Posted by Mike Ogbin View Post

      I have one in Amazon kindle and is good for me even get almost 500 downloads a day but it's OK.

      I found that the hottest categories are cooking, especially books that talking about recipes such as new recipes, healthy recipes, weight loss recipes.

      And also the entertainment categories, books about how to use PS3 or xbox 360 and others like that.
      That's very interesting man! Thanks for sharing. I also heard the recipes categories are also hot, but did not know the PS3 and Xbox 360 books also did well.
      Signature

      Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5736666].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LilBlackDress
        Originally Posted by Guru_Marketing View Post

        That's very interesting man! Thanks for sharing. I also heard the recipes categories are also hot, but did not know the PS3 and Xbox 360 books also did well.
        But with so many WSO's recommending recipe ebooks, and just taking ones on the net and making minor tweaks, Amazon will likely start cracking down like they did with PLR.
        Signature

        Pen Name + 8 eBooks + social media sites 4 SALE - PM me (evergreen beauty niche)

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5736836].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
          Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post

          But with so many WSO's recommending recipe ebooks, and just taking ones on the net and making minor tweaks, Amazon will likely start cracking down like they did with PLR.
          Sure, but Amazon did not make this step - yet :-) How do you know what Amazon will do? They are constantly changing things anyway.

          Do you have something to add into this discussion? What are the hot categories in your experience LilBlackDress?
          Signature

          Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5736910].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author edlewis
    Originally Posted by Guru_Marketing View Post

    Hey, I am wondering if you found some categories that sell BEST on Kindle. I am talking about 3000+ downloads per ebook when you hit one day promotion?

    I've got 4098 downloads for 1 day promotion in Money & Monetary Policy. That's so far one of the winners.

    A friend of mine hit 7,100 downloads for 1 day promotion in the recipes category.

    What do you find to be "hot" today in Kindle?
    Thanks for sharing...

    "Success leaves clues :-) " - Anthony Robbins
    Chris Diamond

    P.S. How many downloads you've got and category name?

    Okay....sorry....but this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

    I fail to see how Kindle "success" has anything to do with the number of FREE ebooks someone gives away.

    I've now seen SEVERAL (more than 4) threads here on the WarriorForum where people are talking about the excitement they have because of all the FREE copies of their ebook they have GIVEN away on Kindle.

    Honestly, it boggles my mind...

    Is someone out there telling people this is "success"?

    I don't get it...

    Personally, I prefer when someone either BUYS or BORROWS one of my ebooks on Amazon...ya know, because I actually make money when that happens...

    I understand that there are times when a FREE promotion on Amazon may have it's benefits, but I really believe many Kindle publishers are blindly following the advice that giving ebooks away for FREE is always a good thing...

    ...and I must say I disagree entirely.

    Running free promos isn't always a good thing.

    But...I'm the only one who seems to be saying that, so I'm sure everyone will be more than ready to tell me just how "wrong" I am....even though I have actual data from my Kindle business to prove just that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5738139].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pianorosa
      Those categories that do well for me are in the Business, Cooking, Weight Loss, How To Advice & Fun and Entertainment categories.

      Rosa
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5739664].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
      I do not think this is somehow related to this discussion, but the main reason why people do free promotions is because they get higher rankings on Amazon, and if you do not use promotions, you are falling behind!

      It may seem counter-intuitive for some folks, but that's what works. If you are sending traffic to your books from external sources (from your website, blog, social media), then you may not need free promotions.

      If you solely want to use Amazon's traffic, you need to use free promotions to make it work.

      Chris D.

      Originally Posted by edlewis View Post

      Okay....sorry....but this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

      I fail to see how Kindle "success" has anything to do with the number of FREE ebooks someone gives away.

      I've now seen SEVERAL (more than 4) threads here on the WarriorForum where people are talking about the excitement they have because of all the FREE copies of their ebook they have GIVEN away on Kindle.

      Honestly, it boggles my mind...

      Is someone out there telling people this is "success"?

      I don't get it...

      Personally, I prefer when someone either BUYS or BORROWS one of my ebooks on Amazon...ya know, because I actually make money when that happens...

      I understand that there are times when a FREE promotion on Amazon may have it's benefits, but I really believe many Kindle publishers are blindly following the advice that giving ebooks away for FREE is always a good thing...

      ...and I must say I disagree entirely.

      Running free promos isn't always a good thing.

      But...I'm the only one who seems to be saying that, so I'm sure everyone will be more than ready to tell me just how "wrong" I am....even though I have actual data from my Kindle business to prove just that.
      Signature

      Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5740486].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author macmani
        Hello Guys:

        I have 3 ebooks on amazon and I sell about 30 copies per month put together at 2.99 a piece and make about 100 bucks, not much, but still earning. Planning to add more titles in the coming days. I did 0 promotion nor gave away any books. May be I need to promote more to increase sales. All are in the how to niche which solves a problem.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5740697].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
          Originally Posted by macmani View Post

          Hello Guys:

          I have 3 ebooks on amazon and I sell about 30 copies per month put together at 2.99 a piece and make about 100 bucks, not much, but still earning. Planning to add more titles in the coming days. I did 0 promotion nor gave away any books. May be I need to promote more to increase sales. All are in the how to niche which solves a problem.
          Exactly! You need to promote your books to boost sales.
          Signature

          Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5741050].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author netcowboy
            I have 8 kindle books up now. A fiction novel, a collection of short stories, a weight loss book and 5 recipe collections I have compiled over the years because I love to cook good food.

            The kindle sales have offered me a chance to write more fiction and it's the best thing that could have happened for me. My goal is to offer quality content and that translates into good sales and happy buyers.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5743821].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author richrowley
      Originally Posted by edlewis View Post

      Okay....sorry....but this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

      I fail to see how Kindle "success" has anything to do with the number of FREE ebooks someone gives away.

      I've now seen SEVERAL (more than 4) threads here on the WarriorForum where people are talking about the excitement they have because of all the FREE copies of their ebook they have GIVEN away on Kindle.

      Honestly, it boggles my mind...

      Is someone out there telling people this is "success"?

      I don't get it...

      Personally, I prefer when someone either BUYS or BORROWS one of my ebooks on Amazon...ya know, because I actually make money when that happens...

      I understand that there are times when a FREE promotion on Amazon may have it's benefits, but I really believe many Kindle publishers are blindly following the advice that giving ebooks away for FREE is always a good thing...

      ...and I must say I disagree entirely.

      Running free promos isn't always a good thing.

      But...I'm the only one who seems to be saying that, so I'm sure everyone will be more than ready to tell me just how "wrong" I am....even though I have actual data from my Kindle business to prove just that.
      I think I agree on this. Definitely dont judge your own success on free downloads as they dont generate any income. However if a free promo increases your sales in the future then yes go with it.

      As of yet I haven't done any promotions, but sales are good and consistant.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5743895].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author edlewis
        Originally Posted by Guru_Marketing View Post

        I do not think this is somehow related to this discussion, but the main reason why people do free promotions is because they get higher rankings on Amazon, and if you do not use promotions, you are falling behind!

        It may seem counter-intuitive for some folks, but that's what works. If you are sending traffic to your books from external sources (from your website, blog, social media), then you may not need free promotions.

        If you solely want to use Amazon's traffic, you need to use free promotions to make it work.

        Chris D.

        Do you know that for a FACT?

        Or are you just assuming it is a fact because it has been parroted over and over again...?


        Look....I'm not some Kindle newbie...and I've actually tested and tracked results from Kindle promos on more than 30 ebooks of my own.

        In most cases, running free promos has hurt my rankings and sales.

        The ONLY time I would use a free promo is with a BRAND-new ebook.

        I made the mistake of running free promos with some books that were selling well...and it has been a DISASTER.

        I've seen my sales cut in half in some cases.

        Again, I'm not some newbie....I've built a business on Kindle.

        But this idea that just running a free promo is some MIRACLE strategy is BS....I know you won't hear other Kindle people saying that, but it's true.

        I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade....but I'm also not going to piss on your leg and tell you it's raining.

        Running free promos can help you make more sales on Amazon...in the right situations and with a strategy. Done incorrectly, they can cost you money....

        Originally Posted by richrowley View Post

        I think I agree on this. Definitely dont judge your own success on free downloads as they dont generate any income. However if a free promo increases your sales in the future then yes go with it.

        As of yet I haven't done any promotions, but sales are good and consistant.

        Exactly. Use the promos to boost sales and then get excited about that.

        But be careful...they might not.

        One of the big fibs is that giving away all those free promos will send your sales rank shooting thru the roof.

        Maybe this is true with books that have made no sales...I can promise you that is is NOT true when it comes to books that are already selling well.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5744160].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
          Yes edlewis! It makes sense! Free promotions should be used for NEW books only. This is what I do, and it increases their rankings. Once the book takes on its own, I stop doing promotions.

          There's no need to do free promotions, since the book is already selling well. It does not make sense to me either...

          Thanks for clarifying this.
          Chris D.

          P.S. I understand you got overly emotional, because you got hurt in the past. However, it's a good lesson to consider. Free promotions work only on new books that do not sell well at first. That's the whole purpose behind the free promotions.

          P.P.S. But lets get back to the topic. Do you know which categories sell better, have you done some testing, since you are in the Kindle business for a while?

          Originally Posted by edlewis View Post

          Do you know that for a FACT?

          Or are you just assuming it is a fact because it has been parroted over and over again...?


          Look....I'm not some Kindle newbie...and I've actually tested and tracked results from Kindle promos on more than 30 ebooks of my own.

          In most cases, running free promos has hurt my rankings and sales.

          The ONLY time I would use a free promo is with a BRAND-new ebook.

          I made the mistake of running free promos with some books that were selling well...and it has been a DISASTER.

          I've seen my sales cut in half in some cases.

          Again, I'm not some newbie....I've built a business on Kindle.

          But this idea that just running a free promo is some MIRACLE strategy is BS....I know you won't hear other Kindle people saying that, but it's true.

          I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade....but I'm also not going to piss on your leg and tell you it's raining.

          Running free promos can help you make more sales on Amazon...in the right situations and with a strategy. Done incorrectly, they can cost you money....




          Exactly. Use the promos to boost sales and then get excited about that.

          But be careful...they might not.

          One of the big fibs is that giving away all those free promos will send your sales rank shooting thru the roof.

          Maybe this is true with books that have made no sales...I can promise you that is is NOT true when it comes to books that are already selling well.
          Signature

          Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5744825].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cage73
      Originally Posted by edlewis View Post

      Okay....sorry....but this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

      I fail to see how Kindle "success" has anything to do with the number of FREE ebooks someone gives away.

      I've now seen SEVERAL (more than 4) threads here on the WarriorForum where people are talking about the excitement they have because of all the FREE copies of their ebook they have GIVEN away on Kindle.

      Honestly, it boggles my mind...

      Is someone out there telling people this is "success"?

      I don't get it...

      Personally, I prefer when someone either BUYS or BORROWS one of my ebooks on Amazon...ya know, because I actually make money when that happens...

      I understand that there are times when a FREE promotion on Amazon may have it's benefits, but I really believe many Kindle publishers are blindly following the advice that giving ebooks away for FREE is always a good thing...

      ...and I must say I disagree entirely.

      Running free promos isn't always a good thing.

      But...I'm the only one who seems to be saying that, so I'm sure everyone will be more than ready to tell me just how "wrong" I am....even though I have actual data from my Kindle business to prove just that.
      I agree with everything you just said.

      The books that I currently have on Kindle are doing very well for me, so giving them away for free does nothing to help me or my kindle success. Kindle success should be measured on how many books you sell, not how many are given away.
      Signature

      West Coast Goodz Leadz Group - https://www.gumroad.com/a/957969523

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5744050].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MJGottlieb
      I agree with the concept of what you get is what you pay for so giving away free material I don't think is a good indicator of the success of the material once it actually costs something.

      I have a few question though if u don't mind as u seem 2 have a good grip on kindle

      1- Did you have any previous background as an author bf going on Kindle or were u a 1st timer to publishing when u started with them

      2- what price do u find is advantageous 2 u for ur e-books and about how many words r they?

      3- do u publish on Kindle select or regular kindle

      4- what do u attribute ur success to outside of giving really good content (marketing, etc)

      Would appreciate the feedback and thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5966635].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author cashp0wer
        I have some friends that are doing really well selling ebooks on Kindle. It's something that has been in the back of my mind for quite a while. I own a Kindle and love it and I could see profiting from it. Good luck with this.
        Signature
        My Internet Marketing Blog - Warts And All!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5966904].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MJGottlieb
      Originally Posted by edlewis View Post

      Okay....sorry....but this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

      I fail to see how Kindle "success" has anything to do with the number of FREE ebooks someone gives away.

      I've now seen SEVERAL (more than 4) threads here on the WarriorForum where people are talking about the excitement they have because of all the FREE copies of their ebook they have GIVEN away on Kindle.

      Honestly, it boggles my mind...

      Is someone out there telling people this is "success"?

      I don't get it...

      Personally, I prefer when someone either BUYS or BORROWS one of my ebooks on Amazon...ya know, because I actually make money when that happens...

      I understand that there are times when a FREE promotion on Amazon may have it's benefits, but I really believe many Kindle publishers are blindly following the advice that giving ebooks away for FREE is always a good thing...

      ...and I must say I disagree entirely.

      Running free promos isn't always a good thing.

      But...I'm the only one who seems to be saying that, so I'm sure everyone will be more than ready to tell me just how "wrong" I am....even though I have actual data from my Kindle business to prove just that.

      Sorry, forgot to quote u in my previous post... New to WF... so here goes...

      I completely agree with the concept of what you get is what you pay for so giving away free material I don't think is a good indicator of the success of the material once it actually costs something.

      I have a few questions though if u don't mind as u seem 2 have a good grip on kindle

      1- Did you have any previous background as an author bf going on Kindle or were u a 1st timer to publishing when u started with them

      2- what price do u find is advantageous 2 u for ur e-books and about how many words r they? (from what I've read word count determines price to some extent)

      3- do u publish on Kindle select or regular kindle

      4- what do u attribute ur success to outside of providing really good content. (What did u do for marketing, did u have a blog following, etc etc )

      Would appreciate the feedback and thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5972190].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    I do not have anything on Kindle right now... but I will eventually.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5744283].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hardcoremarketing
    Amazon does maintain best seller lists, which give clues about what people are buying, but ultimately Amazon is no different than IM- find a niche, write an ebook directed at that niche and see what happens.
    If you want help putting a short ebook together, I ghost write and am using special pricing to help my WF cred. So, for $60, you get a writing coach and for $99, you get a complete book, any niche. PM me if I can help.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5744979].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JennyBizz
    Last month I published a book on Kindle in the erotica niche and I'm liking the way that it's going. I can see LOTS of potential there. : )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5785038].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
      Originally Posted by JennyBizz View Post

      Last month I published a book on Kindle in the erotica niche and I'm liking the way that it's going. I can see LOTS of potential there. : )
      Lol nice one Jenny! Thanks for sharing!
      Signature

      Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5785285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ashloren
    Yeah, erotica seems like it would be a hot topic on Kindle...

    I have been selling my personal memoir (really was just a sporadic journal I kept for a few years) on Kindle for the past 16 months. The title seems to stir up controversy and attract buyers - "Sex, Drugs & Being an Escort"

    Monthly profits from this single title have ranged between $200-$500 consistently.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5785392].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
      Originally Posted by ashloren View Post

      Yeah, erotica seems like it would be a hot topic on Kindle...

      I have been selling my personal memoir (really was just a sporadic journal I kept for a few years) on Kindle for the past 16 months. The title seems to stir up controversy and attract buyers - "Sex, Drugs & Being an Escort"

      Monthly profits from this single title have ranged between $200-$500 consistently.
      That's pretty good Ashly! Thank you :-) People really want to know about other people's sex life, don't they? :-)
      Signature

      Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5785881].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ashloren
        Originally Posted by Guru_Marketing View Post

        That's pretty good Ashly! Thank you :-) People really want to know about other people's sex life, don't they? :-)
        Yes, they certainly do!

        While I didn't offer my eBook as a free download, I DID price it low at $1.99 for the first couple of months to generate some sales. After that, I bumped it up to $4.99 (which a friend of mine suggested).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5785988].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
          Originally Posted by ashloren View Post

          Yes, they certainly do!

          While I didn't offer my eBook as a free download, I DID price it low at $1.99 for the first couple of months to generate some sales. After that, I bumped it up to $4.99 (which a friend of mine suggested).
          Price testing is important. You do not set the price, but your buyers. If they stop buying it - means the price is not good for them :-)

          I usually do not change anything, if it works. Focus on creating more e-books like this :-) I see you just have one.

          Chris
          Signature

          Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5786659].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Dean Shainin
            I got this email below in quotes today and I know this is a bit off topic but I'm trying to find out what's happened and figured there must be a couple of Warriors that know. I could not get to the entire message... Maybe I'm supposed to pay to find out?


            "This is a VERY new and potentially serious
            development in the Kindle market (as of less
            than 24 hours ago everything changed)

            If you are a forum member I want you to
            know this before I make the info public.

            If you are guilty of doing this it could
            mean massive, sweeping changes in your
            publishing model..."
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5787251].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author batchos
              Yes, I got that email. Makes no sense sending it to me if I am not subscribed. But here's the latest news about Kindle and other digital publishers.

              Government Pressuring Publishers to Adjust Pricing Policy on E-Books - NYTimes.com

              Originally Posted by Dean Shainin View Post

              I got this email below in quotes today and I know this is a bit off topic but I'm trying to find out what's happened and figured there must be a couple of Warriors that know. I could not get to the entire message... Maybe I'm supposed to pay to find out?


              "This is a VERY new and potentially serious
              development in the Kindle market (as of less
              than 24 hours ago everything changed)

              If you are a forum member I want you to
              know this before I make the info public.

              If you are guilty of doing this it could
              mean massive, sweeping changes in your
              publishing model..."
              Signature
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5787635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Megan Duffy
    Edlewis is right -- free downloads don't equal money. I've heard of many people giving away thousands of free books, only to make 0 sales afterward.

    Recipe books get a LOT of free downloads, one of mine was the number 1 free kindle book for a couple of days. After it went back to paid, it made $2000 in one week. BUT, now it only makes a couple hundred a month. So the free promo only boosts sales temporarily, IMO.

    There are much better ways to promote your books, but they require more work than hitting the kindle select promotion button.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5968082].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chrisg942
      Glad to see there a few more people doing good in the kindle game. As far as what genre to write in, I do a little of everything fiction and non-fiction. I like to change it up so it doesn't get too boring writing.

      Now back to my latest book.

      Chris
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5968202].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author clove
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5968232].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author chrisg942
          Nice to hear Clove.

          I never say how much I'm making on my kindle book, but I can say I'm not working the 9-5 format anymore. I work when I want to Now.

          Chris
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5968270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StevenWatanabe
    I have got about 5 books up on KDP. The best one skyrocketed to #1 and is still #1 in 3 categories. The 1 day promo get over 20,000 downloads. After 4 days it got up to 50,000. This is when I put it up for sale. It is still outperforming all other books in my collection. This book however is not really selling well because of it being of poor quality. I had outsourced this one and threw it up for testing purposes. All i'm doing now is taking the negative feedback and tweaking my methods of producing ebooks... they are starting to look better!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5969967].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
      Originally Posted by SteveTanabe View Post

      I have got about 5 books up on KDP. The best one skyrocketed to #1 and is still #1 in 3 categories. The 1 day promo get over 20,000 downloads. After 4 days it got up to 50,000. This is when I put it up for sale. It is still outperforming all other books in my collection. This book however is not really selling well because of it being of poor quality. I had outsourced this one and threw it up for testing purposes. All i'm doing now is taking the negative feedback and tweaking my methods of producing ebooks... they are starting to look better!
      Extraordinary results! Have you gotten bad reviews? If the content is not good enough it will eventually stop selling.
      Signature

      Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5970038].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaggieDavid
    I have books on Kindle and I am doing well. I think you have to test and try niches. PLR books will not cut it Amazon will not publish them.

    It is up to the individual to find niches that they enjoy working and and get some QUALITY products up and test and try.

    Also If you open a Smashwords account and upload your book to that, they will distribute for you, not only to Kindle but other networks that sell ebooks, thus broadening your base.
    Signature

    To Your Success
    Maggie
    6StarMedia - Website Design, Business/Corporate Design, SEO, Copyrighting and Website Management Services Plus much more

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5969995].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
      Originally Posted by MaggieDavid View Post

      I have books on Kindle and I am doing well. I think you have to test and try niches. PLR books will not cut it Amazon will not publish them.

      It is up to the individual to find niches that they enjoy working and and get some QUALITY products up and test and try.

      Also If you open a Smashwords account and upload your book to that, they will distribute for you, not only to Kindle but other networks that sell ebooks, thus broadening your base.
      Exactly PLR is a waste of time. It used to work before, but now ... it's not worth it. Amazon got smarter and they search for duplicate content.

      Research -> Test -> See results

      I recently made a WSO on Kindle, check it out: http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...le-beyond.html

      I shared some of the pitfalls related to Kindle and what work for me!
      Signature

      Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5970059].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MJGottlieb
      Originally Posted by MaggieDavid View Post

      I have books on Kindle and I am doing well. I think you have to test and try niches. PLR books will not cut it Amazon will not publish them.

      It is up to the individual to find niches that they enjoy working and and get some QUALITY products up and test and try.

      Also If you open a Smashwords account and upload your book to that, they will distribute for you, not only to Kindle but other networks that sell ebooks, thus broadening your base.
      Hi Maggie,

      A few questions as I am new to the Kindle process. First, since u r selling on Smashwords, does that mean u r not using Kindle Select as, to my knowledge, Kindle Select won't allow u 2 publish on another platform. Also, did u do a promo first? From what I read that is restricted to Kindle Select as well but I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time!

      Also, I'm glad to hear u r doing well. If I can ask, what is the price point of the ebook u are selling and what constitutes 'doing well' 4 u as far as how many books u like to move of a title per month. I'm just trying to monetize this as my experience comes from running businesses and not selling books so I am trying to soak up as much info as I can from those like u who do have experience in this area. Thanx!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5974989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StevenWatanabe
    Ohh yeah, there were some bad reviews. It still is weird though, because I would have expected it to drop this past weekend, but it is still #1 in 3 categories. So I'm taking those reviews, modifying my work order templates, and having my staff write each new series according to the new "complaint" specifications... The bad reviews are the best because they tell you exactly how to improve your work!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5970046].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
      Good work!

      Bad reviews will shot you down if you do not do something about them. Comment on the bad reviews yourself and try to turn things around.

      Even if you improve the content the reviews would be still there. I tried creating a "revised version" of an e-book that had bad reviews and submitted it as a new e-book. Still the reviews appeared when the revised version was approved.

      So I find it helpful if I comment on the bad reviews with the mindset of "all right, I can't satisfy everyone, but if you do not like my e-book, it does not mean others will not like it as well." Depending on what they wrote, you can show that you care about creating better customer experience and you do not get offended for getting bad reviews.

      If you show confidence in your product, you'll comment back appropriately and sales won't stop. Sometimes people leave bad reviews, because they have woken up at the wrong side of the bed :-) It's human nature, so negative reviews are inevitable.

      Chris



      Originally Posted by SteveTanabe View Post

      Ohh yeah, there were some bad reviews. It still is weird though, because I would have expected it to drop this past weekend, but it is still #1 in 3 categories. So I'm taking those reviews, modifying my work order templates, and having my staff write each new series according to the new "complaint" specifications... The bad reviews are the best because they tell you exactly how to improve your work!
      Signature

      Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5970082].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Yogini
    I mentioned to a few of my lists that I have 2 99 cent kindle books and this gave me more orders. This helped to move them on page 1 of 2 categories and then that brought in more from amazon browsers. I think also filling out the author's page helps to develop trust.

    Debbie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5972815].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author colinph970
    personally I would not use Kindle Select - too many downsides and not enough upsides
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088191].message }}

Trending Topics