19 replies
I've been working online for more than 2 years now and I enjoy it! I enjoy the freedom of working on my most convenient time. However, I realized that the more I spent my time working at home, the more I miss a lot of fun that's happening around. For me, one major problem of working at home/working online is the lack of social activity. I saw pictures of my friends visiting this places and I felt left out.

I'm sure not all of you experienced this thing or feel the same way as I am.
#fun #missing
  • Profile picture of the author dmarseller
    Hi Anne0521,

    In my case...I'm under 30 years old and I think the fact is make money now that I can.

    When I have enough money I will enjoy. If they can already enjoy I am happy but not let it get me away from my goals hehehehe.

    A big hug!
    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8160866].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bhekizwe
    Time management. For everything important to you, allocate adequate time (daily/weekly/monthly)
    Signature

    Get the real coaching you need to be massively successful in your own business: HERE

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8161019].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Millefiore
    Hi Ann,

    I can say I feel the same too
    It's like timing doesn't match and when they are holidaying we are on something or when they are busy, we wanted to go out.

    I try to join more activities like meetups and gym.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8161313].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anne0521
      Originally Posted by Millefiore View Post

      Hi Ann,

      I can say I feel the same too
      It's like timing doesn't match and when they are holidaying we are on something or when they are busy, we wanted to go out.
      So true!!! I tried to fit my schedule to theirs and sometimes I can join but most of the time I can't.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8164596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gary Ning Lo
    Disagree with you...

    The best thing about working online is that you can work anywhere.. Why do you need to work at home? Why not go to the beach or somewhere else with a laptop?

    Cheers,

    Gary
    Signature
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162052].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeff Schuman
      Good post Anne. Gary brings up a good point as well. You can work away from home and still make money online doing it.

      The other thing I figured out is get balance in your life. My wife an I heading out to Chatfield State Park, south of Denver close to where we live, to hang out on the beach and get some sun. I like to take walks in the park and listen to Pandora on my iPhone.

      These are great breaks from the computer and I do not have to ask my boss for time off to do it. That makes it even better.
      Signature
      Jeff Schuman - SEO Blog Writer For Hire! Buy affordable, SEO, quality, MMO niche blog articles. Fast turnaround.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162187].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WebPen
      Originally Posted by Gary Ning Lo View Post

      Disagree with you...

      The best thing about working online is that you can work anywhere.. Why do you need to work at home? Why not go to the beach or somewhere else with a laptop?

      Cheers,

      Gary
      Have you ever actually tried that?

      First, you can't see the screen because of the sun glare.

      Second, who wants to get sand in/on their laptop?

      And third- when you have a 17inch laptop like mine that requires an 18 wheeler to transport- you don't want to take it to the beach :-p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8163857].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anne0521
      Originally Posted by Gary Ning Lo View Post

      Disagree with you...

      The best thing about working online is that you can work anywhere.. Why do you need to work at home? Why not go to the beach or somewhere else with a laptop?
      I did try bringing my laptop and work from a cafe, a food court, a restaurant and even take advantage of their wifi, and its good. However, when you're with friends, they keep on nagging you about bringing work during meet ups.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8164607].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eemil
    I agree with Gary...

    The point in this line of work is that you can work wherever you want, whenever you want. For example, I just take my laptop and go the mall that's located nearby. Personally I find it "inspiring" to work in an ambient filled with people - and using the free wi-fi zone is always a must for me. :p

    I'm not as experienced when it comes to "offline work", having only worked at a bar, in a telephone company and as translator, in total less than two years. The university also has taken a lot of my time, but being able to decide your working hours is a god-sent gift.

    It all depends on your attitude towards the work as well as your personality - extrovert people often find it slightly lonely to be working from home. However, "no man is an island" and you should try to work in different kind of environment. I can also say that while I'm in the mall, I take a lot less breaks from work. As ironic as it sounds, in a mall there are far less distractions than in your own home.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162680].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anne0521
      Originally Posted by Eemil View Post

      I agree with Gary...


      It all depends on your attitude towards the work as well as your personality - extrovert people often find it slightly lonely to be working from home. However, "no man is an island" and you should try to work in different kind of environment. I can also say that while I'm in the mall, I take a lot less breaks from work. As ironic as it sounds, in a mall there are far less distractions than in your own home.
      Thank you! Actually I agree with you. It all depends on my attitude. I let my work take most of my time, I take my work seriously and that's not good!
      I promise to change this attitude and to find some balance between work and my social life.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8164617].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jay walters
    For me, I don't think I am missing my fun working at home.
    What I have at home is just time management and getting things done
    on time.
    I give quality time with my family and for my extra activities
    I hang out with my friends on scheduled days.
    I don't believe I missed all the fun when my friends keep
    asking why I have so much time outside and still has more than
    enough income for my family (They thought I was not working).

    Just a simple time management would do the trick.

    I hope this helps
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8163720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Evocess
    I can also agree with you Ann.
    Because in at the very beginning of working online is like giving your full time to have things work. There's a lot of things that you need to consider and time is the important thing that you need to consider.

    But if you can already gain the leverage then I think that will be your most desired vacation time because you do have enough time for yourself, you can be with you loved ones, go for a vacation, etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8163912].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jessica Lynn
    I agree with Justin - it's not really that easy to work anywhere you feel like it. I found the lack of social interaction so frustrating that I made it a point to contact my friends more often and took up a part time job in a fun environment Maybe you want to look into doing tho same?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8164675].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RockNRolla
    Hi Anne,

    I personally never feel like that. I know how all my friends feel when they see my photos that I post all year round of my skiing holidays, summer holidays in Europe, trips to South Africa etc etc. I'd rather have these moments and experiences, all paid for by putting the hours in running my business, than missing out on a laugh with my friends every now and then.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8167664].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anne0521
      Originally Posted by RockNRolla View Post

      Hi Anne,

      I personally never feel like that. I know how all my friends feel when they see my photos that I post all year round of my skiing holidays, summer holidays in Europe, trips to South Africa etc etc. I'd rather have these moments and experiences, all paid for by putting the hours in running my business, than missing out on a laugh with my friends every now and then.
      Yeah, I get your point! Thanks!
      Gonna save enough money then plan a vacation with friends..hopefully this time our schedules match.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8171880].message }}
  • Yes I agree with bhekizwe. Time management is very important. I suggest you start balancing work from family. Plot a daily schedule so you will have something to follow.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8174645].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author T086
    Complete opposite for me. Since I can make money around the clock, I have way more time to hang out with friends.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8174861].message }}

Trending Topics