What's Your #1 Single Biggest Challenge To Starting or Maintaining An Early Morning Routine?

by astout 28 replies
I've been able to successfully wake up at 5:00 am for the past three years, not because I had to, but because I wanted to make big changes in my life in the areas of personal growth, development, and fulfillment. It started as an experiment, but I quickly found out about the powerful effects of having an early morning routine. As I've spoken with people about my morning schedule, most think I'm crazy. It's hard to convince others about the benefits that come from making this kind of commitment, so I'm wondering what what the biggest challenges are for others in starting this beneficial practice.
#mind warriors #biggest #challenge #early #maintaining #morning #routine #single #starting
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Cancelling my subscription to Alcoholics Anomalous.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11061810].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mahmood99
    Actually being able to wake up early, what does your morning routine consist of?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11061940].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author astout
      Yes, actually being able to wake up is a huge and obvious challenge I've found that you have to be prepared with a plan for all the challenges you will face to waking up. For example, I set an alarm on my Fitbit I wear each nigh and then a separate alarm in the next room that goes off two minutes later because I know waking up is hard for me sometimes. If I don't get up within two minutes, I have to walk to the next room. Another thing I know is that if I just start moving, I'll slowly wake up, so I make sure to walk a little bit further into the next room where I grab a toothbrush and brush my teeth. At this point I'm finally starting to wake up instead of feeling like I just want to crawl back into bed. In the winter time, I also have a portable space heater that's on a timer that starts warming up the room before my alarm goes off so that I don't feel so cold and want to jump right back under the covers. Basically, you have to anticipate what things hold you back and plan how your going to overcome them or else the challenges will win most of the time and you'll lose motivation. Another comment on this thread said that getting to bed early enough was the challenge. It does take discipline but an evening alarm to get to bed and preparing everything you need for the morning before bed has also helped. Basically, you need to know why you are getting up and what it is that your trying to accomplish and be prepared to make the most of your time when your up in the mornings.

      My morning routine has changed several times over the years. I started an official routine after listening to some self improvement courses by Tony Robbins. He talks a lot about how we associate a certain meaning to the events in our lives. Most people associate negativity to waking up. I wanted to associate a passion for getting up instead of dreading it...and so the journey began. It truly sucked getting up early sometimes to spend a little extra time focused on improving my outlook and feelings on life but it didn't take too long before I started feeling great in the mornings. A while later I read a book called "the mirical morning" by Hal Elrod. In the book he outlines some basic things to do in the morning such as silent meditation, exercise, affirmations, keeping a journal, and reading. All of these things contribute to daily growth. I've put these into practices and found them to really solidify my own passion for improvement and keeping myself growing and learning new things. Today, my morning routine consists of exercise first thing, followed by a review of my written goals, then a brief plan of action items for the day, followed by 10 min of meditation, affirmations, and a quick journal entry of what I consider a win for the previous day and one thing I learned from the previous day. All in all, it has been super helpful to get a couple extra hours in the morning to 1) focus on improving myself 2) start the day with energy and passion for living and 3) having time to work toward my personal goals. I work a full time job that is fairly demanding, have five kids, and a wonderful wife that I want to spend more time with, so in order to make more time for family, mornings have become both my personal time and when I can take some time for side projects without taking time away from the family time which is when everyone is awake...

      What is your interest in starting a morning routine? If you were to start one, what would be the reason for it? What would you be trying to accomplish?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062523].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mahmood99
        Originally Posted by astout View Post

        Yes, actually being able to wake up is a huge and obvious challenge I've found that you have to be prepared with a plan for all the challenges you will face to waking up. For example, I set an alarm on my Fitbit I wear each nigh and then a separate alarm in the next room that goes off two minutes later because I know waking up is hard for me sometimes. If I don't get up within two minutes, I have to walk to the next room. Another thing I know is that if I just start moving, I'll slowly wake up, so I make sure to walk a little bit further into the next room where I grab a toothbrush and brush my teeth. At this point I'm finally starting to wake up instead of feeling like I just want to crawl back into bed. In the winter time, I also have a portable space heater that's on a timer that starts warming up the room before my alarm goes off so that I don't feel so cold and want to jump right back under the covers. Basically, you have to anticipate what things hold you back and plan how your going to overcome them or else the challenges will win most of the time and you'll lose motivation. Another comment on this thread said that getting to bed early enough was the challenge. It does take discipline but an evening alarm to get to bed and preparing everything you need for the morning before bed has also helped. Basically, you need to know why you are getting up and what it is that your trying to accomplish and be prepared to make the most of your time when your up in the mornings.

        My morning routine has changed several times over the years. I started an official routine after listening to some self improvement courses by Tony Robbins. He talks a lot about how we associate a certain meaning to the events in our lives. Most people associate negativity to waking up. I wanted to associate a passion for getting up instead of dreading it...and so the journey began. It truly sucked getting up early sometimes to spend a little extra time focused on improving my outlook and feelings on life but it didn't take too long before I started feeling great in the mornings. A while later I read a book called "the mirical morning" by Hal Elrod. In the book he outlines some basic things to do in the morning such as silent meditation, exercise, affirmations, keeping a journal, and reading. All of these things contribute to daily growth. I've put these into practices and found them to really solidify my own passion for improvement and keeping myself growing and learning new things. Today, my morning routine consists of exercise first thing, followed by a review of my written goals, then a brief plan of action items for the day, followed by 10 min of meditation, affirmations, and a quick journal entry of what I consider a win for the previous day and one thing I learned from the previous day. All in all, it has been super helpful to get a couple extra hours in the morning to 1) focus on improving myself 2) start the day with energy and passion for living and 3) having time to work toward my personal goals. I work a full time job that is fairly demanding, have five kids, and a wonderful wife that I want to spend more time with, so in order to make more time for family, mornings have become both my personal time and when I can take some time for side projects without taking time away from the family time which is when everyone is awake...

        What is your interest in starting a morning routine? If you were to start one, what would be the reason for it? What would you be trying to accomplish?
        Thank you, very detailed and lots to learn from, have you tried to time your sleeping patterns? So when you wake up, you're not tired.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11063363].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author astout
          After a while it has become habit, and I don't feel excessively tired anymore. I've heard that if you wake up at the end of a sleep cycle it's much easier to wake up opposed to waking up in the middle of a sleep cycle. Either way, I think that once it becomes a habit, it's much easier to do consistently.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11064006].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    getting home early enough...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11061967].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by hardraysnight View Post

      getting home early enough...
      Yes, this is getting pretty silly.

      I got up at about 4.15 am to go to a Craft market every week a few years back, and when l got home, basically collapsed, then after 1 or more hours sleep, tried to recover.

      Apart from watching Thunderbirds, or hearing the birds chirp, this is getting into Workaholic territory, or why territory.

      This is a bit like a retiree getting up excessively early, because it is a habit, or because they are too proud to sleep in.

      A bit like a guy l read about that was too proud to accept a gov, handout and kept working, he basically died in his 50's, so l guess he showed them.

      Wouldn't do much for a relationship either, sleep in Sunday, nope, frickin 5am again.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062064].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

        Yes, this is getting pretty silly.

        I got up at about 4.15 am to go to a Craft market every week a few years back, and when l got home, basically collapsed, then after 1 or more hours sleep, tried to recover.

        Apart from watching Thunderbirds, or hearing the birds chirp, this is getting into Workaholic territory, or why territory.

        This is a bit like a retiree getting up excessively early, because it is a habit, or because they are too proud to sleep in.

        A bit like a guy l read about that was too proud to accept a gov, handout and kept working, he basically died in his 50's, so l guess he showed them.

        Wouldn't do much for a relationship either, sleep in Sunday, nope, frickin 5am again.

        i tend to wake up when i am done sleeping . but working when and how i do i can easily work untill 1 or 2 am and that will be the norm for the next 6 months .. so waking up to early is counter productive .. though i did wake up at 4 am today . i will probably get a long nap in after noon time

        where i come from.. people had to be up by 5 am in order to commute into work before the highways got to jammed up ..

        so i don't see any real virtue in waking up early ..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062123].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
          Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

          i tend to wake up when i am done sleeping . but working when and how i do i can easily work untill 1 or 2 am and that will be the norm for the next 6 months .. so waking up to early is counter productive .. though i did wake up at 4 am today . i will probably get a long nap in after noon time

          where i come from.. people had to be up by 5 am in order to commute into work before the highways got to jammed up ..

          so i don't see any real virtue in waking up early ..
          Yes, my neighbor drives off to work each day at 6am, l know since his addiction to revving the car wakes me occasionally.

          This is the same guy that l overheard one day, that tried internet marketing for a week and gave up, lol.

          I have been at it for 9 years, and will be able to make a lot more than the standard income by next year, and it will be a 4 hour workweek.

          Put in 4 hours on Monday and head for a tropical island for a week, while l make more money.

          Yep, getting up at 5am might help, but staying up all night, (Star Wars Movie Marathon) would also, and it removes the torture aspect.

          Staring into the abyss, and persisting til you make it, will change you plenty, and jumping out of planes, getting up excessively early, or blowing a thousand on some motivational idiot, are optional.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062185].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Odahh
            Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

            Yes, my neighbor drives off to work each day at 6am, l know since his addiction to revving the car wakes me occasionally.

            This is the same guy that l overheard one day, that tried internet marketing for a week and gave up, lol.

            I have been at it for 9 years, and will be able to make a lot more than the standard income by next year, and it will be a 4 hour workweek.

            Put in 4 hours on Monday and head for a tropical island for a week, while l make more money.

            Yep, getting up at 5am might help, but staying up all night, (Star Wars Movie Marathon) would also, and it removes the torture aspect.

            Staring into the abyss, and persisting til you make it, will change you plenty, and jumping out of planes, getting up excessively early, or blowing a thousand on some motivational idiot, are optional.

            you can always do a hangover movie marathon.. haha i work on the vegas strip in an alan from hangover costume .. so i have to be out there when the weather is right and the crowds are happy or drinking lots of overpriced adult beverages ..

            if you are a creative person and want to work with near zero interuption.. either work late at night or very earl in the morning or at a time that can qualify as both ..

            it will be 110 degree f or 43 c in two months i won't even start working untill 7 or 8 pm when the sun is going down ..

            doing this broke me out of many of the wage earner mindset thing people do not even realize they have and right now im work 9 to 14 hour days well depending on how much beer i drink the days end up being shorter haha ..

            anyhow . i am looking for an online business right now so i can go live in central America for a while and get away from the western wage earner mindset where busyness is akin to godliness lol..Love being from the USA it just way to expensive to do anything fun in this Free country ..lol
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062219].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
              Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

              you can always do a hangover movie marathon.. haha i work on the vegas strip in an alan from hangover costume .. so i have to be out there when the weather is right and the crowds are happy or drinking lots of overpriced adult beverages ..

              doing this broke me out of many of the wage earner mindset thing people do not even realize they have and right now im work 9 to 14 hour days well depending on how much beer i drink the days end up being shorter haha ..

              anyhow . i am looking for an online business right now so i can go live in central America for a while and get away from the western wage earner mindset where busyness is akin to godliness lol..Love being from the USA it just way to expensive to do anything fun in this Free country ..lol
              You look like this guy?


              Looks like Frank Kern after he got all of his surfboards stolen, lol.

              Deadpool, (read the description) loved that movie, l might have to watch some, any good?

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062241].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author astout
            Your right, early morning is not for everyone, but like you said "persist until you make it" is something that is best achieved when you have a diligent routine of some kind that helps you stay persistent. It doesn't necessarily matter what time of day you set aside for this routine, but it is important that you set aside the time. Early morning is typically good because it is the start to most people's day and a time when most other people are asleep so there can sometimes be less distractions. I know this early morning routine has been best for me personally, but what things have you done to be successful at accomplishing the 4 hour work week that you are close to having?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062549].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author astout
          Makes sense. I think The important thing here is not necessarily the time you wake up but more about the routine you have when you do wake up.

          What kind of goals are you trying to reach? Would changing your sleep habits or having a set routine to manage your time differently help you achieve those goals?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062528].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author astout
        I definitely don't believe that a morning routine should burn you out. The whole point of the morning routine is the opposite. If your going to wake up early, go to bed early. Also, don't just get up early to get up, you need to have a purpose for it. Personally, I have a full time job, a wife, and five children that I want to give my full attention to when I'm home from work. I also want to grow my side business, stay physically fit, and have a life outside of work. For me getting up a couple hours early and managing my time well makes it worth it because it helps me achieve my goals.

        Early morning isn't everyone's thing, (which is fine) but if you had a couple extra hours in the day and knew how to manage them well, what else could you accomplish in your life? Creating a morning routine for yourself really helps these kind of changes to take place. Even if it's 20-30 mins, doing just a couple things a day to improve your outlook, plan your day, and keep healthy adds up and is worth it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062543].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author astout
      Makes sense...an early morning routine is not always something that can be done if you work late. However, a morning routine can be done at whatever time you wake up. Have you found a morning routine that works well? What challenges do you face with having a general routine of setting aside time for yourself to help you achieve your goals?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062554].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by astout View Post

        Makes sense...an early morning routine is not always something that can be done if you work late. However, a morning routine can be done at whatever time you wake up. Have you found a morning routine that works well? What challenges do you face with having a general routine of setting aside time for yourself to help you achieve your goals?
        unles you have some type of real skill learning baked into your routine and not just motivation and self improvement gunk ..a hard routine can limit your long term growth if you are not carefull.

        on a routine basis you should tweak and change the routine and test what works best for you .

        i have rapid cycling bi polar disorder and i am highly sensitive to weather changes ..positive thinking , motivation all that blah blah blah stuff ..right now im close to being awake for 24 hours and it almost 3 am..

        maybe you are trying to run a company with employees or build a start up.. while you are on the pat to building great riches or wealth or hundred millionaire or billionaire status .

        my long term goals are to maintain and improve my health.. and achieve greater mental well being..as well as learn new skills and overall do what i need to do to enjoy my life more ..

        and i do not need to make a lot of money to live the life i want..

        are you trying to build a solid morning routine because you want to.. or because it is supposed to be what you need to do too succeed ..and impress others ..

        later this year i hope to have the morning routine of waking up in a place in central america ..a nice pretty lake and watch the sun rise over a volcano while i eat my breakfast and drink my coffee then maybe jump in the lake for a swim or go kayaking for a bit every morning . get massages every few day.. soak in a hot tub before going to bed ..

        and it can be done for under 2,000 usd a month so i can pull that off the internet somehow .. haha
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062659].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
          Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

          unles you have some type of real skill learning baked into your routine and not just motivation and self improvement gunk ..a hard routine can limit your long term growth if you are not carefull.

          on a routine basis you should tweak and change the routine and test what works best for you .

          i have rapid cycling bi polar disorder and i am highly sensitive to weather changes ..positive thinking , motivation all that blah blah blah stuff ..right now im close to being awake for 24 hours and it almost 3 am..

          maybe you are trying to run a company with employees or build a start up.. while you are on the pat to building great riches or wealth or hundred millionaire or billionaire status .

          my long term goals are to maintain and improve my health.. and achieve greater mental well being..as well as learn new skills and overall do what i need to do to enjoy my life more ..

          and i do not need to make a lot of money to live the life i want..

          are you trying to build a solid morning routine because you want to.. or because it is supposed to be what you need to do too succeed ..and impress others ..

          later this year i hope to have the morning routine of waking up in a place in central america ..a nice pretty lake and watch the sun rise over a volcano while i eat my breakfast and drink my coffee then maybe jump in the lake for a swim or go kayaking for a bit every morning . get massages every few day.. soak in a hot tub before going to bed ..

          and it can be done for under 2,000 usd a month so i can pull that off the internet somehow .. haha
          Yes, maybe he should sleep on a plank of wood, and wake up to someone on YT saying repeatedly, "Do It", with an open window in arctic conditions.

          You will probably die in your 50's, but at least you burnt out in style.


          I exercise as well, several times a week, and have a healthy diet, but am also relatively lazy. Although putting almost 10 hours a day into my business so l can really slack off in style next year, is something that l am prepared to do.

          But waking up excessively early because some git, tells you to, geesh, unnecessary to say the least.

          Birds also get up early and only survive for 10 years, even with being out in all weather, drinking water, and munching on worms, berry's and grains all day.

          Maybe l should write a book, "How to be a Grumpy, old Bas***d, by going to bed early and rising with the sun, then trying to meditate without going to sleep, and spending the rest of your day, half asleep and attacking anything that moves".

          Sounds like a best seller!


          The fist chapter would read...

          Chapter one, Why?

          Well, you have bought my s**t, so l guess that l have to crap on about something meaningful and deep to su,.....ahem, motivate you to read it all, before throwing it in the box with the rest, and eventually coming to the full realization that it didn't help much and flogging it at the local market.

          Oh, here goes, if your brand new car gets a scratch and then your wife also gets a cut, then life is still good and your clothes will still dry in the sun, but spiders will not dare walk on your car anymore.

          Now go away for a fortnight and try to extract some meaning from that general gobbly-gook, and apply it to making money, or getting a box of crayons whichever comes first.

          Etc......


          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062679].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    haha man that good.

    although i enjoy my life right now there are many ways i can make it better ..i have got some of my goals .. but my values changed so others did not fit anymore ..and personally i don't have to work so hard right now ..yes the fact i work every day anywhere from 6-14 hours.. out dealing with huge numbers of people ..

    the way i haverefined my methods mean i do not really need to work hard.. the easier i make it look the better things work..

    i eat well when i am working drink to much beer .. lol .. i only drink when i work because i don't making money when i am drinking and not working.. but i am looking for the next thing because i'm getting tired of feeling i have to be drunk to earn money ..

    Right now my life is so out of the box and even other people who work in costumes are like.. " i wish i could sit around drinking and have people come up to me with money in their hands asking for pictures " haha

    im looking for the next thing to do that i enjoy ..but can also travel and make money doing ..

    back to morning routine and onto what this thread is about .

    on a personal level.. before you structure your day.. you have to be doing the thing you really enjoy doing then you can build day to day routines to support and give you the most potential effective physical and mental clearity when doing the thing ..

    if a rigid structured day works do it .. but the clock is an artificial method of tracking time..you could have three days a week thatyou are charged to go and can do the thing 20 hours a day.. and then go the other 4 days a week and only do ir 2-3 hours and get everything else in orde for the crush it days ..

    my crush it days tend to be friday saturday and sunday

    if the thing you are doing benifits from ridged rituals then to get the most out of it have at it

    i'm slightly sleep deprived right not and all the imaginary sheep died from exhaustion i had them run by to count them so many time ..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062705].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      haha man that good.

      although i enjoy my life right now there are many ways i can make it better ..i have got some of my goals .. but my values changed so others did not fit anymore ..and personally i don't have to work so hard right now ..yes the fact i work every day anywhere from 6-14 hours.. out dealing with huge numbers of people ..

      the way i haverefined my methods mean i do not really need to work hard.. the easier i make it look the better things work..

      i eat well when i am working drink to much beer .. lol .. i only drink when i work because i don't making money when i am drinking and not working.. but i am looking for the next thing because i'm getting tired of feeling i have to be drunk to earn money ..

      Right now my life is so out of the box and even other people who work in costumes are like.. " i wish i could sit around drinking and have people come up to me with money in their hands asking for pictures " haha

      im looking for the next thing to do that i enjoy ..but can also travel and make money doing ..

      back to morning routine and onto what this thread is about .

      on a personal level.. before you structure your day.. you have to be doing the thing you really enjoy doing then you can build day to day routines to support and give you the most potential effective physical and mental clearity when doing the thing ..

      if a rigid structured day works do it .. but the clock is an artificial method of tracking time..you could have three days a week thatyou are charged to go and can do the thing 20 hours a day.. and then go the other 4 days a week and only do ir 2-3 hours and get everything else in orde for the crush it days ..

      my crush it days tend to be friday saturday and sunday

      if the thing you are doing benifits from ridged rituals then to get the most out of it have at it

      i'm slightly sleep deprived right not and all the imaginary sheep died from exhaustion i had them run by to count them so many time ..
      Yep, had a look at your character, hope that you don't use a real baby, lol.

      And l can understand you using that movie, it all seems to be in Vegas.

      Well, that Ocean 12, was in Vegas as well, but not very funny characters.

      An online natural progression would be to put it on Youtube videos, or sell them to subscribers only.

      If you are doing well, on the street l am sure that there might be some potential there.

      Good luck.

      PS and remember if you want to attract the attention of an attractive women, just polish your car with a cat.

      Kitten even better.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062712].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JayKay Dowdall
    Just thought I'd post my two cents since I was talking with a friend about this exact topic a few days. I'm no "guru" but there were HUGE changes in my business after I started adopting an early morning routine. Here's what I do:

    1) BEFORE I go to bed, I set out my clothes for the next day, and put them in the next room (I usually where the same thing all the time anyway since it's just easier).

    2) I wake up at 4:00am and use my phone as my alarm. I put it on the floor next to the door and the vibration on my wooden floors is enough to wake me up

    3) I immediately get out of the bed, grab my phone, and put my clothes on in the next room. TIP: Leave your bedroom as soon as you wake up.

    4) Contrary to what other people say works for them, I actually play a video game next. Usually 30mins of FIFA or something. The backlight on the TV simulates daylight and has a big difference.

    5) Walk outside for 30mins (or go to the gym) for some fresh air.

    6) Shower + coffee. Sitting at my desk by 5:30 at the latest, and then just crushing it for the next 5hrs. I get most of my work done for the day before lunch.

    If you have problems getting up in the morning here's the 3 biggest things that made a difference for me:

    1) No screen time 60mins before bed. No TV, no phone, no tablet, computer. NOTHING.

    2) Go to bed at the same time every night and get at least 6hrs sleep (8 is too much for me)

    3) No caffeine or sugar 3hrs before bed.

    After I started doing this I was able to grow my business (offline consulting) and start an entirely separate business as well. #productivity

    Alex Becker made a video about something similar you should check out:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11062986].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by JayKay Dowdall View Post

      Just thought I'd post my two cents since I was talking with a friend about this exact topic a few days. I'm no "guru" but there were HUGE changes in my business after I started adopting an early morning routine. Here's what I do:

      1) BEFORE I go to bed, I set out my clothes for the next day, and put them in the next room (I usually where the same thing all the time anyway since it's just easier).

      2) I wake up at 4:00am and use my phone as my alarm. I put it on the floor next to the door and the vibration on my wooden floors is enough to wake me up

      3) I immediately get out of the bed, grab my phone, and put my clothes on in the next room. TIP: Leave your bedroom as soon as you wake up.

      4) Contrary to what other people say works for them, I actually play a video game next. Usually 30mins of FIFA or something. The backlight on the TV simulates daylight and has a big difference.

      5) Walk outside for 30mins (or go to the gym) for some fresh air.

      6) Shower + coffee. Sitting at my desk by 5:30 at the latest, and then just crushing it for the next 5hrs. I get most of my work done for the day before lunch.

      If you have problems getting up in the morning here's the 3 biggest things that made a difference for me:

      1) No screen time 60mins before bed. No TV, no phone, no tablet, computer. NOTHING.

      2) Go to bed at the same time every night and get at least 6hrs sleep (8 is too much for me)

      3) No caffeine or sugar 3hrs before bed.

      After I started doing this I was able to grow my business (offline consulting) and start an entirely separate business as well. #productivity

      Alex Becker made a video about something similar you should check out:
      The early bird, gets the,......ummm.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11063233].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

        The early bird, gets the,......ummm.

        Ben bFra nklin was vthe original motivational auther in the 1700. he probably wrote that .. then it was one of the adamsa's or another historic figure in american revelution time peiod who was over in erupe with Franklin ..who got real upset that Francklin wasv in france .. with the powerfu;l or influencal people . up all night parting to to gain support for the revolution in the USA ..

        so if the person Ben Franklin who wrote th original motivational or self improvement text ..with early to be early to rise .. makes a man healthy wealthy and wise.. knew how to get sji done partying all night while another influential figure in Us history was was generally wondering wtf
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11063332].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
          Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

          Ben bFra nklin was vthe original motivational auther in the 1700. he probably wrote that .. then it was one of the adamsa's or another historic figure in american revelution time peiod who was over in erupe with Franklin ..who got real upset that Francklin wasv in france .. with the powerfu;l or influencal people . up all night parting to to gain support for the revolution in the USA ..

          so if the person Ben Franklin who wrote th original motivational or self improvement text ..with early to be early to rise .. makes a man healthy wealthy and wise.. knew how to get sji done partying all night while another influential figure in Us history was was generally wondering wtf
          Hmmm, fridge full of beer?

          But you replied, so l give you credit for that, (Benjamin Franklin, took me a while to figure that out).

          But back then, there wasn't much to do after dark, except watch a candle, listen to some family member sing, or read or play some game.

          We are more advanced now, and can at least stare aimlessly into a Smart Phone for hours on end.

          Or watch an endless variety of mind numbing crap on tv.

          I don't want to miss "Farmer wants a Skunk".

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11063378].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Odahh
            Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

            Hmmm, fridge full of beer?

            But you replied, so l give you credit for that, (Benjamin Franklin, took me a while to figure that out).

            But back then, there wasn't much to do after dark, except watch a candle, listen to some family member sing, or read or play some game.

            We are more advanced now, and can at least stare aimlessly into a Smart Phone for hours on end.

            Or watch an endless variety of mind numbing crap on tv.

            I don't want to miss "Farmer wants a Skunk".

            that what i get for posting while way to drunk ..

            Ben Franklin is one of the most influential figure in the past 300 or 400 years..who wasn't a king or a general

            he wrote one of the first self help motivational books ..a good line from it was early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise .

            during the revolutionary way he went to paris with i think John Adams or anoth of the founfing father ..who had read the book of course and was following some of the advice ..

            now to get sh t done Franklin had to be out partying all night with the powerful and privleged he was also chasing around women much younger than him ..

            this apparently baffled Adams or whoever it was because the have found letter or writing complaining about it....because the guy who wrote the first self help book was doing the total opposite of what a good chunk of the advice said to do..

            now its good to have a routine that works for you where you currently live .. but you should at least adjust it seasonally or for the times of the year you customers are more willing to give you money ..or to busy doing things like watching football all weekend or playing golf ..
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11063795].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author speedjohn
    Wake up early in the morning is a good thing and I have tried it a lot but sometimes It makes me feel more sleepy in afternoon or evening even in work area too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11064555].message }}
  • Waking up early even on the weekends. I know I need to get into the habit of waking up the same time every day. But I find it harder to wake up early on the weekends. Maybe because I know if I wake up early, I'd just start looking for something to do and it won't feel like a weekend anymore =(
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11079286].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Gee, all of this crap about waking up early, become rich, and then you can pay someone else to get up early!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11079365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Benjamin Ehinger
    Very awesome that you wake up so early! 5am is my goal, too and I am on my way, but still have some night owl tendencies from the old days to break.

    A morning routine and waking up early are great for success. I have gotten up at 5am and 6am in the past year for about a month both and I am working back there right now. When I am up before the rest of the world my days are calmer, happier and filled with more joy. I take the first hour (regardless of wake up time) to write for myself (instead of clients) and the next half hour for scripture and inspiring books. That's my morning routine and works wonders for me, especially when I am up before the sun.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11167550].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics