I chose entrepreneurship over further education..

30 replies
A few weeks ago, I made a decision.

I decided to choose entrepreneurship over further education despite being mocked and laughed at by my friends and family..

"You can only connect the dots looking backwards" - Steve Jobs

I'm sure you'll agree with me that Steve Jobs was an innovator, he used "out of the box" thinking and change technology for the better.

Does marching to a different drummer mean that I'll succeed?

Nope. I understand this and I'm excited about it too.

The idea of spending years and years working towards to a degree, to leave and spend the rest of my life working in an industry I'm sure I'll end up disliking, only to retire and find that the economy ends up changing and my life savings disappear makes me depressed

Now the concept of doing something I love, having variety in what I do, and getting motivated through not knowing where my next bit of income comes from. Now, that excites me!

It's been two weeks since I made my decision, and I'm loving every moment of it. Being able to do what I enjoy full time on a daily basis, I'm more motivated than ever.

So far, I've made enough money to sustain myself comfortably for the next two months and this is just the beginning.

For me, I'm living my dream lifestyle.

But I'd love to know what you think about my decision, did I make the right one or the wrong one?

Joe Crosbie
#chose #education #entrepreneurship
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    steve jobs also dropped out to drop in ..hedropped out of college then took courses that he felt would be fun to take.

    the person who becomes successful chooses how to further their education .

    your young and being and working for yourself can lead to isolation so it might help to take ome courses you would lik to take .. for fun and some you feelmay help you build skill for your business future ..
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8455131].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Crosbie
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      steve jobs also dropped out to drop in ..hedropped out of college then took courses that he felt would be fun to take.

      the person who becomes successful chooses how to further their education.
      That's a great example and what you say is very true.

      For me, I learn through doing. I feel like the last few weeks have been amazing and I've already learnt so much!

      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      your young and being and working for yourself can lead to isolation so it might help to take ome courses you would lik to take .. for fun and some you feelmay help you build skill for your business future ..
      I agree and that's what one thing I'm trying to ensure doesn't happen. I'm going on a principle of working SMART, not hard so I do have lots of time to hang out with my friends and relax
      Signature
      I chose entrepreneurship over further education despite being laughed at by my friends and family..

      I recently hit the "RESTART" button on my life, read my personal blog to find out how I did it :)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8455232].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by Joe Crosbie View Post

        That's a great example and what you say is very true.

        For me, I learn through doing. I feel like the last few weeks have been amazing and I've already learnt so much!



        I agree and that's what one thing I'm trying to ensure doesn't happen. I'm going on a principle of working SMART, not hard so I do have lots of time to hang out with my friends and relax
        ..the smart thing to do is to work hard figuring out the lifestyle you want and the business you want to support it..

        or better yet integrate the two together ..there are many thing you can do today that are much easier to persu if you do not have a kid debt..or college loans .

        if you have no debt .and you can get some money ..there are many things you can do to generate some money .with the minset of trying to build a huge company .
        Signature

        "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8457123].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sweersz
          I'm glad you feel free. Most of the time entrepreneurship offers education through experience. Getting a college degree doesn't take long at all compared to the job you'll be doing for the rest of your life but just be careful.

          Just make sure you have a backup plan if things don't work out too well.

          Having a degree will back you up in case something hits the fan with the whole entrepreneurship thing.

          While some may say a college degree means nothing, it really depends on which degree it is and the demand of the people with that particular skill set sought after. College is not worthless if you know what you're doing.

          Make sure you don't count your eggs before you have them because when you realize you aren't getting any, you will feel that your future is doomed.

          Good luck. :-)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8457301].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Justin Says
    Originally Posted by Joe Crosbie View Post

    Does marching to a different drummer mean that I'll succeed?

    Nope. I understand this and I'm excited about it too
    This.. this is why you will change things on your own.

    You have to be a leader and not solely a follower. And by having that type of mentality, you're definitely going to be a leader if you stick with it.

    As you know, don't try to be like someone else.. be yourself. Be better. Be the reason the world changes!

    Originally Posted by Joe Crosbie View Post

    Now the concept of doing something I love, having variety in what I do, and getting motivated through not knowing where my next bit of income comes from. Now, that excites me!
    I recently talked with someone who had a completely different view on this.. they argued that even though this may be profitable, it's not a real business if you don't have college education.

    I gave them an example of how I know someone who buys broken Xbox 360's for $30-$40, fixes them up for $20, and then resells them for $150.. they again argued that this wasn't a real business and was a waste of time.. yet my friend who does this isn't just doing it part-time.. in fact he has fixed over 300 in the last 2 months.

    Guess what.. he makes profit the second he sells his first Xbox 360.. I guess that's not the norm so it's "not a real business", pssh whatever. It's totally real and people that think you have to go one route are the ones who are going to end up being stuck in their boring lives that they don't appreciate to the full potential.

    Your story is exciting and every step you take along the way is going to be something you remember.

    I don't remember what I ate for dinner 3 days ago, but I sure as hell remember what I was doing in my business, because every single day is different and not just a repeat. To some that might sound scary, to me it's the ride of my life.

    And to you...

    It's going to be everything


    Originally Posted by Joe Crosbie View Post

    So far, I've made enough money to sustain myself comfortably for the next two months and this is just the beginning.

    For me, I'm living my dream lifestyle.
    BOOM, you just proved to yourself that this is real.

    Now instead of sitting around, get the next years worth of comfort out of the way, save that money, and enjoy the ride. It's going to be a good one!

    Originally Posted by Joe Crosbie View Post

    But I'd love to know what you think about my decision, did I make the right one or the wrong one?
    You made the choice that makes "YOU" happier. Everyone else's opinions don't really matter. Even if someone says it's the best decision you've ever made, you're the only one who truly knows whether this is the right direction for you or not.

    Good luck Joe and I'll be following your journey!

    Justin Lewis
    Signature

    My name is Justin Lewis, with Business Optimizer I've been in business for 6 years online with multiple six figure years, here are the tools that have helped me the most: Increase your reviews with this free Review Handout

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8455802].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Crosbie
      Originally Posted by Justin Says View Post

      This.. this is why you will change things on your own.

      You have to be a leader and not solely a follower. And by having that type of mentality, you're definitely going to be a leader if you stick with it.

      As you know, don't try to be like someone else.. be yourself. Be better. Be the reason the world changes!
      Thanks for your kind words! It's great to know you think I have the right mindset. That was one thing that worried me a little before making the decision.

      Originally Posted by Justin Says View Post

      I recently talked with someone who had a completely different view on this.. they argued that even though this may be profitable, it's not a real business if you don't have college education.
      I disagree with his point of view completely and the crazy thing is, a lot of people share similar opinions on this subject.

      I know a lot of my family members and friends do and I've given up trying to explain it to them, so I'll just keep working along until I can prove it them hehe :p

      Originally Posted by Justin Says View Post

      Guess what.. he makes profit the second he sells his first Xbox 360.. I guess that's not the norm so it's "not a real business", pssh whatever. It's totally real and people that think you have to go one route are the ones who are going to end up being stuck in their boring lives that they don't appreciate to the full potential.
      That's a great business! I'm sure any successful entrepreneur would agree.

      Originally Posted by Justin Says View Post

      Your story is exciting and every step you take along the way is going to be something you remember.

      I don't remember what I ate for dinner 3 days ago, but I sure as hell remember what I was doing in my business, because every single day is different and not just a repeat. To some that might sound scary, to me it's the ride of my life.
      See, just by reading that, I get pumped about what opportunities are ahead of me.

      This is going to be EPIC!

      Originally Posted by Justin Says View Post

      You made the choice that makes "YOU" happier. Everyone else's opinions don't really matter. Even if someone says it's the best decision you've ever made, you're the only one who truly knows whether this is the right direction for you or not.
      Definitely and I'll openly say, I'm prepared to face the consequences if it all was to go bad.

      I understand why my family and friends have their doubts, they are after all, only trying to help me. I just need to make a conscious effort to prove that this can work on a long term basis!
      Signature
      I chose entrepreneurship over further education despite being laughed at by my friends and family..

      I recently hit the "RESTART" button on my life, read my personal blog to find out how I did it :)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8455907].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lukasz
    It propably wasn't a good decision...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456645].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Crosbie
      Originally Posted by BruceFarthing1 View Post

      Hi Joe, I've been on the otherside - good grades - good schools - a B.S. and a Masters Degree - 15+ years working for a major corporation - now I'm trying to do what you are doing - start my own business and succeed on my own. You have no security just because you get a degree and work for a corporation. You will have to put up with a lot of resistance to what you are doing but hang in there.

      I think you have chosen the less traveled path - and that you have chosen well!

      Best wishes,
      Bruce
      Great feedback there Bruce.

      I must be honest, although I don't have any real experience of the corporate working world, what you've said seems to match what I see other people facing.

      For me, that's a scary thought. I know I most likely have a bumpy journey ahead and that's what excites me the most hehe.

      Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post

      It propably wasn't a good decision...
      I'd be interested in knowing why you think this

      Originally Posted by Jeff Schuman View Post

      Great post Joe. I made a similar decision myself back in 2006 and have never regretted it.

      I know with employment what it is, and many people thinking of going back to school and getting degrees or training more relevant for today's job market, this is going to come up more and more.

      I think if more people understood the opportunities to be self employed online that more of them would consider copying you.

      Best of luck!
      Thanks for your feedback!

      I can certainly see where your coming from and I agree totally! Lets hope I succeed and am able to inspire others to do the same
      Signature
      I chose entrepreneurship over further education despite being laughed at by my friends and family..

      I recently hit the "RESTART" button on my life, read my personal blog to find out how I did it :)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456961].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BruceFarthing1
    Hi Joe, I've been on the otherside - good grades - good schools - a B.S. and a Masters Degree - 15+ years working for a major corporation - now I'm trying to do what you are doing - start my own business and succeed on my own. You have no security just because you get a degree and work for a corporation. You will have to put up with a lot of resistance to what you are doing but hang in there.

    I think you have chosen the less traveled path - and that you have chosen well!

    Best wishes,
    Bruce
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456716].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Schuman
    Great post Joe. I made a similar decision myself back in 2006 and have never regretted it.

    I know with employment what it is, and many people thinking of going back to school and getting degrees or training more relevant for today's job market, this is going to come up more and more.

    I think if more people understood the opportunities to be self employed online that more of them would consider copying you.

    Best of luck!
    Signature
    Jeff Schuman - SEO Blog Writer For Hire! Buy affordable, SEO, quality, MMO niche blog articles. Fast turnaround.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8456736].message }}
  • Time will tell, Joe. But by the looks of it if you are pulling in living money in the first two weeks of starting this adventure I would have to say you aren't going to have any problems in this line of work.

    Anyway, the best of luck to you in your chosen business.

    LLS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8457641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author awesummer
    Good for you! I salute what you did. It was brave of you. Most people are scared to conflict the norm. People criticize you if you don't do the usual things people do to succeed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8457778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
    You made the right decision. Just keep your eye on the prize and if you ever feel like giving up remember that your friends and family are waiting to say I told you so.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8457806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lukasz
    @Joe

    I'm just a type of guy that likes to have as many doors open as possible, decision of not pursuing a degree results in closing quite a few of them (such as conntacts with width range of people and many more).
    You are very young, and truth to be told, you haven't fully matured yet. Whats more important, you have very little experience in life, its cruccial to try as many things as possible at this age to be able to choose a right path for the future. I'm also an entrepreneur and just finished two master degrees. Its really hard to build anything with so little knowledge of world, people and close to zero knowledge of specific subjects (sorry for generalizing).

    Just my 2 cents, I wish you luck anyway (you will need it in my opinion).

    PS. Sorry in advance for any mistakes, english isn't my native language and I'm still trying to improve my linguistic skills.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8458004].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Joe Crosbie View Post

    A few weeks ago, I made a decision.

    I decided to choose entrepreneurship over further education despite being mocked and laughed at by my friends and family..

    "You can only connect the dots looking backwards" - Steve Jobs

    I'm sure you'll agree with me that Steve Jobs was an innovator, he used "out of the box" thinking and change technology for the better.
    Not everyone is a Steve Jobs ... in fact, very few are.


    Originally Posted by Joe Crosbie View Post

    The idea of spending years and years working towards to a degree, to leave and spend the rest of my life working in an industry I'm sure I'll end up disliking, only to retire and find that the economy ends up changing and my life savings disappear makes me depressed
    You're projecting something that may or may not happen. You have no idea what the rest of your life has in store for you. Many people have highly rewarding careers that they love and that reward them well financially in both salary and benefits.

    A few short years to get a degree could give you options and open doors that you cannot imagine at this time. I hope you're successful, but many aren't and you'll have nothing to fall back on if you don't succeed in the long term.

    A lot of college students do IM from their dorm rooms and many also do it while having a full time job. They're leaving nothing to chance.[/QUOTE]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8458093].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bridget10
      That was a very serious decision you made about your life.
      I am sure you have given it a lot of thought.
      Keep a positive attitude.
      Good Luck.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8458636].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joe Crosbie
        Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

        ..the smart thing to do is to work hard figuring out the lifestyle you want and the business you want to support it..

        or better yet integrate the two together ..there are many thing you can do today that are much easier to persu if you do not have a kid debt..or college loans .

        if you have no debt .and you can get some money ..there are many things you can do to generate some money .with the minset of trying to build a huge company .
        I agree and the cool thing about my situation now is I have no choice, if I fail, I'll end up doing something I hate so I have a lot of pressure on me. Which is a great motivator.

        Originally Posted by Art of Marketing View Post

        Hi Joe,

        I had to smile when I saw the title to the post because in order to make a great living online you and me and everyone here educate ourselves even more because we have to.

        Keep us posted as you grow your business....there will be hurdles but there will always be someone that has been there and done that so never hesitate to ask for feedback and insight.
        Great to hear I made you smile hehe, I agree.

        When I say "Further Education" I mean formal education like working towards a degree. I'm making sure I'm gaining knowledge every single day, the only difference being I'm learning through doing rather than studying.

        I will definitely be sharing both the success and failure I encounter and one day, hopefully soon, I'd love to be able to write a mega long success story that would motivate other people

        Originally Posted by Sweersz View Post

        I'm glad you feel free. Most of the time entrepreneurship offers education through experience. Getting a college degree doesn't take long at all compared to the job you'll be doing for the rest of your life but just be careful.

        Just make sure you have a backup plan if things don't work out too well.

        Having a degree will back you up in case something hits the fan with the whole entrepreneurship thing.

        While some may say a college degree means nothing, it really depends on which degree it is and the demand of the people with that particular skill set sought after. College is not worthless if you know what you're doing.

        Make sure you don't count your eggs before you have them because when you realize you aren't getting any, you will feel that your future is doomed.

        Good luck. :-)
        Thanks! I know that a degree doesn't take that long to get, I was just worried that if I had gone for one, my mind would have been elsewhere thinking about where I could of been if I had chosen entrepreneurship.

        My backup plan is pretty much non existent, I mean if I fail, I guess I'll have to get a low paying job and focus on getting myself back to being self employed. E

        I disagree with those that say a college degree means nothing, it can be an amazing way to form an amazing career. I just don't think it's for everyone, especially with the way business is changing around the world.

        Originally Posted by LastingLifeSuccess View Post

        Time will tell, Joe. But by the looks of it if you are pulling in living money in the first two weeks of starting this adventure I would have to say you aren't going to have any problems in this line of work.

        Anyway, the best of luck to you in your chosen business.

        LLS
        Yes, so far it's going OK. Obviously being young and still living at home means my living costs are a lot cheaper than some peoples but the goal is to slowly but surely increase my weekly income.

        I'm happy with what I've achieved so far though

        Originally Posted by awesummer View Post

        Good for you! I salute what you did. It was brave of you. Most people are scared to conflict the norm. People criticize you if you don't do the usual things people do to succeed.
        Thank you! Some say brave, some say stupid haha. I'd like to think of it has being ambitious.

        Let's hope it works out haha.

        Originally Posted by tvon View Post

        You made the right decision. Just keep your eye on the prize and if you ever feel like giving up remember that your friends and family are waiting to say I told you so.
        That's a great thing to keep in my mind. Thanks for that! I think that's something I can use IF I ever feel a little flat

        Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post

        @Joe

        I'm just a type of guy that likes to have as many doors open as possible, decision of not pursuing a degree results in closing quite a few of them (such as conntacts with width range of people and many more).
        You are very young, and truth to be told, you haven't fully matured yet. Whats more important, you have very little experience in life, its cruccial to try as many things as possible at this age to be able to choose a right path for the future. I'm also an entrepreneur and just finished two master degrees. Its really hard to build anything with so little knowledge of world, people and close to zero knowledge of specific subjects (sorry for generalizing).
        I agree and that's a great way to think! If your situation was to change drastically then you'd have something to fall back on. That's something I don't have at the moment which is a scary thought.

        I'm working towards learning a range of different skills so I will have more than one way to generate an income.

        I agree and I will openly admit that I'm basing my opinion, from things I've seen other people go through. I've also talked to a lot of people about this but I'm only really going to get real personal experiences through trying

        Congratulations on finishing your degree, that's impressive I agree, I'm spending a lot of time reading and getting first hand experience.

        Thanks again!

        P.S - Your English is very good!

        Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

        Not everyone is a Steve Jobs ... in fact, very few are.

        You're projecting something that may or may not happen. You have no idea what the rest of your life has in store for you. Many people have highly rewarding careers that they love and that reward them well financially in both salary and benefits.
        You are right! I used his quote to state that thinking outside of the box can be a good thing.

        Once again you're right! I'm using that as motivation

        You said many have careers that "they love", that's where the problem starts for me. I can't see myself doing the same kind of career for a long time. That's why entrepreneurship appeals to me so much!

        I could be doing something new every year if I wanted too. The variety aspect of it is amazing to me! Sure, I don't necessarily have the security that a degree can provide you but I'd be happy living with that if I'm able to spend my lifetime doing something I love for a living

        Originally Posted by Bridget10 View Post

        That was a very serious decision you made about your life.
        I am sure you have given it a lot of thought.
        Keep a positive attitude.
        Good Luck.
        I did and I'm glad to see that many people think that I've made a good one

        Thanks for your kind words!
        Signature
        I chose entrepreneurship over further education despite being laughed at by my friends and family..

        I recently hit the "RESTART" button on my life, read my personal blog to find out how I did it :)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8458726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lukasz
    My only advise is - be open to new possibilities. Being an entrepreneur and moreover being a good one, requires a certain level of flexibility. Opportunities may strike at the most unsuspected moment.
    That's partly the reason why I have a mixed feelings about your attitude, or in other words - your reasoning that stands behind taking this route of life. I think it's crucial to have an ability to squeeze everything from every situation we are in.
    Of course you can achieve big things pursuing your path but keep in mind that for example Steve Jobs is probably more educated than average Harvard Ms. Don't take the easy road, knowledge is power and usually comes in pair with success.
    I know that it doesn't matter how we are going to obtain it and that university isn't the only right choice. I just hope you won't learn the hard way, how hard it is to learn by yourself (I have an experience in this matter and I will tell you - it's not an easy road). One of the biggest positive outcomes of taking higher education is learning how to obtain and use information...

    Still, wish you best luck!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8459082].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Crosbie
      Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post

      My only advise is - be open to new possibilities. Being an entrepreneur and moreover being a good one, requires a certain level of flexibility. Opportunities may strike at the most unsuspected moment.
      That's great advice and being prepared to grab opportunities is something I think is essential to being successful.

      Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post

      That's partly the reason why I have a mixed feelings about your attitude, or in other words - your reasoning that stands behind taking this route of life. I think it's crucial to have an ability to squeeze everything from every situation we are in.

      Of course you can achieve big things pursuing your path but keep in mind that for example Steve Jobs is probably more educated than average Harvard Ms. Don't take the easy road, knowledge is power and usually comes in pair with success.
      You're very right! I'm not at all against education, as I said in a previous response, I think it's essential to have in order to achieve success. I just feel that obtaining it through doing it works better for me than studying it

      Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post

      I just hope you won't learn the hard way, how hard it is to learn by yourself (I have an experience in this matter and I will tell you - it's not an easy road). One of the biggest positive outcomes of taking higher education is learning how to obtain and use information...
      I personally look forward to the struggles and failures, I think that's the only way I'm actually going to learn. I don't think anything is supposed to be easy, in my opinion, the harder it is, the better you'll feel when you succeed.

      Even though I've only been taking this seriously for a little while, I've already learnt that what you're saying is very true and I'm relieved to know that. I think that's where a lot of people fail, they realise that actually this is going to be a little more trickier than they had original thought, so they quit. I can't wait to give everything that's in front of me a shot :p

      Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post

      Still, wish you best luck!!
      Thank you very much!
      Signature
      I chose entrepreneurship over further education despite being laughed at by my friends and family..

      I recently hit the "RESTART" button on my life, read my personal blog to find out how I did it :)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8459306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tritrain
    I think you're taking a good approach.

    When I had started my business several years ago, I had jumped in without doing enough due diligence. I had a lot of self confidence and will, but I didn't truly know the market. I eventually spread myself so thin that stress, along with the economy, finally did me in.

    My suggestions:
    Learn from other peoples' mistakes and find a good mentor if you can.
    Start small, with little overhead.
    Create a good business plan and use it as your guide along the way.
    Create goals (and deadlines!) that conform to your business plan.
    Over deliver to your customers.
    Word of mouth is the best and cheapest form of advertising. It can't be beat!
    and prove the naysayers wrong!
    Signature
    Domains for sale - see seopositions.net
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8459347].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Crosbie
      Originally Posted by tritrain View Post

      I think you're taking a good approach.

      When I had started my business several years ago, I had jumped in without doing enough due diligence. I had a lot of self confidence and will, but I didn't truly know the market. I eventually spread myself so thin that stress, along with the economy, finally did me in.
      Great to hear! I've certainly spent a lot of time thinking about my business and at the moment it's all I think about. I'm sorry to hear about the last part of your paragraph and I hope you're back to succeeding

      Originally Posted by tritrain View Post

      My suggestions:
      Learn from other peoples' mistakes and find a good mentor if you can.
      Start small, with little overhead.
      Create a good business plan and use it as your guide along the way.
      Create goals (and deadlines!) that conform to your business plan.
      Over deliver to your customers.
      Word of mouth is the best and cheapest form of advertising. It can't be beat!
      and prove the naysayers wrong!
      Those are some really good suggestions, basically the exact same ones as I've received when asking people who I look up to. Lots of successful people can't be wrong hehe.
      Signature
      I chose entrepreneurship over further education despite being laughed at by my friends and family..

      I recently hit the "RESTART" button on my life, read my personal blog to find out how I did it :)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8459417].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pinkgorilla
    Good post!

    It can be hard leaving a "reliable" 9-5 job or any current education you're enrolled in to pursue internet marketing or try entrepreneurship with the pressure on you and family and friends advising against it but you just have to believe in yourself and do what you got to do. If you dedicate yourself, it will pay off
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8459561].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author volante1
    Joe,
    That's a great post for sure! I want to do exactly the same thing, i'm trying hard and feel very focused at this point in my life.
    Many Thanks Joe,
    All the very best to you!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461244].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HzCy
    Hey Joe,

    I like your approach.

    I kinda think the same, because I am currently at the same stage:

    I have two possibilities, 1. is I take some education, 2. is I just follow my passion and build something great in the time I would go to "school".


    So you are totally right.

    Thanks for this post.
    Signature
    ----------><----------
    Want to build passive income streams while travelling the world?
    Here's how.. http://sunnyincome.com/blog/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461631].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author svetod
    Hi Joe, I admire your decision!

    I am sure if this comes out of your heart you will become much more successful by developing your own business and ideas!

    I am actually about to take the same decision. University does not give me what I want. I do earn much more than the professors together maybe and my motivation and willingness to succeed is much higher than professors and other students. I don't see doing anything because of other people's opinion.

    So good luck buddy, I am sure you are on the right track!
    Signature
    Want To Know How I Make Money Online? Read my story http://affiliate-lifestyle.com/
    Follow me on Instagram for Daily Inspiration & Free Tips: svetlintodd
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461655].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Crosbie
      Originally Posted by pinkgorilla View Post

      Good post!

      It can be hard leaving a "reliable" 9-5 job or any current education you're enrolled in to pursue internet marketing or try entrepreneurship with the pressure on you and family and friends advising against it but you just have to believe in yourself and do what you got to do. If you dedicate yourself, it will pay off
      Oh yes definitely, there's the whole "I don't want to look like an idiot" as well as "I also don't want to let anyone down.." going around in your head! You're completely right when you say that it's a move worth taking as long as you believe in yourself but I think you also need a solid plan of action too.

      The last thing anyone wants is to end up failing and going homeless. As long as certain conditions are met I think it's something a lot more people should take, as long as it's a choice that makes them happy

      Originally Posted by volante1 View Post

      Joe,
      That's a great post for sure! I want to do exactly the same thing, i'm trying hard and feel very focused at this point in my life.
      Many Thanks Joe,
      All the very best to you!
      Great to hear Buddy, I'm sure if you keep on working hard like I've seen you do recently, you're going to succeed! It's all about the dedication and regular action taking!

      Look forward to seeing what you can achieve!

      Originally Posted by HzCy View Post

      Hey Joe,

      I like your approach.

      I kinda think the same, because I am currently at the same stage:

      I have two possibilities, 1. is I take some education, 2. is I just follow my passion and build something great in the time I would go to "school".


      So you are totally right.

      Thanks for this post.
      That's awesome that your considering making the move into entrepreneurship but please do be careful, being self employed is a lot harder than I thought and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone is just looking for a way to not "work".

      As long as you're serious about it, I'd say go for it! It's an amazing feeling

      I wish you the best of luck!

      Originally Posted by svetod View Post

      Hi Joe, I admire your decision!

      I am sure if this comes out of your heart you will become much more successful by developing your own business and ideas!

      I am actually about to take the same decision. University does not give me what I want. I do earn much more than the professors together maybe and my motivation and willingness to succeed is much higher than professors and other students. I don't see doing anything because of other people's opinion.

      So good luck buddy, I am sure you are on the right track!
      Oh yeah, I mean that's where this desire is born right? I think you're completely right to follow your passion!

      Good luck on you're venture! Even if it sounds like you're already succeeding
      Signature
      I chose entrepreneurship over further education despite being laughed at by my friends and family..

      I recently hit the "RESTART" button on my life, read my personal blog to find out how I did it :)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8461871].message }}
  • Just keep it up and take it as challenge especially those people thinks that you cannot be successful if you couldn't finish your studies. Just believe in yourself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8462567].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joesfortune
    Wise decision. But how can you become a good entrepreneur without education? Probably not in a classroom but somewhere else. At the end of the day, the learned always beat the ignorant.
    Signature

    Joseph M. Dabon
    Blogger and freelance writer. I belong to Ezine's Expert Author, Diamond, level. Visit me at
    http://withinyouisyoursuccess.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8466352].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author darwingerald79
    Well there's nothing with starting the path entrepreneurship first than education. It is how you deal with it as you go along the way. I have seen successful business men who chose this path.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8467152].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TwinkleToes
    In the time of technological innovation and globalization, education is often an important aspect however isn't a certification for being a thriving entrepreneur. Their knowledge and study makes them a winning entrepreneur, which cannot be denied. A successful entrepreneur knows how to entice the govt authorities and grin in front of the camera. Really you can’t do big business unless you’re willing to perform by their guidelines. Yes, Steve Jobs was right, you should think different and act that way. All the best!
    Signature
    Ask...Because you never stop learning.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8488218].message }}

Trending Topics