The Wolf Of Wall Street. Did you watch it? Tons of spoilers

37 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
I did.

Parts were incredibly funny. And I read Belfort's first book, and the movie catches that spirit.

anyone?
  • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
    I saw it Claude and loved it. It's a very funny movie, expecially that one qualude scene. Decaprio nailed it and I love anything Scorcese does really.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8863535].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by TimPhelan View Post

      I saw it Claude and loved it. It's a very funny movie, expecially that one qualude scene. Decaprio nailed it and I love anything Scorcese does really.
      I agree. Watching DeCaprio and Jonah Hill act like maniacs is like living through the "Terrible twos" all over again.

      Phenomenal acting from both actors.

      I loved the movie. Now that I've said that. (Did you catch the Jordon Belfort cameo?)


      He's a sociopath. You simply cannot be so excited about knowingly ripping people off, without being a scumbag. Yes, that's a moral judgement.

      The hookers? The drugs? The yacht? The more hookers? Boys will be boys.

      The work ethic these guys had was astounding, and my hat's off to them.
      I have Jordon Belfort's sales course, and it's very good.

      But selling someone something, knowing for a dead certainty, that they are going to lose all their money? That's a special kind of low.

      He could have made just as much money, selling real offers, that were not an outright fraud.

      But the movie? I think I was laughing more than anyone in the theater. Jonah Hill is inherently funny. Sorry, but it's true. And he showed that he has serious acting chops. His teeth killed me. The "Yacht in the storm" scene was amazingly funny. Watching these guys on the jet (where Belfort gets restrained) is hilarious.

      Oh, and Matthew McConaughey was great too.

      Um...I wouldn't take a kid.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8863736].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
        Nope, I wouldn't take a kid either. Even a 16 year old. My girlfriend and I were discussing that after the movie. We will take her teenage daughters to some r rated movies but this one was too much and we were glad we didn't take them this time. Although there really isn't much violence, the sex, drugs and just bad behavior are throughout the whole movie.

        We saw it in a pretty packed theater and most were laughing but we were probably laughing the most. There are so many good scenes in the movie. Yeah, the yacht in the storm scene was hilarious. I also liked the scene where he thinks about making a move on his wifes aunt to get her to do a favor. lol

        The guy was a scumbag and deserved a much longer sentance even if he did cooperate with the feds.

        I didn't see the cameo. Where was that?

        By the way, if you haven't seen American Hustle yet, I highly recommend that one also. Great movie. Similar in some ways I think.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8863897].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by TimPhelan View Post

          Nope, I wouldn't take a kid either. Even a 16 year old. My girlfriend and I were discussing that after the movie. We will take her teenage daughters to some r rated movies but this one was too much and we were glad we didn't take them this time. Although there really isn't much violence, the sex, drugs and just bad behavior are throughout the whole movie.

          We saw it in a pretty packed theater and most were laughing but we were probably laughing the most. There are so many good scenes in the movie. Yeah, the yacht in the storm scene was hilarious. I also liked the scene where he thinks about making a move on his wifes aunt to get her to do a favor. lol

          The guy was a scumbag and deserved a much longer sentance even if he did cooperate with the feds.

          I didn't see the cameo. Where was that?

          By the way, if you haven't seen American Hustle yet, I highly recommend that one also. Great movie. Similar in some ways I think.
          Yeah, the Aunt scene is pretty good.

          At the end of the movie, the guy that introduces Belfort to the audience is the real Jordon Belfort. Short, about 50, black hair. He sounds like he's from Brooklyn. That's him.

          He sure can sell, though.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8863925].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialentry
    I didn't like the first book much. I really liked the movie.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8863552].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    It's on my have to see list.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8863583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author popstocks
    Banned
    spare a thought for his victims..they didn't see much back.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8863950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Braybrooke
    I liked Margot Robbie. Hot, sexy, totally delicious! What a Babe!

    Signature
    "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage." - Mark Russell
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8891929].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brady Partridge
      Originally Posted by David Braybrooke View Post

      I liked Margot Robbie. Hot, sexy, totally delicious! What a Babe!

      She was in the Aussie soap Neighbours. Lots of very comely lasses have emerged from that TV show: Kylie Minogue, Delta Goodrem, Natalie Imbruglia, just to name a few.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8892239].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
        Originally Posted by Brady Partridge View Post

        She was in the Aussie soap Neighbours. Lots of very comely lasses have emerged from that TV show: Kylie Minogue, Delta Goodrem, Natalie Imbruglia, just to name a few.
        Not to mention Jason Donovan...No, wait...Let me Google it.
        Signature

        Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8895255].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author multiplecloud
      Originally Posted by David Braybrooke View Post

      I liked Margot Robbie. Hot, sexy, totally delicious! What a Babe!

      Off topic but value to me
      Signature

      SafePBN - PBN on different shared hosting company
      █ 100% no bad neighborhood | host pbn at safest
      MultipleCloud - Multiple location hosting provider
      █ 200+ worldwide location | different server | different ip owner | best for pbn

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8895169].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author diizzle
    Brilliant movie, probably one of the best I have seen in cinema, enjoyed every minute of it right through out the 3 hours, the cerebral palsy scene had me in tears almost along with many other hilarious scenes, it's actually a great motivational movie to do something better with your life. I bet the Mcdonalds workers going to see this movie didn't feel to great after walking out lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8891965].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sumit Menon
    Great movie! DiCaprio was brilliant! I especially liked the Lemmon ludes part and the part where the Feds visit the yacht. In India they edit out all the 'good' scenes. So I have to get the American version and watch it again.

    I'd never heard of ludes before this movie.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8892900].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8892902].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    I have NOT read any of the comments deliberately. May I suggest that perhaps in the header, you use something like "spoilers" or "don't read if you haven't seen this show?"
    Then people such as myself who haven't seen it won't re ad and spoil the story because of whatever you wrote. I know this movie is only just being released here so I obviously haven't seen it yet but do intend to do so.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Website / Blog for more info.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8893299].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Braybrooke
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      I have NOT read any of the comments deliberately. May I suggest that perhaps in the header, you use something like "spoilers" or "don't read if you haven't seen this show?"
      Then people such as myself who haven't seen it won't re ad and spoil the story because of whatever you wrote. I know this movie is only just being released here so I obviously haven't seen it yet but do intend to do so.
      The title implies revealed content. Did we watch it? Yes, but no comment because Laurence needs to catch up. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's!

      MARGOT! MARGOT! MARGOT!

      Signature
      "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage." - Mark Russell
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8893350].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
      Laurence, this isn't a mystery or a whodoneit movie. Claude read the book before and most who see the movie have some sort of idea of what the story is about. I read a review before seeing it which went into a lot of detail and that didn't spoil it for me.

      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      I have NOT read any of the comments deliberately. May I suggest that perhaps in the header, you use something like "spoilers" or "don't read if you haven't seen this show?"
      Then people such as myself who haven't seen it won't re ad and spoil the story because of whatever you wrote. I know this movie is only just being released here so I obviously haven't seen it yet but do intend to do so.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8896105].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    reminded me of that ian dury song, sex and drugs and rock n roll, regrettably without the rock n roll

    thankfully i downloaded it on torrents

    hate to waste money on that garbage
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8894417].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Braybrooke
      Originally Posted by hardraysnight View Post

      reminded me of that ian dury song, sex and drugs and rock n roll, regrettably without the rock n roll

      thankfully i downloaded it on torrents

      hate to waste money on that garbage
      Oh c'mon, it was a trip! Large and loud and mean and intoxicating. Scorsese makes some big pictures.
      Signature
      "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage." - Mark Russell
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8894429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialentry
    There's zero mystery in that movie.

    It's basically the story of a guy who has a stock brokerage, makes a lot of money, then goes to jail. It's not the story, the story is actually really unoriginal if you think about it.

    it's how it's told that makes it good.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8896431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sumit Menon
    Claude,
    In one of the other threads you said you were like one of the greatest vacuum salesman ever.

    So, I was wondering, how you would sell the pen.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8898681].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Sumit Menon View Post

      Claude,
      In one of the other threads you said you were like one of the greatest vacuum salesman ever.

      So, I was wondering, how you would sell the pen.
      Actually, while I was watching it, I gave it quick consideration. Here's about what I was going to say;

      "Think about all the important things you have accomplished in your life...all the impressive things you've acquired. All of these defining moments required your signature. haven't they." (Yes)

      'Imagine all the future accomplishments that you'll achieve. Your signature will be there forever for everyone to see. Don't these moments deserve a fine writing instrument to match the quality of the documents you will be signing?"
      (yes)
      "Feel the pen's weight. Hefty, to give a smooth line. Comfortable, to match the calm assurance you have while making these decisions. And the people present, will see another perfectly crafted piece of evidence, that everything about you is top shelf, including your pen. The signatures you write will represent millions of dollars in future income. And for a pen that will last your lifetime, $349 is a drop in the bucket, isn't it?" (I suppose so)

      "Did you just want one? Or should you also have a backup in case yours gets misplaced?"


      Off the top of my head.


      That's how to sell a pen.

      added later; I also should have added, at the end "Don't you deserve the best? Haven't you earned a pen like this?"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8901465].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Actually, while I was watching it, I gave it quick consideration. Here's about what I was going to say;

        "Think about all the important things you have accomplished in your life...all the impressive things you've acquired. All of these defining moments required your signature. haven't they." (Yes)

        'Imagine all the future accomplishments that you'll achieve. Your signature will be there forever for everyone to see. Don't these moments deserve a fine writing instrument to match the quality of the documents you will be signing?"
        (yes)
        "Feel the pen's weight. Hefty, to give a smooth line. Comfortable, to match the calm assurance you have while making these decisions. And the people present, will see another perfectly crafted piece of evidence, that everything about you is top shelf, including your pen. The signatures you write will represent millions of dollars in future income. And for a pen that will last your lifetime, $349 is a drop in the bucket, isn't it?" (I suppose so)

        "Did you just want one? Or should you also have a backup in case yours gets misplaced?"


        Off the top of my head.


        That's how to sell a pen.
        So you wont be known as the boss then. You will be known as "His Nibs"

        Good to see your back then. Relieved. Riffles being running riot with intellegent comments!
        Signature

        Where ever you go, there you are.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8901620].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sumit Menon
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Actually, while I was watching it, I gave it quick consideration. Here's about what I was going to say;

        "Think about all the important things you have accomplished in your life...all the impressive things you've acquired. All of these defining moments required your signature. haven't they." (Yes)

        'Imagine all the future accomplishments that you'll achieve. Your signature will be there forever for everyone to see. Don't these moments deserve a fine writing instrument to match the quality of the documents you will be signing?"
        (yes)
        "Feel the pen's weight. Hefty, to give a smooth line. Comfortable, to match the calm assurance you have while making these decisions. And the people present, will see another perfectly crafted piece of evidence, that everything about you is top shelf, including your pen. The signatures you write will represent millions of dollars in future income. And for a pen that will last your lifetime, $349 is a drop in the bucket, isn't it?" (I suppose so)

        "Did you just want one? Or should you also have a backup in case yours gets misplaced?"


        Off the top of my head.


        That's how to sell a pen.

        added later; I also should have added, at the end "Don't you deserve the best? Haven't you earned a pen like this?"
        Brilliant!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8907484].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author texico
    It looks a funny and incredible true story. I think I will go to watch it. I would like to be able to make all that amount of money: but honestly!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8898787].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author itwillbefun
    Loooooved it! That's a hard lifestyle, too many drugs. You have to keep those to a minimum
    Signature
    "The first step to getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8900040].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YemTv
    Download starting, completed soon....
    Signature
    CBDISCOUNTS - Clickbank Discounted Marketplace
    Magic Article Rewriter - SAVE $24 OFF!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8901641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maricelu
    I don't think I watched a sales related movie better than this one. The best scene for me was the one on the boat with those two FBI agents. Do you think the way they sold stocks on the phone might be used successfully in selling web-related products and services?
    Signature

    I have no signature.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8901756].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by maricelu View Post

      I don't think I watched a sales related movie better than this one. The best scene for me was the one on the boat with those two FBI agents. Do you think the way they sold stocks on the phone might be used successfully in selling web-related products and services?
      I have the scripts they used and the rebuttals to objections.

      There are some gems to take away. But the majority of it is pure intimidation, posturing, and appealing to greed. They made tons of money because they could call several hundred people a day.

      Would it work today? Maybe, but you have to be a complete scumbag to use these tactics. I've never seen so much lying, and outright deception in any sales script. It's fraud. No matter how you dress it up.

      I could see making several major sales a day. I can also see most of them cancelling. Only a sociopath would sell, the way Belfort taught his guys to sell....and it would have to a less than brilliant sociopath.

      The take-away here is to be fearless, call for 8 hours a day, and go for the close. That's the real "secret" here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8901884].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        The take-away here is to be fearless, call for 8 hours a day, and go for the close. That's the real "secret" here.
        Always be closing?

        I applied for a job back in the late 80s and had little clue what I was flirting with. I was offered the job, by the way. When I interviewed, I walked through a large room filled with guys at cubicles talking on the phone. They were cold calling and selling penny stocks.

        The guy who interviewed me came across as a sleaze bag. Young guy, slick, fast talking, etc. I told him I knew nothing about penny stocks. "No problem. We'll teach you."

        I was mulling over the offer the next day. I had an uneasy feeling. There was a magazine at work with a story about the guy who owned the company behind the penny stock job. He was under investigation for all kinds of fraud and SEC violations. It was one of those moments when you need information and guidance and it appears.

        My conscience wouldn't let me take that job. I'm glad I didn't.

        Ken
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8957422].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by KenThompson View Post

          Always be closing?

          I applied for a job back in the late 80s and had little clue what I was flirting with. I was offered the job, by the way. When I interviewed, I walked through a large room filled with guys at cubicles talking on the phone. They were cold calling and selling penny stocks.

          The guy who interviewed me came across as a sleaze bag. Young guy, slick, fast talking, etc. I told him I knew nothing about penny stocks. "No problem. We'll teach you."

          I was mulling over the offer the next day. I had an uneasy feeling. There was a magazine at work with a story about the guy who owned the company behind the penny stock job. He was under investigation for all kinds of fraud and SEC violations. It was one of those moments when you need information and guidance and it appears.

          My conscience wouldn't let me take that job. I'm glad I didn't.

          Ken
          Ken, my dearest new friend...who I just met.

          I never said Always be closing. That's a holdover from the 1980's. You would have been taught that, had you taken the job. I said "Go for the close". Most salespeople don't ask the customer to buy even once. That's a serious mistake usually.

          Me? I would have taken the job, in hindsight. It would have made cold calling absolutely painless, and would have made me fearless over the phone. And the important lesson I would have learned is, you can sell high ticket items over the phone.

          I would have hated everyone there. I may have stayed a few months and then left. But it would have been a great learning experience.

          Ooops! I keep forgetting that this isn't the forum for salespeople.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8957611].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author popstocks
    Banned
    yes he could have been a seriously succesful slaseman for sure....but not to the degree of money makig by scamming. That's the allure i guess. Business $1m p.a. Scam $25m p.a.

    He said he felt guily about ripping them off, that's why he took the drugs....but i don't buy it.

    He could have made just as much money, selling real offers, that were not an outright fraud.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8903367].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dinkO14
    I've watched it yesterday. Movie is simply excellent, one of the best I've ever watched.
    I love it but it doesn't mean that I support that kind of life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8903664].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maricelu
    If the movie is based on the real story of Jordans life and the whole doucesse and her aunt thing, especially the scene where he tried to kiss her (roflmao) was real, then one thing I am certain is that the creators of the film really had big balls to do those scenes.
    Signature

    I have no signature.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8903810].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lily mccoy
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8956354].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      Yeah, the Aunt scene is pretty good.

      At the end of the movie, the guy that introduces Belfort to the audience is the real Jordon Belfort. Short, about 50, black hair. He sounds like he's from Brooklyn. That's him.

      He sure can sell, though.
      Yep, l went to see it, with the 18+, sign, thinking, probably have the usual 15 minute sex scene and that will be that?

      Three hours of mainly drugs, sex and robbing the rich later!

      Phew, yep, great movie and very funny, although l went to see it during the day, when the theature had about 100 people in it!

      Most didn't laugh much, except me. Must have been a lot of Stock brokers in the audience??? :rolleyes:

      The car scene was pretty funny, "l got home without a scratch" he, he!

      The larger than life characters was certainly interesting.


      Glad they slipped in a similar movie reference.

      The scene at the start with Decapro, and his boss snorting cocaine, was pretty hilarious. Well the weird ritual was.

      If l went to an interview like that, l would have most likely walked out.

      Good example with his love life, ditch someone who is smart, attractive and morally centered, for a possibly more attractive, spoiled brat!

      Overall, if you are into black humor, very funny, but it does get serious occasionally!

      True the yaught scene was dripping, and shows the difference between someone who trys and someone who doesn't, (well, if he wasn't a crook it would).

      Time is a precious resource!



      Shane
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8956904].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bravo75
    Brilliant movie. Not a boring second from beginning to end. Loved it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8957435].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bravo75
    Some of the scenes reminded me a bit of "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8957821].message }}

Trending Topics