If you do jigsaw puzzles ...

15 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
My aunts birthday is coming up, she loves puzzles and turtles.
I took some photos and want to turn one of them into a board
jigsaw puzzle for her.

I am not a puzzle person.

Can you look at these two pics and tell me which one you
would prefer as a puzzle?

They are huge (13 megs)... even after i compressed them for uploading.
So if your on a slow or metered bandwidth don't bother looking.

Thanks

Pic 1 --

http://liveppvsonline.com/tootry/turtle/DSC07478.JPG

Pic 2 --

http://liveppvsonline.com/tootry/turtle/DSC07479.JPG

I guess a third option is to simply crop one and have the turtle itself
primary ... but i kinda think that takes away from the whole
a puzzle is supposed to be a pain in the ass ...

And while we are at it, what is your favorite puzzle size? and how many pieces.
I was thinking big ben style ...
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Arrr, first one, second one wouldn't load up, kept freezing?

    Keep the Turtle hidden, and l wouldn't go any bigger than A3!


    Shane
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9095654].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
      Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

      Arrr, first one, second one wouldn't load up, kept freezing?

      Keep the Turtle hidden, and l wouldn't go any bigger than A3!


      Shane
      Thanks, what does "A3" mean?

      Originally Posted by Sumit Menon View Post

      You can barely see the turtle on the first one. How would she know if it's a turtle or a snake in either of the pics?
      Those are full frame photos. Meaning, click the plus sign or on the pic
      to see the "true - actual" size / pic. Then it will be unmistakeable.
      Signature

      Selling Ain't for Sissies
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9095682].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sumit Menon
        Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

        Thanks, what does "A3" mean?



        Those are full frame photos. Meaning, click the plus sign or on the pic
        to see the "true - actual" size / pic. Then it will be unmistakeable.
        Sure. But is the puzzle going to be as large when you print it? You must really hate her.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9095686].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
          Originally Posted by Sumit Menon View Post

          Sure. But is the puzzle going to be as large when you print it? You must really hate her.
          ... and here I was thinking I needed to have it made larger.

          seriously ... I was.

          My interpretation of what I think puzzle people like ... is
          big, overly complicated pictures with a bazillion or so pieces.

          Am I wrong?
          Signature

          Selling Ain't for Sissies
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9095701].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author kenzo22
            Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

            ... and here I was thinking I needed to have it made larger.

            seriously ... I was.

            My interpretation of what I think puzzle people like ... is
            big, overly complicated pictures with a bazillion or so pieces.

            Am I wrong?
            It has to be challenging, time consuming, but not irritating Don't go over 2000 pieces

            Also, make sure that she have some free space(big table) in her place, which can be covered in puzzles for a few days/weeks The worst thing is when you have great puzzles and you are not able to play with them in comfortable way
            Signature

            Backup and maintenance plugin for WordPress
            www.wpguards.com

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9095782].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
              Originally Posted by kenzo22 View Post

              It has to be challenging, time consuming, but not irritating Don't go over 2000 pieces

              Also, make sure that she have some free space(big table) in her place, which can be covered in puzzles for a few days/weeks The worst thing is when you have great puzzles and you are not able to play with them in comfortable way

              Sounds like you have done a few puzzles yourself

              The place I am going to have it done at offers this.

              1500 PIECES
              33" x 24"

              How does that sound to you?
              She has a folding card table that she uses exclusively for her puzzles.
              She has that part covered.
              Signature

              Selling Ain't for Sissies
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9096037].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

            ... and here I was thinking I needed to have it made larger.

            seriously ... I was.

            My interpretation of what I think puzzle people like ... is
            big, overly complicated pictures with a bazillion or so pieces.

            Am I wrong?
            No, you're right. And a puzzle with repeating patterns (like both pictures you posted) is the best kind of puzzle. Making it hard is the whole point.

            Make it at least 1,000 pieces.

            She'll love it.

            Either photo is fine. Honestly, there is very little difference.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9096223].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              No, you're right. And a puzzle with repeating patterns (like both pictures you posted) is the best kind of puzzle. Making it hard is the whole point.

              Make it at least 1,000 pieces.

              She'll love it.

              Either photo is fine. Honestly, there is very little difference.
              I thought so about the repeating patterns.

              I took some real detailed photos of a translucent green dragonfly
              hanging onto a blade of grass. .... everything is green
              hard to see anything but grass until your eyes focus.

              If she did not love turtles so much, that's the one I would have
              chosen.

              Thanks bro

              btw;
              There is a HUGE difference in the two pics.
              Subtle, but huge.
              Signature

              Selling Ain't for Sissies
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9096324].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Kay King
              I'd say use the second option. It would be hard - but the first option would be extremely hard. Seriously you could go looney tunes trying to match leaves of same shape and color.
              Signature
              Our Grandparents were called to war. We are being called to sit on the couch - we can do this.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9096328].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sumit Menon
    You can barely see the turtle on the first one. How would she know if it's a turtle or a snake in either of the pics?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9095668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

    My aunts birthday is coming up, she loves puzzles and turtles.
    Does she like leaves?

    I don't even see a turtle. I'm beyond puzzled!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9096560].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    I have to agree with Claude on this one. However - I didn't see any real difference between the two shots.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9096643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    Trying to open those humongous compressed files was a jigsaw puzzle in itself. Anyway, nice photos.

    Does your son like jigsaw puzzles? My son enjoys them.
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9096857].message }}

Trending Topics