57 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
please delete...thanks
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Patagonia is relatively unpopulated and inexpensive.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2079867].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    MAN, I viewed Australia as more laid back!

    Originally Posted by Ernie Lonardo View Post

    I'm just having a bad day and need to vent.

    The cops pulled me over the other night because I have a nice car and they got nothing better to do then hassle innocent people.

    After stopping me and breath testing me (I cleared it 0% alcohol), of course that wasnt good enough for the wankers.

    They proceeded to look around the outside of my car for which seemed like 10minutes....then they got me to test everything lights, brakes etc all which were fine,

    Then they finally say that my exhaust system is too low it needs to be 10cm....and mine is way off:rolleyes:

    That copper must of had great eye sight since it was pitch black and he had a torch and just made a guess.

    The next day I take it to the mechanic to get "fixed" because oh no we cant have it too low..yeah like that makes a fricken difference I been driving it 2 years with no problems.

    Anyway the mechanic measures it and its 9.5cm off the ground! A bloody half a CM "too low".
    Did you do ANYTHING to get pulled over? In the US, this CAN happen if you swerve too much. SOME cops MIGHT do this if you have a bad tail light, and continue the rest if things are OK.

    Anyway it gets fixed and I pay the guy and Im happy its all over..oh so I thought.

    I go to the cop station to clear the defect but they tell me they cant do it even with me showing them the mechanic reciept...

    They say I need to go to a vechicle inspection place (a government/police own place) to clear it because they need to properly inspect it (yeah because its hard to get a f'n ruler and measure it right then and there...or just look at my mechanic recipet.


    Anyway I ring this place and they tell me they will need to inspect the whole car (surely to try and pin some other ridiculous rule on me) and its going to cost $143!

    Then once they do that I need to pay another $25 to finally clear the defect.

    So I need to waste $200 all because of some moron cops and half a cm
    ALL THAT happens in California in the US and probably other areas. The police are not allowed to clear you, except maybe for lights. You need a certificate that must be issued by a certified place using special machines and a chip must be included to the DMV. There is a COST for all that! Of course, that requires testing which is ALSO charged for. BTW the test includes even gas leaskage from the gas cap, as well as pollution and engine efficiency. AND they check idle speed and your car actually HAS to pollute! If you could get CO to ZERO, for example, your car would FAIL! WHY? Because they would assume the sensors aren't installed or you are cheating some other way! Of course, it can't pollute TOO much.

    Trust me guys you dont want to come here, this country is the biggest nanny state of all.

    Were the 1st country to ban all graphics on cigarettes....soon all of them will have to appear in plain packaging all looking the same....yeah like thats going to make a fn difference!

    They are basically doubling the price of cigarettes to "reduce smoking" yeah more like double their tax revenues.

    And now they might breath test pedestrians to save them from walking on to the roads and getting hit by cars!

    Guess how many people die per year from this scenario....10!

    They want to inconvenience millions of people to save 10 lives! 10 lives dont mean sqaut in the grand scheme of things

    and whats worst of all is that the majority of the Australian public think all these ideas are good! What a bunch of brainwashed stupid sheep.

    Wish I wasnt born here..or atleast lived in the 70's and 80's when life wasnt so BS.
    Well, I AGREE with THAT! Maybe 10 died from that but if 10 died from that, you could bet at least 1000 came close to that. And what of all the OTHER stuff that happened?

    Then again, there should be a REASON to start doing it. In the US, staying in one place for too long could subject you to such things. Maybe not a breathalyzer, but questions, maybe a search, maybe a ticket. Loitering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2079910].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ugly Dog
      I guess we'll cancel our trip... LOL Things in the U.S. aren't much better these days. Big government is the achilles heal of mankind. The information age is a huge contributor of that...you can't fart these days without it registering on someone's database. Hey, at least we can afford such things as food and cars though. Beats Haiti.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2079931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lawrh
    You're welcome here in Canada. Our politicians are stupid, but not nearly as intrusive as the U.S. or what you describe. Lots of your countrymen here.
    Signature

    “Strategy without action is a day-dream; action without strategy is a nightmare.” – Old Japanese proverb -

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2079948].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Lawrh View Post

      You're welcome here in Canada. Our politicians are stupid, but not nearly as intrusive as the U.S. or what you describe. Lots of your countrymen here.
      Actually, canada is pretty strict on their borders about goods, and have declared the days of draft dodger amnesty OVER. and the US is a good filter on the south.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2079956].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kurt
        Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

        Actually, canada is pretty strict on their borders about goods, and have declared the days of draft dodger amnesty OVER. and the US is a good filter on the south.

        Steve
        Yeah, we don't want those pesky canucks sneaking into Mexico, eh.
        Signature
        Serious about Print on Demand? Discover how YOU can join my FREE exclusive secret alliance
        Plus how to get my Print on Demand Treasure Maps for FREE
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2079968].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
      Originally Posted by Lawrh View Post

      You're welcome here in Canada. Our politicians are stupid, but not nearly as intrusive as the U.S. or what you describe. Lots of your countrymen here.
      Thanks Lawrence. Laughed outloud at that one. Hey, our politicians aren't the
      sharpest knives in the drawer, either. Intrusive... hell, we're setting all new
      standards for intrusiveness. Come on down...

      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post


      Now, connect the dots on this. If the policemen are bored out of their skulls... what does that say about crime in your area?
      Doesn't necessarily mean there's low crime. Maybe the cops there are
      bored and lazy... ?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2200522].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lou Diamond
    Hello,
    you did not say anything bad about the girls, so I still have your country on my visit list.
    The thing about police man is when they pull you over it is all about attitude, if you stay in your car and have your seatbelt on and stay off your cell phone you may be able to talk your way out of an infraction.
    Signature

    Something new soon.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2079972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rich Struck
    I love Australia and I lived there for a year but yes, you are right, they have way too many laws and sadly, the people just put up with it. Australians are very nice people but maybe that is the problem, they are too nice when it comes to tolerating the government.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2080023].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      It's a big world - if you don't like where you live, pick somewhere else.

      You only live once - no sense being in a place you don't like.
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2080409].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
        You know Kay although you're right....

        It's not that easy unfortunately...

        I have all my friends and a family here I couldn't leave em...

        But a holiday sounds good


        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        It's a big world - if you don't like where you live, pick somewhere else.

        You only live once - no sense being in a place you don't like.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2080654].message }}
  • I second this guy's sentiment. No-one should come to Australia, and half the people should leave... it's way too overcrowded!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2080427].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author salegurus
      Originally Posted by NikNikAndCauliflower View Post

      I second this guy's sentiment. No-one should come to Australia, and half the people should leave... it's way too overcrowded!
      What? there are only about 22Million people in Aus, how is that overcrowded, or did i miss a joke.

      I have heard that Australia has alot of restrictive laws but getting a ticket or whatever you guys call it for 0.5cm is pathetic.
      I just hope the USA is not heading in the same direction with the Gov looking over your shoulder 24/7
      Signature
      Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

      ― George Carlin
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2080515].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
        I think he was serious......I think

        We may have a small population...but remember a lot of out land is desert which people cant live in......and we only have 8 cities, so people are not as spread out as in the USA.





        Originally Posted by salegurus View Post

        What? there are only about 22Million people in Aus, how is that overcrowded, or did i miss a joke.

        I have heard that Australia has alot of restrictive laws but getting a ticket or whatever you guys call it for 0.5cm is pathetic.
        I just hope the USA is not heading in the same direction with the Gov looking over your shoulder 24/7
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2080639].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by salegurus View Post

        What? there are only about 22Million people in Aus, how is that overcrowded, or did i miss a joke.

        I have heard that Australia has alot of restrictive laws but getting a ticket or whatever you guys call it for 0.5cm is pathetic.
        I just hope the USA is not heading in the same direction with the Gov looking over your shoulder 24/7
        The US is ALREADY THERE! I don't know about NOW, but do you realize that a LOT of computer owners before say the 1990s were LAWBREAKERS!!!!!! It's TRUE! The FCC could probably come in take the computers and FINE them! And most computer STORES could have been shut down by the FTC and FCC!

        WHY? Class A computers are not to be used in residences. And even most computers today probably aren't really certified class B.

        Just something we never think about....

        The Apple II was technically NOT a class B device! Hidden in the directions were instructions to wind the cord over a ferrite core, and statements about interference. WHY!?!?!? To allow it to be a class B device.

        And I already said how even a leak in the gas tank cover could cause your car to FAIL certification. If you FAILED, you were to pay up to a certain amount to fix it before you could get it waived. Until it passed, or was waived, you couldn't register the car, and could get tickets.

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2081230].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas
    Originally Posted by Ernie Lonardo View Post

    ...they got nothing better to do then hassle innocent people.

    ...that wasnt good enough for the wankers.

    ...yeah like that makes a fricken difference...

    ...(yeah because its hard to get a f'n ruler...

    ...surely to try and pin some other ridiculous rule on me...

    ...some moron cops...

    ...the biggest nanny state of all.

    ...like thats going to make a fn difference!

    ...brainwashed stupid sheep.
    No doubt you made a point of telling them alll that?

    Mystery solved! :rolleyes:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2080634].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
      Nope not at all...:p

      I was infact VERY nice to them...even thanking them as they were about to leave.....I don't know why the hell should I thank them....but I did anyway.

      Most cops are the same...bunch of power hungry morons who have no emotional side and act like robots. You cant even talk to them without them blurting out the rules or saying "dont argue with me" when you were just asking them a question very nicely. (that was the previous time I got pulled over)

      I've been pulled over 3 random times this year.




      Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

      No doubt you made a point of telling them alll that? Mystery solved.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2080644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dcristo
    Thank the pigs? **** that. What car do you drive? They see a certain type of car and think to themselves, here is another sucker we can defect.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2080695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    to be fair that happens everywhere. hey were going to get you for something. Thank god you had no drugs or been drinking
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2081097].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pappyy3
      I think you seriously need to take a chill pill.

      Whilst I don't support the amount of stupid regulations the Aust Govt has been introducing of late, the one thing I don't think they are doing enough of is Road Safety, the growing incidence of youth alcohol violence, and a horrific public transport system.

      One thing that you have forgotten to mention is that the majority of fatal road accidents in Australia are caused by drivers from 18 to 25 years of age.

      That is why the police are targeting the younger drivers.

      Unfortunately these kids think they are invincible and drive high powered and sometimes unroadworthy vehicles, travel at dangerous speeds placing the public in danger and basically have no regard for the law.

      There is one incident which especially sticks in my mind where 5 young people were killed in a car that lost control and hit a tree.

      The drivers family jumped in to say what a good person the driver was etc etc. Then we find out that this person has prior drinking and speeding convictions, was driving drunk, no license, speeding and had stolen the car from his family for a joyride with friends. Good kid ?? I think not

      In these cases I think the Police are TOO SOFT. Get the idiots off the road and everyone will be happier and safer.
      Signature

      Tonster

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2081326].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
    Same thing happening all over Europe.

    Relax.

    At least you have cool surf, blondies and a good way of life.

    Signature
    People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2081248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mwashington
    Been gone awhile due to sickness but thought I would respond to your post. I always thought Australia was a beautiful and unique country with some very good rules but I guess I must have overlooked the government overreaching a little too much. But anyway I love those Australian accents. I played basketball and baseball on the college and professional level and remember the great Australian tennis players that came to America to play. People mostly remember what they want to remember I guess and I loved those Australians. There must be some things you like about the place you can mention right.
    Signature

    Manuel Washington
    Internet Marketing Consultant Of The Future
    phone:479 619 5964
    skypeme:physical2006

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2081366].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WilliamL
    I was thinking of taking a year out and come to Australia to work, have fun and decide what I want to do further. Believe me: If you were living in Europe, there is not a different in the gov control. Australia, Canada or US.... I have to decide soon...
    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2081474].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
    Are you some type of recognizable minority or something like that?

    TL
    Signature

    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2081607].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Thomas
      Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

      Are you some type of recognizable minority or something like that?
      Judging from his profile picture, I'd say Ernie falls in with the 92%(ish) of the Australian population who are of European ancestry, unless people who wear sunglasses are a minority in Australia (although, since it lies about 2 miles from the surface of the Sun, I'd imagine those who don't wear sunglasses are the minority).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2083396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maidmarion
    Hey, Australia isn't so bad! You could always go back to where you came from, is it better there? No place is perfect but I agree some of our rules are stupid!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2083747].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author drwhogoesthere
    Originally Posted by Ernie Lonardo View Post

    I'm just having a bad day and need to vent.

    The cops pulled me over the other night because I have a nice car and they got nothing better to do then hassle innocent people.

    After stopping me and breath testing me (I cleared it 0% alcohol), of course that wasnt good enough for the wankers.

    They proceeded to look around the outside of my car for which seemed like 10minutes....then they got me to test everything lights, brakes etc all which were fine,

    Then they finally say that my exhaust system is too low it needs to be 10cm....and mine is way off:rolleyes:

    That copper must of had great eye sight since it was pitch black and he had a torch and just made a guess.

    The next day I take it to the mechanic to get "fixed" because oh no we cant have it too low..yeah like that makes a fricken difference I been driving it 2 years with no problems.

    Anyway the mechanic measures it and its 9.5cm off the ground! A bloody half a CM "too low".

    Anyway it gets fixed and I pay the guy and Im happy its all over..oh so I thought.

    I go to the cop station to clear the defect but they tell me they cant do it even with me showing them the mechanic reciept...

    They say I need to go to a vechicle inspection place (a government/police own place) to clear it because they need to properly inspect it (yeah because its hard to get a f'n ruler and measure it right then and there...or just look at my mechanic recipet.


    Anyway I ring this place and they tell me they will need to inspect the whole car (surely to try and pin some other ridiculous rule on me) and its going to cost $143!

    Then once they do that I need to pay another $25 to finally clear the defect.

    So I need to waste $200 all because of some moron cops and half a cm

    Trust me guys you dont want to come here, this country is the biggest nanny state of all.

    Were the 1st country to ban all graphics on cigarettes....soon all of them will have to appear in plain packaging all looking the same....yeah like thats going to make a fn difference!

    They are basically doubling the price of cigarettes to "reduce smoking" yeah more like double their tax revenues.

    And now they might breath test pedestrians to save them from walking on to the roads and getting hit by cars!

    Guess how many people die per year from this scenario....10!

    They want to inconvenience millions of people to save 10 lives! 10 lives dont mean sqaut in the grand scheme of things

    and whats worst of all is that the majority of the Australian public think all these ideas are good! What a bunch of brainwashed stupid sheep.

    Wish I wasnt born here..or atleast lived in the 70's and 80's when life wasnt so BS.
    My suggestion to you is to GO AWAY AND MULTIPLY (ie **** off)

    How dare you attack the country that has taken you in and given you endless opportunities?

    Yes we have problems but so does every country in the world. And unlike a lot of other countries we deal with our problems through peaceful, legal and political means. We do not resort to violence.

    And all we have heard about how bad Australia is you complaining that the cops pulled you over for no reason. What a load of rot. I bet you were either speeding, playing your dance/house music to loud, drag racing or over crowded with you looser friends.

    Australians do not live in a police state and we have a lot of freedoms.

    And if things are going wrong what are you doing to stand up against the institution? Are you forming your own political party? Have you taken the matter to court? Did you appeal to the media? Have you written to your local politicians about the injustices we are all suffering? Have you appeal to the High Court of Australia as this must be a constitutional matter?

    Or are you just wasting my, and everyone else's time whinging on a web page.

    And are you doing this because:

    A)You are to incompetent to stand up for yourself
    B)You are to gutless to accept your own responsibility for your actions
    C)You are stupid
    D)All of the above.

    I love Australia, just like most people love their own home country. But if you don't like this place, whether or not you were born here, then leave.

    I'm sure you will find a place out there that will suit you just fine.

    Try the U.S.A. No they probably don't want you either. A whinger will always be a whinger no matter what country they are in.
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2084036].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
      Why dont YOU get lost instead, seems you got nothing better to do then make a post a mile long posting nothing about assumptions:rolleyes:


      Originally Posted by drwhogoesthere View Post

      My suggestion to you is to GO AWAY AND MULTIPLY (ie **** off)

      How dare you attack the country that has taken you in and given you endless opportunities?
      Haha what a load of crock. Our country was a lot more peaceful 15 years ago when you couldnt get sued for dumb ****....the Government use to work for the people....now the Government control the people and the people kiss their ass. Australians in general (meaning everyone in Australia) are a bunch of clueless sheep.

      Yes we have problems but so does every country in the world. And unlike a lot of other countries we deal with our problems through peaceful, legal and political means. We do not resort to violence.
      Wrong again! I had no music on and wasnt speeding, just coming home frm gym. The police picked on me, not the 1st time and wont be the last.

      And all we have heard about how bad Australia is you complaining that the cops pulled you over for no reason. What a load of rot. I bet you were either speeding, playing your dance/house music to loud, drag racing or over crowded with you looser friends.
      LOL another load of crock, do you really believe that? We have NO freedom. We use to but not anymore.

      Australians do not live in a police state and we have a lot of freedoms.
      LOL Sound good buddy but you know I actually have a...."life" and dont have time for that ****. Besides politics is crap and I refuse to support anything in that direction/channel.

      And if things are going wrong what are you doing to stand up against the institution? Are you forming your own political party? Have you taken the matter to court? Did you appeal to the media? Have you written to your local politicians about the injustices we are all suffering? Have you appeal to the High Court of Australia as this must be a constitutional matter?
      You seem to be whining as much as I am...
      Or are you just wasting my, and everyone else’s time whinging on a web page.
      Nope I'm just fed up and you like a typical Aussie are too dumb to realise this country does indeed suck.
      And are you doing this because:

      A)You are to incompetent to stand up for yourself
      B)You are to gutless to accept your own responsibility for your actions
      C)You are stupid
      D)All of the above.
      Have a nice day...go drink a beer or have a BBQ whatever you guys do....

      Try the U.S.A. No they probably don’t want you either. A whinger will always be a whinger no matter what country they are in.

      BY THE WAY Aussies dont get offended I'm not trying to attack you, I'm mad at the way society is these days and how this country is run.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2084135].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by Ernie Lonardo View Post

        Wrong again! I had no music on and wasnt speeding, just coming home frm gym. The police picked on me, not the 1st time and wont be the last.
        OK, there is probably something you aren't telling us!

        AND, to TL, they have BETTER things to do! HECK, if the car is closed, like most, they probably couldn't really notice.

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2085013].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
          There was nothing else, I'm telling you the truth,

          The fact that it took the cops like 10minutes to tell me the problem, show they didnt pull me over for a reason, they went looking for one.


          Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

          OK, there is probably something you aren't telling us!

          AND, to TL, they have BETTER things to do! HECK, if the car is closed, like most, they probably couldn't really notice.

          Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2085075].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author seasoned
            Originally Posted by Ernie Lonardo View Post

            There was nothing else, I'm telling you the truth,

            The fact that it took the cops like 10minutes to tell me the problem, show they didnt pull me over for a reason, they went looking for one.
            The cops HERE take their time too!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2085805].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Kay King
              I was fascinated by reading Bill Bryson's book about his travels in Australia - it's called A Sunburned Country (I think I got the title right). It explained just how much of Australia is sparsely populated or unlivable.
              Signature
              Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

              Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2085826].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ThomM
            Originally Posted by Ernie Lonardo View Post

            There was nothing else, I'm telling you the truth,

            The fact that it took the cops like 10minutes to tell me the problem, show they didnt pull me over for a reason, they went looking for one.
            Welcome to my world, either grow a set and get over it or waste your time complaining about it.
            Signature

            Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
            Getting old ain't for sissy's
            As you are I was, as I am you will be
            You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2085865].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
          Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

          OK, there is probably something you aren't telling us!

          AND, to TL, they have BETTER things to do! HECK, if the car is closed, like most, they probably couldn't really notice.

          Steve
          Let's hope so.



          TL
          Signature

          "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2085790].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dcristo
      Originally Posted by drwhogoesthere View Post

      And all we have heard about how bad Australia is you complaining that the cops pulled you over for no reason. What a load of rot. I bet you were either speeding, playing your dance/house music to loud, drag racing or over crowded with you looser friends.
      My suggestion is you stop making generalizations. You look at least 40 years old and you can't even spell correctly. How pathetic is that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2084713].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by drwhogoesthere View Post

      My suggestion to you is to GO AWAY AND MULTIPLY (ie **** off)

      How dare you attack the country that has taken you in and given you endless opportunities?

      Yes we have problems but so does every country in the world. And unlike a lot of other countries we deal with our problems through peaceful, legal and political means. We do not resort to violence.

      And all we have heard about how bad Australia is you complaining that the cops pulled you over for no reason. What a load of rot. I bet you were either speeding, playing your dance/house music to loud, drag racing or over crowded with you looser friends.

      Australians do not live in a police state and we have a lot of freedoms.

      And if things are going wrong what are you doing to stand up against the institution? Are you forming your own political party? Have you taken the matter to court? Did you appeal to the media? Have you written to your local politicians about the injustices we are all suffering? Have you appeal to the High Court of Australia as this must be a constitutional matter?

      Or are you just wasting my, and everyone else's time whinging on a web page.

      And are you doing this because:

      A)You are to incompetent to stand up for yourself
      B)You are to gutless to accept your own responsibility for your actions
      C)You are stupid
      D)All of the above.

      I love Australia, just like most people love their own home country. But if you don't like this place, whether or not you were born here, then leave.

      I'm sure you will find a place out there that will suit you just fine.

      Try the U.S.A. No they probably don't want you either. A whinger will always be a whinger no matter what country they are in.
      Now THAT is more llike it! People may say things like that about the US, doing the SAME thing, but it is usually because THEY HAD A REASON! BTW It is possible, in the US, to be stopped for a MINOR violation, known as an INFRACTION! It doesn't even really reach the level of a misdemeanor! If yu are nice, respectful and contrite, the police officer may let you off with a warning. HECK, sometimes that is their SOLE intent.

      If you are NOT contrite, it could even turn into a felony and they could impound your car and put YOU in jail. Of course, it USUALLY doesn't get THAT bad, but they will often give you a ticket AND may look for MORE problems to put on the ticket. If you have a light out, a gun in your car, etc... WATCH OUT! BTW an unloaded gun on your seat might be a minor misdemeanor. An unloaded gun partially under your seat is often a FELONY(concealed weapon)! So things can REALLY change! If traveling with your gun in a place like california without an official reason or permission to do otherwise, it may be best to put the gun in your trunk, and the ammo in your glovebox.

      AND, some may say "What about the 4th amendment?". Well, even the supreme court has said that anything that can be seen on the outside, EVEN through the windows, is fair game. Of course, if you open the car, that gives them more area. And what if they ask if they can search? If you say no, you might be in more trouble. If you say yes, you are giving them permission.

      It is probably similar in australia.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2085001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author drwhogoesthere
    Dont have time to take action agianst the cops? How do you thinks things change in our system?

    Do you want to protest, wave banners and have marches? Or do you want a repeat of the Crunulla riots where common sence gives ways to stupidity.

    If you have an in justice stand up through the legal system and take action. Refusing to do so just tells me you are a coward that just wants to whinge.

    And I'm curious as to the statement "what ever you guys do." You live here and yet you don't class yourself as Australian?

    Thats such a shame.
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2084211].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
      Look mate...

      I don't know how to take action against the cops. I thought since its a defect (not a fine) I have no chance because technically the cops are right, my exhaust was 9.5mc not 10cm off the ground...

      I'm also thinking the time it costs me to apeal this and maybe any costs? It''s simply easier do what I can to get the car back on the road asap ( I need my car for work) and stop wasting negativity energy on this....yeah you may think its being weak or lazy and perhaps you're right....but I have more important things to worry about.

      Don't get my wrong, I don't hate Australians they're nice friendly people for the most part.... I hate the Australian government....

      And yes I am Australian because I was born here but both my parents are Italian and I consider myself more Italian then Australian...its in my blood and values after all....

      but I'm half Aussie and half Italian and I like it that way



      Originally Posted by drwhogoesthere View Post

      Dont have time to take action agianst the cops? How do you thinks things change in our system?

      Do you want to protest, wave banners and have marches? Or do you want a repeat of the Crunulla riots where common sence gives ways to stupidity.

      If you have an in justice stand up through the legal system and take action. Refusing to do so just tells me you are a coward that just wants to whinge.

      And I'm curious as to the statement "what ever you guys do." You live here and yet you don't class yourself as Australian?

      Thats such a shame.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2084238].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by Ernie Lonardo View Post

        Look mate...

        I don't know how to take action against the cops. I thought since its a defect (not a fine) I have no chance because technically the cops are right, my exhaust was 9.5mc not 10cm off the ground...
        In the US, you CAN protest it. I imagine you can just ask the person that takes the fine.

        In the US, if the policeman doesn't show up for such an event it is judged in default in YOUR favor.

        And 10cm is AWFULLY close, ESPECIALLY for a place like australia, but the law is the law. USUALLY there is a margine of error. .5CM is SO low that a slightly deflated tire or lowered shock, or more weight in the trunk could EASILY make such a difference.

        So YOU HAVE A CASE!

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2085029].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author drwhogoesthere
    The police Ombudsman will listen to any complaints about ploice. They do not have the power to prosecute but they will raise any matters with the right departments that can take action.

    Ok My words were a little strong and I appologise. You just got my blood boiling.

    However, if you want to see change on any level you need to take action. Nobody will do it for you. Hell, you doing IM aren't you and you have to do that yourself.

    And just like IM, politics and law takes time to learn. There is no reason you can't run for a seat in the next council ellections. Sure you cant make much of change at that level, but it is a good learning ground and you can then move up to state and federal levels.

    And there is no reason why you can't have a business and be a politician at the same time. At that level you can make changs (just look at what that idiot Stephen Conroy is trying to do).

    But remember, anger at an injustice is better spent going through the proper channels, than arguing with a bald headed idiot (who should be working) hundreds of miles away.

    P.S. you lucky to be half Italian. Studies have proven that migrants and their children work harder and are more successful than people born in Australia.
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2084263].message }}
  • salegurus - no joke... it is way too overcrowded... maybe I just think that because I'm from Hobart (in Tasmania) :-)

    The Gold Coast's population is around 496,906... and growing at a rate of more than 12,000 people per year! Some days walking through the mall there is like making your way through a crowded nightclub.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2084860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brandon Sheley
    bummer, sounds like a bad day but I'd still like to go down and visit someday
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2085814].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
    Originally Posted by Ernie Lonardo View Post

    BY THE WAY Aussies dont get offended I'm not trying to attack you, I'm mad at the way society is these days and how this country is run.

    and whats worst of all is that the majority of the Australian public think all these ideas are good! What a bunch of brainwashed stupid sheep.

    Wish I wasnt born here..or atleast lived in the 70's and 80's when life wasnt so BS.
    son, what a load of crap, you have a bad hair day and get your self in a tizzy then come on here pouting garbage.

    If you took your head out of the clouds you would know currently there is a war on street cars in most states, the cops have had enough of the wankers riding the streets like midnight cowboys so they have upped the anti and my guess is your ride set some bells of and they decided your number was up.

    nothing personal so no need to stretch your undies and get them in a twist.

    As for living in the 70's also bollocks each era has its good and bad parts and you guys have it good today with your cars better than ever before and life is still fun, some people choose to look up at the sky others down at the mud.

    and if a majority think a certain way, just maybe, just maybe a few might be right.

    what a soft whine, in the 70's you would cop a clip around the ear for being a soft pussy with a crappy stuff like that, it seems these days we just have more people who would not know a hard day if they fell over one.
    Signature

    .

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2200501].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
      Wow thanks for your great insights:rolleyes:

      LOL I must of hit a nerve didnt I? While I commend your passion for your country, your way off the mark and just posted a complete pile of turd.

      "you guys have it good today with your cars better"

      WOW this generation must feel so lucky...we get to drive nice cars! Nope...cars these days are boring, Id take a nice classic 60's car than the crap out there today. And besides since when did having a nice car make someones life good....

      if you cant see how much worse life is today and how much we are controlled well I feel really sorry for you.







      Originally Posted by tryinhere View Post

      son, what a load of crap, you have a bad hair day and get your self in a tizzy then come on here pouting garbage.

      If you took your head out of the clouds you would know currently there is a war on street cars in most states, the cops have had enough of the wankers riding the streets like midnight cowboys so they have upped the anti and my guess is your ride set some bells of and they decided your number was up.

      nothing personal so no need to stretch your undies and get them in a twist.

      As for living in the 70's also bollocks each era has its good and bad parts and you guys have it good today with your cars better than ever before and life is still fun, some people choose to look up at the sky others down at the mud.

      and if a majority think a certain way, just maybe, just maybe a few might be right.

      what a soft whine, in the 70's you would cop a clip around the ear for being a soft pussy with a crappy stuff like that, it seems these days we just have more people who would not know a hard day if they fell over one.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2203906].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ThomM
        if you cant see how much worse life is today and how much we are controlled well I feel really sorry for you.
        Just curious, but you're basing that on how many years that you've lived?
        I was born in the early 50's so I'm basing my reply on almost 6 full decades of living.
        Life is what you make of it. That is as true today as it was in the 50's and 60's. If you think your life is worse today then it was, well it's your own damn fault.
        So quit your whining and do something about it.
        As far as being controlled, you are if you allow it.
        Signature

        Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
        Getting old ain't for sissy's
        As you are I was, as I am you will be
        You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2204083].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
          My life started in the 80's and 90's and I can tell you right now life was very different back then.

          Life was much safer.
          People werent so judgemental and life was much more enjoyable.

          Kids played outside, kids were more behaved, now kids are always on the computers/mobilbe phones and are much more misbehaved listening to that rap music...sheehs someone give these kids some ACDC or something....

          people worked less and had a little more free time.

          We werent constantly bombared with messages like
          "dont smoke"
          "dont speed"
          "dont eat fast food"
          "dont do this, dont do that yada yada yeah we get the damn point" let us decide.

          When I was a kid we were allowed to have softdrinks and junkfood in the school canteen, these days a lot of schools banned them. Why not offer a choice instead?

          Also these days the world is so politically correct the main problem.

          We cant do anything without following "policies" and and can get sued for any damn thing. What happened to common fn sense! Do you really need to be told the cup of coffee you bought is hot?

          Not to mention most things were better in the earlier days.
          Better looking cars
          Better cartoons
          Better music
          Better Video Games.

          Some will say its opinion......nope its a fact.

          These days cops cant smoke? What the hell? Why not, its not illegal last time I checked. Oh thats right it sets a "bad image" Bull****! Thats only because people these days are so judgmental...if we all were a little more carefree and open minded the world would be a better place.

          These days parents cant smack their kids? WHO says so? WHO has the right to tell anyone to do that, its their damn kids, not the Governments!

          Cant J-Walk these days or you get a fine.......how about you let me decide how to cross the damn road, if I die, I die its my fault.

          I could go on and on....you get the point and when you said "As far as being controlled, you are if you allow it."

          your wrong again...people dont allow it, they got no damn choice or they get punished with stupid rules/fines.

          Hope you enjoyed it..




          Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

          Just curious, but you're basing that on how many years that you've lived?
          I was born in the early 50's so I'm basing my reply on almost 6 full decades of living.
          Life is what you make of it. That is as true today as it was in the 50's and 60's. If you think your life is worse today then it was, well it's your own damn fault.
          So quit your whining and do something about it.
          As far as being controlled, you are if you allow it.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2204111].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Dave Patterson
            You should come over for a visit Ernie....the cops here are WAY more laid back...

            Signature
            Professional Googler
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2204129].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ThomM
              Originally Posted by Ernie Lonardo View Post

              My life started in the 80's and 90's and I can tell you right now life was very different back then.

              Life was much safer.
              People werent so judgemental and life was much more enjoyable.

              Kids played outside, kids were more behaved, now kids are always on the computers/mobilbe phones and are much more misbehaved listening to that rap music...sheehs someone give these kids some ACDC or something....

              people worked less and had a little more free time.

              We werent constantly bombared with messages like
              "dont smoke"
              "dont speed"
              "dont eat fast food"
              "dont do this, dont do that yada yada yeah we get the damn point" let us decide.

              When I was a kid we were allowed to have softdrinks and junkfood in the school canteen, these days a lot of schools banned them. Why not offer a choice instead?

              Also these days the world is so politically correct the main problem.

              We cant do anything without following "policies" and and can get sued for any damn thing. What happened to common fn sense! Do you really need to be told the cup of coffee you bought is hot?

              Not to mention most things were better in the earlier days.
              Better looking cars
              Better cartoons
              Better music
              Better Video Games.

              Some will say its opinion......nope its a fact.

              These days cops cant smoke? What the hell? Why not, its not illegal last time I checked. Oh thats right it sets a "bad image" Bull****! Thats only because people these days are so judgmental...if we all were a little more carefree and open minded the world would be a better place.

              These days parents cant smack their kids? WHO says so? WHO has the right to tell anyone to do that, its their damn kids, not the Governments!

              Cant J-Walk these days or you get a fine.......how about you let me decide how to cross the damn road, if I die, I die its my fault.

              I could go on and on....you get the point and when you said "As far as being controlled, you are if you allow it."

              your wrong again...people dont allow it, they got no damn choice or they get punished with stupid rules/fines.

              Hope you enjoyed it..
              Well the kids today are coming from your generation, so sounds like you created that problem
              On the larger scale things may be worse.
              We pay more in taxes and get less in return.
              I'm not saying the world in general isn't worse, but with the internet giving us the ability to learn more and view in more detail world affairs, I wonder if we don't just have a more accurate view of things.
              As far as the control thing, we are looking at that from different places.
              I'll be the first to admit I look at laws more as guidelines:rolleyes:
              I've lived my life the way I saw fit. I must be doing something right, I haven't been arrested in close to 40 years and the last time I got pulled over for speeding (doing 85mph in a 65mph zone) I walked away with a parking ticket.
              Again if you allow someone or something to control your life, that's on you.
              I prefer to control my own life, thank you.
              Originally Posted by Dave Patterson View Post

              You should come over for a visit Ernie....the cops here are WAY more laid back...

              YouTube - Maine State Trooper
              You got to love the patience of a Maine Trooper
              Signature

              Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
              Getting old ain't for sissy's
              As you are I was, as I am you will be
              You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2204171].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Aussie_Al
              As an Aussie living in the US (I also lived 10 years in England) I can assure you things like that happen every where even your beloved Italy

              Cops are people too and some are good and some can be d*cks (just like you can have a good cop who is having a bad day as well)

              Either suck it up and pay the $200 and get over it or contest it in court.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2226597].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
        Originally Posted by Ernie Lonardo View Post

        Wow thanks for your great insights:rolleyes:

        LOL I must of hit a nerve didnt I? While I commend your passion for your country, your way off the mark and just posted a complete pile of turd.

        "you guys have it good today with your cars better"

        WOW this generation must feel so lucky...we get to drive nice cars! Nope...cars these days are boring, Id take a nice classic 60's car than the crap out there today. And besides since when did having a nice car make someones life good....

        if you cant see how much worse life is today and how much we are controlled well I feel really sorry for you.
        you think i am funny, dood you breaking me up, cars these days are boring, and cars yesterday, well they were great.

        Mate i have spent a lifetime driving muscle from both era's, (only some pictured), you should come for a ride in my latest shopping trolley (bottom), by the way i have a wonkey eye, that usually means i drive sideways and yep its lowered in the guts and as loud as a tractor and yes life is better.




        Signature

        .

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2206737].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    You know, I look at it this way.

    When the police pull someone over who is doing nothing at all, and spend half an hour looking for anything whatsoever they can do in an official capacity...

    These policemen are BORED OUT OF THEIR SKULLS.

    Now, connect the dots on this. If the policemen are bored out of their skulls... what does that say about crime in your area?

    There are more than enough policemen to handle it!

    I kind of like that. I think that's a pretty damn good condition for a country to be in. And if that means I have to put up with the occasional bored cop, hey, I'll pay that price.

    It's all about priorities. $200 to live in a country where the cops are that desperate for something to do? Sounds like a good deal to me.

    Besides, those are Australian dollars, right? What is that, $3.50 US?
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2200517].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tswartz
    It's not that bad...sounds like you had a bad experience is all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2204176].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jo W
    Unfortunately you are being stereotyped. We all are. You are a 'hoon' because you have a modified car and are young. I am 'dumb and lazy' because I chose to stay home to raise my daughter. The police ARE just trying to do what WE the people WANT-to reduce the road toll, which is weighted heavily with under 25s. Unfortunately it is just a matter of growing older, and getting a Volvo lol ....and for me to wear a neon sign SHOWING people I have a high IQ!! Lol
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2206585].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
    Oh we have an update!

    One of the states in Australia has passed a new law that give power For Police to fine anyone who swears/uses foul language....if you do you get a $100 fine!

    Now do you believe me?

    **** Australia
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2224185].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pappyy3
      Sounds like you need a Holiday?
      Signature

      Tonster

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2225707].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author meph
    The grass is always greener on the other side. Think of the dying kids in Africa.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2226327].message }}

Trending Topics