Alternatives To Scriptlance.com/Freelancer.com

26 replies
I had posted over 80 projects on Scriptlance.com and I was almost always amazed by the quality of workers I found on this site. It was really my go to place to get small projects done. It was especially good for programming projects. You probably know that Scriptlance.com was bought out by Freelancer.com. I have tried to post 2 projects on Freelancer.com and so far it has been a complete waste of time. For one job I could not get 1 qualified applicant. The main qualification was that they should be able to write a couple of sentences in English. The second just was basically a data entry deal. The job was never completed yet I was charged.

Does anybody have some good alternatives to the old Scriptlance.com which is no more? What are your favorite outsourcing sites and why? I am particularly looking for a place where I can post small data entry and programming projects. Thank you.
#alternatives #freelancer.com #scriptlance.com
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7127689].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kencalhn
      i used to use scriptlance as well; they were great. and having all the history of reviews, and escrow features was excellent. i miss the old scriptlance; that's the only programmer board I used to work with, to bid out projects.

      anyone use rentacoder.com or elance.com lately?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7127771].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adie
    Signature



    Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

    Signature edited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7127819].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author automaton
      Over the years I've worked over several freelance sites like Freelancer, Scriptlance and oDesk (in this chronological order) and I've settled down to oDesk because it's just much better than the rest.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7127994].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author problog
    You could try Elance; I've used it with success. Like you I was also very disappointed with Freelancer, the quality just wasn't there for my particular project. Plus customer service wasn't very helpful either.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7128015].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author celente
      Originally Posted by problog View Post

      You could try Elance; I've used it with success. Like you I was also very disappointed with Freelancer, the quality just wasn't there for my particular project. Plus customer service wasn't very helpful either.
      had massive success with elance myself. Its awesome, especially if you form relationships, and give people tests, keep the good works, and toss the rest to the curve.

      I also do videos as well, to help my works know exactly what I need done, takes a few minutes of my time, and i get better bang for my buck this way...meaning they do not guess, they know exactly what I want and can follow along with video and sound. I love outsourcing, have quadrupled my business since doing it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7131288].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author quickregister
        Originally Posted by celente View Post

        had massive success with elance myself. Its awesome, especially if you form relationships, and give people tests, keep the good works, and toss the rest to the curve.

        I also do videos as well, to help my works know exactly what I need done, takes a few minutes of my time, and i get better bang for my buck this way...meaning they do not guess, they know exactly what I want and can follow along with video and sound. I love outsourcing, have quadrupled my business since doing it
        Thank you for sharing your experiences with Elance. I will definitely check them out. Good idea on the videos. I have done this a few times myself. Having clear instructions is essential when hiring workers especially when English is not their first language.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7131462].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gpwilson
    I did also face this type of problem few month ago. I post a job for an article writer in oDesk. I got such a writer who was very effective to me. I liked his works. It was great. If you want then you may post your job in oDesk. Posting job in oDesk is free.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7128427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nate Harding
    I too was sad to hear scriptlance was changing hands. It seemed like a great, no-nonsense, and not as popular and overcrowded way to hire great freelancers.

    I'm hoping this has not changed since it was acquired...

    There are others, (guru.com, elance.com, odesk.com) but I'll always miss good ol SL.
    Signature
    Here's How I Make Money With Only One Hour Per Day! All My Secrets Revealed...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7128686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cferfland247
    Elance and oDesk is good alternative to Scriptlance.com/Freelancer.com.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7128709].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarketingMonk
    I would say go with elance or Odesk as I have had a good experience hiring people from there. Even I used to use Scriptlance a lot before it was taken over by Freelancer. Now the quality has just dropped and I have stopped using it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7131473].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maz1207
    Odesk is the best freelancers sites on the internet. They have a very good support and mostly reliable workers. I would stay away from freelancer.com since they doesn't have a good support.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7131591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Elle Davies
    Elance and Guru are my favourites! Got the most work on Elance though...
    Signature
    Need an Expert 'ENGLISH NATIVE' GhostWriter?
    I'm offering my personal services on Fiverr for $5,
    Click Here Now to reveal A* reviews left by others.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7134138].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author surfjam
      vWorker.com used to be a great alternative to freelancer.com, but sadly they sold out to the beast.

      I ended up here because I was searching for alternatives myself. I have used a few different workers there, but currently only had one project with one worker. I liked the timecards they provided the worker and the verification options I had.

      It seems like elance, odesk and guru get the most nods... does anyone know which have better tracking options?

      Are the fees all about the same?

      Thanks.
      Signature

      Michael Davis
      I'm Not Marvin

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7396569].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TeriWhiteheads
    I've always had much better experience hiring off the forums - you can find writers, coders, VAs, you name it. Unlike most of the freelancing sites, you can also get to chat live with them, which helps big time - true, there's no escrow, but you can always break down a project into smaller parts and send a few smaller payments as opposed to one big one
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7398378].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author surfjam
    I've done more research since posting and found that elance seems to have the lowest fees of the three I researched:

    elance - up to 8.75% (added to bid)
    odesk - just over 10% (added to bids so they can take 10% from total)
    guru - up to 11.95% (so difficult to find this it turned me off right away)

    I also did a simple quality survey by typing each site's name into the search box at ripoffreport.com:

    odesk - 22 Reports
    elance - 50 Reports
    guru - 145 Reports

    and just for fun and comparison to what I already know...

    freelancer - 116 Reports
    vWorker - 5 Reports

    As an employer, freelancer is the only one who charges me on top of what they charge the worker. They take funds from me when I deposit them, reducing my total available for projects. I also, though, want to find the best site for my worker, too, because he's working on a long-term project for me and I want him to be happy with the service I use too. I might feel different or use different criteria if I were going in needing a skilled worker.

    I would just pay him direct via PayPal but I am concerned about payroll obligations being that he is not a business. Also, even though he is from outside the U.S., he travels and is currently inside the U.S., which, according to my accountant, could make a difference if I just pay him directly.

    Anyway, I hope sharing this helps. Thanks for this forum!
    Signature

    Michael Davis
    I'm Not Marvin

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7398948].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Elsoft
      Originally Posted by surfjam View Post

      I've done more research since posting and found that elance seems to have the lowest fees of the three I researched:

      elance - up to 8.75% (added to bid)
      odesk - just over 10% (added to bids so they can take 10% from total)
      guru - up to 11.95% (so difficult to find this it turned me off right away)

      I also did a simple quality survey by typing each site's name into the search box at ripoffreport.com:

      odesk - 22 Reports
      elance - 50 Reports
      guru - 145 Reports

      and just for fun and comparison to what I already know...

      freelancer - 116 Reports
      vWorker - 5 Reports

      As an employer, freelancer is the only one who charges me on top of what they charge the worker. They take funds from me when I deposit them, reducing my total available for projects. I also, though, want to find the best site for my worker, too, because he's working on a long-term project for me and I want him to be happy with the service I use too. I might feel different or use different criteria if I were going in needing a skilled worker.

      I would just pay him direct via PayPal but I am concerned about payroll obligations being that he is not a business. Also, even though he is from outside the U.S., he travels and is currently inside the U.S., which, according to my accountant, could make a difference if I just pay him directly.

      Anyway, I hope sharing this helps. Thanks for this forum!
      Im a big fan of vworker. It was a bit disappointing that it had been acquired by freelancer. Personally, I dont like the way freelancer.com works.I, as a worker would prefer a site which provides me an escrow option and which has good support team. I think I may have to start afresh on Elance.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7399035].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author surfjam
        Originally Posted by Elsoft View Post

        Im a big fan of vworker. It was a bit disappointing that it had been acquired by freelancer. Personally, I dont like the way freelancer.com works.I, as a worker would prefer a site which provides me an escrow option and which has good support team. I think I may have to start afresh on Elance.
        It's pretty sad when you get a faster response from their Facebook page admin than their 140 person support team. (My experience with freelancer.com yesterday) :confused:
        Signature

        Michael Davis
        I'm Not Marvin

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7399162].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WeavingThoughts
    Elance and guru. The others don't come close.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7399616].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OutsourceFactor
    oDesk is definitely a good site and another one that is worth a try is Outsourcefactor.com. You'll find a lot of great VAs that have a variety of skills (like SEO writing and data entry) there but there are also some people that know programming. Maybe you could even find all the skills you need in one VA..

    Mea @ Outsource Factor
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7399693].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author willisk
    Odesk.com or Fiverr.com are some of my favorite outsourcing services.
    Signature
    Looking for smokin' HOT buyer traffic? Broadcast your special offer to over 40,000 of my highly responsive subscribers | Buyers list included

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7399878].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeyLightning
    oDesk is a good one. Elance is a good one as well. Hope this helps!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7399895].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jacofra
    blur Group is having a lot of success. Also, the average project value is much higher then freelancers.com or similars! blur Group - Reinventing Commerce – the Global Services Exchange
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8619483].message }}

Trending Topics