What's the biggest kick you get from Marketing?

9 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Gaining an enquiry for a big order is one of the most satisfying parts of being in marketing for me (hey, we all have our kicks, right?)

My personal biggest number so far is an enquiry of 64.3K worth of product.
(A little context for this helps, I work within the oil and gas business and our products aren't cheap.)

So, I'm interested to know - what are your personal kicks?
#biggest #kick #marketing
  • Profile picture of the author Marcus W K Wong
    I have a few kicks from Marketing, here's a mini list of what Marcus loves:

    - Talking in third person
    - Irony
    - Alphabetised Lists


    But in all seriousness, I get kicks from:

    - Seeing a good visual design (digital and physical, physical marketing flyers that look, feel, smell, sound and potentially - taste good!)
    - Applying black hat techniques in non-SEO forms of marketing (yeah, living on the edge is fun!)
    - Reading copy that sounds like it speaks to me, rather than text that assumes I'm studying for a dissertation
    - Juggling my love/hate relationship with Gmail + Outlook, then mastering Email Marketing
    - New funnel/conversion designs and lead capture machines that are so deep in complexity it's looks simple
    - Split testing and living Einstein's "...the definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result."

    All in all, these are things that I enjoy conversing over - not just appreciating for the "kicks". The bigger picture of course, is getting the kick out of being the authority to what you do. I love it when people ask me about Email Marketing! The adrenaline still kicks in the second, third, fourth, even the hundredth time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10871031].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author princetotem
      Originally Posted by WFMarcus View Post

      I have a few kicks from Marketing, here's a mini list of what Marcus loves:

      - Talking in third person
      - Irony
      - Alphabetised Lists


      But in all seriousness, I get kicks from:

      - Seeing a good visual design (digital and physical, physical marketing flyers that look, feel, smell, sound and potentially - taste good!)
      - Applying black hat techniques in non-SEO forms of marketing (yeah, living on the edge is fun!)
      - Reading copy that sounds like it speaks to me, rather than text that assumes I'm studying for a dissertation
      - Juggling my love/hate relationship with Gmail + Outlook, then mastering Email Marketing
      - New funnel/conversion designs and lead capture machines that are so deep in complexity it's looks simple
      - Split testing and living Einstein's "...the definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result."

      All in all, these are things that I enjoy conversing over - not just appreciating for the "kicks". The bigger picture of course, is getting the kick out of being the authority to what you do. I love it when people ask me about Email Marketing! The adrenaline still kicks in the second, third, fourth, even the hundredth time.
      Great list Marcus!
      Split testing can be particularly interesting, I agree. I'm glad you get a kick out of sharing knowledge.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10871911].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
    Banned
    Originally Posted by princetotem View Post

    Gaining an enquiry for a big order is one of the most satisfying parts of being in marketing for me (hey, we all have our kicks, right?)

    My personal biggest number so far is an enquiry of 64.3K worth of product.
    (A little context for this helps, I work within the oil and gas business and our products aren't cheap.)

    So, I'm interested to know - what are your personal kicks?
    An inquiry on a huge order and $1.00 will get you a piping hot coffee at Mickey D's.

    You are too easily aroused. :-)

    Frank
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10871290].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author princetotem
      Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

      An inquiry on a huge order and $1.00 will get you a piping hot coffee at Mickey D's.

      You are too easily aroused. :-)

      Frank
      Let me guess...because I didn't make the 'sale'? How presumptuous of you.
      No need for bitterness.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10871904].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by princetotem View Post

        Let me guess...because I didn't make the 'sale'? How presumptuous of you. No need for bitterness.
        Nothing presumptuous or bitter about it. Just stating a fact. I realize that facts can be perceived as pesky things. Can you dispute my fact? No - so instead, you lash out. We see a good deal of that around here.

        Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10872230].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author princetotem
          Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

          Nothing presumptuous or bitter about it. Just stating a fact. I realize that facts can be perceived as pesky things. Can you dispute my fact? No - so instead, you lash out. We see a good deal of that around here.

          Frank
          Stating a fact would be stating the truth, if it was the case...but you didn't know if it was the case or not, therefore that makes it pretty presumptuous in my book. Please stick to the thread topic!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10872269].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
            Banned
            Originally Posted by princetotem View Post

            Stating a fact would be stating the truth, if it was the case...but you didn't know if it was the case or not, therefore that makes it pretty presumptuous in my book. Please stick to the thread topic!
            Trust me. I know. lol

            Frank
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10872334].message }}
  • Figure sum pointy shoe,
    rammed up backaya,
    gonna fall out
    onya tongue sumtime,
    heel first
    an' fulla burst.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10872144].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    all blacks penalty
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10876299].message }}

Trending Topics