Aweber Confirmed Optin Problem

17 replies
Hi Warriors,

I created my funnel and set up an autoresponder list on aweber and then i turned off the Confirmed Optin.

I tested by signing up to my list and noticed that it still sends me confirmation email. i then went to Aweber and double checked if everything is ok. i re-tested by signing up with another email address, nothing chaged. Aweber sends confirmation email.

Has anyone else had this kinda problem? And what the best way to solve this issue?

Thanks
#aweber #confirmed #optin #problem
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    Have you tried contacting aweber? Besides, you should have double optin turned on. It minimizes future complaints.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7809354].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fatih bulut
    Nope, i havent contacted yet. Dont know how to contact though.

    i think it is best to keep it single optin because if someone enters their name and email, means that they are willing to be in my list and only by entering the correct info, they will be eligible to the gifts.

    And also many subscribers forget to confirm it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7809365].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author writeaway
      Originally Posted by fatih bulut View Post

      Nope, i havent contacted yet. Dont know how to contact though.

      i think it is best to keep it single optin because if someone enters their name and email, means that they are willing to be in my list and only by entering the correct info, they will be eligible to the gifts.

      And also many subscribers forget to confirm it.
      What if someone enters another person's email address in hopes of getting you into trouble? And don't think this doesn't exist. IM can be a dog eat dog world...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7810165].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by writeaway View Post

        What if someone enters another person's email address in hopes of getting you into trouble? And don't think this doesn't exist. IM can be a dog eat dog world...
        I don't get it. How would this get you into trouble?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7810179].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author davidkings
          Originally Posted by WillR View Post

          I don't get it. How would this get you into trouble?
          They would go to jail ! lol.

          Yes this happens sometimes when you do single opt-ins, but many people test it and think as you thought.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7810284].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author WillR
            Originally Posted by davidkings View Post

            They would go to jail ! lol.

            Yes this happens sometimes when you do single opt-ins, but many people test it and think as you thought.
            You should have an IP address record of every person who joins your list. In fact that's why Aweber will only let you use single optin on optin forms because you are getting an IP address of the user when they signup.

            So if any problems ever arose you have relevant information and records of that person subscribing, whether it was themselves or not.

            This would happen very rarely that it wouldn't even be a problem. People receive spam every day of the week, they would just ignore or delete it if it wasn't something they were expecting.

            If you are truly worried though you would then use double optin.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7810299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fatih bulut
    Btw, i have another list double optin turned off and it works perfectly. i dont know why this second one is not working,,
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7809366].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndrewStark
    https://www.aweber.com/contact-us.htm

    Have you done any customisation to the form? If you're not using the javascript then any changes you make within aweber won't show up on your form.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7809383].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fatih bulut
    This is a custom form..

    Here is the code:


    Code:
    <form method="post" action="http://www.aweber.com/scripts/addlead.pl" >
        <input type="hidden" name="meta_web_form_id" value="" />
        <input type="hidden" name="meta_split_id" value="" />
        <input type="hidden" name="listname" value="LIST NAME" />
        <input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="URL" id="" />
        <input type="hidden" name="meta_redirect_onlist" value="URL" />
        <input type="hidden" name="meta_adtracking" value="" />
        <input type="hidden" name="meta_message" value="1" />
        <input type="hidden" name="meta_required" value="name,email" />
        <input type="hidden" name="meta_forward_vars" value="1" />
        <input type="hidden" name="meta_tooltip" value="" />
        
        <input type="hidden" name="custom from" value='Fatih' />
        <input type="hidden" name="custom url" value='URL' />
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7809404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    Originally Posted by fatih bulut View Post

    Hi Warriors,

    I created my funnel and set up an autoresponder list on aweber and then i turned off the Confirmed Optin.

    I tested by signing up to my list and noticed that it still sends me confirmation email. i then went to Aweber and double checked if everything is ok. i re-tested by signing up with another email address, nothing chaged. Aweber sends confirmation email.

    Has anyone else had this kinda problem? And what the best way to solve this issue?

    Thanks
    If you try and sign up from your own IP addy or Aweber get too many requests from the same IP or from suspect email addresses (i.e. really short ones) then they send confirmation email to make sure it's not spam. Chances are everything is working fine and when your customers sign up they'll not have to confirm but you can get aweber (or a friend) to test it so you know for sure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7809626].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fatih bulut
      Originally Posted by RockingLastsForever View Post

      If you try and sign up from your own IP addy or Aweber get too many requests from the same IP or from suspect email addresses (i.e. really short ones) then they send confirmation email to make sure it's not spam. Chances are everything is working fine and when your customers sign up they'll not have to confirm but you can get aweber (or a friend) to test it so you know for sure.
      Thanks RockingLastsForever,

      It is exactly the way you point out. i got a friend to test it and it has worked for him.

      thank you
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7809710].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marc Rodill
      Originally Posted by RockingLastsForever View Post

      If you try and sign up from your own IP addy or Aweber get too many requests from the same IP or from suspect email addresses (i.e. really short ones) then they send confirmation email to make sure it's not spam. Chances are everything is working fine and when your customers sign up they'll not have to confirm but you can get aweber (or a friend) to test it so you know for sure.
      This is true. If you keep using your own email to sign up it flags you and then your email won't work to test the confirmed opt in. I experienced that a long time ago while testing as well.

      Test with a different email!

      Marc
      Signature
      Long Lost Warriors! The Secret Sales System! Act Now! Buy Now! Right Now!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8151270].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WillR
      Originally Posted by RockingLastsForever View Post

      If you try and sign up from your own IP addy or Aweber get too many requests from the same IP or from suspect email addresses (i.e. really short ones) then they send confirmation email to make sure it's not spam. Chances are everything is working fine and when your customers sign up they'll not have to confirm but you can get aweber (or a friend) to test it so you know for sure.
      This.

      Also some email addresses always have to confirm regardless of whether single or double optin is being used. Short email addresses, some free email addresses, etc.

      From what I understand you also can't turn single optin on if the list has already collected just one email address. Single optin must be selected before you start collecting any email addresses.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8151307].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    I think you'll find there is still a percentage of free email accounts that will default to double opt in with aweber.

    I once called them to query this and they gave me a very short answer that I understood to be...free email accounts like yahoo, gmail etc will still be sent a confirmation.


    .
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7809648].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mimiy2k
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      I think you'll find there is still a percentage of free email accounts that will default to double opt in with aweber.

      I once called them to query this and they gave me a very short answer that I understood to be...free email accounts like yahoo, gmail etc will still be sent a confirmation.


      .
      Actually, this isno t true despite what they told you. I turned off email confirmation and initially had the same problem of Aweber still sending the email confirmation. However, it turned out there was a conflict in my WordPress theme's CSS and with my Opt-in Pop AWeber plug-in. Once these were fixed, AWeber no longer sent confirmation emails to my opt-in signups.

      As I own an email list business, in my opinion the loss of subscribers from double opt-in is not worth it. If a person has just subscribed through your AWeber opt-in form, and what they are subscribing for is clearly stated, there is no more chance that they will remember opting in and not complaining because a few minutes later they again opt-in through an email confirmation link. The main purpose of double opt-in is to protect the sending platform (AWeber in this case) from getting too many SPAM complaints which leads to ISP blocking and downgrading of their server white listings.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8151246].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    Yes, even with single optin there will be certain email addresses that are always asked to confirm.

    They are any email address that only has 4 or less characters before the @ symbol. The same goes for multiple signups from the same IP address. So if you were testing the form a number of times yourself, because you kept signing up from the same IP address, you would have been asked to confirm.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7809893].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tyronne78
    Andrew makes a good point, the first thing I would check is whether you used an HTML form or a javascript one. Then go from there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7810361].message }}

Trending Topics