Should I Start Teaching MMO?

27 replies
Alright folks, so I've been in the game for almost 3 years now.

I'm no-where NEAR where I want to be, but I'm able to just-about support myself living in greater london.

I never wanted to start out teaching people how to make money online, because I wanted to first be an expert in the field myself. Ideally, I wouldn't start now, but here's my situation...

I HATE the niche I'm currently making money in. I have no passion for it, and I really don't like my customers, who are generally poor, skeptical and unwilling to spend any money.

If I really get into it, I can expand into this niche and still make a lot of money from it. But I have this huge resistance to creating anything new in this niche, simply because I don't enjoy it.

I have no passion in any other proven niches like golf, pet-training, gardening, fishing, etc. I'd really like to get into travel, but I haven't traveled enough to be teaching anyone anything.

The only proven niche I know anything about, and am passionate about is making money online.

I'm not asking for permission, just your opinion: is it cool for a guy who is just able to get by, to start teaching MMO?
#mmo #start #teaching
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

    I HATE the niche I'm currently making money in. I have no passion for it, and I really don't like my customers, who are generally poor, skeptical and unwilling to spend any money.
    That's undoubtedly a good and valid reason for a major shift in emphasis.

    For me, it would be absolutely the last possible reason to be thinking about any MMO niches, in which I'd expect most (admittedly not all) of those problems to be considerably worse. It would be one of the markets whose niches I'd be particularly anxious to avoid.

    Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

    I'm not asking for permission, just your opinion: is it cool for a guy who is just able to get by, to start teaching MMO?
    Just about getting by, supporting yourself living in the London area, will probably put you - in income terms - in the top 1% of people "teaching MMO" (and maybe even in the top 0.5% of them), so I wouldn't worry at all about whether it's cool from the perspective of "earning enough for it to be acceptable". It is. That isn't the problem at all. Just my perspective, Snowy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179278].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Venturetothetop
      So agree with Alexa, if you are making enough to sustain London life, then you are doing way better then most who claim to be experts.

      I'm sure you have a lot to give, my only advice is to be honest with your audience that you have made money but are on your way to much more. I remember Pat Flynn started out that way too and now look at him...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179283].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Taniwha
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      For me, it would be absolutely the last possible reason to be thinking about any MMO niches, in which I'd expect most (admittedly not all) of those problems to be considerably worse. It would be one of the markets whose niches I'd be particularly anxious to avoid.
      But with all the information you have given out on this forum (article syndication, blogging, list building, being a clickbank affiliate), you could easily compile it, put it in an easy to follow course, then add a link in your signature.

      The only way reason to be anxious, in my opinion, is refunds. Which are in them self pretty easy to deal with.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8186590].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salegurus
    Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

    I'm not asking for permission, just your opinion: is it cool for a guy who is just able to get by, to start teaching MMO?
    There are people "teaching" others how to make money online who themselves don't even make enough to cover expenses.
    So, i don't think you would have a problem seeing that you make enough to live in one of the most expensive cities on the planet...

    PS! You have my permission...
    Signature
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

    ― George Carlin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179293].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Snow_Predator
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      For me, it would be absolutely the last possible reason to be thinking about any MMO niches, in which I'd expect most (admittedly not all) of those problems to be considerably worse.
      lol, valid point.

      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Just about getting by, supporting yourself living in the London area, will probably put you - in income terms - in the top 1% of people "teaching MMO" (and maybe even in the top 0.5% of them), so I wouldn't worry at all about whether it's cool from the perspective of "earning enough for it to be acceptable". It is. That isn't the problem at all. Just my perspective, Snowy.
      Thanks

      Originally Posted by salegurus View Post

      PS! You have my permission...
      Hey, who asked for your permission? o_O
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179300].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

    I HATE the niche I'm currently making money in. I have no passion for it, and I really don't like my customers, who are generally poor, skeptical and unwilling to spend any money.
    This is exactly the reason why I, and many others here always advise to get involved in a niche where you have passion, knowledge, or both.

    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post8107875
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179298].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Snow_Predator
      Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

      This is exactly the reason why I, and many others here always advise to get involved in a niche where you have passion, knowledge, or both.

      http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post8107875
      Lol I checked out your post, really made me laugh because, unfortunately, I have done that 3 times over three years! Only difference being I took the time to educate myself and learn enough to be able to teach people decent quality stuff, AND make some money. Only problem was I freagin' hated every single niche. Time for a change.

      No more desperate niches, only hobbies and fun stuff that I enjoy teaching.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179312].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    How does London compare to Sydney? Because it's fricken ridiculously expensive here.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179315].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RockNRolla
    If you are already making money online in another niche, then I would say that at least qualifies you to teach people how you did that and what methods you used. As long as you are teaching people about things you actually know work, and can provide them value, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

    I HATE the niche I'm currently making money in. I have no passion for it, and I really don't like my customers, who are generally poor, skeptical and unwilling to spend any money.
    This is your major snag. And it's not so much the niche as it is in your thinking. In the past I was very easy to notice the downside of many things. And your dominant thinking will dictate your results to a very large degree. In other words, you get what you expect. The niche might have some influence on your experiences but until you change your outlook you're going to find skeptical, poor people in all niches.

    It was tough for me to get past this but I made a conscious effort to look for the good in all situations. It's all about awareness. If I noticed I was getting internally (or outwardly) bitchy about something I immediately changed my thinking. Eventually I eliminated thinking related to certain stuff and managed to change and see some very encouraging results. I still become cranky about some things but, like before, I just use my will to change it immediately. It's a work in progress but much easier now with the trend I've managed to create. Now I see far more bridges than walls.

    As for the niche, MMO is fine if you enjoy it. If I still have ghosts of the downside floating around they're very likely to be related to MMO. MMO is the gateway, the entry level for many, many people. And they come to the game with lots of weird ideas about how things work. The upside is that there is lots of money to be made in MMO. Some will say it's easy money but I feel you'll definitely earn it dealing with the many myths people buy into. You'll be constantly working to steer people away from quick hit (often gray or black hat) tactics to building a sustainable business. I say go for it. Good luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179361].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Snow_Predator
      Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      This is your major snag. And it's not so much the niche as it is in your thinking. In the past I was very easy to notice the downside of many things. And your dominant thinking will dictate your results to a very large degree. In other words, you get what you expect. The niche might have some influence on your experiences but until you change your outlook you're going to find skeptical, poor people in all niches.

      It was tough for me to get past this but I made a conscious effort to look for the good in all situations. It's all about awareness. If I noticed I was getting internally (or outwardly) bitchy about something I immediately changed my thinking. Eventually I eliminated thinking related to certain stuff and managed to change and see some very encouraging results. I still become cranky about some things but, like before, I just use my will to change it immediately. It's a work in progress but much easier now with the trend I've managed to create. Now I see far more bridges than walls.
      That's a very interesting perspective travlinguy, thanks. I do understand what you are getting at. We do by nature, like to blame things outside of ourselves, and when things aren't going well, we'll pick something in our niche to complain about.

      But really, the niche I'm in, does objectively cater to mostly poor pathetic losers with no money. Plus it's not something anyone could get passionate about.

      I will keep your advice in mind for my next niche though.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179427].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
        Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post


        But really, the niche I'm in, does objectively cater to mostly poor pathetic losers with no money. Plus it's not something anyone could get passionate about.
        LOL. What the heck made you want to play in the mud?

        Here's the thing. People like you describe are in every market. Take gamers for example. There's the low end that can't afford a Coke and then there are the rich kids who have all kinds of toys like cars and electronics and freakin' servants even.

        There's self help. By its very nature there will be people like those you describe there, the beginners looking for a better life. There's MMO, work from home, affiliate marketers... The list is endless. They all have low end players. Just decide you ain't playin' wit dem kids no mo.

        My point is that you acknowledge there are a wide range of people in all markets and that you are going to only deal with the ones that can afford to play. This was a major breakthrough for me.

        This is also what people coming here wondering why they can't sell their services (writing, web design, etc.) for more than chump change need to do. Declare yourself in to a better game and stay until it works.

        Start getting that in your head right away. Try this: "Today I interact with only those who are serious about their business and willing to invest time and other resources, including cash, in learning what I have to teach."

        Pin that up where you can see it while you're working and when you begin to drift into the old thinking, just smile and stay the course.

        Do that and just watch the change that comes over your business and life.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179468].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Curtis2011
        Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

        But really, the niche I'm in, does objectively cater to mostly poor pathetic losers with no money.
        As a general rule of thumb, trying to sell anything to people with no money is a bad idea.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179721].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dustin Blevins
    If you have a successful gameplan why don't you get people in the area that need a job and have them do what you do and pay them to do it. Say you are making 30k / year. You can then give them the plan and pay them 20k / year. Each person you have doing this makes you 10k/year.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179479].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

      I HATE the niche I'm currently making money in. I have no passion for it, and I really don't like my customers, who are generally poor, skeptical and unwilling to spend any money.
      Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

      But really, the niche I'm in, does objectively cater to mostly poor pathetic losers with no money. Plus it's not something anyone could get passionate about.
      Yet you want to play in the MMO game. I'm not as big on the Law of Attraction as I used to be, but in this case, I'm guessing that if you went into MMO, you'd find a way to connect with poor, pathetic losers with no money, and are generally skeptical and unwilling to spend what money they do have.

      The Answer? This:

      Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      LOL. What the heck made you want to play in the mud?

      Here's the thing. People like you describe are in every market. Take gamers for example. There's the low end that can't afford a Coke and then there are the rich kids who have all kinds of toys like cars and electronics and freakin' servants even.

      There's self help. By its very nature there will be people like those you describe there, the beginners looking for a better life. There's MMO, work from home, affiliate marketers... The list is endless. They all have low end players. Just decide you ain't playin' wit dem kids no mo.

      My point is that you acknowledge there are a wide range of people in all markets and that you are going to only deal with the ones that can afford to play. This was a major breakthrough for me.

      This is also what people coming here wondering why they can't sell their services (writing, web design, etc.) for more than chump change need to do. Declare yourself in to a better game and stay until it works.

      Start getting that in your head right away. Try this: "Today I interact with only those who are serious about their business and willing to invest time and other resources, including cash, in learning what I have to teach."

      Pin that up where you can see it while you're working and when you begin to drift into the old thinking, just smile and stay the course.

      Do that and just watch the change that comes over your business and life.
      Add me to the list of people who turned the corner when they decided to serve markets that could willingly pay for value received.

      Take the 'fishing niche', since you brought it up. Who would you rather market to?

      > The dirt poor angler fishing for the table using a spool of bargain-bin line, cheap hooks and scrap metal for weight, all wrapped around an old 2-litre soda jug or

      > The well-heeled hobbyist paying a guide $100/hour to take him fishing, using his $1,000 fly combo and $8 hand-tied flies, chasing a fish he'll use a $500 camera to take a picture of before releasing it. Maybe one who makes such trips several times per year, and fills in the rest of his time on his own boat, docked in front of his waterfront home.

      I know which choice I made, and it made a heck of a difference.

      For almost any niche, from food to adult entertainment and companionship , you'll find purveyors catering to the lowest end and those catering to the highest end. Same basic service, different measures of value and vastly different price points...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179701].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aarthielumalai
    Well, most of the buyers in the IM niche are looking to support themselves by making money online, and I’m sure the fact that you are already doing that, especially in London (!) is a big plus point on your side.

    My advice: Don’t over hype anything, and don’t make any claims you can’t follow up on, and you’d be just fine. Look at the WSO sellers in this forum. They’re making a ton of money by selling measly $5 reports, and I’m sure a good portion of them are lying about a lot of things, including the workability of their method, so customers would welcome a honest seller who really has done what he’s teaching.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8186483].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sirtiman
    You can do it. Just start doing it. Don't let your passion down because of the not support comment here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8186523].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    You can teach in MMO if you are making a consistent income. Just be honest in your marketing though. Personally I would probably look for someone to teach me who was doing better than just paying the bills just because I would have much higher hopes. But that's just me.

    The thinking is we very rarely are able to replicate exactly the success of the person teaching us. So if I am to be coached by someone who is only just paying the bills and supporting their lifestyle, if I was to only replicate some of your success then it leaves me short of being able to support my own lifestyle.

    On the other hand if I get taught by someone who is making multiple 6 figures per year and I only replicate a proportion of that success then I will still be doing very well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8186682].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Holmes
    Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

    I'm not asking for permission, just your opinion: is it cool for a guy who is just able to get by, to start teaching MMO?
    This is really simple... there are very few arenas where teachers are presumed to be better than students...

    The boxing coach would be slaughtered by most of his students.

    The College physics teacher couldn't get a job as a researcher - which his students could easily accomplish.

    And so on...

    The only real question is - do you have knowledge that others don't have - that they want?

    Or that you can convince them that they want?

    Certainly it's easier to sell products in the MMO niche if you can honestly point to great results... but it's not a necessity. I don't expect someone that I learn from to be doing better than I intend to do - I expect them to know something that they can help me with that will allow me to accomplish my goals.

    That someone is provably competent in doing MMO is something that - online; is quite difficult to accurately determine.

    At least that's my two cents worth...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8187189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gcbmark20
    Hi Snow Predator!

    Do you think that if you built a list that offered a FREE gift
    that showed people how to make $100 a day they wouldn't
    appreciate it?

    London is the most expensive place to live certainly in the UK
    anyway.

    So if you are able to show people how to make a small fraction of
    that income using your FREE offer then you can simply offer a PAID
    version UPGRADE to that original free one that shows them how to go
    at least full time and quit their jobs etc etc.

    Don't sit on this my friend.

    If you are making a living from what you are doing then you have
    something of EXTREME VALUE that you can share with others.

    Build your list my friend & start sharing your thoughts, experiences,
    opinions, ideas and so on.

    All the best
    Gavin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8187216].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ronrule
    Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

    I'm not asking for permission, just your opinion: is it cool for a guy who is just able to get by, to start teaching MMO?
    Would you pay for guitar lessons from someone who only knew how to play one song?

    No, it's not cool at all. Makes you look like every other fraud out there... like the guys who secretly work a full time job for some employer, but then doesn't mention it and attributes their income and lifestyle to IM so they can sell "coaching" services on the side.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8187271].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WillR
      Originally Posted by ronrule View Post

      Would you pay for guitar lessons from someone who only knew how to play one song?

      No, it's not cool at all. Makes you look like every other fraud out there... like the guys who secretly work a full time job for some employer, but then doesn't mention it and attributes their income and lifestyle to IM so they can sell "coaching" services on the side.
      I agree and disagree.

      If I only wanted to learn that one song then yes, I wouldn't mind being taught by that person. But as I said above you should be reaching for the stars and thus the people you are trying to replicate should be way ahead of you so that if you only replicate a proportion of their success it still makes you very successful.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8188882].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gary Ning Lo
    Find something that works.. Anything related to MMO..

    Then test, test, test until you master it and make consistent profit.

    Then write a course on the method and sell it..

    Rinse & repeat.

    Cheers,

    Gary
    Signature
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8187523].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pingsters
    Banned
    Congratulations for the idea!
    You have been in MMO for three years now,so i believe you have enough experience to start teaching people on the same.
    Just go for it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8188036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bluecoyotemedia
    snow predator

    you might as well jump in and sell make money online

    usually the people that cannot make money go ahead and teach other people how to make money and they become gurus lol

    let me know when you launch so I can be an affiliate lol


    Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

    Alright folks, so I've been in the game for almost 3 years now.

    I'm no-where NEAR where I want to be, but I'm able to just-about support myself living in greater london.

    I never wanted to start out teaching people how to make money online, because I wanted to first be an expert in the field myself. Ideally, I wouldn't start now, but here's my situation...

    I HATE the niche I'm currently making money in. I have no passion for it, and I really don't like my customers, who are generally poor, skeptical and unwilling to spend any money.

    If I really get into it, I can expand into this niche and still make a lot of money from it. But I have this huge resistance to creating anything new in this niche, simply because I don't enjoy it.

    I have no passion in any other proven niches like golf, pet-training, gardening, fishing, etc. I'd really like to get into travel, but I haven't traveled enough to be teaching anyone anything.

    The only proven niche I know anything about, and am passionate about is making money online.

    I'm not asking for permission, just your opinion: is it cool for a guy who is just able to get by, to start teaching MMO?
    Signature

    Skunkworks: noun. informal.

    A clandestine group operating without any external intervention or oversight. Such groups achieve significant breakthroughs rarely discussed in public because they operate "outside the box".
    https://short-stuff.com/-Mjk0fDExOA==

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8188087].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Mensah
    Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

    Alright folks, so I've been in the game for almost 3 years now.

    I'm no-where NEAR where I want to be, but I'm able to just-about support myself living in greater london.

    I never wanted to start out teaching people how to make money online, because I wanted to first be an expert in the field myself. Ideally, I wouldn't start now, but here's my situation...

    I HATE the niche I'm currently making money in. I have no passion for it, and I really don't like my customers, who are generally poor, skeptical and unwilling to spend any money.

    If I really get into it, I can expand into this niche and still make a lot of money from it. But I have this huge resistance to creating anything new in this niche, simply because I don't enjoy it.

    I have no passion in any other proven niches like golf, pet-training, gardening, fishing, etc. I'd really like to get into travel, but I haven't traveled enough to be teaching anyone anything.

    The only proven niche I know anything about, and am passionate about is making money online.

    I'm not asking for permission, just your opinion: is it cool for a guy who is just able to get by, to start teaching MMO?

    Yeah for sure its cool for you to teach what you know in MMO. Just teach that though, dont try to teach what you dont know, rather show other newbie IMer's what you know and im sure you will do great.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8188927].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
    Here's my thoughts....

    1. In any market you target... first think of a large group of people that are looking to solve problems.

    Too many marketers fail because they sell what they WANT to sell... not what the people want to buy.

    so to find the best markets... find the largest groups of people with problems they want solved.

    then, make sure they have money to invest... and also make sure they are actively looking for solutions.

    you don't want to create a product in a market where no one buys... because either they don't care enough to change... or they have no money.

    and finally, yes, it is important to have some passion or interest in the subject... because there will be some lean times to get it all started... so passion can often push you over the hump.

    But I speak to hundreds of internet marketers a year who are OUT of business the next year because they created stuff that THEY wanted... not what could help a large group of other people out.

    So, to answer the OPs question... if you can help a group of people who have problems they want solved... then you could enter the niche/market.

    But remember... you're going up against some heavy hitters in the MMO niche.

    Thankfully, most in the niche make little to no money... but you still have to be
    unique/better/different than the rest.

    So, what would you focus on that makes you unique in this niche? how could you separate yourself? what would you offer different than the rest in this niche?

    In my opinion, you'd be better off focusing on a VERY tight and focused part of
    this niche... and try to win there. Work the fringes instead of just the MMO niche.

    How about teaching students how to create a nice part time online income that helps
    with school?

    or teach the older generation how to make a passive part time income.

    or how about focusing on a certain industry like fitness, personal trainers, etc...

    Bottom line, don't try to be generic and an "all things to all people"... try to be very unique and different... and become known for something special in this industry.

    that's how you'll win these days... especially when competition can be cut throat!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8188932].message }}

Trending Topics