A Devious trick almost everyone falls for

13 replies
Here's something you should consider if you're not happy where you're at, in your business or in your personal life:

You are where you want to be right now.

On the surface, that statement prob'ly doesn't set off alarm bells in your noggin.

But it should.,

Everyone (more or less) is exactly where they want to be.

For example:

A lot of people out here are trying to create an Internet business.

They could be doing this for 5 years and are still struggling.

What is the reason for this?

Is it because they are not talented enough; or smart enough?

It's not, right?

In fact, the reason their business is not growing, is because they are getting exactly what they want.

Wait. What?

Lemme explain...

Instead of writing every day, they'll read.

Instead of creating videos, they'll watch videos on YouTube.

Instead of taking action, they study some more.

The latter in all these cases is a WANT; not a NEED.

Almost everyone is where they are right now because they do what they WANT to do, rather than doing what they NEED to do.

You, me, everyone else, are masters at what we do.

We are ALL successful.

Overweight people are successful at getting fat.

Broke people are successful at being broke.

Overwhelmed people are successful at studying.

So today, just take a little time out to congratulate yourself for getting EXACTLY what you wanted out of life.

If you're not happy with your progress, then ask yourself why you chose to not do the things that will move you forward, and instead chose to do the things that didn't.

I know the reason.

So do you.

You chose the path of non growth because that path is easier and less stressful.

That's what procrastination is; a way for your brain to help you avoid stress.

So understand that you ARE a master at what you do.

If that's avoiding doing the work, giving into fear, or just pissing about on validationbook and YouTube, then congrats, you're doing a smashing job of it.

You're getting out of life exactly what you WANT.

It might not be what you NEED.

But it is what you WANT.

Denying this changes nothing.

Ever hear the saying that you should never sell people what they need, because people ONLY buy what they want?

Yes?

Well don't fool yourself into thinking that it JUST applies to sales.

It doesn't.

If people buy what they want, and not what they need, it also means they do what they want, and not what they need.

Accept it right now, that you are exactly where you want to be.

What does that say about your character?

I'm not judging here, believe me. There are many things I want to do that doesn't help me grow, and sometimes I just can't resist.

All I'm pointing out here is that excuses are rarely justified.

Because like it or not, you ARE getting what you want, and usually it's because you push the hard and uncomfortable tasks out into the future. I'll do it later, tomorrow, next week, whatever.

I honestly couldn't tell you how many times I've planned on quitting cigarettes over the years. Usually (nearly always) it'd be a Friday, and I'd make the pledge that "This Coming Monday, I'm off the damn things for good".

Ever been there?

Maybe you haven't with cigarettes, but you have with other bad habits, right?

Anyway, one Friday, I turned to the other half and said, "this time, come Monday, I'm off the smokes, no question".

Inevitably, I was 100% convinced I was going to do it, EVERY SINGLE TIME, because in that moment, that's how I felt.

Optimistic and determined.

Tina (my good half), hearing me babble this nonsense so many times, said, "if you really want to give them up, why not do it right now?"

You know what happened to that optimism, right then, in that very moment?

It vanished, and was replaced with dread; with the feeling I was being deprived of something I have become dependent on; a crux if you will.

"No", I'd usually say, "I'll do it Monday, I need to prepare myself first".

What complete and utter nonsense!

The fact is, how you feel when you say you're going to do something THAT ISN'T RIGHT NOW, is NOT how you'll feel when the time comes around to actually doing it.

In fact, that feeling of being deprived - of feeling a sense of dread if I was to give up the smokes right then - is the same feeling I felt when Monday came around.

After all, when Monday comes, it's still going to be RIGHT NOW, isn't it?

It's just a neat little trick our minds play on us to justify our current situation.

My brain came up with the perfect way for me to get the feeling of giving up smoking, making me feel good, feel motivated, feel like I was going to accomplish something, WITHOUT doing a damn thing.

The little trickster had been doing it for years without me even noticing that I was being tricked.

And always, Monday would turn into Tuesday, or Wednesday, or any bloody day that wasn't TODAY.

Crafty little bugger.

Next time you say you're going to start a new routine, or give up a bad habit on a Monday, or tomorrow, or any time that ISN'T RIGHT NOW, monitor how you feel.

You'll feel good.

Optimistic.

In control.

Like you are going to accomplish something useful.

That's the lie that keeps many stuck in their lives.

Now, if you stop in that moment, and ask yourself, "what if I was to start this new habit, or whatever it is, right now?"

Then monitor how you feel.

You'll notice that you DO NOT feel as good. You don't feel in control. You don't feel optimistic.

That, my friend, is how you REALLY feel about the situation.

That's REALITY.

All else is just a trick you're playing on yourself.

A devious trick almost everyone falls for.

This is why new years resolutions don't stick.

Why would they?

If you can't make the changes right now, it's because you don't feel like it, right now. And if you don't feel like it right now, what makes you think it'll be any different when tomorrow comes round?

It won't.

It can't.

After all, when tomorrow comes, it'll still be RIGHT NOW, which you have already established is NOT THE RIGHT TIME.

The future doesn't exist and it's a fantastic, absolutely brilliant trick our minds play on us so we can feel good while still doing nothing.

You get me?

You will ALWAYS think you'll be better off tomorrow, or next week, or next month, or in 5 - 10 years time.

You were born into a world where "time" existed as a real thing.

It's not.

We made it up to help us categorize and organize things.

If I believe tomorrow (the future) is a separate event to right now, then isn't it plausible to think that when tomorrow comes, things will, or at least can, be better?

And isn't it also plausible to believe that if I don't feel like doing something now, then chances are that come tomorrow, I prob'ly "will" feel like doing it?

That right there, is the illusion.

After all, the future always looks brighter until it inevitably turns back into the NOW.

And let's not forget, it's the NOW that's the problem.

It's the NOW in which you don't want to put the work in.

It's the NOW that gets pushed forward.

"Tomorrow is another day" - we hear people say this all the bloody time. But we never, ever question whether this is true, and because we never question it, we make "automatic" decisions on an almost daily basis to put off things we don't feel like doing, until a later time.

Right now, and the future, are the same event, not separate events.

Tomorrow is a word, a concept, it doesn't mean anything.

It's can be quite silly to put things off now, until later, simply because "later" only exists as a placeholder for when it occupies the "now" again. And funnily enough you actually end up in the same place you so desperately tried to get away from.

The future doesn't exist. The only thing that exists is now and our memory of what happened in the past. But because we invented the idea of a future, we're the only animal that realized we can affect the future by what we do today - David Suzuki
#arguably #biggest #dreams #killer
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    I know that you are watering your own petulas here, (sig) but still a great message.

    I have a business idea, (not flyers) that has pretty much proven itself, over a week or so, but there is still reluctance on my part, to throw some of my money at it, so 6 months goes down to 3.

    Or l draw some life changing money, and or income from it sooner.

    There is fear, (eventhough there shouldn't be) and squirming in my chair, and reluctance, but l also had that when l first tested it, and it purred, so yeah, l am just being silly.

    I have also thrown some of my flyer profits at it, and the rest is going into promotion of my flyer business, but the rest of my money is sitting idle, so, feel the fear and do it anyway, rings true.

    Comfortable where l am, not really, but thanks for the pep talk.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294610].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    i will disagree but agree ..it's not based on what you want or even need..shit happens stuff goes wrong ..the situation or problems you have serve you in some way ..

    you would not walk up to someone hospital bed .. wait or i mean if a friend in their 30's or 40's called you up and told you they had a type of cancer ..and more than 50 percent of people you know will develop some form of cancer in their lifetime ..

    will you ask them why they want the cancer .. but thankfully most of the people will survive but at great expense ..so when they are impoverished after loosing income from being sick..and paying their pile of medical bills ..going to ask them why they want to be in so much debt..or in poverty ..

    now say you where told you had cancer from smokes ..a 31 year old friend of mine learned he had esophogus cancer from a combination of smoking dipping and heavy drinking ...

    now his early life was rather messed up ..i know he doesn't want the cancer ..but the cancer serves him ..he either takes care of his health .. and goes through treatments .. or the cancer kills him and removes him from a pretty miserable life . which the heavy drinking and drug use served to numb himself to .

    the smoking serves you in some way ..now the trick with using the future .. and the trick you play on yourself .. is you are not going to imagine laying in a hospital bed after having part of your lung removed and having your wife ..and current or future children and other family members around ..

    do you want that ..that is a possible or probable future of you smoking .. some form of cancer ..copd or asthma ..

    so you are right there is a trick the mind plays on us ..it convinces you can put of changes you need to make now ..until tomorrow ..

    I do not want to be where i am now.. but i realize how the problems i am going through now serve me in the long term ..and there where easily about 10,000 other ways i could have screwed up in my life up to this point ..so avoiding that other nasty trick the mind play on you ..where you think if you just could go back and do this thing or that thing differently ..
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295541].message }}
    • Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

      I know that you are watering your own petulas here, (sig) but still a great message.

      But But But... What?

      Message has nothing to do with my sig.

      Has yours?

      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      i will disagree but agree ..it's not based on what you want or even need..shit happens stuff goes wrong ..the situation or problems you have serve you in some way ..

      ..
      Is this a health forum, or a marketing forum?

      Can you pull your head out of your arse for two seconds to understand that what I have said in the post has NOTHING to do with cancer, or aids, or bloody piles ffs.

      It's a marketing forum.

      The post applies to ANYONE who's struggling with overwhelm, procrastination, "looking for quick success instead of creating a business" and all that stuff ,as well as people who make poor choices in their personal life that affects their business.

      This, I thought was completely obvious.

      If you want to bring cancer in to it, then go ahead, but CLEARLY that wasn't, and ISN'T the point of the thread.

      Jesus bloody Christ!
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296006].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    you where wrong about how obvious it was ..as a big chunk of it was regurgitated law of attraction bantor ..

    and your no newbie ..so you should understand when you start out a post with..the situation you are in is because you want to be in it ..

    you are going to get a response ..mention cancer or many other conditions ..

    again your ovious message was obviously not so obvious
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296068].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      you where wrong about how obvious it was ..as a big chunk of it was regurgitated law of attraction bantor ..

      and your no newbie ..so you should understand when you start out a post with..the situation you are in is because you want to be in it ..

      you are going to get a response ..mention cancer or many other conditions ..

      again your ovious message was obviously not so obvious
      Where in my post did I say anything about cancer?

      What I wrote has nothing to do with "law of attraction" nonsense either.

      Did you even read it, or did you just skim it?

      There are people born into poverty, born with illnesses that didn't "want" these thing. Clearly I wasn't talking about that.

      Clearly.

      Should I have to point it out that that wasn't what I was saying?

      Surely not.

      C'mon.

      Context.

      Are people struggling in life and business because they do what they "need" or "should" do, or is it because they do what they "want" to do?

      Seriously, how clearer can this be?
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    there are a lot of reasons why people are struggling in life .. for the most part there is conditioning for 70 percent of the population or more to act on a very short term basis.. day to day week to week month to month .

    so getting back to your post and why i brought cancer in ..

    the trick you are talking about is real.. there is a pleasure in making a decision to do something in the near future that can be done today .. so there is pain actually quitting today ..and pleasure tricking yourself you can or will quit ..

    because you mentioned smoking and a long term consequence of smoking is a high chance of developing one of several type of cancers or other health condition ..and then there is a daily cost to smoking so you can calculate what you spend on cigs in a year .. but by only seeing what you pay per pack.. you get to trick yourself out of seing the long term financial consequences .

    now poor people or low income people tend to smoke more than wealthy people , buy more lotto tickets or scratch offs , and eat poor quality foods or highly processed foods . and spen a higher percent of there income on alcohol .

    not necessarily because they want to.. but because they feel that they have no other choice .

    they are trying to get rich fast or lose weight fast or look for amazing ne pills to solve problems over night . because there is no long term view of what they really want.

    ok i was not suggesting you are likly to be poor because you smoke..
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296754].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      there are a lot of reasons why people are struggling in life .. for the most part there is conditioning for 70 percent of the population or more to act on a very short term basis.. day to day week to week month to month .
      What has this got to do with anything I wrote about?

      "Oh, I'm conditioned to be like this, I guess my fate has been decided for me"

      Nonsense.

      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      so getting back to your post and why i brought cancer in ..

      the trick you are talking about is real.. there is a pleasure in making a decision to do something in the near future that can be done today .. so there is pain actually quitting today ..and pleasure tricking yourself you can or will quit ..

      because you mentioned smoking and a long term consequence of smoking is a high chance of developing one of several type of cancers or other health condition ..and then there is a daily cost to smoking so you can calculate what you spend on cigs in a year .. but by only seeing what you pay per pack.. you get to trick yourself out of seing the long term financial consequences .
      Seriously, do you think before you start writing or do you just bang out anything that comes to mind?

      My story had nothing to do with money, and nothing to do with illness, and EVERYTHING to do with the difference between how I feel in the MOMENT, and expecting that feeling to be the same in the FUTURE.

      Unbelievable!

      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      now poor people or low income people tend to smoke more than wealthy people , buy more lotto tickets or scratch offs , and eat poor quality foods or highly processed foods . and spen a higher percent of there income on alcohol .

      not necessarily because they want to.. but because they feel that they have no other choice .
      People choose to do what they do, because it's what they WANT to do, regardless of their situation.

      Excuses Excuses Excuses.

      I never said people aren't in difficult situations. I clearly said that people do what they want, and therefore are getting what they want.

      You can't eat cake today and say you want to be thin tomorrow. One is a dream, the other is REALITY.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11297133].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Master Blake
    The greatest fallacy for the common man is lack of a tendency to evolve and even ascend. When you're content with who you are, self-fulfillment finds you.

    It takes certain programming for an extended period to start seeing results, most of which are seamless. You don't realize it but the results speak for themselves and...speak volumes.

    You don't have to strive to be the best, just being good enough will make you the recipient of unequivocal growth.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296778].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Master Blake View Post

      The greatest fallacy for the common man is lack of a tendency to evolve and even ascend. When you're content with who you are, self-fulfillment finds you.

      It takes certain programming for an extended period to start seeing results, most of which are seamless. You don't realize it but the results speak for themselves and...speak volumes.

      You don't have to strive to be the best, just being good enough will make you the recipient of unequivocal growth.
      W...H...A...T?
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11297147].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    most people are broke and poor because the government takes a huge chunk of what they earn in tax..and referring to my last post heavily taxes the thing poor and lower income people buy ..and they tend to buy food at higher prices than wealthier people ..

    so when a person takes whats left and stops at the convenience store ..buys a few scratch offs a pack of smokes and some premade food ,a 12 pack of beer ..
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296821].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      most people are broke and poor because the government takes a huge chunk of what they earn in tax..and referring to my last post heavily taxes the thing poor and lower income people buy ..and they tend to buy food at higher prices than wealthier people ..

      so when a person takes whats left and stops at the convenience store ..buys a few scratch offs a pack of smokes and some premade food ,a 12 pack of beer ..
      Let's blame the Government so.

      Unbelievable.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11297143].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics