Here are a few things I have learnt:
1. (IMPORTANT) So long as your offer continues to make money, always keep bumping it. Some people will tell you they only bump their offer if they make back more than the $40 they spent before it drops to page 3 again. Wrong. You should have a backend funnel setup whereby every new customer you get to your offer should be worth way more to you than $40 over their lifetime. So don't focus on the front end sale, focus on what those customers will be worth to you over their lifetime. You should be in a position where only ONE new customer from each bump will more than pay for itself.
2. Always be changing things up. Just like we experience banner blindness on other sites, the Warrior Forum is no different. If someone has seen the title of your WSO thread 10 times and still hasn't clicked on it, chances are they never will. So why not periodically try changing your WSO thread title to appeal to a different audience.
Here's an example of one of my WSO titles:
[WSO OF THE DAY] 5,700+ Sold. 2236+ REAL Reviews. Mobile Business in a Box. Review Copies Available!!
Now let's say someone saw that thread and they were not interested in mobile. They would not click on that link. So every now and then I might change the thread title to appeal to those who might not be interested in mobile but are interested in starting a business. So my thread title might now look something like this:
[WSO OF THE DAY] 5,700+ Sold. 2236+ REAL Reviews. Your Very Own Business. Review Copies Available!!
(Notice all I have really done is removed the word mobile to appeal to a wider audience.)
3. Use proof elements in your thread titles where possible. With so many offers to compete against and the somewhat skeptical nature of our typical customer, the more proof you can provide the better. Notice in my thread title above I have used multiple proof elements. I have told people the offer got 'WSO of the Day', I have told people how many copies have sold, and I have also told them how many reviews we have received. All of these proof elements work together to give the offer more credibility and more social proof. But as with anything your proof elements MUST be real. If you lie to people they will smell it a mile away.
4. Don't bump your offer the moment you launch. The reason for this is that you will get a lot of window shoppers viewing your WSO thread and this will lower your EPC and conversion rates. These statistics are very important at launch time as many affiliates will use them to gauge whether or not an offer is worth promoting. What I like to do is to create a prelaunch thread a few days before your launch date and I always plan to have that thread sitting around page 3 or lower by launch time. That way I know I won't be getting much 'window shopping' traffic and will only mainly be getting traffic sent by my affiliates. After a few days when the initial launch period has died down, that is when I would start doing the manual bumping and concentrating more on the organic forum traffic.
5. Do keep SEO in mind. The Warrior Forum is one of the most highly trafficked forums on the Internet and any threads you create will be listed in the search engines within a matter of minutes. So don't forget to use some keywords in your thread title, the type of things people might be searching for when looking for a similar product. For this same reason you want to encourage people to interact with you in your WSO thread. Always ask people to come back and leave their honest feedback on your product since the more action in your thread, the more text there is for the search engines to index and the more chances for people to find that thread organically through the search engines. You also want to encourage comments so as new people come to your thread they will see recent comments as opposed to the last post being made weeks or even months ago. Nothing makes an offer feel more stale than the last post in the thread being dated a few weeks ago.
6. Don't worry so much about the day of the week or the time of the day you bump your offer. The reality is a LOT of the traffic hitting the WSO forum nowadays is affiliate driven. With several big launches happening most days of the week you have no control over what traffic will be arriving at the forum and when. So even if someone tells you 2pm on Thursday is a good time to bump your offer it's not to say someone else won't be launching near that time and take the attention away from your offer. You also have no way of knowing when others will bump their offers. You could bump your offer at 2pm on Thursday and have 8 other people do it right after you which means your offer drops down 8 places right away. So I learnt to never worry about the day of the week or time of day. Just bump it when you want and do it on all sorts of days and different times. That way you are hitting a different audience everytime. I usually just bump my most popular offers when they hit page 3, regardless of when that is.
7. Look for similar offers that you can use to your advantage. There are a few WSO offers that are close to mine in both popularity and theme. So what I will often do is bump my offer right after they bump theirs so my WSO thread title sits just above their WSO thread title. This uses the same psychology as giving people different price options. It's very hard for people to gauge the value of something when it sits by itself because they have nothing to compare it against. But give them a second option to choose from and right away they can now more easily decide which offer presents the best value. So if you do use this technique make sure your offer is superior to the other. If using this technique you might also want to change your WSO thread title so that it is similar to the offer you are sitting next to but sounds superior so it is the obvious choice for people to click on.
Again, these are just a few observations I have made over the last few years of bumping my many WSO offers. I have not split tested most of this stuff since it is very hard to do on the WSO forum but I am sure you will see that most of the points mentioned above do make perfect sense and the reasoning behind them is very logical. Bump hard and bump often.
I hope this helps.