Science Blogger Called A Whore For Wanting to Get Paid

34 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Scientist called a "whore" because she wouldn't work for free

If your getting paid, apparently you are lucky.

I Have not read Scientific American that often but now don't plan to at all.
#blogger #called #paid #science #wanting #whore
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    I read the article, and I came away with a different take.

    As I read it, the offender wasn't making any reference to gender, race or economic status. The offender was offended because the blogger refused his generous offer to post her work on his blog, and she wanted to be paid.:rolleyes:

    The writer of the posted article seized on the word "whore" and the fact that the blogger was a black woman, and turned it into the latest skirmish in some kind of gender war. Seems more a reflection of a writer who blogs on this particular site to "help the sisterhood" than real sexism.

    Granted, the offender acted like an ass. But there was nothing in his statement that said he was a sexist ass.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8679271].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeTucker
    Sensationalism makes me question even the most basic facts
    that these stories claim these days.

    I'll wait until any legal action is completed before I form
    an opinion on this one, especially because the email in question
    is so different in tone than his initial reply.
    Signature

    The bartender says: "We don't serve faster-than-light particles here."

    ...A tachyon enters a bar.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8679392].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    I'm thinking she might be going overboard on the reasons this douche thought that she was just supposed to give free work because it was asked, but the truth is - since the Net, people are not afraid to ask people to work for peanuts or even free. Have none of you been approached for a freebie or had someone made an absolutely laughable offer? The only thing that happened here is that the troll that wanted the free work took it far enough to name-call in an attempt to get it done.

    His type are all over the Net. I see nothing unusual about this story other than her own blog ended up getting nuked so the little tweak actually messed with her pretty hard because she refused to work for free. I can see how she might think it was sexism or racism.........but a guy like that will do it to anyone. He's not a racist or sexist (at least in this case) -- he's just your ordinary garden variety dirtbag.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680278].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author goindeep
    Yeah I didn't get where she was getting the whole racist and sexist thing from... the guy was clearly in the wrong but at the same time it has nothing to do with sex or race and I hate how every time a person of colour is involved in any matter someone plays the race card, its really not required.

    End of the day she's a blogger that got refused pay for her work by a dumb ass idiot that will probably get fired now.

    I suppose the moral of the story is don't abuse people because they wont work for free. XD
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680559].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    ******HOW****** is that sexism!?!?!?!? MANY people don't get paid for some work they do. HECK, a couple MAJOR corporations have asked TEAMS, of which I was only ONE on them, to work 45+ hours a week, and pay for FORTY!!!!

    As for taking down her blog? That is REQUIRED BY LAW! If they didn't, she could SUE. That is COMMON in the publishing industry, whether music, books, magazines, movies, or BLOGS!

    JUST because she is a WOMAN, she calls it SEXIST!?!?!?!? GIVE ME A BREAK!

    For the record, I am not crazy about it either. But frankly I wouldn't hire her to write "happy birthday"! And YEAH, OFEKs supposed reply was garbage, but that is IT.

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680725].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    That's only funny because the SA site is so heavily monetized with popups, ad splash pages, etc...

    They have the whole do as I say not as I do thing going on.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680867].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    The sexism got brought in because they called her a whore. Guess people aren't used to a guy being called one - but I've never minced words on someone with outdoor plumbing - a whore is someone paid to do something that isn't "moral" or would go against their grain so they wouldn't do it without bribery..........and I will call a guy a whore as fast as a woman.

    What this douchebag is guilty of is using the wrong word. "Whore" does not apply here. Not working free is refusal to be abused, it's not whorish conduct. There's no morals involved in this exchange, free or paid. So he's not sexist - he's just an extortionate idiot.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680906].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      The sexism got brought in because they called her a whore. Guess people aren't used to a guy being called one - but I've never minced words on someone with outdoor plumbing - a whore is someone paid to do something that isn't "moral" or would go against their grain so they wouldn't do it without bribery..........and I will call a guy a whore as fast as a woman.

      What this douchebag is guilty of is using the wrong word. "Whore" does not apply here. Not working free is refusal to be abused, it's not whorish conduct. There's no morals involved in this exchange, free or paid. So he's not sexist - he's just an extortionate idiot.
      You're right in all cases there. As I said, his comment was garbage. Frankly, in his position, I would be HAPPY to have those doing it for free do so. That does NOT obligate others. Of course, having made no agreement, in such a case, she should assume that she won't get paid.

      Her options are try to get a paid position, do it for free, or FORGET IT! Since THEY have no agreement, are a big company, and she has expressed such an expectation, their options are get an agreement, or severe all connections past and present.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681026].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    It always brings a smile to my face when an abrasive doofus gets a public slapdown for something such as trying to loot services for free and throwing around insults.
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681055].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      BOTH of them acted unprofessionally.

      When Lee received the rude comment - she should have sent it to the owner of the Biology blog and complained directly to those in charge of that blog in a private correspondence.

      Instead she took a private fuss public on her blog with a video where she interpreted sexism, racism, acts against certain socio-economic classes, etc.

      We don't know if she used her SA credentials in her blog complaint - or if she mentioned by name the biology blog associated with the guest post.

      We don't know if she was invited to guest post because of her association with Scientific American - or due to her own personal work in the scientific field. We don't know if the blog where she made the argument public was associated with SA or her role there or not.

      The editor who insulted her was fired and deserved it. However, she allowed herself to be baited into a public reply and that was not smart and not something a respect organization like SA would want to be associated with.
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

      You should always be yourself...unless you can be a Unicorn. Then you should always be a Unicorn.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681309].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
        Leaving aside the fact that we don't know this was an accurate rendition of the story, or what the guy's personal opinions/prejudices may or may not be...

        What I find interesting is that the folks who leverage stories like this for causes tend to go for the smallest group that could be considered targeted. In this case, why not address the fact that it's not appropriate in most cases to call a random woman of ANY color or ethnicity a "whore?"

        If racism is a factor it needs to be addressed, but why assume it when there's no evidence of that? For all we know, the guy may be an equal opportunity jerk.

        Separate question: Is it common in academic circles to call people who wish to profit from their work "whores?" If so, this might be a case of non gender-specific stupidity from the get-go. (That's a genuine question. I don't know if it's the situation or not, but I know there's a strong prejudice in some academic circles against people who want to be paid to publish. Just wondering if that specific term is the one commonly used.)


        Paul
        Signature
        .
        Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681661].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author HeySal
          Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

          (That's a genuine question. I don't know if it's the situation or not, but I know there's a strong prejudice in some academic circles against people who want to be paid to publish. Just wondering if that specific term is the one commonly used.)


          Paul
          Scientists often publish a paper here and there without reimbursement to get their theories or findings noted. Their reward is credit for their discovery. This is different, though. This was a scientist being asked to produce work on a regular basis. Nobody should have been dense enough to expect that of her. It's even more ridiculous because she had her own blog to produce work for. Calling her a "whore" was literally a dumb attempt to intimidate her..........which, incidentally, makes the proper term for him a sleezebag.

          Note - since she called the guy racist.........and this whole thing went down via email, it can be supposed she knew this person at least to some extent, so she might have been drawing conclusions about the guy from previous incidents or hearsay about him beyond his behavior this time.
          Signature

          Sal
          When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
          Beyond the Path

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681931].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author seasoned
            Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

            Note - since she called the guy racist.........and this whole thing went down via email, it can be supposed she knew this person at least to some extent, so she might have been drawing conclusions about the guy from previous incidents or hearsay about him beyond his behavior this time.
            GEE, I was going to say I was surprised she didn't. I guess I missed that. But MANY do that without knowing ANYTHING about the person. HECK, I have seen blacks call OTHER blacks racist. I guess they never checked to find out that what the other person was FIRST. Goes to show how well they knew the person though.

            A LOT of people give FREELY! That has lead many to EXPECT it! SOME go even farther, and demand it. HECK, I have seen people ask for really complex things, like editors that are like word, that they can resell, and THEY don't want to pay much.

            Are there free editors on the market? YEP! Open Office and Star Office are two nice ones. Are they quick and easy to write? NO WAY! And before you say you wrote one in VB in a day.... There IS an object in VB to allow you to leverage word like functionality, but the license expressly FORBIDS using it to write an editor like word.

            And jerks come in all sizes and shapes. They will say "Well, SUN can". Yeah, and sun gutted the whole company doing it, for one. They WERE a strong up and comer. They gave away SO much that the stuff only THEY could produce was devalued. Where are they now? Part of oracle! The systems only SUN could produce are now used in Oracles high end servers. The other stuff ORACLE still gives away. ORACLE EVEN bought MYSQL, and they took the better versions PRIVATE!

            I don't know where programming will be in 20 years, but YIKES! I'm sure the perceived value will drop world wide, as it has in pockets like I just described.

            OBVIOUSLY, I am talking from a programmers point of view, but I have seen it for songs, authors, photographers, etc.... HECK, a few days ago an indian coworker told me how Bollywood changes and copies all the hollywood movies.

            Steve
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8682071].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
              Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

              Separate question: Is it common in academic circles to call people who wish to profit from their work "whores?" If so, this might be a case of non gender-specific stupidity from the get-go. (That's a genuine question. I don't know if it's the situation or not, but I know there's a strong prejudice in some academic circles against people who want to be paid to publish. Just wondering if that specific term is the one commonly used.)


              Paul
              It's been awhile, but back in the day, the terms "whore" and "sellout" appeared with pretty much equal frequency.

              The editor in question in this case may have been "old school" enough to believe that an invitation to write for his publication, free or not, should have been seen as an honor or privilege rather than an opportunity for profit. When you ask these types for money in return for your work, they actually get offended. Many of them do see other scientists writing for money as whoring.

              Outside the science community, I've been on both ends of similar offers. I've asked people for contributions and been turned down because I didn't offer pay beyond exposure. I've also turned down offers because I didn't see enough benefit without added compensation. In both scenarios, the reaction has been more like "okay, no blood, no foul..."
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8682211].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                AND here is the rest of the story:

                The Urban Scientist: A hip hop maven blogs on urban ecology, evolutionary biology & diversity in the sciences | Scientific American Blog Network

                Her blog is associated with Scientific American - it was taken down to verify her claims - it is back up now.

                It may be a clash between the scientific mindset and the online mindset. In the academic community people doing research are often asked to "contribute" a paper or "participate in" a discussion. With the exception of the top people in the field, this is not paid work and it's a compliment to be asked. Apparently, online is a different story for some.

                Her SA biography makes it clear why she would be INVITED to contribute on a biology blog.

                http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/....php?author=20
                Signature
                Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

                You should always be yourself...unless you can be a Unicorn. Then you should always be a Unicorn.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8682393].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
                  Neither Scientific American or Biology Online are true academic journals where authors submit their research which are then peer reviewed by anonymous reviewers selected by the editors. Rather, they are basically scientific tabloids discussing issues and topics that are of current interest. Therefore articles published in these journals do not carry much if any weight as far as academic research is concerned. The impact factor is the most commonly used measurement of how important (prestigious) a particular journal is. This is what university departments refer to when they assess the performance of an individual staff. As you can see, Scientific American is no where to be found among the top journals.

                  Signature

                  Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8682518].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                    SA is a popular science magazine - on par with Popular Mechanics - but the organization has been publishing since the 1800s.

                    I think Lee is as objectionable as the person who insulted her. I came to this conclusion reading HER blog and the comments she's posted there to anyone who thought perhaps she went too far in her video.

                    ...after all my other colleagues especially those with penises and pale skin can drop F bombs, wax poetic about personal feelings of religion vs science education or whatever and *that* is surely more appropriate and scientific than anything *I* say about how I have been treated by others in the same circles.
                    She seems to have more issues than a simple insult by one angry editor (who was fired).
                    Signature
                    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

                    You should always be yourself...unless you can be a Unicorn. Then you should always be a Unicorn.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8682651].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author goindeep
                      She seems a bit angry now that I read her blog, lol, poor woman either shes just mad at life or mad at what someone may have done to her, either way this has not turned into a he pushed me first, no she said this type of school yard fight.
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8684158].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

          Separate question: Is it common in academic circles to call people who wish to profit from their work "whores?"
          Yes - relatively common, over here, anyway. The term is certainly applied to men, too, in that context.

          Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

          If so, this might be a case of non gender-specific stupidity from the get-go.
          That was my reading of it. It was probably a stupid comment, but not a sexist one at all.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    Originally Posted by goindeep View Post

    Scientist called a "whore" because she wouldn't work for free

    If your getting paid, apparently you are lucky.

    I Have not read Scientific American that often but now don't plan to at all.
    I enjoy reading Scientific American sometimes, and wouldn't stop reading it because of that. Incidents like that can happen anywhere. It is not enough to discredit an entire organization. For the record, I like DN Lee. She rocks.
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8684544].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Quincy
    Sexist? - Definitely!

    Racist? - Definitely!

    Nuff Said? - Definitely!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8684941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    How is it racist?

    If you are referring to urban, she uses that word herself AND....

    ur·ban (ûrbn)
    adj.
    1. Of, relating to, or located in a city.
    2. Characteristic of the city or city life.

    How is it even sexist really? Though WHORE IS a bad word in ANY case!

    I will tell you that SHE sounds racist! She brought up race in that video, she CLAIMED to "'I pimp game,' Lee said in her video response. 'I know how this works.'", etc....
    Was she *****EVER***** offered ANY compensation? NOPE! She apparently knew nothing about it. Why should one expect that it is even an organization that pays.

    She laughs at HIM for thinking that her abrupt termination after he said they don't pay guest bloggers is due to the fact that he isn't paying her. SHE, on the other hand, assumes that this is not only SEXIST, which is debatable, but RACIST?!?!?!?

    BTW with laws the way they are in the US, if they were found to pay ALL of the whites, or ALL of the men, and NONE of the blacks or NONE of the women, they would likely be successfully sued and out a lot of money.

    OH YEAH, my step mother has a business that writes for a LOT of trade magazines! THEY GET PUBLISHED!!!!!!!!! The magazines DO NOT PAY HER!!!!!! Is it sexist? NOPE! The people she writes for pay her. This case is FAR from unique!

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685334].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Most are assuming that one word is sexist and because it was said to a person of color, it must be racist.....blah de blah blah.

      Could it be it was the lesser definition of the word "whore" that was intended? The third definition listed in the dictionary is:

      3. A person considered as having compromised principles for personal gain.
      Oh wait - that couldn't be sensationalized as well, could it?
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

      You should always be yourself...unless you can be a Unicorn. Then you should always be a Unicorn.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685606].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        Most are assuming that one word is sexist and because it was said to a person of color, it must be racist.....blah de blah blah.

        Could it be it was the lesser definition of the word "whore" that was intended? The third definition listed in the dictionary is:



        Oh wait - that couldn't be sensationalized as well, could it?
        Actually, in the context of the messages, it is really the only one that fits. Though she was OBVIOUSLY a woman and black, she was allowed to do what a white man would have. It is simply that, like MANY writers on such sites, REGARDLESS of color or sex, she wasn't paid.

        HEY, don't start serving at applebees and figure you will get paid. You FIRST have to interview, be accepted, AGREE ON THE WAGE, FILL OUT FORMS, etc...

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685688].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Quincy
      It's not my job son to teach you what's racist. Frankly I don't care if you ever learn what's racist. Maybe you have'nt been exposed to many "-ism's" in your life, and that's great.

      If you want to try a social experiment, drift away from from warrior forum for a second. Go to a forum where most people come from a different walk of life.

      Surely you're aware that the pre-dominate demographic of people on the warrior forum is young white and male. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

      However if you want to here a different point of view 1. go to a site where the primary demographic is female or people of color, 2. post the link to the article, 3. post your comments that you've made here on this thread, 4. Really try to listen to people comments who have a different background that you.

      You might have a very different experience than you've had here on the warrior forum.

      So who's right. I'm not sure. I know what I believe though. I firmly believe that to have intelligent conversations on sexism and racism, you must CALMLY leave your own comfort zone and really listen to people who might have a different perspective than you might have.

      Certainly you acknowledge that cultural bias exists which have traditionally pushed white male perspectives to the forefront, right?

      One thing you should realize is that when you refuse to validate women's feelings on gender bias or people of color's feelings on racial bias, you never get them to honestly open up to you regarding their circumstances. That would be unfortunate.

      Nevertheless, I honestly wish you and yours the best of luck, my friend. Take care.

      Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

      How is it racist?

      If you are referring to urban, she uses that word herself AND....

      ur·ban (ûrbn)
      adj.
      1. Of, relating to, or located in a city.
      2. Characteristic of the city or city life.

      How is it even sexist really? Though WHORE IS a bad word in ANY case!

      I will tell you that SHE sounds racist! She brought up race in that video, she CLAIMED to "'I pimp game,' Lee said in her video response. 'I know how this works.'", etc....
      Was she *****EVER***** offered ANY compensation? NOPE! She apparently knew nothing about it. Why should one expect that it is even an organization that pays.

      She laughs at HIM for thinking that her abrupt termination after he said they don't pay guest bloggers is due to the fact that he isn't paying her. SHE, on the other hand, assumes that this is not only SEXIST, which is debatable, but RACIST?!?!?!?

      BTW with laws the way they are in the US, if they were found to pay ALL of the whites, or ALL of the men, and NONE of the blacks or NONE of the women, they would likely be successfully sued and out a lot of money.

      OH YEAH, my step mother has a business that writes for a LOT of trade magazines! THEY GET PUBLISHED!!!!!!!!! The magazines DO NOT PAY HER!!!!!! Is it sexist? NOPE! The people she writes for pay her. This case is FAR from unique!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685962].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by Quincy View Post

        It's not my job son to teach you what's racist. Frankly I don't care if you ever learn what's racist. Maybe you have'nt been exposed to many "-ism's" in your life, and that's great.
        I'm being exposed to too MANY isms, thank you!

        If you want to try a social experiment, drift away from from warrior forum for a second. Go to a forum where most people come from a different walk of life.

        Surely you're aware that the pre-dominate demographic of people on the warrior forum is young white and male. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
        I looked at what holmes was said to look at for a while. I saw a LOT of anti semitism, racism, misplaced "white pride", etc... UGLY! I did it because I was curious, and they claimed things about those sites. I never posted, and don't even have a record of the URLs now.

        I have visited similar sites that were full of racist minorities. I often go to youtube, and see a lot of good and bad there. I have been on sites where there were a lot of rich and poor. I think I have seen enough POVs, thankyou.

        I was accused of listening too much to one of the most popular conservative talk show hosts around. Interesting, I knew/agreed with much of it before, but disagreed with his no limits to size/ecological footprint ideas. But the fact was that I listened more to a big liberal talk show host. It was simply that the timeslot was better.

        However if you want to here a different point of view 1. go to a site where the primary demographic is female or people of color, 2. post the link to the article, 3. post your comments that you've made here on this thread, 4. Really try to listen to people comments who have a different background that you.
        OH, I already know what the biases would be. I knew that DECADES ago! I am simply saying they are unfounded given the article!

        So who's right. I'm not sure. I know what I believe though. I firmly believe that to have intelligent conversations on sexism and racism, you must CALMLY leave your own comfort zone and really listen to people who might have a different perspective than you might have.
        You think this is the ONLY place I have been? I guess you figure I went to private all white all male schools all my life! OK, I went to an all male school for about 1 year. Even THAT was far from all white. The school wasn't even like 50% born american. The native language of many in the school was NOT english! It was Farsi, Armenian, Spanish, and possibly a few others. And for the first few years, I DID go to a private school. It wasn't all male or all white, or even all born american. But most of the years were in public schools, which of course had a good mix, in some cases, I doubt even 1/4 was white and male. Most was in the LA school district in California. HECK, I even had people running up to me asking questions in SPANISH, ON THE STREET! I ALSO served on a project to the poor, delivered food to the poor, helped out on a city councilmans(He's serving on the US HR Energy and Commerce Committee) panel on the poor, and worked on a soup line in hollywood. I got to see a lot there.

        Certainly you acknowledge that cultural bias exists which have traditionally pushed white male perspectives to the forefront, right?
        REALLY? You think that there is a "cultural bias exists which have traditionally pushed white male perspectives to the forefront"?!?!?!?!? On what planet? What nation? If you were talking about the US and some european nations prior to say 1960, ok, MAYBE! Since then, it has been pushing them anyway BUT! That is NOT to say that people even THEN were saying blacks should be held back, etc... Affirmative action started before 1961. Jim crow and some other things ended in 1964. Of course, over half the nation WAS against Jim Crow. The supporters tried to compromise with the opponents as early as 1890.

        One thing you should realize is that when you refuse to validate women's feelings on gender bias or people of color's feelings on racial bias, you never get them to honestly open up to you regarding their circumstances. That would be unfortunate.
        Who's talking FEELINGS? It isn't what she FEELS about what the guy COULD have been thinking or COULD have meant. OK, I GIVE, MAYBE he is racist! MAYBE he is SEXIST! But the statements didn't really say anything sexist, and didn't say anything racist, and that is ALL I am talking about! ICSM. But really, it is immoral, unjust, and even ILLEGAL to persecute simply on FEELINGS! If you want THAT, imagine what could happen if YOU were accused of such a problem. There is NO defense!

        HEY, if the owner of that blog were black and a woman, and said the SAME thing to me, under the SAME circumstances, I might have dragged her name through the mud for calling me a whore. I wouldn't have assumed she was sexist and racist though. And I haven't bothered to even ask anyone about whether they would pay me. I sometimes make jokes along that vein(asking for payment) here to illustrate a point, but that is IT!

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8686254].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kay King
          If you expect to find sexism or racism...or any other ism...you'll find it in many stories/news items you read or hear about.

          In that mindset a rude remark by a no-name stranger isn't discarded as snide and petty but turned into a huge problem to be discussed and analyzed.

          A person who needed re-training is fired - another is even more convinced there is sexism and racism everywhere. No one wins and no one is better for the experience.
          Signature
          Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

          You should always be yourself...unless you can be a Unicorn. Then you should always be a Unicorn.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8686844].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
        Quincy,
        Surely you're aware that the pre-dominate demographic of people on the warrior forum is young white and male.
        Really?

        Where are you getting your demographic data? Certainly not from looking at the participants of this thread, which is all that's relevant to the discussion going on here. The average age of the participants in this thread is probably 15 to 20 years or more above the average age of the members of most forums in this market. A fair percentage of women, one gentleman we suppose to be of Chinese ancestry, and a few people whose race and ethnicity I couldn't even guess at.
        However if you want to here a different point of view 1. go to a site where the primary demographic is female or people of color, 2. post the link to the article, 3. post your comments that you've made here on this thread, 4. Really try to listen to people comments who have a different background that you.
        Because, of course, none of us have any life experience aside from this forum, and we have all limited our perspectives and exposure to that espoused by the white, male-dominated aristocracy.
        One thing you should realize is that when you refuse to validate women's feelings on gender bias or people of color's feelings on racial bias, you never get them to honestly open up to you regarding their circumstances.
        Define "validate," please.

        If, by that, you mean "accept as accurate without questioning," you're barking up the wrong sub-section. Folks here in the lounge question everything.

        If you want to find something worthwhile to argue about in the comments, look no further than the people who seem to think the word "whore" has racial connotations. That is truly offensive.

        The consensus here seems to be as follows:

        * The guy is definitely an insensitive boor. A jackass, even.

        * The word "whore" had no place in the original discussion.

        * He is probably at least somewhat sexist.

        * He may or may not be racist, but there's nothing in the posted comments to support that claim.

        Sticking to what was actually said is useful in avoiding pointlessly inflammatory situations, like the blogger's arbitrary dismissal of any opinions coming from people with "pale skin and penises."

        'Cause, you know, we're all, like, evil plutocrats. And stuff.

        She's right to discount comments from people who "drop the F-bomb" in their replies on her blog. Civility counts, especially in discussions of matters like this. But the race of the commenter simply shouldn't, and to couch the dismissal in the terms she did is as ignorant and insensitive as the "whore" comment that started the whole thing.

        Race-baiting is not an appropriate way to fight racism, whether real or perceived.


        Paul
        Signature
        .
        Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8687033].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Quincy
          Why such a emotional response to my comments, Paul? Seems like I struck a sensitive nerve with you. Race-baiting? Really? Where?

          "I truly wish you & yours the best of luck" - Those are words that incite such vitriol from a moderator. That is really unfortunate.

          But best of luck to you to, Paul, maybe you were just having an off day.

          Take care
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8688454].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
            Quincy,
            Why such a emotional response to my comments, Paul?
            I'm not seeing anything in my reply that looks like an emotional response to anything you said. Could you be specific? Maybe I'm missing something.
            Race-baiting? Really? Where?
            That was in reference to the blogger's comment about people with "pale skin and penises." Nothing to do with your post.
            "I truly wish you & yours the best of luck" - Those are words that incite such vitriol from a moderator. That is really unfortunate.
            Interesting tactic. It fails on every point, though. First, there was no vitriol in my post. Second, pointing to a few words that had nothing to do with my reply and pretending the purported vitriol was incited by that phrase is disingenuous at best.

            Third, unless it's a discussion of forum policy, the fact that I'm a moderator is not relevant. I am a member here, and have the same privileges as any other member to speak my mind within the rules.

            I note that you didn't actually address any of my points. Like the question about where you're getting your demographic data for that comment about the composition of the membership, or how it applies to this thread.


            Paul
            Signature
            .
            Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8688691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    Here's the thing:
    Racism is bad except when it is directed towards White males and blonde women.

    (That was my attempt at a joke)
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8688746].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post

      Here's the thing:
      Racism is bad except when it is directed towards White males and blonde women.

      (That was my attempt at a joke)
      Without making any comment on THAT, I WILL say that many should take the story of the boy that cried wolf to heart!
      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8688765].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
    It occurs to me that Quincy may think the points in my summary of the consensus as I see it were directed at him. That's the only rational explanation I can come up with for the "emotional response" comment.

    Those points were directed at the guy who made the comments to the blogger originally. Not to Quincy.
    Signature
    .
    Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8689015].message }}

Trending Topics