Objection - "Project in that area are on hold"

by thet
17 replies
Is this an objection? If so, how to respond?

It feels different then "We dont have the time to meet".

If projects are on hold, is it then still worth the meeting?
#objection
  • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
    Thet, I look and see every second post is a question of yours and you seems to running a hundred mile an hour into the wind, slow down buddy and take some time to read a few good books or attend some seminars etc, absorb the information and work out what will work best for you over a period of time with some real life hard work in along the way, and yes also ask a few questions and you will be good.
    Signature
    | > Choosing to go off the grid for a while to focus on family, work and life in general. Have a great 2020 < |
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9683619].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thet
      Originally Posted by tryinhere View Post

      Thet, I look and see every second post is a question of yours and you seems to running a hundred mile an hour into the wind, slow down buddy and take some time to read a few good books or attend some seminars etc, absorb the information and work out what will work best for you over a period of time with some real life hard work in along the way, and yes also ask a few questions and you will be good.
      It's my ADHD
      Signature

      Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
      — Charlie Munger

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9683625].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Stewart
      Originally Posted by tryinhere View Post

      Thet, I look and see every second post is a question of yours and you seems to running a hundred mile an hour into the wind, slow down buddy and take some time to read a few good books or attend some seminars etc, absorb the information and work out what will work best for you over a period of time with some real life hard work in along the way, and yes also ask a few questions and you will be good.
      This^^^^^

      You need to educate yourself about your craft. Learn how to deal with different types of personalities, how to deal with certain objections (many of those will be niche specific), how to sell over the phone vs face to face, etc, etc.

      Also, if you're struggling overcoming certain objections, simply move on to the next call until you figure out the best way to handle it. Don't allow a few objections to slow you down. "To analyze is to paralyze". Hang up and move on to the next call. Figure it out later.
      Signature

      My New "Share All" Blog Is Coming Soon! Online & Offline Marketing, More!

      http://www.UnCENTSored.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9683643].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author thet
        Originally Posted by Joe Stewart View Post

        This^^^^^

        You need to educate yourself about your craft. Learn how to deal with different types of personalities, how to deal with certain objections (many of those will be niche specific), how to sell over the phone vs face to face, etc, etc.

        Also, if you're struggling overcoming certain objections, simply move on to the next call until you figure out the best way to handle it. Don't allow a few objections to slow you down. "To analyze is to paralyze". Hang up and move on to the next call. Figure it out later.
        Well, I don't see any harm in asking expert on a form dedicated to Offline marketing.
        I can try to reinvent the wheel, or just try to learn from the best and what they learned.

        The way I respond now is kind of.. : So, when are projects coming up again?

        Doesn't feel that strong. So i am looking for feedback

        In the meantime, I cold call every day, 5 days a week, 40 hours a week so I am already gaining experience quickly.
        Signature

        Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
        — Charlie Munger

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9683652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
    Just say, "Oh I see. Well then we REALLY need to meet asap! "

    If you had gone to Claude's youtube channel like I suggested you would have had your answer. Great video where he addresses this kind of objection and relates it to just be like a child's persistence for wanting mommy to buy them candy or a toy. The child doesn't respondrespond logically to the mother's objections for not wanting to buy the candy, he just repeats "mommy, I want that". Over and over, no matter what mommy says the child just says, "mommy I want that".

    Now go to spend time watching those videos.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9683859].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thet
      Originally Posted by jamesfreddyc View Post

      Just say, "Oh I see. Well then we REALLY need to meet asap! "

      If you had gone to Claude's youtube channel like I suggested you would have had your answer. Great video where he addresses this kind of objection and relates it to just be like a child's persistence for wanting mommy to buy them candy or a toy. The child doesn't respondrespond logically to the mother's objections for not wanting to buy the candy, he just repeats "mommy, I want that". Over and over, no matter what mommy says the child just says, "mommy I want that".

      Now go to spend time watching those videos.
      Yes I saw them. I did not relate it to this particulair objection.
      Signature

      Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
      — Charlie Munger

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9683864].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
        Originally Posted by thet View Post

        Yes I saw them. I did not relate it to this particulair objection.
        "We don't have the budget this month"
        "We have 1 too many projects going this month"
        "Can we talk next quarter?"

        Sure these could all be true. Most likely not and are brushoff attempts because there is always room to plan outward months ahead and so,

        "We should REALLY meet asap".

        They are reflexive response, not a logical one, that you are taking as an "objection".
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9683903].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thet
          Originally Posted by jamesfreddyc View Post

          "We don't have the budget this month"
          "We have 1 too many projects going this month"
          "Can we talk next quarter?"

          Sure these could all be true. Most likely not and are brushoff attempts because there is always room to plan outward months ahead and so,

          "We should REALLY meet asap".

          They are reflexive response, not a logical one, that you are taking as an "objection".
          In a way, I understand we are trying to reach their reptile brain. But, I also think what we say must make sense, right?

          So, why would you meet now if there are no projects or they are on hold? Logically?
          Signature

          Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
          — Charlie Munger

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9683947].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
            Originally Posted by thet View Post

            In a way, I understand we are trying to reach their reptile brain. But, I also think what we say must make sense, right?

            So, why would you meet now if there are no projects or they are on hold? Logically?
            The answer is in the video. He tells you exactly why the response should not be logical.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9683962].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author thet
              Originally Posted by jamesfreddyc View Post

              The answer is in the video. He tells you exactly why the response should not be logical.
              Okay. Will rewatch it. I probably missed the point
              Signature

              Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
              — Charlie Munger

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9683986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialentry
    I'm just curious, what do you or the other guys @ your place of work usually say?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9683999].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thet
      Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

      I'm just curious, what do you or the other guys @ your place of work usually say?
      I usually say: Do you know when projects get started again?

      And.. then they tell me next year. So, I realised this is just a standard response for them.

      I am alone in my job. I am the only one who does this.
      Signature

      Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
      — Charlie Munger

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9684259].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by thet View Post

        I usually say: Do you know when projects get started again?

        And.. then they tell me next year. So, I realised this is just a standard response for them.

        I am alone in my job. I am the only one who does this.
        Yeah, don't ask that. It's a guaranteed way to get cut off. It's like saying "Are you sure?" after they say "No".

        I had an appointment setter that thought she was selling, when they said "We aren't interested". She would then ask "Are you sure?".

        She was a very nice lady, but I had to ask her not to ask that. Because nobody...in the history of this planet, ever said "You know, now that I think about it. I really am interested"
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        Terence Fletcher: "There are no two words in the English language more harmful than Good Job." Whiplash.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9685061].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thet
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          Yeah, don't ask that. It's a guaranteed way to get cut off. It's like saying "Are you sure?" after they say "No".

          I had an appointment setter that thought she was selling, when they said "We aren't interested". She would then ask "Are you sure?".

          She was a very nice lady, but I had to ask her not to ask that. Because nobody...in the history of this planet, ever said "You know, now that I think about it. I really am interested"
          Yes. It's weird.
          If you data a girl, and you make the first move.. and she says no... you would not say: "Are you sure?"
          You would continue the date.. and make a move later.
          Signature

          Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
          — Charlie Munger

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9685867].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author misterme
        Originally Posted by thet View Post

        I usually say: Do you know when projects get started again?

        And.. then they tell me next year.
        Yeah you're buying into their phantom objection.

        Look, if they're for real, and the job's on hold, then it's not an Objection, it's an Exemption, and ain't a thing you can do about it to convince them the job's not on hold...

        So all you can do is test it to see if it's true or not.

        You take the situation and make that the basis for why they need to see you now rather than later. Can you think of a few reasons why they'd really, really be better off seeing you and seeing you NOW rather than later to take advantage of the time lag between now and when the project allegedly starts up?

        And if they continue to say no no no no then they're probably making up the story so what's the point of spending more time on them?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9687457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by thet View Post

    Is this an objection? If so, how to respond?

    It feels different then "We dont have the time to meet".

    If projects are on hold, is it then still worth the meeting?

    "Projects in that area are on hold" is a reflex. The response doesn't have to answer it, because the objection isn't real. What does that objection even mean? What area?

    If they would have said "I can't buy anything that isn't purple", how would you answer it?

    Some objections are reflexes. If you answer the objection, it won't get you anywhere, because the objection isn't real. That's one of the reason some great answers to objections don't have any effect.

    I would ignore the objection, just say "Then we should really meet. Is 3PM tomorrow OK?".

    And...Thet, you are going to get objections that make no sense at all. You don't have to have a separate answer for all of them.

    If I were in a playful mood (And couldn't get fired), I might say "I only talk to people who have projects like mine...that are put on hold. It's the only people I talk to. Tomorrow at 3PM?"

    I've said sillier things, and it gets a laugh (because their mind finally is paying attention), and they give me an appointment.

    I wouldn't do it if they could complain, and you could get fired. But it's fun.
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

    Terence Fletcher: "There are no two words in the English language more harmful than Good Job." Whiplash.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9684207].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rossle
    Originally Posted by thet View Post

    Is this an objection? If so, how to respond?

    It feels different then "We don't have the time to meet".

    If projects are on hold, is it then still worth the meeting?
    I have to admit, that's not an objection I hear that often, but this is what I would say.

    You: "So, projects in that area are on hold?" (a question they have to say "yes" to)
    Them "yes"
    You: "I see, would I be correct in thinking there is no movement in that part of your business?"
    Them "yes, that's correct" (another reflex question, and another "yes" answer)
    You: "I'm thrilled that your business is doing well, but in today's fast moving business environment where everyone is constantly competing against each other, it might be risky to have such an important area of your business on hold. This may prevent your business from moving forward and adapting to the constant changing climate, while your competitors begin to move ahead of you. Shall we spend a moment to see how you can continue to win in this marketplace?"

    The first 2 questions are designed to provide a yes answer. Why? Because after asking the 3rd question, there's a better chance they may say yes again after having already said it twice.

    Hope that helps,

    Ross
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9691704].message }}

Trending Topics