Blame Genetics for Not Falling into the Elite 1% of Internet Marketers

by kk075
25 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
When I shared my personal story here a few months back, I mentioned throughout that I was constantly searching for that elite 1-2% of people who could sit at home in front of their computer all day, work like a maniac and continually churn out solid profits. Because let's face it; the process itself is not that difficult- you just build a site with great content, promote it around the web and eventually the money starts to flow into your bank account.

So the blueprint...the actual knowledge to make money online...that's not really a secret anymore. There is a lot to it with lots of fine-tuning, sure, but why is it that a good 98% of people give up while the other 1-2% succeed?

For that matter, why is it that the 98% struggle to even get started in the first place?

I came across this article today entitled, How to Genetically Engineer Your Children to be Rich, and it made me start to think- could being a successful online entrepreneur really come down to genetics? Is that why only a select few seem to stick with it?

As I was reading through the article, a few stats really jumped out at me-

- 90% of rich people failed before they hit it big
- 62% of the ultra-rich are extroverts
- 86% of wealthy people love to read
- 76% of all billionaires exercise frequently

Now I'm not so sure- do people come up short in online marketing because of a few missing/extra chromosomes? Or is it simply learned behavior that prevents them from finding success?

I thought it would be a great topic of conversation anyway, so let's discuss it. What do you think?
#blame #elite #falling #genetics #internet #marketers
  • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
    Ways to genetically engineer people has always been an interesting topic since biblical times, even Hitler tried it. But it never seemed to work out. Logically you'd think if the parents were successful the gene would get passed to the child.

    But as history and life would have it, it's not the case. Yes, blood type, looks, or even disposition can often be passed to children. But those have little or nothing to do with one's eventual success.

    As of this writing most successful parents haven't been able to pass on their genes for determination, work ethic, taking risk, facing failure, bouncing back from failure, persistence in the face of failure, dealing with critics and criticism and all the other qualities their successful parents dealt with.

    In fact, many times being raised with successful parents can work against you, if not careful. The pressures of living up to their image, not having to struggle or deal with failure can work against a person trying to achieve their own success. Maybe that's why many billionaires like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and others vowed not to leave an inheritance to their children.

    So, as usual the key to success in children is not determined so much by genetics ... as it is by inner drive and other intangibles along with access to resources, educational opportunities and role-model examples.
    Signature
    Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
    "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
    "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10069534].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rcbrown99
      Funny article! Thought provoking as well.

      If you read through it you actually come to the conclusion that genes are useful, but environment and habits are the most important to becoming wealthy.

      Entrepreneurs are, however, much more likely to have children who are entrepreneurs.

      Give me the internet entrepreneur genes! And the wealth genes!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10069550].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kk075
      Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

      Ways to genetically engineer people has always been an interesting topic since biblical times, even Hitler tried it. But it never seemed to work out. Logically you'd think if the parents were successful the gene would get passed to the child.

      But as history and life would have it, it's not the case. Yes, blood type, looks, or even disposition can often be passed to children. But those have little or nothing to do with one's eventual success.

      As of this writing most successful parents haven't been able to pass on their genes for determination, work ethic, taking risk, facing failure, bouncing back from failure, persistence in the face of failure, dealing with critics and criticism and all the other qualities their successful parents dealt with.

      In fact, many times being raised with successful parents can work against you, if not careful. The pressures of living up to their image, not having to struggle or deal with failure can work against a person trying to achieve their own success. Maybe that's why many billionaires like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and others vowed not to leave an inheritance to their children.

      So, as usual the key to success in children is not determined so much by genetics ... as it is by inner drive and other intangibles along with access to resources, educational opportunities and role-model examples.
      I agree with everything you said 100%...but where does that inner drive and the other intangibles come from? It is how we're raised as kids? It is just pure determination for each individual?

      That's what really fascinated me about the article. Thanks for your reply and insights though.

      Originally Posted by rcbrown99 View Post


      Entrepreneurs are, however, much more likely to have children who are entrepreneurs.

      Give me the internet entrepreneur genes! And the wealth genes!
      If that's true, then it means that I could be passed from generation to generation, doesn't it? Or is it more from a kid seeing a hard working parent that succeeds, so they learn to have that same drive and determination?
      Signature

      Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10069566].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cam Connor
      Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

      Ways to genetically engineer people has always been an interesting topic since biblical times, even Hitler tried it. But it never seemed to work out. Logically you'd think if the parents were successful the gene would get passed to the child.

      But as history and life would have it, it's not the case. Yes, blood type, looks, or even disposition can often be passed to children. But those have little or nothing to do with one's eventual success.

      As of this writing most successful parents haven't been able to pass on their genes for determination, work ethic, taking risk, facing failure, bouncing back from failure, persistence in the face of failure, dealing with critics and criticism and all the other qualities their successful parents dealt with.

      In fact, many times being raised with successful parents can work against you, if not careful. The pressures of living up to their image, not having to struggle or deal with failure can work against a person trying to achieve their own success. Maybe that's why many billionaires like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and others vowed not to leave an inheritance to their children.

      So, as usual the key to success in children is not determined so much by genetics ... as it is by inner drive and other intangibles along with access to resources, educational opportunities and role-model examples.
      I see a lot of confident opinions here... no data. Where are the facts ans statistics to back up your reasoning? At least the OP bothered to post an article to some research... you OTOH, just said a bunch of stuff which you undoubtedly want to be the truth.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10070864].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kk075
        Originally Posted by Cam Connor View Post

        I see a lot of confident opinions here... no data. Where are the facts ans statistics to back up your reasoning? At least the OP bothered to post an article to some research... you OTOH, just said a bunch of stuff which you undoubtedly want to be the truth.
        To be fair, there's not a ton of data on either side...that's why I thought the stats in that article were so darn interesting.

        Because if you look at all the billionaires out there that came from money, it's not a shock that they have money too. When you read about those types of families losing their fortune in the stock market though, how often do the 2nd generations succeed? I don't think the percentages would be very high- but I'm just guessing.

        But you take someone like Steve Jobs, Mark Cuban or someone who started with nothing in life, there has to be something inside them that makes them refuse to give up. Heck, Bill Gates lived inside a Volkswagen Beetle for a period of time because he was broke and got evicted, yet he's now one of the richest men in the world DESPITE giving away over half his wealth.

        So when we bring it back around to Internet Marketing, so many people here say that only 1-2% have the drive to succeed. And while it's not a fact, I'd say it's fairly accurate. But why? Is it DNA
        Signature

        Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10070894].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Cam Connor
          Originally Posted by kk075 View Post

          To be fair, there's not a ton of data on either side...that's why I thought the stats in that article were so darn interesting.
          You're wrong, there is a lot of data on genetics and its influence. Listen to some Stefan Molyneux, for example, he talks about it A LOT. Though you never see any of this information published because it's considered "non-PC"... even though the effects of it are BLATANTLY evident and all around us.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10070982].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kay King
            Nature, nurture have about equal influence on health - UPI.com

            Latest study says is almost an equal split between "nature and nurture".

            Years ago:

            ...we are the proud owners of a paltry 30,000 genes--barely twice the number of a fruit fly.

            "We simply do not have enough genes for this idea of biological determinism to be right," asserted Craig Venter, president of Celera Genomics, one of the two teams that cracked the human genome
            Signature
            Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
            ***
            Vegetarian, an ancient Mohawk Indian word that means "poor hunter"
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071429].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author discrat
            Originally Posted by Cam Connor View Post

            You're wrong, there is a lot of data on genetics and its influence. Listen to some Stefan Molyneux, for example, he talks about it A LOT. Though you never see any of this information published because it's considered "non-PC"... even though the effects of it are BLATANTLY evident and all around us.

            Kay, is this what you were talking about ( in bold) in Brian's thread the other day
            Signature

            Nothing to see here including a Sig so just move on :)

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071480].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Cali16
              Regardless of the limited role of genetics in terms of how successful a person is (or can be), one thing generally holds true: People who become successful don't sit around blaming external factors for their failures or lack of success.

              (I consider genetics "external" in this context because no one has control over their genetic makeup.)
              Signature
              If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071579].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
                Originally Posted by Cali16 View Post

                People who become successful don't sit around blaming external factors for their failures or lack of success.


                Good point there Cali. : )

                In fact for some people, "disadvantages" (genetic or otherwise) actually make them more determined.
                Signature
                "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10072018].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
                  Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

                  Good point there Cali. : )

                  In fact for some people, "disadvantages" (genetic or otherwise) actually make them more determined.
                  ha, ha ... you got that right brother. I'm a witness and many friends from my old neighborhood can vouch for that too.
                  Signature
                  Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
                  "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
                  "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10072347].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
                    Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

                    ha, ha ... you got that right brother. I'm a witness and many friends from my old neighborhood can vouch for that too.


                    Cool. You come across like a person who has truly worked for their success and started from "humble beginnings." : )
                    Signature
                    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10077505].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
                      Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

                      Cool. You come across like a person who has truly worked for their success and started from "humble beginnings." : )
                      I lived behind a 24/7 Tomato Processing Plant, literally behind it, so our house always had the smell of tomato paste. The dust from the constant 24/7 flow of trucks blew right through our front door in the summer.

                      The busiest freeway in central California was our back yard, the exhaust fumes made your eyes water on smoggy days. Most of the friends I hung out with are either in prison for gang violence or in the grave. So, yes you're right I came from humble beginnings.
                      Signature
                      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
                      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
                      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10078942].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author rcbrown99
                  Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

                  Good point there Cali. : )

                  In fact for some people, "disadvantages" (genetic or otherwise) actually make them more determined.
                  Every truly great man encountered great sorrow... and over came it.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10074027].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
        Originally Posted by The Niche Man
        Ways to genetically engineer people has always been an interesting topic since biblical times, even Hitler tried it. But it never seemed to work out. Logically you'd think if the parents were successful the gene would get passed to the child.

        But as history and life would have it, it's not the case. Yes, blood type, looks, or even disposition can often be passed to children. But those have little or nothing to do with one's eventual success.

        As of this writing most successful parents haven't been able to pass on their genes for determination, work ethic, taking risk, facing failure, bouncing back from failure, persistence in the face of failure, dealing with critics and criticism and all the other qualities their successful parents dealt with.

        In fact, many times being raised with successful parents can work against you, if not careful. The pressures of living up to their image, not having to struggle or deal with failure can work against a person trying to achieve their own success. Maybe that's why many billionaires like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and others vowed not to leave an inheritance to their children.

        So, as usual the key to success in children is not determined so much by genetics ... as it is by inner drive and other intangibles along with access to resources, educational opportunities and role-model examples.


        Originally Posted by Cam Connor View Post

        I see a lot of confident opinions here... no data. Where are the facts ans statistics to back up your reasoning? At least the OP bothered to post an article to some research... you OTOH, just said a bunch of stuff which you undoubtedly want to be the truth.
        Ah, actually most of the above statements were facts sir. You need links to an article for me to prove any of it is true? What part of it do you have a hard time believing? Not that you have to. Just curious.

        Originally Posted by Cam Connor View Post

        You're wrong, there is a lot of data on genetics and its influence. Listen to some Stefan Molyneux, for example, he talks about it A LOT. Though you never see any of this information published because it's considered "non-PC"... even though the effects of it are BLATANTLY evident and all around us.
        O.K, so what lots of "Data" on genetics does Stefan Molyneux offer up that proves genetics play a role in helping parents (or anyone) genetically engineer their children to be rich ...outside of access to educational opportunities, resources and role model examples? I'll wait here for your reply.
        Signature
        Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
        "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
        "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NeedBucksNow
    Good post but it sounds like it all comes down to your determination to win and drive to work hard for it. Most people just aren't willing to put in the long hours of work and years of persistence that are required to be successful online but I don't think there would be anything better than being able to look back and say "I did it"
    Signature

    HOW TO QUIT YOUR BORING JOB AND START MAKING MORE CASH MARKETING FROM YOUR HOME!
    http://needbucksnow.com/
    JOIN MAXBOUNTY TODAY AND I'LL SHOW YOU HOW I'M FINALLY MAKING MONEY ONLINE USING PPC!
    http://www.needbucksnow.com/top-cpa-offers/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10069585].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kk075
      Originally Posted by NeedBucksNow View Post

      Good post but it sounds like it all comes down to your determination to win and drive to work hard for it. Most people just aren't willing to put in the long hours of work and years of persistence that are required to be successful online but I don't think there would be anything better than being able to look back and say "I did it"
      Isn't that the best feeling in the world?

      I can still remember 10+ years ago; I'd be sitting at my computer typing away and my kids would say, "Dad, come play catch with us outside." I'd reply, "Sorry, daddy's working right now"...and they'd look at me with this blank stare. Then they'd say, "But you're at your computer...you play games on the computer..."

      Once I started taking on a few bigger clients and making solid money though, they'd say, "How can you afford to take us to Disney world? Everybody says you don't have a job and we're broke." Even then...when I was spending big money on my family they still didn't completely understand that I was working my butt off and carving out a career from nothing.

      So yeah, that realization from others close to you is huge...there aren't too many other situations to compare it to. It's an amazing feeling.
      Signature

      Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10069636].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Knightsofusa
    Having a succesful parents doesn't always favor upon offspring. Take for example
    'Call Girl Killer' Alix Tichelman pleads guilty, sentenced to 6 years in jail | Local News - KSBW Home

    Her father is a CEO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10069739].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author abilify182
    Personally I would not leave it up to fate. Whatever happens to me is my own doing, and not something handed to me or predetermined. Success or failures... it's all because I either let them make me or break me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10069806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nmwf
    I really hate these kinds of reports because they literally dance around the real issue: money.

    Success revolves around money. Period.

    So it's an issue of economics (income, education, influential contacts) and funding.

    Anything else is just a bunch of B.S.
    Signature
    Write comprehensible articles on *any* topic in seconds with First Draft...
    First Draft's: Download | Add-Ons | Templates | Purchase | Support | Affiliates
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10069825].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by NeedBucksNow View Post

      Good post but it sounds like it all comes down to your determination to win and drive to work hard for it. Most people just aren't willing to put in the long hours of work and years of persistence that are required to be successful online but I don't think there would be anything better than being able to look back and say "I did it"
      No, one of the top feelings is to realise that you have done it, or become wealthy!

      Most people are not fanatical enough about wealth, period!


      You need to stare into the abyss for years on end, before striking it rich!


      Most people can't handle that kind of lifestyle, so listen to others and work hard to eventually p**** it all away and go on the pension.

      And if their health fails or their costs go up, but their pension doesn't, then their enjoyment of life is pretty low!

      Basically they go live in a shopping centre, sitting on one of those nice chairs in the walkways staring at a nice shopfront, because their house is too hot, and they can't afford to cool it!


      Yeah, when someone squarks about me getting a safe, secure job, l want to be sick then strangle them.


      I have been online for about 7 years, tried pretty much everything, most of it didn't work, but l refused to give in.

      Now, l am putting everything into my flyer graphics business, and it is showing good results.

      And best of all, it compounds. This year l hypothetically make $5000, next year l make that plus what l make from any new works!

      I can retire knowing that l have this online cashcow, and that l can add to that income by doing something l love.


      The other option sounds far more risky when viewed against the second.


      Genetics, don't know, herd thinking and brainwashing, more than likely!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10069882].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rcbrown99
      Originally Posted by nmwf View Post

      I really hate these kinds of reports because they literally dance around the real issue: money.

      Success revolves around money. Period.

      So it's an issue of economics (income, education, influential contacts) and funding.

      Anything else is just a bunch of B.S.
      If you actually read the article it says exactly that: "First off, and this can't be taken too lightly, the most powerful, sure fire way to make sure your children get rich, is to be rich yourself!"

      It actually says that genetics aren't enough - you have to work hard and create healthy habits in your work and life to be successful, which I totally agree with. I think that's the key actually - success is a habit, not an accident.

      But yes, in terms of making sure your kids are wealthy, it is very much an economics issue. If you are rich, your kids have a VERY high chance of being rich.

      So to apply your point to ourselves, if we want to make a lot of money, we should probably consider finding a "dad" (a mentor) who has already made a lot of money doing what we want to do and get his knowledge and resources.

      Sometimes you don't even need a mentor. Just hang around successful people.

      In my own online marketing business, I have found that going to conferences and events with my biggest clients always results in new clients, sometimes bigger than the client I came with. Wealth by association.

      "You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with." - Jim Rohn

      Perhaps this is epigenetics in action?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10070847].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by kk075 View Post


    As I was reading through the article, a few stats really jumped out at me-

    - 90% of rich people failed before they hit it big
    - 62% of the ultra-rich are extroverts
    - 86% of wealthy people love to read
    - 76% of all billionaires exercise frequently

    Now I'm not so sure- do people come up short in online marketing because of a few missing/extra chromosomes? Or is it simply learned behavior that prevents them from finding success?

    I thought it would be a great topic of conversation anyway, so let's discuss it. What do you think?
    There are sooo many variables.

    Testosterone levels affect behaviour, our desire to compete, our need to dominate.....And testosterone levels are influenced by genetics, nutrition during pregnancy, environment, exercise....

    And there are two basic ways to raise a child; One is to basically let them grow on their own..providing for their basic needs, but that's about it.

    The people that usually turn out the most successful, are supported by their parents, who involve themselves in team sports, school activities, social events, they go to college.....and the parents involve themselves fully with the kid's activities.

    Anyone can become very successful. But the odds increase depending on upbringing, experience, biology, race, intelligence, whether their parent's were in business,....and lots more.

    One thing wealthy people do not have, is the feeling that making more money than someone else, is bad. And that wealthy people are somehow evil. It's very hard to overcome that view.

    Just observations.
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

    What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10070670].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      One thing wealthy people do not have, is the feeling that making more money than someone else, is bad. And that wealthy people are somehow evil. It's very hard to overcome that view.
      bingo! - I have a friend who I rarely see any more. She believes money is the root of all evil. She and her husband are always broke. I don't know how many times I argued with her about this. I asked her if I make more money than her does that mean I'm evil?
      She couldn't answer.

      There are many poor people who believe that money is evil. And until they change their relationship with money, they will always be poor.
      Signature
      ---------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10074778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Genetics may play a role, however if a person is serious about being successful, that won't stop them. (And, they won't use it as an excuse ...)

    Anyone can be in the top 1% of Internet Marketers providing they have the right mindset(s), beliefs, and work ethic. (IMO.)

    Originally Posted by kk075 View Post

    90% of rich people failed before they hit it big.
    Interesting. : ) I would say that filters out a lot of people right there. Napoleon Hill ("Think And Grow Rich") made a similar observation in that for many people success came one step after "failure."
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10070689].message }}

Trending Topics