How to decrease page load time when embedding youtube videos?

12 replies
Hi,

I use a lot of embedded videos in my posts. It makes my website load very slowly. How can I decrease the load time?

Thanks.
#decrease #embedding #load #page #time #videos #youtube
  • Profile picture of the author Gavin Stephenson
    Are you referring to you Smooth blogging website?

    Cool blog by the way!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9248143].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kush Sharma
      Yes..and thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9248179].message }}
    • You can use a free software called handbrake to compress the video but still keep the quality. Then upload it on youtube channel and embed.

      Ive used this on some of my projects and tutorials
      Signature
      Need a Coach to generate leads and TRIPLE your online business income?
      Let me Inspire and Empower You!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9248183].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Slazengeer
    A quick Google search yielded me the best possible answer i.e. Load the YouTube Video Player On-Demand.
    Have a look at this useful post:

    How to Embed YouTube Videos without Increasing Page Load Time
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9248188].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kush Sharma
      Originally Posted by Slazengeer View Post

      A quick Google search yielded me the best possible answer i.e. Load the YouTube Video Player On-Demand.
      Have a look at this useful post:

      How to Embed YouTube Videos without Increasing Page Load Time

      Thanks for this. I will try this. Can you tell me what he means by this line though

      " [*] If you have a high-traffic site, please make a copy of the minified youtube.js file from googlecode.com and host it on your own server."

      Because I do intend to make my blog a high traffic one in the future and I don't want any problems in the future.

      Thanks
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9248225].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dad2four
    Here's an idea for you.

    Take a screenshot of the vid screen that you see before you tell it to play.

    Cut out just the vid and save it as an image.

    Do the same for all of your vids on each page.

    Wrap the image in a link tag and link out to the vid on youtube or wherever the vid lives.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9248198].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kush Sharma
      Originally Posted by dad2four View Post

      Here's an idea for you.

      Take a screenshot of the vid screen that you see before you tell it to play.

      Cut out just the vid and save it as an image.

      Do the same for all of your vids on each page.

      Wrap the image in a link tag and link out to the vid on youtube or wherever the vid lives.

      Yes I thought of this too. But I want people to stay on my site for longer, and this method will not serve that purpose. I'd be using it if all else fails.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9248218].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dad2four
        ok so for each vid, if they click on the image, have a page setup for each seperate vid. Or make it dynamic so that you pass the URL to the page, the vid can start automatically once they hit the other page. The page can be in your site still.

        I'm thinking you could accomplish this with ajax as well and actually keep them on the same page without leaving.

        btw, we are probably going to get in trouble here since this makes more sense in the programming forum.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9248243].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gavin Stephenson
    Dude I think it's computer.. Your website loads FAST for me...

    Update your flash, clear your cache etc..

    Ask's others to view your site.. it might be just your computer or internet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9248240].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kush Sharma
      Originally Posted by Gavin Stephenson View Post

      Dude I think it's computer.. Your website loads FAST for me...

      Update your flash, clear your cache etc..

      Ask's others to view your site.. it might be just your computer or internet.
      The website (homepage) loads fast because in the excerpts, videos aren't there.

      But when it comes to posts which have more than 5 embedded videos, the load time is a lot.

      And I intend to have articles that will have more than 10 embedded videos.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9248247].message }}

Trending Topics