Managing Spam Comments without Captcha code

9 replies
Hi,

I am looking for some good options for protecting a new (under construction website) from human spammers and computer spammers in the comments section of a wordpress site.

We have sites using the captcha code however we would prefer not to use it to make it an easier user experience. It also requires manual approving and marking as spam which is time consuming to read given the amount of spam the site attracts.

After some research I have found a few listed below to consider. I would love to hear your experience, success or failure stories to help my decision making because a "web spam" search recovered 179 plugins for Wordpress!

The balance I look for is (1) automation from an admin perspective, (2) easy for the user and (3) it lets through above 95% of legitimate comments.

In my shortlist after some research includes:
- Akismet
- AntiSpam Bee
- Growmap
- Ghost Captcha
- Stop Spammers
- Bad Behaviour
- Disqus (I like the Facebook and Google+ integration)
- or a combination of the above ie. Akismet and AntiSpam Bee installed together.

Appreciate your feedback.
#captcha #code #comments #managing #spam #web spam
  • Profile picture of the author competent123
    the best option is to let people do it.
    30 seconds of goggling gave me this.

    WordPress › Safe Report Comments « WordPress Plugins

    site visitors can report spam comments, after a thresh hold is reported, comment is hidden and put to moderation queue.

    that way you dont' have to do anything, and even the most creative spammers will be caught.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8245222].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 1Matthew
      Originally Posted by competent123 View Post

      the best option is to let people do it.
      30 seconds of goggling gave me this.

      WordPress › Safe Report Comments « WordPress Plugins

      site visitors can report spam comments, after a thresh hold is reported, comment is hidden and put to moderation queue.

      that way you dont' have to do anything, and even the most creative spammers will be caught.
      Thanks, I didn't think of this feature.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8245753].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author StuartMcMinigal
      Originally Posted by competent123 View Post

      the best option is to let people do it.
      30 seconds of goggling gave me this.

      WordPress › Safe Report Comments « WordPress Plugins

      site visitors can report spam comments, after a thresh hold is reported, comment is hidden and put to moderation queue.

      that way you dont' have to do anything, and even the most creative spammers will be caught.
      You would need to have a good blog following and some loyal users for this to work however.
      Signature
      Digital Content and Social PR Consultant
      Freelance Writer | Freelance Blogger | Freelance Social Media Strategist & Manager
      My Services | My Blog | My Portfolio | My Samples
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8245789].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author competent123
        Originally Posted by StuartMcMinigal View Post

        You would need to have a good blog following and some loyal users for this to work however.
        i dont' think so, because you need some visitors to your post only to a couple to click report button.

        if your site is not good enough to get 20 or so users to your post, then dont' bother about spamming too much for now, concentrate on getting good enough content that people would actually want to spam , akisment is enough for viagra type ads.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8295067].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vimmaniac
    Originally Posted by 1Matthew View Post

    Hi,

    I am looking for some good options for protecting a new (under construction website) from human spammers and computer spammers in the comments section of a wordpress site.

    We have sites using the captcha code however we would prefer not to use it to make it an easier user experience. It also requires manual approving and marking as spam which is time consuming to read given the amount of spam the site attracts.

    After some research I have found a few listed below to consider. I would love to hear your experience, success or failure stories to help my decision making because a "web spam" search recovered 179 plugins for Wordpress!

    The balance I look for is (1) automation from an admin perspective, (2) easy for the user and (3) it lets through above 95% of legitimate comments.

    In my shortlist after some research includes:
    - Akismet
    - AntiSpam Bee
    - Growmap
    - Ghost Captcha
    - Stop Spammers
    - Bad Behaviour
    - Disqus (I like the Facebook and Google+ integration)
    - or a combination of the above ie. Akismet and AntiSpam Bee installed together.

    Appreciate your feedback.
    Akismet and Disqus will be your best option. Couple that with cloudflare, and you will get zero spam.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8245247].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 1Matthew
      Originally Posted by vimmaniac View Post

      Akismet and Disqus will be your best option. Couple that with cloudflare, and you will get zero spam.
      Thanks vimmaniac, I will check out cloudfare service. I like Disqus however I don't know how those comments get backed up. That is, are those comments on my site held in my database or on a Disqus server. Following from that how do I back up the comments just in case I need to recover my site.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8245769].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8245813].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 1Matthew
      Originally Posted by Nytshade View Post

      I tried a few times, sorry I don't think your link works.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8288865].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Myles Sinclair
        Originally Posted by 1Matthew View Post

        I tried a few times, sorry I don't think your link works.
        The link is working. Try it again. If you still can't bring up the page, try viewing through a proxy.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8289188].message }}

Trending Topics