Ha ha Oregon Can't BUY a National Championship

11 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
With a 68 million dollar Practice facility, donated by Nike Founder and Oregon Alumni Phil Knight, that is described by some as a cross between a Frank Lloyd Wright structure and a George Lucas movie and a total of $300 million given by Knight over the years...
well the Ducks failed to do what they thought they could.

And that is buy a National Football Championship.
Congrats and Thank You OSU

Phil Knight's dollars, Nike's marketing boost Oregon's appeal and stature | Dallas Morning News
  • Profile picture of the author salegurus
    I must say that i did not give OSU a hope in hell when they were drawn against Bama, luckily i'm not a betting man...
    OSU coaching staff did a heck of a job with their 3rd choice QB no less...
    Signature
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

    ― George Carlin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9807523].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
    It's the Riffle effect.
    Signature

    "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9807542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
    All kidding aside, that Urban guy is something:

    "Urban Meyer, the two-time national champion coach who has the highest winning percentage - .837; 128-25 - of any active coach with at least 10 years of experience, is 24-2 overall and 16-0 in Big Ten Conference games as coach at Ohio State University. His Buckeyes have set a school record with a 24-game winning streak (fourth-longest in Big Ten history) while Meyer became the first coach in major college history to win 20-or-more consecutive games on three different occasions. His teams have finished atop the Leaders Division in the Big Ten in each of the past two seasons."

    >>>>>>>>>>>>

    On an interesting (to me anyway) side note, Bill Bowerman coached Phil Knight at Oregon
    and was the co-founder of Nike. Bowerman served in the 10th Mountain Division, which
    was created in WW2 especially for winter and mountain combat. They turned the tide in Italy by climbing a mountain face on a Winter night that nobody expected anybody to climb.

    Many of the 10th went onto major accomplishments, including the co-founding of many businesses
    and ski resorts, such as Vail, CO.

    Bill Bowerman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10th_Mo...(United_States)
    Signature

    "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9807574].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
    Still partying here in Ohio. The hangover is going to be GLORIOUS.
    Signature

    If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9807652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GforceSage
    Originally Posted by discrat View Post

    With a 68 million dollar Practice facility, donated by Nike Founder and Oregon Alumni Phil Knight, that is described by some as a cross between a Frank Lloyd Wright structure and a George Lucas movie and a total of $300 million given by Knight over the years...
    well the Ducks failed to do what they thought they could.

    And that is buy a National Football Championship.
    Congrats and Thank You OSU

    Phil Knight's dollars, Nike's marketing boost Oregon's appeal and stature | Dallas Morning News


    AND......Bra Baron Les Wexner gave Ohio State $100 Million Dollars to boost their football facilities. Is that somehow any better or not also "Buying Success?"

    You know why the Woody Hayes Training facility is now called the Woody Hayes Training facility at Harmon Family Park? It's because the Harmon Family also gave Ohio State a huge donation in the $ millions.

    Did you know that when a booster asks Ohio State if they can attend practice, they are asked to bid on a chance? Ohio State sells meet & greets after practice for bids of $2,500 to $3,000. I could go on, but a buddy of mine is a Buckeye Booster and probably wouldn't appreciate it.

    I do think Urban Meyer is the best coach in football right now. This is why he might be getting $10 Mil. a year to coach the Los Angeles Rams when they return in 2016.

    Show me a successful big-time program and I'll show you a Sugar Daddy or two...or ten.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9807764].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by GforceSage View Post

      AND......Bra Baron Les Wexner gave Ohio State $100 Million Dollars to boost their football facilities. Is that somehow any better or not also "Buying Success?"

      You know why the Woody Hayes Training facility is now called the Woody Hayes Training facility at Harmon Family Park? It's because the Harmon Family also gave Ohio State a huge donation in the $ millions.

      Did you know that when a booster asks Ohio State if they can attend practice, they are asked to bid on a chance? Ohio State sells meet & greets after practice for bids of $2,500 to $3,000. I could go on, but a buddy of mine is a Buckeye Booster and probably wouldn't appreciate it.

      I do think Urban Meyer is the best coach in football right now. This is why he might be getting $10 Mil. a year to coach the Los Angeles Rams when they return in 2016.

      Show me a successful big-time program and I'll show you a Sugar Daddy or two...or ten.
      Still not even remotely close to what Phil Knight and his $22 billion dollars have done for Oregon. And we are just talking about the last 15 years or so. In another 15 years they will probably have gold plated Seats in the stadium
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9808323].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author discrat
        People think because I am a Tennessee Alumni representing the SEC I was rooting for Bama against OSU.
        Nothing could be further from the Truth,

        I couldn't stand one more year and the talk of Saban and his dynasty.

        I thought OSU didn't deserve to get in the final 4 either at first . Nobody gave them a chance .

        Great team ,Great win
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9808330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
    Congrats to the Buckeys and their fans.

    I was one of those people who wondered why OS was selected among the 4 finalists.

    The committee is now smelling like roses. I just couldn't believe OS could win the national championship with a 3rd string QB.

    I watched the game with one of my uncles who was born and raised in the buckeye state and wanted them to win the game - just because of him.

    Meyer is a great recruiter (although I guess all you have to do is convince enough of Ohio's good high school players to stay at home) and coach, that RB #15 is amazing and that QB, Cardel Jones is something special. He should declare for the draft now - while he's hot.

    I love their offensive philosophy which is run the ball and throw medium and deep - forget the short pass unless forced to throw short.

    It was also the offensive philosophy of the mighty Pittsburgh Steelers of the 1970's.

    Congrats again for winning the first championship of the playoff era.
    Signature

    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9808074].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
      Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

      that RB #15 is amazing and that QB, Cardel Jones is something special. He should declare for the draft now - while he's hot.
      Normally I'd disagree with you, but 12Gauge is in a unique position. First, he's made it readily apparent that education isn't his top priority. No judgment. College isn't for everybody. Second, as good as he was over his three starts, I don't think he beats out JT Barrett as the starter next year or the next year. He's basically stuck. If he can parlay those three games into a payday, he probably should.
      Signature

      If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9808462].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
    Ohio State Celebrations Turn Rowdy Following Buckeyes Win

    I wonder if someone we know was right smack dab in the middle of it all?


    Dan....
    Signature

    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9808162].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
      Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

      Ohio State Celebrations Turn Rowdy Following Buckeyes Win

      I wonder if someone we know was right smack dab in the middle of it all?


      Dan....
      Not me, my friend. I burned off my buzz at 3AM by spending an hour and a half digging my (idiot) buddy's car out of a ditch.

      Regarding the article, I'm surprised it was just a few trash can fires. I thought the entire city would burn. Hell, the students at the University of Akron set the campus ablaze for Cinco de Mayo and we have virtually no Latin community. Just a bunch of idiots drinking Tequila and setting couches on fire.
      Signature

      If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9808438].message }}

Trending Topics