Key Disciplines To Be a Successful Internet Marketer

22 replies
Hello,

I have read a lot of valuable posts from experienced IMs on this forum.

I wanted to understand the key Personal and Technical skills required to make a sustainable progress in the world of Internet Marketing.

Any tips?

Himani
#disciplines #internet #key #marketer #personal #progress #successful #technical skilss
  • Profile picture of the author Lance K
    Finding a hungry market and offer them what they want. Then get good at generating traffic & optimizing conversions.
    Signature
    "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
    ~ Zig Ziglar
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joaquin112
    The #1 attribute of a successful IMer is persistence.

    It's important to know web design / development for any IMer. However, my top technical skill would be the ability to turn marketing money into profit. If you can generate money via marketing (such as PPC), you can make tons of money very fast.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324203].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      Another personal skill that comes in handy is discernment, i.e. the ability to quickly judge the worth or value of something that you're buying, selling, or using. Part of discernment is good judgement, part of it is being wise and educated, and a part is being aware of customer's wants.

      The best to you,

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324222].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author fatafat
        Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

        Another personal skill that comes in handy is discernment, i.e. the ability to quickly judge the worth or value of something that you're buying, selling, or using. Part of discernment is good judgement, part of it is being wise and educated, and a part is being aware of customer's wants.

        The best to you,

        Steve
        Steve, Thanks for your views. I will start another thread to discuss how to be aware of customers wants but Discernment is something that I need to start building on...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8326647].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author anla88
    Wuestion for you guys. I am trying to start up my online business and the name of the game in the start is to build your email list. I want to do free safelists because my budget is kind of tight and once I get enough money go on to the paid solo ads. do you know any good free solo lists that could help build my email list fast?
    Signature

    No affiliate links in signatures, please.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324213].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      Originally Posted by anla88 View Post

      Wuestion for you guys . . .
      Anla88,

      Thread hijacking is never a good thing. What does your question have to do with what is being talked about here? It belongs elsewhere please.

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324232].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeremiah2911
    Joaquin112 and Steve B both hit the nail squarely on the head....Determination and Discernment.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324236].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
    Honesty and transparency.

    It is not necessary for an Imer to have any technical skills because you can and many do outsource everything technical. Same applies to people with technical skills, yet outsource the marketing. Be you a IMer only or a tech only it is important to align yourself with honest and transparent people.

    Jeffery 100% :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324260].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jonzathe
    Intelligence and out of the box thinking.
    Signature
    15 DOFOLLOW PR9 BACKLINKS FOR ONLY $25
    800 SOCIAL BACKLINKS + PING FOR ONLY $25
    20,000 SCRAPEBOX BLOG BACKLINKS FOR ONLY $25
    50 PRIVATE NETWORK BLOG POSTS FOR ONLY $25
    http://www.jonathanzarra.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324262].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Johnny12345
    Himani,

    In truth, there are a lot of elements involved in being successful online.

    However, if I had to chose the two most important ones, I would say:

    1) Be ethical. There are too many "scammers" online. The world doesn't need any more of them. Separate yourself from the pack by being honest.

    2) Split test everything. This is where most beginners go wrong. They try something, it fails... and they give up. Split testing is what separates winners from losers.

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324324].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fatafat
      Originally Posted by Johnny12345 View Post

      Himani,

      In truth, there are a lot of elements involved in being successful online.

      However, if I had to chose the two most important ones, I would say:

      1) Be ethical. There are too many "scammers" online. The world doesn't need any more of them. Separate yourself from the pack by being honest.

      2) Split test everything. This is where most beginners go wrong. They try something, it fails... and they give up. Split testing is what separates winners from losers.

      John

      John, agree with your assessment, Ethics for me both personal and technical. Split test is an interesting suggestion to be your top 2....will make note of it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8326658].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brannigans
    Definitely persistence. I'm pretty sure that so many marketers give up just before they were successful. I know that's what I did the first time round...

    Also, have fun with it. If youdon't enjoy it you'll soon burn out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324409].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    The ability to contact people is one of the keys.

    You can have every positive trait in the world, but if nobody sees you (ie: your target audience), you're doomed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324421].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gengis
    1. The ability to be able to Focus on a given project without distractions like facebook, emails, cellphones, people interrupting you, youtube or anything else that will take you away from your internet marketing project at that given time..

    2. The ability to look past all the B.S. out there when it comes to making money like the push button type deals, because there is No Such Thing..

    3. The Ability to stop focusing on instant gratification and treating this like a real long term business that can provide all the comforts and more than a typical brick and mortar business..Focusing on long term and leaving a Legacy for your family..

    4. Focusing on 1 project at a time because as you already know doing 15 projects at once does not work..

    These are just a few
    Signature
    My Craigslist Arbitrage Method Of Making Money On Demand -->

    http://www.warriorplus.com/w/v/f2fwlp
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324523].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fatafat
      Originally Posted by Gengis View Post

      1. The ability to be able to Focus on a given project without distractions like facebook, emails, cellphones, people interrupting you, youtube or anything else that will take you away from your internet marketing project at that given time..

      2. The ability to look past all the B.S. out there when it comes to making money like the push button type deals, because there is No Such Thing..

      3. The Ability to stop focusing on instant gratification and treating this like a real long term business that can provide all the comforts and more than a typical brick and mortar business..Focusing on long term and leaving a Legacy for your family..

      4. Focusing on 1 project at a time because as you already know doing 15 projects at once does not work..

      These are just a few
      Gengis, valuable advice...thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8326661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blarbie
    Himani,

    I have been doing online marketing since 1999, Google was a year old at the time.

    Your main ingredient:

    5 years back I would have said
    persistence

    Today I would say
    Tenacity

    A few other things won't hurt

    * time to / read / apply / study results
    “the best way to acquire knowledge”

    * knack for analytics
    learning from your data to become more efficient

    * become effective
    you have to design your (money making modules) with the ability to scale

    * insight
    SEO SEM change rapidly what works today wont work in 120 days or less
    Learn the patterns of the changes so you can be ahead of the game

    * independence
    If your financially sound, then you wont have to take a job at starbucks to
    keep the lights on, thus more time for IM
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324605].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fatafat
      Originally Posted by Blane Perun View Post

      Himani,

      I have been doing online marketing since 1999, Google was a year old at the time.

      Your main ingredient:

      5 years back I would have said
      persistence

      Today I would say
      Tenacity

      A few other things won't hurt

      * time to / read / apply / study results
      "the best way to acquire knowledge"

      * knack for analytics
      learning from your data to become more efficient

      * become effective
      you have to design your (money making modules) with the ability to scale

      * insight
      SEO SEM change rapidly what works today wont work in 120 days or less
      Learn the patterns of the changes so you can be ahead of the game

      * independence
      If your financially sound, then you wont have to take a job at starbucks to
      keep the lights on, thus more time for IM
      Blane, thank you, designing own modules is an interesting one never thought of it as a marketer i could also be a product owner....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8326675].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author twinkenterprises
    Good skills to have are being persuasive and a good writer. You also need to have a mindset of always learning.
    Signature

    Check out my blog and get a free gift!!

    Fly with Jaebek Lifestyle

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324790].message }}
  • The formula to IM success has always being:

    IM Success = Traffic * front-end conversion * back-end monetization

    - Traffic = skills in traffic generation, affiliate recruiting, etc.
    - Front-end conversion = skills in copy-writing, split testing, analytics, etc.
    - Back-end monetization = skills in joint-venture networking, upselling, funnel optimization, etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8326678].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fatafat
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      The formula to IM success has always being:

      IM Success = Traffic * front-end conversion * back-end monetization

      - Traffic = skills in traffic generation, affiliate recruiting, etc.
      - Front-end conversion = skills in copy-writing, split testing, analytics, etc.
      - Back-end monetization = skills in joint-venture networking, upselling, funnel optimization, etc.
      Thanks, very mathematical and to the point!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8326685].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Abul-Hussain
    When you start a project see it through to the end. Never abandon something at less than 100%, only to jump onto another opportunity.

    Success is often found by following through with one last push, before deciding to move on.

    Prioritise your time to focus on activities that will generate revenue - everything else is superficial.

    If in doubt, ask others for help. Two or more brains combined create a hub of creativity that cannot be accomplished on ones own.

    Making money online is algebra. Learn the basic formulas as they apply universally to all niches.

    Treat this like a business. If you have little capital to start with, success may take a little longer to be achieved. If your income is reliant on tools owned by others, then you do not have a business.

    Brick and Mortar businesses often make short term losses, the same is true in this industry - learn to love losses as lessons. Treat everything as constructive feedback and you can never fail.

    Good luck

    Abul
    Signature
    Author | Speaker | Digital Marketing Coach

    I help ordinary people achieve extraordinary results online. Get in touch to see how we can help you build a 6 figure business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8326772].message }}

Trending Topics