35 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Leader-Telegram Online

It's not just indoor public places in Eau Claire where lighting up is prohibited. Now residents of a south side, owner-occupied housing complex will have to snuff out smoking in their homes, the most recent sign of public anti-smoking sentiment.
Members of the Fairfax Parkside Homeowners Association on Wednesday voted to outlaw smoking inside residences that are part of the 34-unit development. The ban also prohibits smoking in shared spaces, such as porches and garages, but does allow it in yards and on patios.
Now I can see both sides to this. The HOA of this little subdivision technically owns all the homes, and they are all apparently multi-family units. They are trying to keep the stink down in homes that they will probably resell. So i can see that point.

However, I can also see the homeowners point. If i purchased this home and tobacco is a legal product, i should be able to smoke in my house.


I quit smoking a while ago, and personally i think tobacco should be outlawed. But until it is, this kind of stuff sounds unfair for people who are doing nothing illegal and are in their own homes.
  • Profile picture of the author webpromotions
    Heh...just heard this on Rush today.
    The funny part is that they banned it INSIDE one's home, but its still allowed on patios/porches.
    Given the fact that this is Wisconsin and nobody in their right mind would have their windows open w/ the possible exception of 2-3 months out of the year, what scenario would be more likely to offend the neighbors w/ second hand smoke....smoking inside your home, or smoking outside on your patio? Duh...

    And while this stupid law is going on, Obama is smoking outside on the WhiteHouse grounds...hmmmm, yah that makes sense.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1000383].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
    I really don't understand radical moves but this one can make me smile. Tobacco companies are losing their power, aren't they?
    Signature
    People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1000402].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
    Like i said, i dont know why tobacco is still legal other than the obvious reason of lobbyists. There isnt anything else in this country with the history of causing so much death that we allow to be sold.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1000476].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    I'm also an ex smoker. But, I think tobacco should be legal. People should decide what they put into their bodies, not the government.

    Also, if a smoker moved in BEFORE the new rules, they should be allowed to smoke. I don't believe something like this should be retroactive...Not to mention, what a person does in their own home is no one's business.
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1000497].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
      Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

      I'm also an ex smoker. But, I think tobacco should be legal. People should decide what they put into their bodies, not the government.

      Also, if a smoker moved in BEFORE the new rules, they should be allowed to smoke. I don't believe something like this should be retroactive...Not to mention, what a person does in their own home is no one's business.
      Do you also think that all drugs should be legal? coke, crack, meth..etc.?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1000499].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Fondybadger
        Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

        Do you also think that all drugs should be legal? coke, crack, meth..etc.?
        that would diastratous
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1004675].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ThomM
          Originally Posted by Fondybadger View Post

          that would diastratous
          And why is that?
          If you took a poll and everyone answered honestly, I'm pretty sure you would find out the law has nothing to do with why people do or don't do drugs.
          I don't do crack, meth, or heroin, not because they are illegal but because I don't want to.
          I do smoke cannabis, again because I want to. The legality of the drugs has nothing to do with my decisions.
          If all drugs where legalized I still wouldn't do crack, meth, or heroin and I'd bet my house that the majority of the people that now don't do them still wouldn't.
          Signature

          Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
          Getting old ain't for sissy's
          As you are I was, as I am you will be
          You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1007595].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

      People should decide what they put into their bodies, not the government.
      So why do you deny ME that right!?!?!? If you want TOBACCO! FINE! Chew and swallow! HECK, soak it in DMSO and paint it on your skin!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1003018].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kurt
        Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

        So why do you deny ME that right!?!?!? If you want TOBACCO! FINE! Chew and swallow! HECK, soak it in DMSO and paint it on your skin!

        Steve
        Steve,

        Try to keep up...We're talking about in one's own home, which is the context of this entire thread. Where did we lose you?
        Signature
        Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
        Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1003816].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author seasoned
          Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

          Steve,

          Try to keep up...We're talking about in one's own home, which is the context of this entire thread. Where did we lose you?
          HEY, when I was a kid, I considered the home to be mine as much as my parents! THEY SMOKED! There are lots of similar cases, but that one is downright identical. Where did I lose YOU! You talk about only hurting YOURSELVES, and that often is NOT the case!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1003859].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

    Do you also think that all drugs should be legal? coke, crack, meth..etc.?
    Yep. With regulatons and taxation. I'd rather have the money go to our governement to be used on drug rehab programs that to the street gangs and drug cartels, with me footing the bill for prisons and drug treatment. Let the heroine addicts pay for their own rehab through taxation.

    BTW, when they were legal, very few people used them. In pre 1920, they were known as vices, not crimes.

    And if you did some research, you'd see that the usage of legal drugs after prohibition has greatly decreased since, but the usage of illegal drugs has greatly risen. The "theory" that making drugs legal increases usage goes totally againsst the historical FACTS.

    Using the taxes collected from tabacco and alchohol for public education has helped decrease their usage greatly...In the 30's, over 70% of people smoked and over 70% drank. Now it's down to about 20% for each. Let's learn from history and the REAL facts.
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1000557].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    They just passed a law that will regulate the poisons that they put in tobacco. Why bother if we aren't allowed to smoke. If I bought a home and then was told I couldn't smoke in it after I bought it, I would sue for the price of the home. I'd want out of the deal completely. People don't buy homes so someone else can tell them how to live in them. What next? Will someone be coming in to make sure we are raising our kids according to some policy or watching us have sex to make sure we don't violate any rules? Telling people how to live in their own homes goes way too far and once there are laws allowing them to restrict one behavior - let's see what the next one is.
    Who is going to be the one monitoring these homes to make sure people aren't smoking in them anyway? Are they allowed to just barge in if they suspect something or will they have to have search warrants? Will they be snooping through the trash or looking in your windows? This whole country is going regulation crazy. Let people live how they want to for cripes sakes - it used to be nobody's business but their own if they killed themselves or not. It still should be.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1000713].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      It's why I won't buy in an area where there is HOA control - too many busybodies and control freaks in some of those associations.

      If you think about tobacco as a business, it's funny. Subsidies to tobacco farmers, huge taxes on finished products, companies paying billions in lawsuits, millions to be made on anti-smoking products, billions in health care costs. If it all disappeared, might it tip the economy over the brink?

      And somewhere at the bottom of the heap of this huge money pit is a little guy just trying to have a smoke.

      kay
      Signature
      Remember all those times when you wished the weekend would last forever? Well, wish granted. Happy now?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1000805].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1003004].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
        Originally Posted by alexa_s View Post

        This was my thought, too. I wondered how it could possibly stand up in court. And/or if you could have a claim against the lawyer who handled the transaction for not telling you that you don't really "own" the home in any meaningful sense because a committee of other people can lay down the law to you about whether you can smoke in it.
        Well technically, you dont really own the home in an hoa. When you buy, you have to be approved by the hoa. When you sell, you have to sell it back to the hoa (usually at the same price, regardless of the market, but they can sell it higher to the next person) so they can approve the next buyer. You can't make changes to the property that arent approved by the HOA.


        There are hoa's in florida that tell people they can't have bumper stickers on their cars, American flags on their front lawn, business advertisement (like magnetic signs for their own business) on their cars.

        There will be snow cones in hell before I ever buy in an hoa.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1003032].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author seasoned
          Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

          Well technically, you dont really own the home in an hoa. When you buy, you have to be approved by the hoa. When you sell, you have to sell it back to the hoa (usually at the same price, regardless of the market, but they can sell it higher to the next person) so they can approve the next buyer. You can't make changes to the property that arent approved by the HOA.


          There are hoa's in florida that tell people they can't have bumper stickers on their cars, American flags on their front lawn, business advertisement (like magnetic signs for their own business) on their cars.

          There will be snow cones in hell before I ever buy in an hoa.
          Technically, it is ILLEGAL to own a home in the US. When you BUILD a home(that you may have paid for with CASH), it has to go SOMEWHERE! If it is put on LAND that you may have paid CASH for, it becomes a FIXTURE! As such, it increases the value of the "LAND". That means it is no longer YOUR home, but basically the LANDS home! NOW, as to the land, you don't pay for IT, you pay for a deed saying you are allowed use of it free from certain encumbrances from the previous "owner". STILL, the city considers it THEIR property! THEIR property is considered property of the county, which is considered property of the state. If you don't pay the "property tax", they will take your property!

          HECK, if another person is given unencumbered use of your property for long enough, it can become effectively THEIR property(easement or squat). YOU may even get to pay for the privilege! STILL, the government can take it back via "eminent domain"!

          Now, what were you talking about again?

          Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1003224].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Dave Patterson
            Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

            Technically, it is ILLEGAL to own a home in the US. When you BUILD a home(that you may have paid for with CASH), it has to go SOMEWHERE! If it is put on LAND that you may have paid CASH for, it becomes a FIXTURE! As such, it increases the value of the "LAND". That means it is no longer YOUR home, but basically the LANDS home! NOW, as to the land, you don't pay for IT, you pay for a deed saying you are allowed use of it free from certain encumbrances from the previous "owner". STILL, the city considers it THEIR property! THEIR property is considered property of the county, which is considered property of the state. If you don't pay the "property tax", they will take your property!

            HECK, if another person is given unencumbered use of your property for long enough, it can become effectively THEIR property(easement or squat). YOU may even get to pay for the privilege! STILL, the government can take it back via "eminent domain"!

            Now, what were you talking about again?

            Steve
            Ha...I wondered if anyone would bring this up...
            Signature
            Professional Googler
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1004664].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Killer Joe
          Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

          There will be snow cones in hell before I ever buy in an hoa.
          I currently have four properties that have HOA restrictions.

          If I ever buy another property that has HOA restrictions I'm going to have my head examined.

          That's if I don't commit myself first...

          At some point in time I thought it was a good idea. I'm tired of it now.

          KJ
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1003949].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author webpromotions
          Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

          Well technically, you dont really own the home in an hoa. When you buy, you have to be approved by the hoa. When you sell, you have to sell it back to the hoa (usually at the same price, regardless of the market, but they can sell it higher to the next person) so they can approve the next buyer.
          Thats not correct.

          My first home was in an HOA, and this definitely was not the case, neither when I was buying OR selling.
          My father and sister are both realtors (in AZ), and I even asked them about this comment neither of them had ever heard of this concept as far as ownership/sales go. Who you sell to is your own business. Whether or not the HOA likes them, well, thats another story, and thats their battle to take on AFTER the sale.

          Aside from that, the original thread about this is still a bunch of crap. I'll sit in my own home and smoke banana peels for all I care, and any HOA can kma. More people need to challenge these stupid restrictions that they try to impose and they'd quickly be put in their place.

          I lived in a condo once where the HOA charges were almost as much as the rent, but thats not the norm. Most of 'them' don't have the money for significant legal battles.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1007555].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MizzCindy
    Frankly, I think smoking is a disgusting, dangerous and deadly addiction. I want nothing to do with and I don't want to be around it at all. Now, anybody who wants to give me grief might as well save your breath. Until you spend time caring for a dying loved one (emphysema)...well, I just don't even want to hear it.

    Now, having said that. I deplore HOAs. My property is my own. Nobody should have the authority to restrict activities when someone is living lawfully in their own dwelling.

    While I have no desire to smoke in my home, I will fight for the right to do so. It's my property. My choice.

    Oh, did I mention that I detest HOAs?

    Cindy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1001268].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Derek Allen
    I agree with MizzCindy!
    Signature
    My Blog + Cool Stuff>> Self Made CEO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1001279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Emma Ngin
    Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

    Leader-Telegram Online

    I quit smoking a while ago, and personally i think tobacco should be outlawed. But until it is, this kind of stuff sounds unfair for people who are doing nothing illegal and are in their own homes.
    I totally agree with you with this one. I am a smoker, and whatever I do inside my own house is none of their business. It's not that smoking can be compared to smoking joints. Thanks for sharing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1001426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWD77
    Hey there that is plain rude. I think that if people cannot get over the fact that we breath air that is just as bad as the smoke then we got social issues. God people got the stick so far up their crack that they cannot even walk.

    Thanks,
    Dave
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1004836].message }}
  • I don't see why they don't legalize more stuff. Maybe not meth, crack, or heroin : ) but Pot for sure, I've never seen anyone want to go crazy and kill people while they were high, but alcohol kills people who don't even drink.

    Yeah, smoking anything is bad for your health, but the key operative word is YOUR. and if it's YOUR house, and YOUR body, and YOUR yard, maybe YOU are paying taxes to use the air for the small amount of time it is passing through YOUR airspace.

    Choosing to pollute it is moraly irresponsible, but heck, every time we drive we do the same thing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1007900].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Killer Joe
      One of the dangers of the Obmanation health care plan is that once they get it passed they will want to use it as a way to control our lives in ways people might never have imagined (unless you're Michael M )

      Any substance that the government declares as unhealthful and will impact health care costs would be easy prey for these morons.

      Big Macs? Forget 'em. Cigarettes? Gone.

      You name it, and unless some PAC is lining the pockets of our legislators all we'll be eating will be government cheese on our tofu.

      For the life of me I can't figure out how my generation (early boomers) ever lived to be as old as we are now that the lawyers have proved every dollar that doesn't go into their pockets is dollar for death.

      Government running our health care system? I'm hard pressed to find anything more repulsive.

      KJ
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1007974].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by Killer Joe View Post

        One of the dangers of the Obmanation health care plan is that once they get it passed they will want to use it as a way to control our lives in ways people might never have imagined (unless you're Michael M )

        Any substance that the government declares as unhealthful and will impact health care costs would be easy prey for these morons.

        Big Macs? Forget 'em. Cigarettes? Gone.

        You name it, and unless some PAC is lining the pockets of our legislators all we'll be eating will be government cheese on our tofu.

        For the life of me I can't figure out how my generation (early boomers) ever lived to be as old as we are now that the lawyers have proved every dollar that doesn't go into their pockets is dollar for death.

        Government running our health care system? I'm hard pressed to find anything more repulsive.

        KJ
        You know, I am hard pressed! Yesterday, Obama mentioned about the congress health care. If they REALLY cared, and were telling the truth, they would simply give ALL US citizens the SAME health care as CONGRESS!!!!!!! So WHY DON'T THEY????? Could it be that I was right and....

        1. They DON'T CARE!
        2. It DOES cost money!

        I AM seriously considering writing to biden. He said that paying money helps avert bankruptcy, and I want to suggest all I can to help the US! 8-)

        If they DO give us all "health care" I will get MORE insistent on saying what I have for YEARS! THEY should have the SAME healthcare WE have, and have to pay the same.

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009067].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
    damn him from saving us from our own stupidity
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1007977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sonam22
    Perhaps if the powers that be didn't cram this country full of people and build over the open spaces, we would be more inclined to do positive things instead of drinking, smoking and eating.
    Don't blame it all on the individual, this problem is a product of profit making.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009232].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sakura 08
    At least government have a good purposed for our own healht:rolleyes:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sakura 08
    At least government have a good purposed for our own health:rolleyes:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1009785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davidfernando
    Hey Motley,

    Thanks for the info, I will definitely pass it to my friends who are smokers. I hope it will make them quit smoking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1012459].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nitinjain
    I just feel that why government is trying to stop smoking form the user end. This is not the right way to stop smokers to stop smoking. Buy passing this kind of rules the tobacco company, wholesale and the retailers are not going to loose anything. The government should ban the manufacturing and the sales the of tobacco. This would be the right way and why they are doing the same.
    Signature

    Work for yourself not for the company.

    Real Estate in Mumbai | Mumbai Property | Mumbai Real Estate

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1012862].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StarPollux99
    Pretty soon a person won't be able to smoke even in their own car.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1013409].message }}

Trending Topics