Goal Setting Like A Boss

19 replies
Have you ever noticed that most of the time when you set a goal you usually come up short or sometimes you don't even get anywhere close to reaching your goal?

Well, one of the main reasons why we don't reach are goals is because we take the minimum amount of action that we think will help us move towards our goals.

For example, if I want to make $10,000 per month online, I must create an action plan to reach that goal.

Here is a typical action plan:

- Create a sales funnel with three products ($7 ebook, $47 video course, $97 advanced video course)

- Drive 100-1,000 targeted visitors to my offer every day

- Keep improving conversions and traffic until I hit my goal

That is a decent action plan, but it is based on everything going smoothly and everything going as planned.

Instead you should create an action plan that will prevail over any obstacles or random events that could come your way.

So, instead of aiming for $10,000 per month what if I aimed for $100,000 per month and created an action plan that is designed to help me achieve $100,000 per month?

My action plan would be a lot more detailed and would require a lot more action.

Here is an example of an action plan I would create to reach $100,000 per month

- Create a funnel with seven different products/services ( free report, $7 ebook, $47 video course, $97 advanced video course, $497 advanced video course plus group coaching, $997 advanced video course plus 1-on-1 coaching via email and skype message, $1,997 advanced video course plus 1-on-1 coaching via email/skype message and weekly skype calls)

- Drive 1,000 - $10,000 targeted visitors to my funnel

- Improve traffic and conversions until I hit my goal

- Post on social media daily

- Upload daily YouTube videos

- Post on forums daily

- Email list daily

Can you see the difference?

When you aim for a higher goal you start to think bigger and take bigger action.

Now which goal would you rather come up short on ($10,000 per month or $100,000 per month)?

I'm not going to take credit for this idea.

I actually learned this from Grant Cardone, and he calls it the 10x rule. You take a goal and multiply it by 10 and then you multiply your actions by 10. $100 a day becomes $1,000 a day and $3,000 per month becomes $30,000 per month.

I always knew the importance of aiming high and reaching for the moon (so if you don't make it to the moon you'll end up among the stars).

However, I like the way how Grant Cardone actually calls it the 10X rule and if you apply the 10x rule to your business it is pretty much guaranteed that you will hit your goals faster as well as increase your chances of success significantly.
#boss #goal #setting
  • Profile picture of the author C G
    Wow nice post Trey.

    Will definitely check out the 10X rule book.

    Cheers,

    C.G.
    Signature
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10337371].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
      Originally Posted by C G View Post

      Wow nice post Trey.

      Will definitely check out the 10X rule book.

      Cheers,

      C.G.
      Thanks for the feedback.

      The 10X Rule is a book that will really help anyone see goal setting and success in a different light and it's always great to get a different perspective on something.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10340319].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Hanney
    Brilliant post Trey, I couldn't agree more. I do a lot of work on Goal setting and use a combination of suggestions from John Assaraf and Jack Canfield who as I am sure you are aware a thought and industry leaders in the self improvement sector.

    Always set goals higher than you first think you can achieve because if you can change your mindset and are willing to put steps in place and take action to achieve these goals the 10X is definitely achievable!

    On a side note, nice simple explanation of some sale funnel suggestions!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10340379].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeff Schuman
      Multiplying your actions by 10 is the hard part. Many people will write down what they are going to do, but end up giving up quickly because of how much work it takes. That is the sad reality of failing in business and life.
      Signature
      Jeff Schuman - Blog Writer For Hire! Buy affordable, quality niche blog articles. Fast turnaround.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10341278].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
        Originally Posted by Jeff Schuman View Post

        Multiplying your actions by 10 is the hard part. Many people will write down what they are going to do, but end up giving up quickly because of how much work it takes. That is the sad reality of failing in business and life.
        This is true. I believe the level action we take is a muscle that needs to be developed. Not everyone is going to be able to embrace the 10x mentality right away but, you can always work your way up.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10341400].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Gandolfo85
          I love the concept of being much bolder than your starting goals and I think that, in that way, you're going to be more creative and productive than you previously thought possible.
          Signature
          ***SUPER NEWBIE FRIENDLY***
          Discover HERE The EASIEST Money Maker EVER
          [GUARANTEED SALES]
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10350789].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
            Originally Posted by Gandolfo85 View Post

            I love the concept of being much bolder than your starting goals and I think that, in that way, you're going to be more creative and productive than you previously thought possible.
            Yeah man it's a pretty simple and obvious concept but it's easier said than done. Personally I have to constantly remind myself that even though I take daily action it easy to settle for what feels comfortable. It's important to always push and challenge ourselves so we can achieve bigger and greater goals in business and in life.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10352884].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author heruma
              10x Goal setting plan need a very different kind of mindset.
              The first is to acknowledge that you cannot it alone.
              You have to create a team. Decide what your best skill sets are, narrow it down to things that you cannot let other people do. For all the things need to be done, but you have little skill of or not worth your time or a secret that you cannot tell others, outsource them or hire staff to them done.

              Remember, you need people who are good at execution not giving you ideas.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10381076].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
                Originally Posted by heruma View Post

                10x Goal setting plan need a very different kind of mindset.
                The first is to acknowledge that you cannot it alone.
                You have to create a team. Decide what your best skill sets are, narrow it down to things that you cannot let other people do. For all the things need to be done, but you have little skill of or not worth your time or a secret that you cannot tell others, outsource them or hire staff to them done.

                Remember, you need people who are good at execution not giving you ideas.
                Good advice. I agree it can be tough to try to do everything on your own. Personally, I think it's good to try everything on your own first, and then decide what things you want to outsource. Outsourcing can be very beneficial, but if you don't make sure you find the right people for the right job, it could become a nightmare.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10390681].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
      Originally Posted by Paul Hanney View Post

      Brilliant post Trey, I couldn't agree more. I do a lot of work on Goal setting and use a combination of suggestions from John Assaraf and Jack Canfield who as I am sure you are aware a thought and industry leaders in the self improvement sector.

      Always set goals higher than you first think you can achieve because if you can change your mindset and are willing to put steps in place and take action to achieve these goals the 10X is definitely achievable!

      On a side note, nice simple explanation of some sale funnel suggestions!
      Yeah man the 10x goal setting style isn't for everybody but you can't knock it until you try it. However, you can always start small and work your way up to 10x actions. Without action nothing is going to happen so it only makes sense to take as much consistent action as possible.

      Haha, yeah I know somebody was going to notice that I gave a way some nice ideas for a sales funnel that could be the foundation for a profitable business.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10341398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author macatum
    Great post. Thanks.
    Multiply it for 10 looks like instruction for action on the picture:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10365484].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author allanrsm
    Great article and a great reality check when it comes to setting goals! Firstly decide what we want...the bigger the better, as the growth capacity in attaining our goals is where the real reward comes in!

    Then take action, this is where disaster is often encountered....inaction! People look at their goals and never move from the wishful thinking phase to creating reality as they see how much effort it will take and the shy away from the challenge or procrastination kicks in and all goal setting activities will happen "tomorrow" which never comes!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10379086].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
      Originally Posted by allanrsm View Post

      Great article and a great reality check when it comes to setting goals! Firstly decide what we want...the bigger the better, as the growth capacity in attaining our goals is where the real reward comes in!

      Then take action, this is where disaster is often encountered....inaction! People look at their goals and never move from the wishful thinking phase to creating reality as they see how much effort it will take and the shy away from the challenge or procrastination kicks in and all goal setting activities will happen "tomorrow" which never comes!
      Yes, success requires a shift in the mind. Fear needs to become an indicator of what we must do and not what we must shy away from. Instead of running away from fear, a shift needs to be made, where you understand that you must move towards fear. Most of the things we fear are not scary at all.

      It's one thing to be afraid of a vicious lion, or a venomous snake, but to be afraid of taking action, failing, or making mistakes when working towards your goals is just ridiculous. Overcoming fear and challenges is what leads to success. If you're always trying to avoid your problems, you will never experience what it's like to overcome obstacles and achieve real success.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10382189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kherk Roldan
    Gotcha! you hit it again Mr. Trey.

    I also like Grant Cardone training but just started from the 10x Rule,

    I want to finish the course however i have a lot of project for my clients as a VA so it takes me how many days to finish it. I cannot focus with the course.

    what would you recommend?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10379110].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
      Originally Posted by Kherk Roldan View Post

      Gotcha! you hit it again Mr. Trey.

      I also like Grant Cardone training but just started from the 10x Rule,

      I want to finish the course however i have a lot of project for my clients as a VA so it takes me how many days to finish it. I cannot focus with the course.

      what would you recommend?
      Read it 15 minutes a day. That's what I do. I was able to read the whole Bible front-to-back just by reading 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night every day.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10385499].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kherk Roldan
        Originally Posted by Trey Morgan View Post

        Read it 15 minutes a day. That's what I do. I was able to read the whole Bible front-to-back just by reading 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night every day.
        thank you for that insight bro. and again i made another excuses
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10386689].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author unknowncat
    10x sounds good if you can ride that mindset, lots of goal setting tips out there suggest keeping goals realistic and attainable. Shooting for the moon is great but with a .22 and only so many bullets maybe the street lights are better? It's great if 10x works for you then work it! I know I should aim higher I do like my goals to be achieved though, so sometimes I set goals that I clearly know I can achieve, so that I can get to that 'I did it' feeling. Perhaps I just need to believe that I can do ten times the original estimate?

    10x can help to think big for sure, I'll have to give it a try. Great OP
    Signature

    Mastermind Groups Platform .. plantdreams.org .. public beta, partners wanted

    a social network w/ Coaching / Projects / Goals / Habits / Crowdfunding / Team Building / Alt.Payments

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10384773].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Priki
    Originally Posted by Trey Morgan View Post

    Well, one of the main reasons why we don't reach are goals is because we take the minimum amount of action that we think will help us move towards our goals.
    I agree and disagree with you and I will tell you why...

    You are right that one the main reasons is that we don't take enough action so we can reach our goal, but most of the people have visions about how the goal should look like, but they forgot to find the real path to that goal.

    Sometime giving the maximum amount of yourself and walking the wrong path will kill you. If you never have a vision about how would the journey would look like, you will never clearly see your goal.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10385159].message }}

Trending Topics