by Kurt
31 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Notice how small avocados and potatoes are getting?

I like a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on tacos.

I didn't used to like onions and bell peppers. Now I'm starting to like them on certain foods.

It shocks my logic system when two smaller sizes are cheaper than one large size, when the total quantity is the same.

Monterrey jack is the most versatile cheese.
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    I'm going to disagree with you on cheese. Colby Jack is awesome for an armlong list of stuff - starting with good old fashioned mac and cheese. I see people eat that stuff out of a box and it makes my eyes water just to see it. That's NOT food.

    I had a whopper not too long ago - I don't eat much junk food so it had been years. I remember how huge whoppers used to be. This thing was three times the cost and not really any bigger than a normal hamburger. WTF is it called a whopper for? I'm hoping it wasn't the amount of chemicals in the thing.

    Berries are getting very hard to get in amounts that you can do anything with. Seriously - 3 bucks for a half cup or so of berries? Insane. Very.....scary and very insane. I found a farmer's market where I got a whole quart for that - but still. who even thought of those little itty bitty containers. And what do you do with a handful of berries? Thank god I'm not against going and picking my own.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844602].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      I'm going to disagree with you on cheese. Colby Jack is awesome for an armlong list of stuff - starting with good old fashioned mac and cheese. I see people eat that stuff out of a box and it makes my eyes water just to see it. That's NOT food.

      I had a whopper not too long ago - I don't eat much junk food so it had been years. I remember how huge whoppers used to be. This thing was three times the cost and not really any bigger than a normal hamburger. WTF is it called a whopper for? I'm hoping it wasn't the amount of chemicals in the thing.

      Berries are getting very hard to get in amounts that you can do anything with. Seriously - 3 bucks for a half cup or so of berries? Insane. Very.....scary and very insane. I found a farmer's market where I got a whole quart for that - but still. who even thought of those little itty bitty containers. And what do you do with a handful of berries? Thank god I'm not against going and picking my own.
      Colbyjack, while being half Monterrey Jack, doesn't do well in things like alfredo sauce.

      I'm not saying Monterey Jack is the best, or even my favorite, only the most versatile.
      Signature
      Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
      Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844686].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ThomM
        I like a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on tacos.
        In my book most food is just a carrier to make it easier to get the grated parm in my mouth
        Signature

        Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
        Getting old ain't for sissy's
        As you are I was, as I am you will be
        You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844721].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
          I have favorite cheeses for different foods. My favorite salad cheese is grated Parmesan, yumm!

          Haha Thom, that's how I feel about my salt.

          Am I the only one who salts my salads?

          What about my grapefruit? Hubby thinks I'm crazy and should sugar it, but Yuck!

          Terra
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844774].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kurt
            Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

            I have favorite cheeses for different foods. My favorite salad cheese is grated Parmesan, yumm!

            Haha Thom, that's how I feel about my salt.

            Am I the only one who salts my salads?

            What about my grapefruit? Hubby thinks I'm crazy and should sugar it, but Yuck!

            Terra
            I put salt and parmesan on salads...Although sometimes I cut back on the salt.

            A typcial tossed salad for me is:
            lettuce
            radishes
            cucumbers
            black olives
            avacado
            ranch dressing
            salt
            parmesan
            Signature
            Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
            Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844792].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
              Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

              I put salt and parmesan on salads...Although sometimes I cut back on the salt.

              A typcial tossed salad for me is:
              lettuce
              radishes
              cucumbers
              black olives
              avacado
              ranch dressing
              salt
              parmesan
              A typical salad for me is:

              A variety of leafy greens including spinach
              cucumbers
              grated carrots
              sliced tomato
              sunflower seeds
              salt
              grated parmesan
              croutons
              ranch dressing

              Terra
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844832].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author A.Green
    I don't really like cheese all that much. Maybe just gouda and swiss sometimes. And on pizza.

    I do like avocados, but haven't noticed them getting any smaller.

    Mulberries! Now those are practically ambrosia. I swear I could eat half a kilo of mulberries in one sitting. Not that that would be healthy.

    Right, then. Who wants cake?

    Signature
    WritingThatPaysYou.com: specializing in health and home improvement.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844788].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    And, the correct way to layer a taco is:

    shell
    beef
    CHEESE
    lettuce

    The cheese goes on the beef, not on the top of the lettuce. The reasons are:

    - The cheese acts as a temperature barrier between the hot beef and the cold lettuce

    - When you take a bite of taco, it's the lettuce that falls out off the top and not the cheese.

    Glad I could clear that up for everyone...
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844816].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

      And, the correct way to layer a taco is:

      shell
      beef
      CHEESE
      lettuce

      The cheese goes on the beef, not on the top of the lettuce. The reasons are:

      - The cheese acts as a temperature barrier between the hot beef and the cold lettuce

      - When you take a bite of taco, it's the lettuce that falls out off the top and not the cheese.

      Glad I could clear that up for everyone...
      Lol!

      Same for me, except after the cheese and before the lettuce, I use sour cream.

      It helps hold the lettuce in place.

      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844847].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kurt
        Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

        Lol!

        Same for me, except after the cheese and before the lettuce, I use sour cream.

        It helps hold the lettuce in place.

        Terra
        Exactly. If sour cream is added, it goes on top of the cheese (which is on the meat).

        Remind me to send you an Honorary Degree from Kurt's Taco College.
        Signature
        Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
        Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844904].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
          Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

          Exactly. If sour cream is added, it goes on top of the cheese (which is on the meat).

          Remind me to send you an Honorary Degree from Kurt's Taco College.
          I'd be so flattered to have one! I know just the frame I'll use to proudly display it! :p

          Terra
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6845000].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThomM
      Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

      And, the correct way to layer a taco is:

      shell
      beef
      CHEESE
      lettuce

      The cheese goes on the beef, not on the top of the lettuce. The reasons are:

      - The cheese acts as a temperature barrier between the hot beef and the cold lettuce

      - When you take a bite of taco, it's the lettuce that falls out off the top and not the cheese.

      Glad I could clear that up for everyone...
      Actually Kurt that would be
      Shell
      Cheese
      Beef
      Cheese
      Sour cream
      Lettuce
      Signature

      Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
      Getting old ain't for sissy's
      As you are I was, as I am you will be
      You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6845867].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kurt
        Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

        Actually Kurt that would be
        Shell
        Cheese
        Beef
        Cheese
        Sour cream
        Lettuce
        Sorry, but you failed Taco 101 at Kurt's Taco College. Maybe Terra is available for some tutoring?
        Signature
        Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
        Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6849402].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ThomM
          Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

          Sorry, but you failed Taco 101 at Kurt's Taco College. Maybe Terra is available for some tutoring?
          But your taco failed my college because it was lacking more cheese
          Remember the purpose of most food is to act as a carrier for cheese
          Signature

          Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
          Getting old ain't for sissy's
          As you are I was, as I am you will be
          You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6849519].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kurt
            Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

            But your taco failed my college because it was lacking more cheese
            Remember the purpose of most food is to act as a carrier for cheese
            Just because you have two layers of cheese doesn't mean you have more cheese.

            Kurt's Taco College teaches that advanced taco building requires the beef and cheese to be added to the shell or soft corn tortilla, then put in the oven to melt the cheese so it oozes over the beef. Melted cheese condenses and allows for even more taco area to be dedicated to cheese and meat.

            There will be a quiz next Tuesday.

            (It's funny what people can and will argue over... )
            Signature
            Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
            Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6849747].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ThomM
              Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

              Just because you have two layers of cheese doesn't mean you have more cheese.

              Kurt's Taco College teaches that advanced taco building requires the beef and cheese to be added to the shell or soft corn tortilla, then put in the oven to melt the cheese so it oozes over the beef. Melted cheese condenses and allows for even more taco area to be dedicated to cheese and meat.

              There will be a quiz next Tuesday.

              (It's funny what people can and will argue over... )
              I always have more cheese. Hell I add cheese to cheese
              Signature

              Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
              Getting old ain't for sissy's
              As you are I was, as I am you will be
              You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6849859].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
    My wifes ground turkey meatloaf.diced onion in the loaf. caramelized ketchup, worcestershire and sugar coating.
    Garlic mashed taters. Spinach with salted butter.
    decaf iced tea with orange blossom honey.

    good eats
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6845650].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post

      My wifes ground turkey meatloaf.diced onion in the loaf. caramelized ketchup, worcestershire and sugar coating.
      Garlic mashed taters. Spinach with salted butter.
      decaf iced tea with orange blossom honey.

      good eats
      Wow Rob!

      Just curious...how many wifes do you have? :p

      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6845658].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AprilCT
      Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post

      My wifes ground turkey meatloaf.diced onion in the loaf. caramelized ketchup, worcestershire and sugar coating.
      Garlic mashed taters. Spinach with salted butter.
      decaf iced tea with orange blossom honey.

      good eats
      I love to cook, but have never heard of caramelized ketchup. Would you please explain how to do that? Spinach is a definite love of mine. Raw, boiled, sauteed, it's all good.

      My fav. cheeses: hot pepper, goat cheese you can slice with a cheese cutter - creamy is okay, too, Parmesan and a good cheddar. Those are just the cheaper ones. The fancy stuff is a bit too pricey.

      Thanks for mentioning Tacos Kurt, haven't made those in ages and it's way past time.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6845691].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
        Originally Posted by AprilCT View Post

        I love to cook, but have never heard of caramelized ketchup..
        Combine ketchup, sugar and worsteshire to taste, coat meatloaf in the final 15 minutes of cooking time.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6845704].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author AprilCT
          Thanks Big Rob, I obviously missed the point that it was a mixture to be put on and kept in the heat to end up caramelized.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6845864].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author waterotter
    Kurt, have you seen the "Yohanas" frozen treat maker? Banana Ice Cream Maker & Recipes || Yonanas

    I just about bought one last week (online) - they wanted $89 bucks for it here in Canada!

    Many that have bought it, have purchased multiples for their family.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6846016].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Jeez - am I the only one who actually spreads the sour cream on the inside of the taco shell before stuffing it?
    And don't forget -- salsa goes over the cheese which is topped by TOMOTOES then the lettuce. You all just flunked Sal's school of divine piggery.

    A. Green - we had mulberry trees at my house growing up. That meant mulberry pies. Holy cow do I ever miss those!
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6849945].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      Jeez - am I the only one who actually spreads the sour cream on the inside of the taco shell before stuffing it?
      And don't forget -- salsa goes over the cheese which is topped by TOMOTOES then the lettuce. You all just flunked Sal's school of divine piggery.

      A. Green - we had mulberry trees at my house growing up. That meant mulberry pies. Holy cow do I ever miss those!
      Anyone that places a priority on fruits and vegetables in taco making will be immediately expelled from Kurt's Taco College. If students want veggies and tomatoes, make a salad.

      A couple of shreds of lettuce is fine and good for decoration...But any more than that will get detention. This includes hiding vegetables in salsa instead of using hot sauce.

      Exception: Some onions and jalapenos may be added to the beef for extra credit. Guac is another fruit/veggie exception.
      Signature
      Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
      Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6850331].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author HeySal
        Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

        Anyone that places a priority on fruits and vegetables in taco making will be immediately expelled from Kurt's Taco College. If students want veggies and tomatoes, make a salad.

        A couple of shreds of lettuce is fine and good for decoration...But any more than that will get detention. This includes hiding vegetables in salsa instead of using hot sauce.

        Exception: Some onions and jalapenos may be added to the beef for extra credit.
        UM....guacamole IS a salad - to be eaten with........you guessed it....cheese - and olives and tomatoe on lettuce and scooped with chips.
        Signature

        Sal
        When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
        Beyond the Path

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6850364].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kay King
          I was going to contribute - but reading this thread made me hungry so I headed for the kitchen instead.:p
          Signature
          Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
          ***
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6850663].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kurt
          Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

          UM....guacamole IS a salad - to be eaten with........you guessed it....cheese - and olives and tomatoe on lettuce and scooped with chips.
          Ummm, no. Guacamole is not salad, it is a mole, and mole means "sauce". Which is why it's not called guacasalad.

          Kurt's Taco College is the Harvard of taco making and has very high entrance standards...You may want to try Taco Community College.
          Signature
          Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
          Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6855011].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
    You've all failed Taco High School if you aren't putting hot sauce somewhere in the mix.


    My wife's best recipe?:

    1. Sit on couch
    2. Surf Internet
    3. Constantly ask me when dinner will be ready
    Signature

    Raising a child is akin to knowing you're getting fired in 18 years and having to train your replacement without actively sabotaging them.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6850117].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

      You've all failed Taco High School if you aren't putting hot sauce somewhere in the mix.
      Hot sauce is liberally squirted down the side of the taco so it penetrates each level. This is also the step to sprinkle parmesan so that it combines with the hot sauce at each level of the taco.

      But this is advanced degree taco making at Kurt's Taco College. We need to get the student body an undergraduate degree before their internship and phd.

      As you can read, these folks haven't even gotten to adding avacado, let alone guacamole. Baby steps.

      For some reason, I think I'll make tacos tonight.
      Signature
      Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
      Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6850295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jakebvs85
    I like cheese and other spices, especially when it's on pizza..yummy!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6854049].message }}

Trending Topics