Pricing advice - PLR articles

by MNord
18 replies
Assume a 5 pack of plr articles is very high quality--high word count (550-1500 each article) and with writing of about the same quality as major sites like huffington post, aol etc.

Niche is health/beauty related.

Would it likely be more profitable to price at $4 or $9? I have never sold plr and don't know how sensitive the market is to price/quality.

Thanks!

-mike
#advice #articles #plr #pricing
  • Profile picture of the author MNord
    Bumping for advice
    Signature
    First 10 Warriors to PM me get a FREE weight loss PLR article pack. Brand new original PLR! (You must have over 50 posts and agree to provide a review.)

    Best-written PLR article you've ever seen? Find out...get it FREE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277811].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Originally Posted by MNord View Post

    a 5 pack of plr articles is very high quality--high word count (550-1500 each article)

    Mike,

    IMO . . . $4-9 would be way undervalued for 5 articles of, say, 1,000 words each, if they were indeed "very high quality."

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277829].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MNord
      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      Mike,

      IMO . . . $4-9 would be way undervalued for 5 articles of, say, 1,000 words each, if they were indeed "very high quality."

      Steve
      Steve, you are 100% correct! But if charging $4 would likely produce, say, 5x the sales volume vs. $9 or $14, I'd gladly sell for below fair value. That's really what I'm wondering about.
      Signature
      First 10 Warriors to PM me get a FREE weight loss PLR article pack. Brand new original PLR! (You must have over 50 posts and agree to provide a review.)

      Best-written PLR article you've ever seen? Find out...get it FREE
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277868].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steve B
        Mike,

        I understand what you're saying. I personally believe, however, that if you choose the "low ball" route, over the long term, your business will suffer. People do still associate low price with low quality even though that may not actually be the case.

        If I were in the writing business, I would try to position myself at the upper end of the scale charging more than others for a product that was better than others. I think you do that best right from the start. Develop a reputation from the beginning that you're catering to the clients that are willing to pay more for the best - and there will always be a good supply of these clients.

        Being known for low price is a very cutthroat strategy. And there will be those from over seas that will always be willing to work for very little. I wouldn't want to be competing in that space.

        This is just me talking - giving you my preferred approach. You will have to decide how you want to position yourself.

        Steve
        Signature

        Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
        SteveBrowneDirect

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277968].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MNord
          Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

          Mike,

          I understand what you're saying. I personally believe, however, that if you choose the "low ball" route, over the long term, your business will suffer. People do still associate low price with low quality even though that may not actually be the case.

          If I were in the writing business, I would try to position myself at the upper end of the scale charging more than others for a product that was better than others. I think you do that best right from the start. Develop a reputation from the beginning that you're catering to the clients that are willing to pay more for the best - and there will always be a good supply of these clients.

          Being known for low price is a very cutthroat strategy. And there will be those from over seas that will always be willing to work for very little. I wouldn't want to be competing in that space.

          This is just me talking - giving you my preferred approach. You will have to decide how you want to position yourself.

          Steve
          That's more where my head has been. But I don't know the PLR market so I'm a little unsure. But your advice is very sound. And you're right: I think people often perceive that they get what they pay for.

          Great food for thought. I appreciate it.
          Signature
          First 10 Warriors to PM me get a FREE weight loss PLR article pack. Brand new original PLR! (You must have over 50 posts and agree to provide a review.)

          Best-written PLR article you've ever seen? Find out...get it FREE
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277992].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author alodie
          Hi Steve,

          I have to agree with you: <<<I personally believe,
          however, that if you choose the "low ball" route,
          over the long term, your business will suffer. People
          do still associate low price with low quality even
          though that may not actually be the case.">>>

          Unfortunately, that seems to be the case with selling
          products online.

          The thing is, most of the time all that the product
          producer is trying to do is to "help out" his or her
          fellow marketer by lowing the price. But most
          of the time that kind of thoughtful consideration
          can be "lost in translation."

          And again you said: <<< "If I were in the writing
          business, I would try to position myself at the upper
          end of the scale charging more than others for a
          product that was better than others. I think you do
          that best right from the start. Develop a reputation
          from the beginning that you're catering to the clients
          that are willing to pay more for the best - and there
          will always be a good supply of these clients.”>>>

          I couldn't agree more with you, Steve: <<<"Being
          known for low price is a very cutthroat strategy. And
          there will be those from over seas that will always
          be willing to work for very little. I wouldn't want to be
          competing in that space.”>>>

          It seem to be a much better approach to start at a
          reasonable "top price," then work your way down
          to a comfortable level, which might demonstrate to
          your potential clients that you do know your worth
          as a writer.

          I can tell you that most respectable clients might
          respect you a lot more for setting a higher level of
          standard of operation.

          And of course, the question of quality will pay
          a major role in the overall decision.

          I read somewhere online how one freelance writer
          Was having the “time-of-her-life” getting her
          customers to adjust to the "new" pricing of her
          contents.

          She thought that she was being sensitive to the
          needs of her initial customers, and placed her
          product at a certain low price point.

          But to her surprise, and horror, a good chunk of
          her customer-base suddenly unsubscribed from
          her list, when she finally decided to raise her price.

          I think that she might have conveniently forgotten
          one essential principle of selling products online,
          and that is: the “what is in it for ME” factor.

          That almost left her in financial ruined. Because content
          writing and selling had become her primary source of
          income

          Mike, please do think through thoroughly what you
          are doing with this venture. The Internet can be an
          awfully fickle place. But I guess you might already
          know this by now ;-)

          I am just thinking out loud.

          Best of luck,

          Alodieanne
          Signature
          "Providing personal and business transformational information: Working hard to always give the kind of value that will produce the best results for my customers. Because, the success of my business will depend on my customers' satisfaction."


          Alodieanne
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9290036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author john01a
    A normal price for Non Transferable PLR content, is about $1 for a page of PLR content.

    For PLR Articles that are 1000+ words, maybe somewhere between $1 - $2 per PLR Article.

    As far as which ($4 or $9) will be more profitable, that's something that you'll probably need to test out. However, $4 for a pack of 5 Non Transferable PLR Articles, that contains Articles that have 1000+ words, seems a little low (unless you're promoting it as a discount/special deal).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277947].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MNord
      Originally Posted by john01a View Post

      A normal price for Non Transferable PLR content, is about $1 for a page of PLR content.

      For PLR Articles that are 1000+ words, maybe somewhere between $1 - $2 per PLR Article.

      As far as which ($4 or $9) will be more profitable, that's something that you'll probably need to test out. However, $4 for a pack of 5 Non Transferable PLR Articles, that contains Articles that have 1000+ words, seems a little low (unless you're promoting it as a discount/special deal).
      John, great suggestion re: special deal. I'll consider doing that regardless of where I ultimately price.

      That all makes sense in terms of word count. But what about quality? Does that even factor in for the majority of PLR buyers, or are expectations for PLR so low that it doesn't matter much?
      Signature
      First 10 Warriors to PM me get a FREE weight loss PLR article pack. Brand new original PLR! (You must have over 50 posts and agree to provide a review.)

      Best-written PLR article you've ever seen? Find out...get it FREE
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277983].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Katie Rich
        Originally Posted by MNord View Post

        But what about quality? Does that even factor in for the majority of PLR buyers, or are expectations for PLR so low that it doesn't matter much?
        Quality in PLR does matter. I always make some changes to PLR that I buy, but if I have to totally rewrite it then where is the point in paying anything at all?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278008].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    You don't offer enough information for an intelligent answer.

    Two important things:

    1. Exactly what rights do buyers have?
    2. How many packages will you sell?

    Without knowing those two details there is no way to answer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278336].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MNord
      Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      You don't offer enough information for an intelligent answer.

      Two important things:

      1. Exactly what rights do buyers have?
      2. How many packages will you sell?

      Without knowing those two details there is no way to answer.
      Fair enough.

      I don't plan to limit how many copies are sold.

      Here are the rights:

      Here's what you CAN do with PLR content you get from me:
      + Put your own name on it so that you appear as the author.
      + Edit, append, divide, rewrite, or otherwise change it however you want to.
      + Publish the material on your website, blog, newsletter, emails, membership site, eCourse, special report, eBook, etc.
      + Give it away for free as bonuses, incentives, gifts etc.

      Here are the things you CANNOT do with PLR content you get from me:
      -- You may not claim copyright to it.
      -- You may not sell or give away PLR rights or resale rights to it.
      -- You may not use it as part of another product to which you sell or give away PLR/resale rights.
      -- You may not post PLR content purchased from me on free sharing sites or directories like EzineArticles.com, Squidoo, etc.
      Signature
      First 10 Warriors to PM me get a FREE weight loss PLR article pack. Brand new original PLR! (You must have over 50 posts and agree to provide a review.)

      Best-written PLR article you've ever seen? Find out...get it FREE
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278509].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MNord
        Bump for any response from travlinguy. Also interested in any input from PLR sellers--if they care to advise
        Signature
        First 10 Warriors to PM me get a FREE weight loss PLR article pack. Brand new original PLR! (You must have over 50 posts and agree to provide a review.)

        Best-written PLR article you've ever seen? Find out...get it FREE
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9286177].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ssparks81
    I would say $7. It's a popular price point for wso and in between the two you suggested.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9286920].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Bumping your threads is sometimes frowned on here - just a caution.

      Selling in unlimited quantity is not a great idea - if you do that the price needs to be lower. For increased value - sell freshly written (never sold/used before) in limited quantities (50-100).

      When you sell PLR it's not about what each buyer pays for "the article" - the bottom line is what you earn from total sales.

      Five articles, though, is a small package - I'd add more articles and then charge $17 for 15 articles with a limit of 75 sold. Do the math - pretty good profit per article.

      Keep your terms as simple as you can - too many limitations put off buyers.

      kay
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world of one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9287058].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MNord
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        Bumping your threads is sometimes frowned on here - just a caution.

        Selling in unlimited quantity is not a great idea - if you do that the price needs to be lower. For increased value - sell freshly written (never sold/used before) in limited quantities (50-100).

        When you sell PLR it's not about what each buyer pays for "the article" - the bottom line is what you earn from total sales.

        Five articles, though, is a small package - I'd add more articles and then charge $17 for 15 articles with a limit of 75 sold. Do the math - pretty good profit per article.

        Keep your terms as simple as you can - too many limitations put off buyers.

        kay
        Thanks--helpful input. I do note that you provide a suggestion about pricing based on number of articles without discussing the quality factor. Does that imply that, in your opinion, quality is likely to be a lesser factor with most plr buyers? Or am I misreading? That's the heart of the issue. I get the idea that people are divided on this.

        Thanks for the advice about terms as well--I will try to simplify.
        Signature
        First 10 Warriors to PM me get a FREE weight loss PLR article pack. Brand new original PLR! (You must have over 50 posts and agree to provide a review.)

        Best-written PLR article you've ever seen? Find out...get it FREE
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9289372].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Killian
    Also depends on where you plan on selling them. If your talking a WSO, many people expect a low price.

    If it's unique content and high quality, then $4 for all 5 is way to low. Of course they would sell well, but you could get more money.

    One a side note, articles can have more "value" if they are limited. Some people won't even buy them if they ate NOT limited. Course you make less, so it a catch 22. It's a tough call.

    Also, if they are generic, just health/beauty in general, they won't be worth as much. There's plenty of those articles around. But if you target specific sub niches you'll have a better chance of selling. More so if you go after trends or what's hot right now.
    Signature
    PLR Affiliate Program Has Launched! Easily Promote Over 5,000 PLR and MRR Products.

    Largest Selection of PLR Articles on the Planet! PLR Ebooks, PLR Video, PLR Websites and more with Private Label Rights
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9290574].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MNord
      Originally Posted by Ron Killian View Post

      Also depends on where you plan on selling them. If your talking a WSO, many people expect a low price.

      If it's unique content and high quality, then $4 for all 5 is way to low. Of course they would sell well, but you could get more money.

      One a side note, articles can have more "value" if they are limited. Some people won't even buy them if they ate NOT limited. Course you make less, so it a catch 22. It's a tough call.

      Also, if they are generic, just health/beauty in general, they won't be worth as much. There's plenty of those articles around. But if you target specific sub niches you'll have a better chance of selling. More so if you go after trends or what's hot right now.
      Thanks, Ron. Right now I have a WSO Classified ad up for a free article that's over 1000 words in length and is extremely high quality for PLR. We'll see if that is enough to entice purchases of the entire pack.

      The "limited" issue also intrigues me. I see some people saying they wouldn't buy PLR that's unlimited. Then I see others saying it doesn't matter since they edit the PLR anyway. I also note that some well-respected PLR sellers don't necessarily limit sales of each package. So again I'm confused about this point. May be yet another aspect I have to test for myself.

      Niches will be pretty well defined. I said health/beauty just to provide additional info. The actual first pack I'm selling is anti-aging. A weight loss pack is coming soon. I'm planning to keep each article pack, report etc. tightly focused instead of putting out generic/broadly focused material.

      I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks again!
      Signature
      First 10 Warriors to PM me get a FREE weight loss PLR article pack. Brand new original PLR! (You must have over 50 posts and agree to provide a review.)

      Best-written PLR article you've ever seen? Find out...get it FREE
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9292708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anne Laidlaw
    I don't buy articles unless they are limited to under 75-80 at most. I would pay extra for quality. Once people get to know your articles are top notch they will pay. If they are of a sub niche not just general I would pay extra too.

    Just my 2 cents.
    Signature
    Giant Plugin Biz High Quality WP Plugin Package
    WP Plugins Are Hott!! Claim Your Piece Of The Pie Today!
    Free Squeeze Page Creator - FREE Instant Access To Alou's Killer Squeeze Page Creator.
    Alou.com - Wordpress SEO - Latest free WordPress SEO, Plugins, Themes and more!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9290682].message }}

Trending Topics