How do you Warriors concentrate on a task until finished inspite all the distractions?

61 replies
I plan to do a task and then stick to it for ten minutes and then get distracted.

What suggestions that you use every day you can give me?

Thanks.
#concentrate #distractions #finished #inspite #task #warriors
  • Profile picture of the author UnkwnUsr
    Originally Posted by Peter Thomas View Post

    I plan to do a task and then stick to it for ten minutes and then get distracted.

    What suggestions that you use every day you can give me?

    Thanks.
    When you get distracted what do you get distracted by? Try to eliminate those things that distract you or if you can't eliminate them completely put a time limit on them. Say you get distracted by looking at your email, put a time limit on it. Say to yourself "I have five minutes to look over my email and then I'll get back to working on my project". When the five minutes are up close your browser tab and get back to work again. Try to work as long as you can but give yourself little breaks where you allow yourself to be distracted.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453052].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dbrwn
      I would suggest that you take all destractions away such as the radio, television, kids, pets or anything else that could possibly stand in your way of obtaining your success.

      Also, I would definitely start prioritizing your duties throughout the day so that evdrything is structured and has its point in time in which they're done. Set goals for yourself and hold yourself accountable, or have someone else hold you accountable.

      Another thing that you can do to eleviate destractions is to get a mentor, someone who can teach you how to manage your time and your budget if that's what is needed.
      Originally Posted by UnkwnUsr View Post

      When you get distracted what do you get distracted by? Try to eliminate those things that distract you or if you can't eliminate them completely put a time limit on them. Say you get distracted by looking at your email, put a time limit on it. Say to yourself "I have five minutes to look over my email and then I'll get back to working on my project". When the five minutes are up close your browser tab and get back to work again. Try to work as long as you can but give yourself little breaks where you allow yourself to be distracted.
      Signature

      Discover the real truth about online business inside a brand new report called The Truth Is Out. It will be a real eye-opener for you the entrepreneur. To get a copy, visit the URL here below.

      http://www.teachmeinfomarketing.com/truthisout

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8458860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fcf360
    Originally Posted by Peter Thomas View Post

    I plan to do a task and then stick to it for ten minutes and then get distracted.

    What suggestions that you use every day you can give me?

    Thanks.
    If you get easily distracted when doing something.. then, it is not worth doing in the first place.

    Follow your hearts, follow your instincts.. for that's what lead you to your salvation...
    Signature
    The Warrior Forum
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453083].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author UnkwnUsr
      Originally Posted by fcf360 View Post

      If you get easily distracted when doing something.. then, it is not worth doing in the first place.

      Follow your hearts, follow your instincts.. for that's what lead you to your salvation...
      This is not true...they call it WORK for a reason. Not everyone has the luxury of outsourcing every unpleasant task. Sometimes you have to buckle down and do some boring chore it is part of life.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453130].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JennySweets
        First of all, if I want to focus, I make sure coffee is READY before i sit down to work, and have a GIANT cup next to me so I won't get up for more quickly.

        Then I do NOT go into Facebook, or Warrior Forum, or ANYTHING that might distract me from the task at hand. (For instance i have gotten NO work done today but I've had a good time posting in here.. dammit.. woops!)

        I turn on unobtrusive but rhythmically inspiring background music (if the music is too good i end up dancing in my chair and sapping my energy lol).

        I set goals in order of importance that HAVE to be accomplished then WANT to be accomplished in that sitting. If i don't do that - in writing or notepad - i end up working on more than one thing at a time and not getting much accomplished.

        erm lost my train of thought, i got distracted. (funny, ironic, but true. my kiddo is in his room making epic dinosaur versus monster truck noises with autistic jargon narration and it's funny as hell. which leads to my last tip - work when the kids aren't there or are in bed because it's hella hard to be productive otherwise - unless you have a spouse to wrangle them.)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453160].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
          Originally Posted by JennySweets View Post

          First of all, if I want to focus, I make sure coffee is READY before i sit down to work, and have a GIANT cup next to me so I won't get up for more quickly.

          Then I do NOT go into Facebook, or Warrior Forum, or ANYTHING that might distract me from the task at hand. (For instance i have gotten NO work done today but I've had a good time posting in here.. dammit.. woops!)

          I turn on unobtrusive but rhythmically inspiring background music (if the music is too good i end up dancing in my chair and sapping my energy lol).

          I set goals in order of importance that HAVE to be accomplished then WANT to be accomplished in that sitting. If i don't do that - in writing or notepad - i end up working on more than one thing at a time and not getting much accomplished.

          erm lost my train of thought, i got distracted. (funny, ironic, but true. my kiddo is in his room making epic dinosaur versus monster truck noises with autistic jargon narration and it's funny as hell. which leads to my last tip - work when the kids aren't there or are in bed because it's hella hard to be productive otherwise - unless you have a spouse to wrangle them.)
          Thanks for responding. Much obliged.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453438].message }}
  • Have you tried the pomodoro technique? It's basically where you set a timer for a short period of time (I think it's 25 minutes), and work as hard as you can. When the timer goes off, you take a 5 minute break, then do another 25 minutes of work. That's the basics of it.

    You should try it.
    Signature
    Need Music For Your Videos, Podcasts, Sites, etc? Get It Now On My YouTube Channel!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453179].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Originally Posted by Long Beach Nathan View Post

      Have you tried the pomodoro technique? It's basically where you set a timer for a short period of time (I think it's 25 minutes), and work as hard as you can. When the timer goes off, you take a 5 minute break, then do another 25 minutes of work. That's the basics of it.

      You should try it.
      No, I have not tried that. I will.

      Thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453418].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hipeopo02
      Originally Posted by Long Beach Nathan View Post

      Have you tried the pomodoro technique? It's basically where you set a timer for a short period of time (I think it's 25 minutes), and work as hard as you can. When the timer goes off, you take a 5 minute break, then do another 25 minutes of work. That's the basics of it.

      You should try it.
      that sounds pretty good actually.
      Signature
      A crappy product or service by people that disappear from the forum for a long period of time to make it look like they were working on something so when they come back you will want to click on their crappy product or service link

      CLICK HERE! LOL
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456087].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WriterWahm
    I time myself in batches of 30 minutes - 1 hour OR when I'm writing, I set a target of 1,000 words and then I get up for a cup of coffee or to do something else. Oh and I turn off my wifi. It's really hard to focus when I'm on the internet.

    If it has to do with other not-so-pleasant tasks, I make a check-list of all I need to get done and then I tick it off as I go on.

    Also, I make sure I have a to-do list with not more than 10 items for the day and try to get as much (or all) done that day.
    Signature

    PM me if you want a romantic fiction ghostwriter.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453197].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Originally Posted by WriterWahm View Post

      I time myself in batches of 30 minutes - 1 hour OR when I'm writing, I set a target of 1,000 words and then I get up for a cup of coffee or to do something else. Oh and I turn off my wifi. It's really hard to focus when I'm on the internet.

      If it has to do with other not-so-pleasant tasks, I make a check-list of all I need to get done and then I tick it off as I go on.

      Also, I make sure I have a to-do list with not more than 10 items for the day and try to get as much (or all) done that day.
      I like your ideas. I think I am planning a lot of tasks to get done in 1-2 hours every day after coming home from work (full time job) and then looking at them, I get overwhelmed and fall into the ALL or NOTHING trap.

      I should probably do at least 1 task from the list.

      Thank you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453433].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author shane_k
        I also recommend The Pomodoro Technique.

        It is a free ebook that you can find here

        The Pomodoro Technique®


        Not only do they have the setup that nathan mentioned but they do teach you how to deal with distractions whether they are internal or external.


        Originally Posted by Peter Thomas View Post

        I like your ideas. I think I am planning a lot of tasks to get done in 1-2 hours every day after coming home from work (full time job) and then looking at them, I get overwhelmed and fall into the ALL or NOTHING trap.

        I should probably do at least 1 task from the list.

        Thank you.

        If this is happening then you should check out the book "Getting Things Done" by David Allen.

        he actually explains why we get overwhelmed when reading out To-do lists, and he recommends a better setup than the traditional to-do list, and that is to setup the actions by context. This is explained in his book.

        You can also check out his blog at GTD Times: The official blog for David Allen, Getting Things Done® and GTD®

        or his youtube channel at gtd - YouTube

        You can even just search Youtube for "GTD" or "Getting Things Done" or "David Allen" for more information


        Hope this helps
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456456].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
          Originally Posted by shane_k View Post

          I also recommend The Pomodoro Technique.

          It is a free ebook that you can find here

          The Pomodoro Technique®


          Not only do they have the setup that nathan mentioned but they do teach you how to deal with distractions whether they are internal or external.





          If this is happening then you should check out the book "Getting Things Done" by David Allen.

          he actually explains why we get overwhelmed when reading out To-do lists, and he recommends a better setup than the traditional to-do list, and that is to setup the actions by context. This is explained in his book.

          You can also check out his blog at GTD Times: The official blog for David Allen, Getting Things Done® and GTD®

          or his youtube channel at gtd - YouTube

          You can even just search Youtube for "GTD" or "Getting Things Done" or "David Allen" for more information


          Hope this helps
          Shane,

          Yes, your suggestions will help. In fact, I have requested the GTD book from my local library and am waiting to receive it.
          Meanwhile. I will try the blog.

          Thanks.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456667].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    I don't understand lack of focus. You have something to do, so you do it. Why is this such a problem for people? Perhaps that is just what separates those who need bosses and rules from those who succeed on their own? Doing or not doing is just simply a matter of choice, so just choose.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453202].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JennySweets
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      I don't understand lack of focus. You have something to do, so you do it. Why is this such a problem for people? Perhaps that is just what separates those who need bosses and rules from those who succeed on their own? Doing or not doing is just simply a matter of choice, so just choose.

      Well that's a load of crap if ever I read one.

      I've had discussions with successful marketers who make the incomes of several people combined who have had to implement some sort of method for focus in order to get there.

      If you aren't one of them, and are never, ever distracted by anything - cool. You're rare.

      Real people have to work at focus but once they crack their own personal code, the sky is the limit.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453243].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author HeySal
        Originally Posted by JennySweets View Post

        Well that's a load of crap if ever I read one.

        I've had discussions with successful marketers who make the incomes of several people combined who have had to implement some sort of method for focus in order to get there.

        If you aren't one of them, and are never, ever distracted by anything - cool. You're rare.

        Real people have to work at focus but once they crack their own personal code, the sky is the limit.
        Crap? Really? I didn't notice what I do is so unusual. I have something to do, I do it. I don't find that so remarkable. From your response, and Peters, I guess it is. Hmm. Who knew? Maybe it's from all the years of listening to my father tell me "you knew you had to do it and didn't do it? How did that work for ya? Your own fault." Focus was drilled in since I can remember -- and it worked. I will admit I can concentrate longer at one time than almost anyone I know - but didn't realize that just doing what you know you have to do is such a puzzle for people.
        Signature

        Sal
        When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
        Beyond the Path

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456805].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      I don't understand lack of focus. You have something to do, so you do it. Why is this such a problem for people? Perhaps that is just what separates those who need bosses and rules from those who succeed on their own? Doing or not doing is just simply a matter of choice, so just choose.
      I really salute you. You are a super-human. Thanks for responding.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453450].message }}
    • Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      I don't understand lack of focus. You have something to do, so you do it. Why is this such a problem for people? Perhaps that is just what separates those who need bosses and rules from those who succeed on their own? Doing or not doing is just simply a matter of choice, so just choose.
      I agree with this.

      If you want to be an entrepreneur, you MUST be laser focused... so just stop butting around and get on with the task at hand. If you lack focus and get easily distracted, then you simply don't mean business. Get a job and a whip-cracking boss then.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8460633].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Cali16
        Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

        I agree with this.
        If you lack focus and get easily distracted, then you simply don't mean business.
        If only life was always so black and white...

        A LOT of people struggle with focus, for many different reasons. Some are more obvious than others, but some of the most common ones are:

        * ADD/ADHD (being easily distracted and /or becoming bored quickly are two typical symptoms - and "fixing" that isn't easy for someone who truly has this disorder)
        * Depression (makes concentrating very difficult)
        * Anxiety (e.g. restlessness and worry both interfere with the ability to focus)
        * Lack of discipline (discipline is a learned trait, but not everyone has it out of the gate)
        * Self-sabotage (for a whole host of different reasons, most of them subconscious) - if there's internal conflict (e.g. Joe really wants to do IM, but feels guilty because he's not using the expensive education (that his parents paid for) for him to pursue another career) it can make it difficult to focus. Fear of failure as well as fear of success would also fit here, as both contribute to self-sabotage.
        * Lack of clear goals / direction / game plan
        * Feeling overwhelmed
        * Mental and / or physical fatigue
        * Disorganization
        * Poor time management skills

        Some of these are more easily overcome than others, once (and if) the person identifies the root problem. But to say it's simply that someone "doesn't mean business" is very condescending and often not the case at all.
        Signature
        If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461038].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Cali16 View Post

          If only life was always so black and white...

          A LOT of people struggle with focus, for many different reasons: ADD/ADHD, Depression, Anxiety, Lack of discipline, Self-sabotage, Lack of clear goals, Feeling overwhelmed, Mental and / or physical fatigue, Disorganization, Poor time management skills

          But to say it's simply that someone "doesn't mean business" is very condescending and often not the case at all.
          I dont mean to be rude, but absolutely all the symptoms you've listed clearly relate to someone who's not yet in "business mode". Those symptoms define someone who's still in research mode, or who's still taking some part time baby steps, etc. Not someone who's yet meaning serious business.

          When you ARE in business mode though, there's no self sabotage, there's no disorganization, there's no anxiety, there's no lack of clear goals, etc. There's just "do": you know where you want to go, you moreless have an idea of the direction you have to take, and then you simply DO. If you let your TV, your fridge or the latest shiny WSO to distract you, then you're not yet ready for the task at hand.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461238].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
            Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

            I dont mean to be rude, but absolutely all the symptoms you've listed clearly relate to someone who's not yet in "business mode". Those symptoms define someone who's still in research mode, or who's still taking some part time baby steps, etc. Not someone who's yet meaning serious business.

            When you ARE in business mode though, there's no self sabotage, there's no disorganization, there's no anxiety, there's no lack of clear goals, etc. There's just "do": you know where you want to go, you moreless have an idea of the direction you have to take, and then you simply DO. If you let your TV, your fridge or the latest shiny WSO to distract you, then you're not yet ready for the task at hand.
            Yes, I am NEW to entrepreneurship, as I mentioned in one of my other threads (4 months ago I didn't know anything about Internet Marketing). But, like any venture I have done previously in life, I am taking "part time baby steps" and lose focus sometimes, NOT all the time.

            That doesn't mean I'm not serious. Innumerable champions, geniuses, achievers, parents, and many others have gone through at one time or other "lack of focus".

            If you've never gone through this phase in your life, I salute you.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Devin X
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Peter Thomas View Post

    I plan to do a task and then stick to it for ten minutes and then get distracted.

    What suggestions that you use every day you can give me?
    Watch a hardcore video...not what you're thinking...or maybe it is...depends on the person.
    Listen to hardcore music.
    Get your head out of your ass.
    Just get it done.
    Berate yourself.
    Take a Ritalin.

    Me? I just focus and do it...but that's pretty vague. IDK try one or all of the above. =D
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453244].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wrcato2
    what I do is turn off my internet connection. Close out all folders, pdf,audios etc.

    Get away from other distractions (occupy another room of yours where no one will bother you. Turn off cell phone. Set a timer for 30 minutes and get to it. Timer goes off take a 5 minute break. Set timer again and get busy.

    Continue this routine for as long as you want.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453288].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Originally Posted by wrcato2 View Post

      what I do is turn off my internet connection. Close out all folders, pdf,audios etc.

      Get away from other distractions (occupy another room of yours where no one will bother you. Turn off cell phone. Set a timer for 30 minutes and get to it. Timer goes off take a 5 minute break. Set timer again and get busy.

      Continue this routine for as long as you want.
      Your ideas sound great. I will try. Sometimes, I need the internet to research topics to write or some other stuff and at that time, I get distracted a lot. I will try the timer idea.

      Thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453459].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    Will power.

    Put on some music (Preferably without lyrics), and focus.

    Period.

    End of story.

    No Facebook.

    No Twitter.

    No Forums.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453460].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GetBack2it
    Two Things.

    1. Keep otherbrowser windows/tabs closed. This means no checking out Warrior Forum!

    2. Reward Yourself. Set a short term or long term milestone goal once reached treat yourself to something.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Put yourself on a daily schedule, and create a daily marketing plan for yourself. Just make sure that the marketing tactics that you choose to use will actually bring you targeted traffic, and new sales.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453563].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Thank you everyone. Many practical ideas here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453606].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cyberdenizen
    If you don't need the Internet for the task you're working on, turn it off. If you do need the Internet, block all the time-wasting websites. Use Concentrate or StayFocusd for Chrome and LeechBlock for FireFox.

    Use Task Timer (a Chrome App) to keep track of the time you spend on your tasks.

    You can also use the Pomodoro technique. I have ADHD, the inattentive type, and the Pomodoro technique has helped me a lot to stay focused and be productive. There are many Pomodoro timers that you can download for free. I use this one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Geri Richmond
    Hi,
    I set a timer. 30 min. for this, 15 min. for that and believe it or not, it really works. Keeps me focused. Take a 5 min. break every hour. Get away from your desk and computer. Hope this helps.
    Geri Richmond
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8453703].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Thank you cyber denizen and Geri.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8455065].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pewpewpewmonkeys
    I plan to do a task and then stick to it for ten minutes and then get distracted.
    What suggestions that you use every day you can give me?
    1. Stop this thread and using it as an excuse to not do what you should be doing.
    2. Set goals.
    3. Set meaningful rewards.
    4. Don't expect to be perfect.
    5. Stop stopping.
    Signature
    Some cause-oriented hackers recently hacked one of my websites. So I researched what they're about and then donated a large sum of money to the entity they hate the most.

    The next time they hack one of my websites I'm going to donate DOUBLE.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8455090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
    One simple way that I use myself sometimes is sitting here in plain sight. If you can do something for 10 minutes then do it for 10 minutes, take a short!! break and then come back for another 10 minutes.

    There is a lot that can be done 10 minutes at a time especially if you string together a bunch of 10 minutes even if there are short breaks in between.

    Mark

    Originally Posted by Peter Thomas View Post

    I plan to do a task and then stick to it for ten minutes and then get distracted.

    What suggestions that you use every day you can give me?

    Thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456033].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Janice Sperry
    1. Type in Google search: timer 30 minutes
    2. Work like crazy until alarm goes off, press "ok"
    3. Take 5-10 minute break with some stretching and aerobics
    4. Press "Reset" to start timer again...

    Rinse and repeat.

    I count WF as "work" if I am researching. I count it as a "reward" for getting tasks accomplished or a "break" if I am just scanning through threads for the fun of it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456404].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Originally Posted by Janice Sperry View Post

      1. Type in Google search: timer 30 minutes
      2. Work like crazy until alarm goes off, press "ok"
      3. Take 5-10 minute break with some stretching and aerobics
      4. Press "Reset" to start timer again...

      Rinse and repeat.

      I count WF as "work" if I am researching. I count it as a "reward" for getting tasks accomplished or a "break" if I am just scanning through threads for the fun of it.
      Janice,

      Thanks, I didn't know that it's so simple. I will try your idea in google next time.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456660].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    Different things work for different people, but for me
    it's DEADLINES. I hate when a client tells me that
    I can finish the project whenever I have time. I want
    them to give me a deadline. My concentration improves
    as the deadline approaches.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456478].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Originally Posted by Raydal View Post

      Different things work for different people, but for me
      it's DEADLINES. I hate when a client tells me that
      I can finish the project whenever I have time. I want
      them to give me a deadline. My concentration improves
      as the deadline approaches.

      -Ray Edwards
      Ray,

      It's very true. As I said in one of my other threads, sometimes, I forget when I am working on my blog, that I am an entrepreneur, and NOT an employee. I have to get out of that mindset when I leave work (or when I have some time at work to work on my business).

      Since I am still new to entrepreneurship, I guess it will take some time and effort for me. I am working towards that diligently.

      At work, there are tight DEADLINES for me, and so, the work gets done on time, otherwise they won't keep me!

      I have to adapt to the new entrepreneur lifestyle, where I am the boss.

      Slowly and steadily, I am making progress with the awesome people in this forum.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456692].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hustlinsmoke
    One more time as I said you can call it information overload or whatever else you want too.

    It all comes down to one thing, Do you have the MINDSET to do this. Do you have the motivatin and dreaming is not motivation. Do you have the fire to continue that motivation, minute after minute, hour after hour and day after day.

    When I was a Lifter, in the off season I would gain 50 pounds of muscle and fat and in 12 weeks strip it thinking I would have more muscle which I don't believe any longer.
    The thing is everyone always asked me. How do you do it, what type of diet do you use.

    I used all the diets, and guess what they all worked, I have never tried a diet then that didn't work. Why because I had a burning desire and insatiable sense of motivation to get to my goals. I had the mindset of a bodybuilder. I was going to attain what I started out to do or die trying and it felt like it sometimes.

    Now I'm old fat and tired and everyone says, but you have the knowledge, you have did it before why not just do it. You can not put motivation in someone it has to come from within, you can give a reason to be motivated but you can't motivate me.

    Yeah another one of my long drawn out poorly written analogy's. This is my life and that is the only thing I know to show my examples.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456681].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Originally Posted by hustlinsmoke View Post

      One more time as I said you can call it information overload or whatever else you want too.

      It all comes down to one thing, Do you have the MINDSET to do this. Do you have the motivatin and dreaming is not motivation. Do you have the fire to continue that motivation, minute after minute, hour after hour and day after day.

      When I was a Lifter, in the off season I would gain 50 pounds of muscle and fat and in 12 weeks strip it thinking I would have more muscle which I don't believe any longer.
      The thing is everyone always asked me. How do you do it, what type of diet do you use.

      I used all the diets, and guess what they all worked, I have never tried a diet then that didn't work. Why because I had a burning desire and insatiable sense of motivation to get to my goals. I had the mindset of a bodybuilder. I was going to attain what I started out to do or die trying and it felt like it sometimes.

      Now I'm old fat and tired and everyone says, but you have the knowledge, you have did it before why not just do it. You can not put motivation in someone it has to come from within, you can give a reason to be motivated but you can't motivate me.

      Yeah another one of my long drawn out poorly written analogy's. This is my life and that is the only thing I know to show my examples.
      Thanks and sure I have the motivation, otherwise, I would have given up at the first sign of trouble. If I didn't have the motivation, I wouldn't have come to America from a small town in South East Asia (first person in my family to do so) as a Software Engineer.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jacqueline Smith
    Challenge yourself.

    If you find you can focus for 10 minutes...challenge yourself to try for 15....once you're comfortable with that move on to 20, etc.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456682].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Originally Posted by Jacqueline Smith View Post

      Challenge yourself.

      If you find you can focus for 10 minutes...challenge yourself to try for 15....once you're comfortable with that move on to 20, etc.
      Jacqueline,

      Yes, that's what I'm doing. I have set very small goals and it seems to work. Also, I am following BJ Fogg's tiny habits which is working great for me.

      Thank you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456707].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MKCookins
    As everyone else said in order to stay concentrated on a single task you need to eliminate all distractions.

    Turn off your tv, Facebook, Youtube, and any other distractions that you know will make you side track.

    Work in little segments of 30 minutes to an hour -- then take a 15 minute break and continue again. By setting yourself a time limit you subconsciously try to get things done faster and not goof off.

    If you really want to get your work done set a little treat for you after you finish. This can be watching a movie, eating something good, or play a game. You will tell yourself you can not do anything of those things until you have completed your work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456694].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Originally Posted by MKCookins View Post

      As everyone else said in order to stay concentrated on a single task you need to eliminate all distractions.

      Turn off your tv, Facebook, Youtube, and any other distractions that you know will make you side track.

      Work in little segments of 30 minutes to an hour -- then take a 15 minute break and continue again. By setting yourself a time limit you subconsciously try to get things done faster and not goof off.

      If you really want to get your work done set a little treat for you after you finish. This can be watching a movie, eating something good, or play a game. You will tell yourself you can not do anything of those things until you have completed your work.
      Thanks for your insights. Much appreciated.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456712].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hustlinsmoke
    See I just don't think that is the answer, I mean if you are doing something and your mind is focused you tend not to notice anything else.

    Many times I hear why didn't you answer the door or the phone, I REALLY did not hear it, I was focused. Sometimes I forget to eat, to say I love you, to hold these are things I need to work on.

    When lifting, I didn't notice the skimpy outfits the girls wore when I was training, yes when just in there messing around but not during training. I remember one time I was training for a contest with another guy, some guy comes up and hops on the equipment when there was like four of the same empty, Pop down he goes and I just keep training.

    Motivation causes focus and takes over distractions, sometimes it can get scary like when your driving and you end up someone and don't remember seeing anything else.

    Now when I lose it and start falling off the beaten path, I reexamine my goals, my priority's and steps to success. Then I take a sheet of paper out and I rewrite them a minimum of ten times and do it different each time till I finally start feeling it and feel what I wrote. Then I am back on track.

    You know those stupid little tricks like tape your goal to your mirror, write your goals to a notepad and look at it all day. That works I promise you if you live think and sleep what you want it will become a part of you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amwarner
    When you're working on something, remove all of the things that may distract you. If what you're working on is on the computer and you find yourself not working and checking FB or twitter, there's a program that I can't remember the name of that you can sign up for, and it disables your account for the length of time you set it for that you need to work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8457022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author turnkeybiz
    Drink heavily lol ok well it would make it fun at lease.

    But like many have said already.

    1. Pick the right part of the day, where you can have free no contact time

    2. I converted my basement into my office and man cave, no one comes down for the most part and I control the environment

    3. I put headphones on and listen to either Audio training tapes, like I am as I type this, or music. It keeps me focused and i don't hear anything.

    4. Gather all you need, munchies, coffee (HUGE pot of coffee for me lol)

    5. Plan how much time will you give yourself and give your self a goal that you know you can achieve within that time. You will feel so much better when you hit these short term goals that you will train yourself.

    6. Out-source the boring crappy stuff lol.

    7. Oh did I say Drink a lot lol

    good luck
    Signature
    "A man's worth, is not measured by the numbers in his bank account, but in the number of people that call him friend" Internet Marketing Consultant - Ask8.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8457447].message }}
  • I use a list. Got the idea from Brian Tracy.

    I write down the things to do for the day, and give each an estimated time period.

    Putting a deadline to it gives you the ability to get it done somehow.

    Cross out each thing you complete and bask in the sense of accomplishment.

    Also try to get everything done by 11 a.m. if you're full time at home.

    It's a lovely feeling to complete your list as if it's homework due in an hour, then have the rest of the day to bask in your sense of accomplishment gazing at your checked off list!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8458600].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    People get distracted when they're doing stuff that doesn't interest them much. That's why I believe it's important to pick a niche you like. If you find you're drifting away from something that actually interests you then maybe you're not cut out for marketing online. Not everyone is.

    Another thing is to make lists according to priorities. Make a commitment to yourself that you are going to get one thing done and that you're going to stick to it until it's finished. When you've got it done give yourself a little reward and then move to the next item on the list. You might also want to shut down all social networking and other distractions while your working.

    It's called discipline and if you're unable to develop some you might just want to get a job.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8458643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fazal Mayar
    It's hard actually, you need to close facebook and youtube and convince yourself you are working instead of wasting time.

    Me, I have to work on a desk because if i work on the laptop on my bed it means im wasting time. On a desk, you are much much concentrated.
    Signature

    Blogger at RicherOrNot.com (Make Money online blog but also promoting ethical internet marketing)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8458826].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gcbmark20
    Create a checklist!!!

    That's the best way you'll get something DONE before you even think
    about doing anything else.

    I mean as simple as a child would do things:

    Step 1 - Log in to YouTube
    Step 2 - Click Upload Button
    Step 3 - Create Title
    Step 4 - Add tags
    Step 5 - Add Category
    Step 6 - Send notice to F/B, Google+, Twitter etc etc
    Step 7 - Log Out!

    This is an example of course but that's how it needs to be for anything
    you do in I.M.

    Do it until it's done then move to next step.

    This makes it almost impossible to get distracted.

    Turn off or close all tabs apart from the ones you are working on.

    Hope this helps
    Gavin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8458889].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrfarshay
    Usually people get distracted because they run into an area with their 'task' that becomes difficult. You need to remember your the owner and boss of your business & can't move on until you have accomplished what needs to get done.

    Working from home is difficult because its very easy to say "I'll come back later or its time for a break etc. . "

    Stay focused buddy or surround yourself with people that can help you push past the difficult parts of your business. Good luck
    Signature
    Simple System Anyone Can Use
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8458927].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Peter Thomas View Post

    I plan to do a task and then stick to it for ten minutes and then get distracted.

    What suggestions that you use every day you can give me?

    Thanks.
    My suggestion is that try to finish the tasks before going to any topic that you've been distracted.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8459030].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Thank you everyone. Day by day, I am getting better. Excellent ideas here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8459631].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pinkgorilla
    Whenever I have a new project or idea in mind, I like to write it all out step by step. I break it up into parts so I can see what I need to do clearer. Then I assign a deadline for each task to do so I can complete the project. This motivates me and keeps me on tasks, you should give something like this a try.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8459641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
    Good points, well taken.

    Thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8459726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DianneH
    Best Planning Method ever. I use it myself. It may seem a little much in the beginning but once you plan out your days, months you will be well underway to avoiding the getting stuck and distracted syndromes. RPM=Rapid Planning Method. Here's to your success! Any questions? I will be more than happy to help you.
    Signature
    Dianne Humphries
    www.PLRMiniMarket.com


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461277].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrgoe
    Think about the popularity that the girls that will stick with you will bring the money that you`ll make from that task, and you`re ok )
    Signature
    Want To Rank on The First Page of Google? Try This:
    - Strong Authority Articles on PBNope.Com and
    - SEO Diversification Package From Rankcol.Com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461360].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Geri Richmond
    Hi,
    I set a timer. Really works well. I know I have a certain time to work on a task and if I don't finish it, I move onto something else. If I have time at the end of the day, I go back to the task I didn't finish. Helps me to stay focused and I get a lot done.

    Give it a try.
    Geri Richmond
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8463395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vector Graphics
    If you are having a hard time getting things done then come up with a list of tasks you need done the night before so that day you immediately know what you need to get done. Once you start something don't stop until you are finished.

    When you are in work mode don't even think about checking your email or Facebook unless it is necessary to complete the job you are doing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8463415].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BlazeD
    I tend to put headphones on and listen to music. Nothing crazy, just relaxing music that keeps my thoughts going in the right direction. some AC/DC if I need some motivation lol. But I tend to stick to blues.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8463434].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Thank you again Warriors. All points well taken and learnt a lot here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8464567].message }}

Trending Topics