Today it's exactly 12 years since...

18 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
...One of the worst tragedies in modern time - 9/11.

I remember the day so clear, although I only were 10 years old.

Our class had been on a hike in some nearby mountains. But then all of a sudden, the sky were filled by F-16 fighter jets from the airforce base that laid behind the mountain we were at. I was used to see a few fighter jets now and then, but not 10 jets at the same time that was flying only a few hundred feet above the ground. And there wasn't any smartphones or anything at that time, so we weren't able to go online and see what had happened.

When I came home a few hours later, I ate dinner with my old sweet neighbor who had made sausages, potatoes and a sort of cabbage stew since my father worked overtime. When we ate, I heard on the radio that America were under attack. I was scared, because I was only ten years old and thought there was war. And since I had seen a bounch of fighter jets all day long on the sky, I thought Norway were involved too.

When I came home, I turned on the TV to see the news, and there I saw it, fotages of airplanes that crashed into the two tall buildings I had seen so many times on the American movies I loved to watch. They were the symbol of the large, powerful and free country that helped us out in WW2, the country that we had adopted much of our modern culture from. I felt sorrow, anger and not least fear since the world is small for a 10-year-old who have lived in the forest all his life.

When my dad came home from work, I told him everything I had seen and heard and asked him if the same thing would happen here. He told me "no son, that won't happen here". I calmed down, but I still have the cruel fotages in my head of the poor souls who had to jump from the top floors to their death because of the heat and the smoke.

May they all rest in peace.

God bless America and we must hope that a such evil act never ever will happen again.
  • Profile picture of the author SashaLee
    Hi there,

    A horrible tragedy that's unfortunately fading from many people's memories. I recently visited the memorial when I was in America. Very sad. The senseless killing all around the world is a shame.

    Sasha
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8496397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author boladeblogger
    Watched the a programme on Discovery Channel 2 days ago "9/11 and the calls made". I was sad to listen to most of the calls made by the victims before the towers went down.

    How they talked to their families, their last wishes and how their families felt. May their soul rest in peace..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8496442].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheNewGuy2010
    This only applies to the UNITED states, there have been many events around the world that surpass this event in terms of tragedy over the last 12 years.
    Signature
    Retired Internet Marketer.
    Gone Fishing....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8496653].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by TheNewGuy2010 View Post

      This only applies to the UNITED states, there have been many events around the world that surpass this event in terms of tragedy over the last 12 years.
      He said ONE of the worst. And the measurement of how bad something is is as much about the change, and relation to other events, as anything.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8496880].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
      Originally Posted by TheNewGuy2010 View Post

      This only applies to the UNITED states, there have been many events around the world that surpass this event in terms of tragedy over the last 12 years.
      Perhaps that's why Jimmy said it was one of the worst tragedies of modern times.

      [Beaten to the punch by Steve. Man, do you sleep?!]
      Signature

      If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8496888].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

        Beaten to the punch by Steve. Man, do you sleep?!
        I'm WORKING on it! I even bought a fitbit to track it, but it broke in about a week. WHAAAA! SERIOUSLY!

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8497005].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
          Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

          I'm WORKING on it! I even bought a fitbit to track it, but it broke in about a week. WHAAAA! SERIOUSLY!

          Steve

          Ambien is a helluva drug.
          Signature

          If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8497046].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
            Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

            Ambien is a helluva drug.
            Melatonin is a natural alternative.

            Terra
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8497066].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author seasoned
              Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

              Melatonin is a natural alternative.

              Terra
              Thanks, does NOTHING for me. kava kava doesn't either. I never tried ambien.

              Steve
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8497087].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
                Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

                I never tried ambien.

                Steve
                I have, when I was undergoing tons of treatment for my 7 small muscle tears and couldn't sleep due to the pain. It definitely works, but I tired of it and quit taking it.

                I had no problems in doing that and as a matter of fact, my physicians told me it was dangerous to do it, that I had to be weaned slowly. Whatever. I was fine. Many people have become addicted to it though.

                Terra
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8497394].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
              Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

              Melatonin is a natural alternative.

              Terra
              I agree with Steve.
              Signature

              If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8497100].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Originally Posted by TheNewGuy2010 View Post

      This only applies to the UNITED states, there have been many events around the world that surpass this event in terms of tragedy over the last 12 years.
      What Steve and Dan said and I'm certain you haven't considered that many victims had family members in other countries. It did indeed effect more than the United States.

      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8496908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garyv
    Originally Posted by taskemann View Post

    ...One of the worst tragedies in modern time - 9/11.

    I remember the day so clear, although I only were 10 years old.

    Our class had been on a hike in some nearby mountains. But then all of a sudden, the sky were filled by F-16 fighter jets from the airforce base that laid behind the mountain we were at. I was used to see a few fighter jets now and then, but not 10 jets at the same time that was flying only a few hundred feet above the ground. And there wasn't any smartphones or anything at that time, so we weren't able to go online and see what had happened.

    When I came home a few hours later, I ate dinner with my old sweet neighbor who had made sausages, potatoes and a sort of cabbage stew since my father worked overtime. When we ate, I heard on the radio that America were under attack. I was scared, because I was only ten years old and thought there was war. And since I had seen a bounch of fighter jets all day long on the sky, I thought Norway were involved too.

    When I came home, I turned on the TV to see the news, and there I saw it, fotages of airplanes that crashed into the two tall buildings I had seen so many times on the American movies I loved to watch. They were the symbol of the large, powerful and free country that helped us out in WW2, the country that we had adopted much of our modern culture from. I felt sorrow, anger and not least fear since the world is small for a 10-year-old who have lived in the forest all his life.

    When my dad came home from work, I told him everything I had seen and heard and asked him if the same thing would happen here. He told me "no son, that won't happen here". I calmed down, but I still have the cruel fotages in my head of the poor souls who had to jump from the top floors to their death because of the heat and the smoke.

    May they all rest in peace.

    God bless America and we must hope that a such evil act never ever will happen again.
    I loved reading it from your perspective. Norway sounds like a place I'd love to live.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8497418].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    The best way to describe the rest of the world's reaction as they became aware of it was by the French newspaper Le Monde, "Nous sommes tous Américains (Today, we are all Americans)".
    Signature
    Why do garden gnomes smell so bad?
    So that blind people can hate them as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8497822].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
      Thank You,Jimmy.

      Here is a letter I received From Dr. Rick Barrett. Speaks Volumes...
      Today we honor and remember our countrymen. Average Americans who were needlessly, horrifically slaughtered in the name of hate. They were innocently going about their lives in the World Trade Center, travelling in planes and working in the Pentagon when their lives were tragically ended and the peace of America was forever altered.

      Love conquers all, but love can not afford to turn a blind eye to reckless and callous evil.

      We are charged with a commandment of loving our neighbors as we love ourselves.

      Our enemies view love and compassion as weakness, but it is our strength. And because of our love, we will always fight for justice, freedom, equality and family. Always remember, continue to honor, and remain vigilant.

      Respectfully,
      Dr. Rick Barrett
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8499459].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    so who is dr rick barrett?

    google seems to point to a chiropactor in missouri

    or is he the led zepplin authority?, but i think he is but a mr
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8500259].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
      Originally Posted by hardraysnight View Post

      so who is dr rick barrett?

      google seems to point to a chiropractor in Missouri

      or is he the led zepplin authority?, but i think he is but a mr
      You are correct, Ray.

      He is also the Author of a cool (and free) ebook here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8504122].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fazal Mayar
    Hope it doesnt happen anymore but Im disapointed to the fact that there is a lot behind that plane crash that we don't know.
    Signature

    Blogger at RicherOrNot.com (Make Money online blog but also promoting ethical internet marketing)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8504260].message }}

Trending Topics