by lisag
27 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
What else is there to say?
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Wow - we knew it was on the way, but it's still a surprise when it actually happens.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1119115].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patrician
    That is shocking. Just a few days ago he was worried about filling his spot quickly.

    For better or worse he was a trooper...

    RIP TK -
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1119128].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
      Originally Posted by KimW View Post

      Trying to get the news out is not a bad thing. If it bothers you so much, why are you even commenting. You aren't missing any prize by not being the first to post, but you sure won one for the tasteless post.
      Plus, a thread like this isn't so much about sharing the news with others who may not have heard it. Instead, it's a central point that WF members can gather and express their thoughts, if they'd like. Hence the name "discussion forum."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120103].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author talfighel
      Originally Posted by MarkKennedy View Post

      I can't quite figure out why people on this forum feel the need to report news that every one of us can see on any number of news outlets. Is there some desire to be the first to post something on here? Or am I missing out on some prize by not posting inane stuff like this?
      I did not hear this news because I did not open the TV yet, August 26, so this is the first place that I heard about His death.

      Prayers and love to his family on this sad day.

      Tal
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120266].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    The end of an era.
    RIP.
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1119814].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
    How sad for the family since Eunice Shriver died just a few weeks ago. RIP.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1119870].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    Originally Posted by Star69 View Post

    Oh, get real, Kim! Teddy Kennedy = Politics. It's not like any of you were personal friends of his or anything and so far no one has mentioned one thing he did outside of politics.

    I thought political topics were not allowed here. I was banned for it for a month, so what's up with this?

    Quite frankly, I'm glad the illegal amnesty sympathizer is gone.
    No, Ted Kennedy= a man that has just died.
    A man dying does not equal politics,and even if you want to equate it to that, start your own thread instead of tainting one which was created to honor the man.
    Post like this do not diminish the man, they diminish the poster.
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120276].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
    That sucks. Is that all the kennedy's? i thought there was like one or two younger kennedy's around
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120285].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      I've followed the Kennedy family and their struggles for years. I can't
      remember any other family with so many tragedies. John F, Robert, John Jr.

      My mother used to wonder how the mother survived burying not one, but
      two sons.

      I sometimes wonder if this family wasn't cursed, even though I don't really
      believe in those things.

      Just sad how much they've had to live through.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120315].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
      Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

      That sucks. Is that all the kennedy's? i thought there was like one or two younger kennedy's around
      Just found this:

      Sen. Kennedy's death leaves 1 Kennedy sibling - Yahoo! News

      Looks like the only sibling left is Jean Kennedy Smith.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    Michael,I believe he is the last of the orginal family,but yes, there are many children and grandchildren arund.
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120298].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cimbah
      Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of Ted Kennedy and I respect that. But regardless of what you think of him as a person, he and his family are a part of American history. Ted's death will get a lot of press because he was a Kennedy. Like it or not, it is what it is. You can't change history and the influence the Kennedy family had and and continues to have on our history.

      My condolences go out to the family as they deal with yet another death.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
    I thought i saw one that LOOKED like a kennedy. Same hair, toothy grin..etc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
    its not a political thread. its a thread about a politician.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120777].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      I guess I don't see the point. Anyone watching news today will learn about Kennedy's death. You can't say anything about a politician's life without a mention of politics.

      It wasn't a surprise and the fact Steve mentioned was a clear signal to me that the end was close. I remember thinking "he's going to bat for his party one last time".

      Where political discussion isn't allowed, once you say "he died" there's nothing much left, is there? There was more to the man than his politics - but that's all most of us knew about him.

      kay
      Signature
      Be the person your dog thinks you are.

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120820].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    Kay, the point is the same as when Michael Jackson died, or Les Paul or Ed Mcmahon or even my father.
    Or how about the person whose death brought about even more headlines than Michael Jackson, Princess Diana?
    All these people have touched others lives in one way or another, and whether someone personally likes someone or not,they should get a level of respect in death.It takes a lack of class in my opinion to attack somone that has just passed.
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120885].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    And it should be mentioned, After having 3 brothers killed all for their country, one in WWII and the two others assassinated, Ted became the father for all their kids and was under extreme pressure his entire life, even if you take away politics.
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120890].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
    I've always wondered if ted made a deal somewhere. Every other kennedy man, especially the ones in politics were taken out, except him. I wonder why fate spared him this long. I remember reading something one time that there was a curse on the kennedy family from something that happened back in joe kennedy's day
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120894].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
    I agree with Kim. This isn't the thread to put him down, argue politics, etc.

    For example, here's an article about what world leaders are saying about him: World leaders rush to pay tribute to Kennedy - Yahoo! News


    And I'm sure that other senators are stepping forward and offering statements. But even those that vehemently disagreed with him aren't going to put forth the reasons they disagreed with him... not today. You're not going to hear a conservative Senator say, "Ted Kennedy sucked eggs." Maybe later, but not today.

    Instead, they'll offer their sympathies and maybe praise him on a strength. Today, if they don't have anything neutral or nice to say, they probably won't say anything at all. It's no fair beating up on a man who can't defend himself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1120935].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
    Here's the problem with these type of threads, and I think both sides will
    agree.

    While it shouldn't be a political thread, the fact remains, the man was a
    politician.

    Those who liked him and respected him and also want to respect the rules
    of this forum (no politics) will honor both rules and maybe talk about what
    a good father he was or whatever, but will keep politics out of it.

    The problem is, those who did not like him (who is liked by everybody?) will
    feel left out and more importantly than that, will feel that the thread itself
    is tilted unfairly because all anybody is seeing is the nice things being said.
    They will therefore not be able to restrain themselves from turning this
    political in order to get THEIR views heard.

    It's not right but it is what it is because THAT is human nature. And for
    any of us who truly want to just honor the man to expect it to go any
    other way is unrealistic BECAUSE of the fact that it's human nature.

    It is for that reason that I even hesitated to participate in this thread
    because I knew from the very first post where this was going to go.

    It was inevitable.

    Personally, these are the threads that I watch carefully to decide who I
    will and will not EVER do business with.

    Take that for what it means to you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1121405].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Originally Posted by Star69 View Post

    Respect for the dead, what a weird concept. Just because someone left means all of a sudden we have to show them respect? Think about it.

    I suppose that when George W. Bush finally kicks the bucket you guys will all honor him for being such an outstanding man, even though he's responsible for the mass murder of hundreds of thousands and got away with it.

    I wonder how much Mary Jo's family respects him now that he's dead.
    That is pure speculation on your part. On the other hand, we see for a FACT what type person you are.

    Facts vs. pure guessing. What a strong argument you make.

    BTW, I'm not a Reagan fan by any means, but I can honestly say I shed a tear when he was shot. He was elected as my president, therefore he was my president, despite any disagreements I may have had with him over policies and I didn't want him to die. Not be re-elected yes, but die just so someone "better" would take office, not on your life.

    Ted Kennedy was also duly elected and you show just how little you really respect democracy.

    As far as Bush goes, I may not respect the man, but I sure will respect his death.

    How do we get you banned again?
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1121470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patrician
    Originally Posted by Star69 View Post

    Respect for the dead, what a weird concept. Just because someone left means all of a sudden we have to show them respect? Think about it.

    I suppose that when George W. Bush finally kicks the bucket you guys will all honor him for being such an outstanding man, even though he's responsible for the mass murder of hundreds of thousands and got away with it.

    I wonder how much Mary Jo's family respects him now that he's dead.
    I have come to a few conclusions - one is that people who start **** in a thread are like agent provacateurs. They will cause a conflict so that the thread will be deleted, and/or they will make it into a taboo topic so it will get deleted.

    I vehemently disagree with SOME OF Ted K's POLICIES. However he was a MAN - he was a fallible HUMAN BEING - he made mistakes. So have we all.

    Out of respect for those Americans who believed him, out of respect for his family WHO SERVED THIS COUNTRY, AND DIED FOR IT,

    ...and most of all for the Warriors who feel like 'paying respect' could all those who have ugliness on the brain possibly contain yourselves????

    I promise not to DIS you when you die.

    :confused:
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1121519].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Originally Posted by Star69 View Post

    Respect for the dead, what a weird concept. Just because someone left means all of a sudden we have to show them respect? Think about it.

    I suppose that when George W. Bush finally kicks the bucket you guys will all honor him for being such an outstanding man, even though he's responsible for the mass murder of hundreds of thousands and got away with it.

    I wonder how much Mary Jo's family respects him now that he's dead.
    Hey -he's beyond any damned thing we can say or think about him now. What keeping the peace during these times does is comfort others who are grieved by his death. They are the ones that the words cut - not the Senator.

    I will say - as I said during Jackson's passing --------Just give some respect to those who morn.

    I agree with Kurt and Michael - this is not the time to discuss how you felt about the man. Show some respect for those who grieve.

    RIP Ted -- wherever you went.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1121662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author D.K. Magnus
    Do you think having your 3 eldest brothers(who he probably looked up to) killed, 2 publicly assassinated, might make you go off the deep end, behavior wise?

    Maybe cause you to drink too much, maybe cloud your judgement?

    Unless you've been there, it probably isn't something you should comment on.

    And yes it happened in my family when I was 22.
    Signature
    For unique, high quality articles go to http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...ent-great.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1121846].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
      One of the greatest Senators in our history. Too bad he went this year, Obama could have really used his experience and skills with the health care reform effort which was Kennedy's main goal for decades.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1122562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ellis
    He was a good public servant. I wish the best to his family... cancer sucks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1122580].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author studygm
    What a great man from an amazing dynasty that did a lot for this country.
    Signature

    Cool tips and articles exclusively on
    www.blog.studygrandmaster.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1130431].message }}

Trending Topics