30 replies
I have about 50 tabs and windows open with everything from two projects in different programming languages, Word with 10 unfinished articles, ebooks, forums, wordpress dashboards etc...

I may be working on something but another thread in my head will pre-empt it and then I move on to something else. In the end my productivity suffers. Any suggestions .
#adhd
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi,

    Close out all tabs now. Shut off your computer now. Sit down for 10 minutes in silence, now.

    Practice for 5-10 minutes each hour until you feel the confidence to have 2 or 3 tabs open.

    You have an intense attachment to do everything at once. This is not humanly possible, nor is it sane. In the end it kills your productivity and makes your acts ineffective. It's a chief cause of most people spinning their wheels.

    Simply take those breaks where you get up from the computer and go into silence. Watch how strong the urge is to not get up or to want to return to the computer before the 5 or 10 minutes is up. As the feelings come and go your mind becomes more calm, and a calm mind simply knows what single task to focus on now and devotes all of its energies to this one task.

    This technique has worked incredibly well for me. I've written over 1000 inspirational quotes, over 1000 articles and blog posts, 16 ebooks and have also uploaded over 650 videos to twitter. I churned out this stuff by spending long periods in silence to clear out all the mental junk, allowing me to focus on 1 task at a time.

    RB
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph helps you to be a successful blogger with his courses, manuals and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022152].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    As an aside I had SEVERE racing thoughts syndrome, sometimes I would sit in the middle of my living room frustrated to the point of tears because I couldn't read a sentence or even function.

    My mind was addled but silence helped to cure it.

    RB
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph helps you to be a successful blogger with his courses, manuals and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022159].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AwesomePossum
    I have just one solution if you'd like to cure your ADHD....

    Go find The Master Key System and finish it...it's 100% free if you do a search for it and just for the record AND it's considered the most powerful book ever written.

    Andrew Carnegie, Donald Trump, and Bill Gates used this...

    P.S: It's a 24 week course but it's worth it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022239].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jborjaperez
    Take a break. Write down all your short term and long term goals for you and your family.

    Then Prioritize all of your work (Scale of 1-10) from what will most benefit you at this time to get you to those goals.

    And finish your list of priorities one by one. It's very simply put, but may work for you.

    I wish you the best and Good luck. If it helps. Maybe we could work together someday on a project.

    -Jared
    Signature

    In my signature.. It's not a secret method.. It's a lifestyle.. It's Day 1, Follow Me From The Bottom UP!

    I Write Articles Too! PM ME!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022291].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThisIsMyHealth
      I used to take Concerta, but now I've found that a little L-Dopa does the trick. As long as you cycle it (5 days on, 2 days off) you'll get to experience the benefits without a lot of the side effects.

      Granted, there are some people who believe you can cure ADHD without pills, but I've found that they're a great way to show your mind it IS possible to concentrate and knowing there is a way out is half the battle in my opinion.

      I can concentrate without taking anything now, simply because I've been there with the help of pills and my mind knows how to get back there, whereas before I couldn't have concentrated if you laid it out in a step-by-step format with dots connecting each step!

      Just my two cents...good luck with your problem!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022383].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ThisIsMyHealth
        @admin - Okay I understand the whole 50 posts to PM, but 50 posts to REPLY to someone who PM'd me already? That's just plain retarded.

        Anyways,

        @TimmyG -

        It's actually a natural precursor to dopamine and it's available over the counter. I included a link to the website I buy it at - iherb.com.

        The reason I take it instead of the prescription medicine is because it naturally produces more dopamine in the body, whereas prescription medicine interferes with the synapses and neurotransmitters in your brain to "trick" your body into thinking there's not enough dopamine.

        Me personally, I don't like drugs that mess with my brain...especially when there's no studies into what long-term use might do to a person.

        Only thing with the l-dopa is you need to drink some green tea when you take it, or take some green tea extract (that's what I do). Otherwise, your body absorbs the dopamine before it crosses over into the brain and you don't really get the effect you were hoping for.

        I've spent a LOT of time studying medical publications and scientific studies if you couldn't tell lol. I like to keep my medications as all-natural as possible. It's cheaper than prescription and the side effects are WAY less.

        Anyways, here's the links to the two I'm taking right now. I'm just taking 2 of each every morning (don't take it at night or you'll be up all night). Let me know if you got any other questions and if you check out the iHerb links you'll find a ton of reviews from other people. It's a pretty cool website.

        http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Dopa-Mucuna-90-Vcaps/8673?at=0

        http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Green-Tea-Extract-500-mg-120-Tablets/1237?at=0
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022485].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TimmyG
          Originally Posted by ThisIsMyHealth View Post

          @admin - Okay I understand the whole 50 posts to PM, but 50 posts to REPLY to someone who PM'd me already? That's just plain retarded.

          Anyways,

          @TimmyG -

          It's actually a natural precursor to dopamine and it's available over the counter. I included a link to the website I buy it at - iherb.com.

          The reason I take it instead of the prescription medicine is because it naturally produces more dopamine in the body, whereas prescription medicine interferes with the synapses and neurotransmitters in your brain to "trick" your body into thinking there's not enough dopamine.

          Me personally, I don't like drugs that mess with my brain...especially when there's no studies into what long-term use might do to a person.

          Only thing with the l-dopa is you need to drink some green tea when you take it, or take some green tea extract (that's what I do). Otherwise, your body absorbs the dopamine before it crosses over into the brain and you don't really get the effect you were hoping for.

          I've spent a LOT of time studying medical publications and scientific studies if you couldn't tell lol. I like to keep my medications as all-natural as possible. It's cheaper than prescription and the side effects are WAY less.

          Anyways, here's the links to the two I'm taking right now. I'm just taking 2 of each every morning (don't take it at night or you'll be up all night). Let me know if you got any other questions and if you check out the iHerb links you'll find a ton of reviews from other people. It's a pretty cool website.

          http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Dopa-Mucuna-90-Vcaps/8673?at=0

          http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Green-Tea-Extract-500-mg-120-Tablets/1237?at=0
          Thanks for the info!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022592].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Eager2SEO
            Hey guys, thanks for the advice here. Right now I'm just spinning wheels. I think realizing you have this issue is the first step to helping it. I read about so many IMers who are suffering with information overload, and that is infinitely compounded with ADHD. I can't even listen to music when I work.

            This is nothing new for me, even in school I would get bored and pleasure read the chapters that weren't assigned.

            I'm going to leave the computer for a day or so, and not open it until I have a good plan. Honestly though I am probably a candidate for ADHD meds, but I hate the thought of taking drugs. One step at time...
            Signature

            Available for article writing or <?php | .net ?> programming work! Article samples available on request.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022620].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author smartiewriter
          Originally Posted by ThisIsMyHealth View Post

          @admin - Okay I understand the whole 50 posts to PM, but 50 posts to REPLY to someone who PM'd me already? That's just plain retarded.

          Anyways,

          @TimmyG -

          It's actually a natural precursor to dopamine and it's available over the counter. I included a link to the website I buy it at - iherb.com.

          The reason I take it instead of the prescription medicine is because it naturally produces more dopamine in the body, whereas prescription medicine interferes with the synapses and neurotransmitters in your brain to "trick" your body into thinking there's not enough dopamine.

          Me personally, I don't like drugs that mess with my brain...especially when there's no studies into what long-term use might do to a person.

          Only thing with the l-dopa is you need to drink some green tea when you take it, or take some green tea extract (that's what I do). Otherwise, your body absorbs the dopamine before it crosses over into the brain and you don't really get the effect you were hoping for.

          I've spent a LOT of time studying medical publications and scientific studies if you couldn't tell lol. I like to keep my medications as all-natural as possible. It's cheaper than prescription and the side effects are WAY less.

          Anyways, here's the links to the two I'm taking right now. I'm just taking 2 of each every morning (don't take it at night or you'll be up all night). Let me know if you got any other questions and if you check out the iHerb links you'll find a ton of reviews from other people. It's a pretty cool website.

          http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Dopa-Mucuna-90-Vcaps/8673?at=0

          http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Green-Tea-Extract-500-mg-120-Tablets/1237?at=0

          Yes, iherb has some good products and it's a quality company.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5911165].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AwesomePossum
    @Thisismyhealth: If you have a problem with the PMing just upgrade to a War Room Member... I'll even give you the link: It's pretty cheap.

    http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...id-status.html

    Oh and nice post..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022513].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vip-ip
    If you want to consider medication that's a bit safer than Adderall and Ritalin, and can keep you focused without the amphetamine buzz, try Piracetam tablets. They're amazing.

    Best Regards,
    vip-ip ...
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022537].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThisIsMyHealth
      Originally Posted by vip-ip View Post

      If you want to consider medication that's a bit safer than Adderall and Ritalin, and can keep you focused without the amphetamine buzz, try Piracetam tablets. They're amazing.

      Best Regards,
      vip-ip ...
      Interesting stuff...did a quick bit of research and it seems to be a very safe and effective treatment. Would like to know a lot more about how it works - (it always worries when scientists tell me something works, but have absolutely no idea why lol) but it definitely enhances mental awareness and comprehension.

      One thing I did notice is that some people report getting headaches taking it solo. It seems to work better if you take some choline with it.

      Good stuff though - always cool how so many people have a different road to the same goal!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022771].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author vip-ip
        Originally Posted by ThisIsMyHealth View Post

        One thing I did notice is that some people report getting headaches taking it solo. It seems to work better if you take some choline with it.
        I only get headaches at the end of the day when I use it. No wonder - I get so much work done that I'd be surprised if I didn't.

        Best Regards,
        vip-ip ...
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3023592].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ThisIsMyHealth
    @AwesomePossum - thanks for the link but $37 is a lot for only 20 years...I'll have to think about it. ;-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022636].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AwesomePossum
      Originally Posted by ThisIsMyHealth View Post

      @AwesomePossum - thanks for the link but $37 is a lot for only 20 years...I'll have to think about it. ;-)
      hahaha you're welcome man, I'm just offering and I can only be thankful you put up the thought for purchasing the 20 year deal. That's such a long term commitment.

      Oh..and since we're on drugs...anyone ever heard of vyvance? It's new and it's honestly way better than concerta that I used for a year in college...it's the best I've ever tried. It releases over a period of time and it's a pure form of something that helps concentration and is even a deprecation "suppressant"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3022801].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Drizlek
    I know personally when I have a problem keeping my focus that music seems to help out allot. Depending on how bad off I am I will need different types of music (metal all the way to a track I have that is nothing more then beats meant to stimulate creativity and focus).

    Breaks and focusing or meditation are a great one too... that is if you can shut off your inner dialog and noise easily. This is once again where the music comes in and helps out at first. Eventually you get to the point where you don't need it though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3023562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TimmyG
    I've read that l-tyrosine is very effective for helping with concentration and mood, it increases dopamine levels in the brain just like Ritalin or adderol. It needs to be taken with vitamin c and b6 to increase absorption... I just picked some up at gnc and I will try it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it went...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3024291].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TimmyG
      Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post

      I've read that l-tyrosine is very effective for helping with concentration and mood, it increases dopamine levels in the brain just like Ritalin or adderol. It needs to be taken with vitamin c and b6 to increase absorption... I just picked some up at gnc and I will try it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it went...
      Ok so I went to GNC and took the plunge on these vitamins and the amino acid l-tyrosine. Surprisingly it worked very well and I know it definitely was not a placebo effect. Usually with vitamins and other health foods or supplements, I very rarely notice any differences. But the tyrosine definitely helped me focus much longer on my work and helped me accomplish more today than days in the past. I also picked up something called 5-htp which helps with energy levels and that worked better than a triple expresso for me with no crash whatsoever.

      If you are going to try the supplements it's always a good idea to talk to your doctor first, just because they aren't prescription doesn't mean that they aren't harmful so be careful of you decide to take anything.

      Goodluck, I hope this helps.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3029560].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author frankwyatt77777
        My mind is always running at 100 mph. i am actually better then I used to be. It seems that I always have to be doing more then 1 thing at a time. When working online I am working on 3-4 web sites with multiple[e programs and windows opened at 1 time. I am looking at it from a quanaity standpoing instead of a quality standpoint. I will start fresh again tomorrow.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3029596].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Muncher
          From what I read, you are excited about doing something but cannot commit to one project. This is not necessarily a problem and I would not go on meds unless you find your attention affecting your day to day life. There are many things to see and do on the internet and it is common to be distracted by things that do not matter. This happens to everyone. I gather you are still learning and therefore it is good to explore so much! This will give you knowledge and you gain from this. Eventually find something you enjoy and go forward with that opportunity. Do not force it or you will find yourself distracted.

          Hope this gets read lol.
          cheers
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3029667].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ThisIsMyHealth
        Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post

        Ok so I went to GNC and took the plunge on these vitamins and the amino acid l-tyrosine. Surprisingly it worked very well and I know it definitely was not a placebo effect. Usually with vitamins and other health foods or supplements, I very rarely notice any differences. But the tyrosine definitely helped me focus much longer on my work and helped me accomplish more today than days in the past. I also picked up something called 5-htp which helps with energy levels and that worked better than a triple expresso for me with no crash whatsoever.

        If you are going to try the supplements it's always a good idea to talk to your doctor first, just because they aren't prescription doesn't mean that they aren't harmful so be careful of you decide to take anything.

        Goodluck, I hope this helps.
        Not sure who told you 5-HTP is good for energy, because it's actually used for quite the opposite.

        5-HTP raises serotonin levels which would only help your energy levels if you were low on serotonin (and it wouldn't be an increase in physical energy as much as mental energy). Most ADHD/ADD people are low on dopamine and an increase of serotonin would do nothing but make them tired.

        Also if you take any anti-depressants like Prozac, Celexa, Wellbutrin, etc. taking 5-HTP can actually be very dangerous because it can cause an overload of serotonin which is very dangerous.

        If you're looking for more energy, L-dopa, the precursor to dopamine, is a better choice.

        I agree on the tyrosine though - it is good stuff!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3041426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dcjones21
    I have two sons with ADHD and they use Consera with success, but i do want them to get off it before they turn 18.

    I almost bought them a t-shirt that said ' ADHD and unmedicated, try to keep up!"

    But meditation and quiet time is needed. We have quiet time before bed. No electronics at all. Only reading books or journal writing is allowed.

    Silence is a source of great strength. ~Lao Tzu
    Signature

    No affiliate links in sig files

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3029665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PatriciaS
    I often joke I have WWWADD because I could, if I allowed myself, spend 24/7/365 just surfing the net -- reading this, reading that, going here, going there. It's actually one reason I don't allow myself to spend much time here. Email is also fraught with danger for me.

    Ryan -- I love your advice, and think I'll try it myself. ThisIsMyHealth -- you need a sig line with links! I also appreciated your advice and will probably make use of it for myself (but not for my WWWADD problem).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3041692].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ECMartin
      I know what you're talking about In fact, the solution is easy - at the end of each day, write a list of things to do the next day and the focus on the one thing you are supposed to be doing
      Signature
      Got Forex traffic? Promote EuroRise, one of the few automated systems that actually bring consistent results!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3042070].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThisIsMyHealth
      Originally Posted by chi-whiz View Post

      I often joke I have WWWADD because I could, if I allowed myself, spend 24/7/365 just surfing the net -- reading this, reading that, going here, going there. It's actually one reason I don't allow myself to spend much time here. Email is also fraught with danger for me.

      Ryan -- I love your advice, and think I'll try it myself. ThisIsMyHealth -- you need a sig line with links! I also appreciated your advice and will probably make use of it for myself (but not for my WWWADD problem).
      Glad the info helped chi-wiz! I've done a lot of studying on hormone levels over the past year and it's amazing how much they affect our day to day lives. If your hormones are imbalanced, it can cause all sorts of issues, depending on what kind of imbalance you have.

      The craziest thing I've found is a theory by a NLP practitioner. He suggests that the way you react to life determines your hormone balance or imbalance. For instance, people that react without thinking are higher in dopamine while people who spend more time with their head in the clouds or more time thinking than acting are higher in serotonin.

      This theory means that one could possibly alter his hormone levels by simply reacting to life differently. If you suffer from ADD/ADHD or low dopamine levels, you could start acting more and thinking less to raise your dopamine levels.

      Also, the more new experiences one has, the more acetylcholine is stimulated, which makes the brain work faster and better. It's a very interesting theory that is really unproven (so don't treat it as gospel); however I have analyzed my life and the lives of people around me and see a lot of truth to it so far.

      As you can see, I am very passionate about hormones and the psychology / NLP lol...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3042302].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ThisIsMyHealth
        While we're talking about dopamine / serotonin, thought you might like to check these symptoms of low dopamine / low serotonin out. Might help those who are unsure of which hormone they are deficient in (don't take this as the final word, just a push in the right direction):

        Dopamine deficiency
        • Reduced ability to feel pleasure
        • Flat, bored, apathetic and low enthusiasm
        • Depressed
        • Low drive and motivation
        • Difficulty getting through a task even when interesting
        • Procrastinator/little urgency
        • Difficulty paying attention and concentrating
        • Slowed thinking and/or slow to learn new ideas
        • Crave uppers (e.g. caffeine/nicotine/diet soft drinks)
          • Use these to improve energy/motivation/mood
        • Prone to addictions (e.g. alcohol)/addictive personality
        • Shy/introvert
        • Low libido or impotence
        • Mentally fatigued easily and physically fatigued easily
        • Sleep too much and trouble getting out of bed
        • Put on weight easily
        • Family history of alcoholism/ADD/ADHD
        Serotonin deficiency
        • Depressed
        • Nervous/anxious
        • Worrier
        • Fears/phobias
        • Negative/pessimistic
        • Irritable/impatient/edgy
        • Obsessive compulsive tendency
        • Think about the same things over & over again
        • Self destructive, masochistic or suicidal thoughts/plans
        • Low self esteem/confidence
        • Anger/rage/explosive behavior/assaultive
        • Sleep problems/light sleeper
        • Crave sugar/carbohydrates/alcohol/marijuana
          • Use these substances to improve mood & relax
        • Feel worse in and dislike dark weather
        • Chronic pain (e.g. headaches, backaches, fibromyalgia)
        • PMS
        • Antidepressants or 5-HTP improve mood
        • Family history of depression/anxiety/OCD/eating disorders
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3042316].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joshua Rigley
    Banned
    Try having ADD and OCD, and Asperger's Syndrome. And chronic depression. Loads of fun.

    It's very, very, very hard to deal with these illnesses. Imagine not being able to take action on ANYTHING, even if you're trying to do what you love.

    My advice is to find a partner with OCD, or at least a strong attention to details. That will help a lot: you can focus on just coming up with ideas, and your partner can focus on making it happen.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3042496].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThisIsMyHealth
      Originally Posted by Joshua Rigley View Post

      Try having ADD and OCD, and Asperger's Syndrome. And chronic depression. Loads of fun.

      It's very, very, very hard to deal with these illnesses. Imagine not being able to take action on ANYTHING, even if you're trying to do what you love.

      My advice is to find a partner with OCD, or at least a strong attention to details. That will help a lot: you can focus on just coming up with ideas, and your partner can focus on making it happen.
      I feel for you Joshua!

      You're right on with about the partner though...I was always coming up with great ideas but never putting any of them into action until I met my wife who is a action-oriented type of person. She's inspired me to start taking action and I've seen results that I probably never would have seen without her.

      I have seen a lot of people who have ADD also develop OCD, kind of as a coping mechanism, it helps alleviate some of the spaciness of ADD, though sometimes it just adds another disorder to a list of disorders lol.

      I do believe there are ways out though; and I tell everyone I meet with these problems to never give up because that is only ensuring failure. I believe a combination of healthy thinking patterns and balanced hormones can tackle any problem, but it's definitely not an overnight fix and there will be setbacks or relapses on the road to balance, so don't get discouraged if you take one step forward and two steps back sometimes.

      Good luck and keep trying!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3042727].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Usmile
    That's sounds very active! I suggest you to focus on couple of task per day, though I know it is quite hard for you this time since you are use to work on several things just remember the quality of output you produce each day. Try to weigh things out

    Take everything easy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5911535].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Mobley
    Originally Posted by Eager2SEO View Post

    Any suggestions .
    Ahh... Go see a doctor.


    Joe Mobley
    Signature

    .

    Follow Me on Twitter: @daVinciJoe
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5920136].message }}

Trending Topics