How I made $60,000 - Happy Holidays!

20 replies
I have been in business for a couple of years now. Last year I made a resolution to try a different marketing method that I never used, and stick with it for 6 months. Here's what I did.

Everyone knows that Facebook is extremely powerful. Millions of dollars float through Facebook every year. And yet, it's so untapped. There are so many possibilities and people just ignore facebook all together.

So my plan was to set up a campaign that allowed me to utilize facebook's PPC advertising.

I picked mobile websites as my foot in the door service. My goal of the campaign was to make an offer to those that needed a mobile website...not seo, not web design, not ppc campaign setup.....Mobile websites.



1. I found a 2-step landing page template somewhere. I think it might have been Leadpages? Anyway I liked the simplicity of it. I didn't want my visitors being distracted. So I took this template and reconfigured it a little bit. I changed the "Confirm your status" to a simple text input box and put "Your website URL here" ...When they clicked continue for step two, it switched over and asked them for their phone number. When they continued we re-routed them to a new page with a custom script on it, but we used Ajax coding to keep the page within the same frame so the user didn't see the page change. And obviously the background...

2. The custom page - We ripped the idea from dudamobile. Re-created the mockup process that they use. This page was coded to take the URL input from STEP 1 on the landing page and automatically begin on page load. This worked seamlessly because once the user clicked "Let me see it" on step 2 the new script would load, and begin, all in the same frame.

3. Once the script showed them a mockup of the website I routed it to another page with a video of me standing in front of a projector screen with the SAME website pulled up as they had. In the video I QUICKLY explained the importance of a mobile website, congratulated them on taking the step in the right direction, and asked them to click on the big BUY NOW button below and that I would personally call them within 1 hour of the order to set the website up for them on their server.

Below the video and the CTA button, I posted a long infographic covering exactly what the video went over, I also threw in some client testimonials.

4. Once they clicked on the buy now button i routed them to my company website thank you page where I showed them a gallery of my hundreds of mobile websites. When i got an order I would call them and talk for 5 minutes about the website, explain what I needed from them, and build the website with dudamobile. I paid $9/mo to dudamobile to host the website. I charged $297 for the website and $29/mo.

5. The Facebook integration - I setup multiple ads targeting the people I thought would be best fit for my offer. I made the ads simple. Whatever I could say to make them click and keep it on topic. "Free mobile website mockup generator" "Convert your website to mobile in one click" etc. I tested probably 40 different ads. Some worked, some sucked.
At the end of the 8 months I checked my paypal account and I had sent facebook around $15k for the ads.

Sold around 215 websites

There you have it...

Things have changed a little bit now, I don't use dudamobile anymore with new client's, we have our own server. And we develop them with better templates now. This is just my example of taking a simple method, and making the best of it using the resources you have.

I'll be honest...I didn't think it was going to work. I just felt like it was going to be tricky to get people to spend $300 that quick since i was showing no value to them at all. I think it was just the fact that they had a ready-made, good looking website sitting right there and just said screw it.

I also followed up to every person that filled out their url. So those that didn't buy, still got a call from me. This helped tremendously. In fact, over half my sales where probably because I followed up. And I didn't wait. I set a notification so my phone dinged every time the form was completed. I would literally call them up as soon as possible.

I admittedly put a lot of work into the process and didn't really track my results as far as CTA, and conversion %. The statistics I'm giving you are ONLY the $$ made from this campaign. Meaning all the upsells are excluded. These 200 or so client's have given me a LOT more business than what I'm publicizing.

I'm pretty new here and have not posted a whole lot. But one thing I'm noticing is that you guys are lazy. There are so many people that are on here begging for some magic information. And you're getting great advice and help, don't get me wrong. But I constantly see the simplest subjects turn into the most complex conversations that completely avoid the real problem...you're lazy. People don't become successful because they find a secret formula, people become successful because they're willing to give up every single thing that they have to get there. They're willing to stay up for 24-48 hours at a time. They're willing to throw their social life away. They're willing to do whatever it takes to become successful. There have been a handful of times I have wanted to reply to a thread and say "Just give up, you obviously don't have what it takes".

If you really want to make 2015 a good year and are tired of living paycheck to paycheck, you're going to have to sweat, bleed, and cry for it. Perhaps some people should take the time they spend browsing the forum, and build some stupid mobile websites with dudamobile like I did.

Hopefully a couple people can learn something from this. Happy Holidays!
#$60 #happy #holidays #made
  • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
    Definitely a LeadPages template. They put out so much dang free content -- I did the same thing with their stuff and setup my sales funnel. It just requires a bit of development (we are an ASP.NET/SqlServer shop tho). I'm doing more email outreach at the moment but will be ramping up PPC next year for sure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9726973].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Can you share your CPC and CTR from the ads? I know you said you didn't keep track but you have campaign data in your FB account.

    I've used it a bit for myself and clients but I've been thinking of using it for a lead magnet to go into the trip wire.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9726995].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shadow92
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      Can you share your CPC and CTR from the ads? I know you said you didn't keep track but you have campaign data in your FB account.

      I've used it a bit for myself and clients but I've been thinking of using it for a lead magnet to go into the trip wire.
      I tried to post a screenshot on the OP but all the data was on our old account which is no longer active. I tried routing back through paypal but it's not working.

      My CPC was like $0.83

      I'm going to try it again with some twists. I'll make sure I keep track of the data this time around.

      Honestly I tried not to care too much because I was worried if I constantly looked at the data I would end up changing things all around and/or give up on it.

      All I cared about was the leads and following up, letting the system work on it's own. I put money in a bank account and said I'm spending every dime. Whatever happens, happens. Not the best approach, agreed. But it kept me going and didn't allow me to get discouraged because the numbers were not as expected.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9727084].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
        Originally Posted by shadow92 View Post

        I tried to post a screenshot on the OP but all the data was on our old account which is no longer active. I tried routing back through paypal but it's not working.

        My CPC was like $0.83

        I'm going to try it again with some twists. I'll make sure I keep track of the data this time around.

        Honestly I tried not to care too much because I was worried if I constantly looked at the data I would end up changing things all around and/or give up on it.

        All I cared about was the leads and following up, letting the system work on it's own. I put money in a bank account and said I'm spending every dime. Whatever happens, happens. Not the best approach, agreed. But it kept me going and didn't allow me to get discouraged because the numbers were not as expected.
        Do you know roughly how many leads you generated in that 15K?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9727089].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author shadow92
          Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

          Do you know roughly how many leads you generated in that 15K?
          I had 1,200 ish form submissions.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9727113].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
            Originally Posted by shadow92 View Post

            I had 1,200 ish form submissions.
            Damn... so .83 CPC = 18,072 clicks in a 15k budget. 18,072 visitors to the landing page, 1200 form submissions = About 6.7% of visitors converted into a lead. Of those 6.7%... 17-18% ended up buying.

            Those stats aren't very bad overall but you not wanting to mess with it probably cost you an additional $100,000 in missed opportunities.

            I'm surprised by this because leadpages usually has between 20-30% conversion in my experience for a very basic opt in, if you played around and did some split testing I'm fairly certain you could have got up to 14% by the time you had 2,000 clicks and that doubles your leads and in theory your sales.

            You could have been making a thread about how you made $120,000 instead of $60,000...430 client instead of 215. LOL.

            Nothing to sneeze at for sure, and you did pretty good, better than most people dream about but how are you not kicking yourself for not split testing and working on those numbers!?

            Regardless though... with those numbers and ROI it is certainly foolish to not try and replicate what you've done here, I expect to be seeing a lot more ads from everyone on this forum now.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9727164].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author shadow92
              Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

              Damn... so .83 CPC = 18,072 clicks in a 15k budget. 18,072 visitors to the landing page, 1200 form submissions = About 6.7% of visitors converted into a lead. Of those 6.7%... 17-18% ended up buying.

              Those stats aren't very bad overall but you not wanting to mess with it probably cost you an additional $100,000 in missed opportunities.

              I'm surprised by this because leadpages usually has between 20-30% conversion in my experience for a very basic opt in, if you played around and did some split testing I'm fairly certain you could have got up to 14% by the time you had 2,000 clicks and that doubles your leads and in theory your sales.

              You could have been making a thread about how you made $120,000 instead of $60,000...430 client instead of 215. LOL.

              Nothing to sneeze at for sure, and you did pretty good, better than most people dream about but how are you not kicking yourself for not split testing and working on those numbers!?

              Regardless though... with those numbers and ROI it is certainly foolish to not try and replicate what you've done here, I expect to be seeing a lot more ads from everyone on this forum now.

              I try to keep looking at the glass half full. You're completely right about the fact that I could have made more. My goal was not that though. My goal was to try it, and figure out the kinks along the way without messing with things strictly from the numbers.

              I have changed the offers around now and have a much more complex system I'm designing. However I'm anticipating a 300-400k return this time around. Not because of my increased budget. But because of the systems I have learned by experimenting with this past campaign.

              Upselling was what I was actually after. My goal was to make my money by upselling and I did. I upsold almost 60% of my clients on something. For some, it was a simple service, or a logo. For others, it was a 4 figure/month contract.

              I have refined my process to not only increase my "leads" but to also implement automatic systems to raise the value of each customer. Those $348/yr customers will be worth much more to me this cycle.

              Paying close attention to my numbers are another goal this time around. A/B split testing is in the scope. And I will be rotating 3 different tripwire offers. By the end of my 12 month frame, I plan on zeroing in on the one that's converting best and push the budget on that.

              I would hope I see an ad using this system some time. I made a full time business with one campaign. Dreamers will dream, entrepreneurs will implement
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9727225].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    Thanks so much for posting about your success with Facebook ads. I keep hearing people here and there say B2B ads for local just doesn't do well.

    I disagree and personally experience great results and you're another person that has also as well. Kudos!

    One thing that I'd really like to point out to other who've read your initial post is your commitment to speed to call.

    I learned the importance of speed to call from online inquiries back in 2006 as a roofing contractor and it make all the difference in my sales.

    Glad to see some one taking speed to call seriously!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9727293].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Great seeing somebody making money from paid advertising.

      Very valuable skill.

      Best,
      Doctor E. Vile
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9727382].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Electrical
        It takes me $57,000 to make $60,000. I'm in the wrong business.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9727497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luis Michael Orts
    This is AWESOME!!!! Curious to know how much you paid for the script... nonetheless, you went out on a limb with your previous knowledge... and now you'll knock it out of the park. SWEET.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9727634].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shadow92
      Originally Posted by Luis Michael Orts View Post

      This is AWESOME!!!! Curious to know how much you paid for the script... nonetheless, you went out on a limb with your previous knowledge... and now you'll knock it out of the park. SWEET.
      I have my own in house coder. The script too about 5 labor hours to complete.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9727824].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author somedevil
    Awesome twist to an age old method. Proves that creativity yields great revenue.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9729133].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by somedevil View Post

      Awesome twist to an age old method. Proves that creativity yields great revenue.
      I disagree with this. When I look at it, I see that someone who is doing basic things very well, which yields revenue...and in my opinion, much more valuable and better for his long term business than simply being creative.

      Sometimes creativity is only creative because nobody else would be dumb enough to try it.

      It's the basic concepts, processes, systems, and activities that yield the most results. The people that do those things very well are the ones that excel. The ones looking for a creative way to make money without the basics, they want a shortcut to success, those are the people that are making threads asking how to get more clients after 2 years of being on here regularly but only having one client....or worse... no clients.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9729221].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andrea Rillo
    Shadow92, Congratulations on your big success.
    I was actually thinking of doing something similar myself but I have a few doubts that floats in my mind.

    1) On the second page where you are talking about the "script" you mean that there is a script which show the customer on a frame what is his page looking like while using a mobile phone? Is it possible to have your page link through p.m? I was thinking about getting the number's phone+url and then showing them on a frame inside a "mobile phone" their page resized. Is this what you have done?

    2) There wasn't any kind of automatization, right? You made their website manually using dadamobile, correct?
    How long did you take to create each website? How long have you told them it would require before having their website ready? And how did you install/let their website become mobile if you didn't had access to their administration panel / ftp accounts?

    3) How did you manage the recurrings? Did you use paypal or something like chargify?

    4) If you sent them the websites ready, how did you do that? Through email?

    Thank you in advance for the answers.
    You are a great person sharing some of your knowledges for free here.
    I completely agree with you when talking about lazyness and so on.
    I'm having some success thanks to this forum and some advices that I read over here but it would have done nothing if I didn't ever take Action.
    Andrea Rillo
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9731755].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shadow92
      Originally Posted by Andrea Rillo View Post

      Shadow92, Congratulations on your big success.
      I was actually thinking of doing something similar myself but I have a few doubts that floats in my mind.
      1) On the second page where you are talking about the "script" you mean that there is a script which show the customer on a frame what is his page looking like while using a mobile phone? Is it possible to have your page link through p.m? I was thinking about getting the number's phone+url and then showing them on a frame inside a "mobile phone" their page resized. Is this what you have done?
      I can't share the actual page. A LOT of time was spent building the script. When I said 5 scripting hours I meant 5 hours spent on coding ONLY. That excludes gathering and building all the icons, backgrounds, textures, icons etc.

      The script is literally a clone of dudamobile.

      Last time I exposed one of my scripts to the public it was passed around like herpes.

      For someone actually trying to replicate this and wanting to bypass the investment in the script, you could try to find a work around.

      Perhaps instead of the 2nd page being a live preview of THEIR website, you could have some pre-designed ones. Make them fill out a form to receive their free instant preview via email. The key for this will be response time and follow up. You won't make shit if you let their attention expire and/or don't follow up on your no-sales.

      2) There wasn't any kind of automatization, right? You made their website manually using dadamobile, correct?
      How long did you take to create each website? How long have you told them it would require before having their website ready? And how did you install/let their website become mobile if you didn't had access to their administration panel / ftp accounts?
      No automation as far as processing orders. Made the site with dudamobile. Took a whopping 5 minutes per website. Signed them up with duda's hosting, and had them clear me access to the website files.

      I guaranteed the website would be finished, and sent to them for preview within 1 hour or I'd refund them. It's dudamobile, It's built so an idiot can make a mobile website in minutes. No reason it should take longer than 1 hour to create.

      3) How did you manage the recurrings? Did you use paypal or something like chargify?
      I don't manage the money. My accountant does. I hate paypal, and I have no idea what chargify is. I take credit card.

      4) If you sent them the websites ready, how did you do that? Through email?
      Yep, screenshots.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732432].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Andrea Rillo
        Originally Posted by shadow92 View Post

        I can't share the actual page. A LOT of time was spent building the script. When I said 5 scripting hours I meant 5 hours spent on coding ONLY. That excludes gathering and building all the icons, backgrounds, textures, icons etc.

        The script is literally a clone of dudamobile.

        Last time I exposed one of my scripts to the public it was passed around like herpes.

        For someone actually trying to replicate this and wanting to bypass the investment in the script, you could try to find a work around.

        Perhaps instead of the 2nd page being a live preview of THEIR website, you could have some pre-designed ones. Make them fill out a form to receive their free instant preview via email. The key for this will be response time and follow up. You won't make shit if you let their attention expire and/or don't follow up on your no-sales.



        No automation as far as processing orders. Made the site with dudamobile. Took a whopping 5 minutes per website. Signed them up with duda's hosting, and had them clear me access to the website files.

        I guaranteed the website would be finished, and sent to them for preview within 1 hour or I'd refund them. It's dudamobile, It's built so an idiot can make a mobile website in minutes. No reason it should take longer than 1 hour to create.



        I don't manage the money. My accountant does. I hate paypal, and I have no idea what chargify is. I take credit card.


        Yep, screenshots.
        Thank you for all the precious answer.
        Just the last one.
        What was your starting budget?
        You have gone just with ads, right?
        No seo or anything?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737299].message }}
      • You could definitely do something similar to this will reputation management, Adwords, or SEO. As long as you can pull data into a quick format for people and show them something of value.

        Great share, I've been thinking about similar stuff to test. Definitely having a great programmer is paramount.

        Mobile is so easy to fulfill, and you have millions of prospects, it's definitely a great trip wire or entry way.
        Signature



        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Life Naturally
    Great idea. Thanks for sharing I will try to use some of these concepts in my own marketing plan!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Corey Taylor
    Originally Posted by shadow92 View Post

    I have been in business for a couple of years now. Last year I made a resolution to try a different marketing method that I never used, and stick with it for 6 months. Here's what I did.

    Everyone knows that Facebook is extremely powerful. Millions of dollars float through Facebook every year. And yet, it's so untapped. There are so many possibilities and people just ignore facebook all together.

    So my plan was to set up a campaign that allowed me to utilize facebook's PPC advertising.

    I picked mobile websites as my foot in the door service. My goal of the campaign was to make an offer to those that needed a mobile website...not seo, not web design, not ppc campaign setup.....Mobile websites.



    1. I found a 2-step landing page template somewhere. I think it might have been Leadpages? Anyway I liked the simplicity of it. I didn't want my visitors being distracted. So I took this template and reconfigured it a little bit. I changed the "Confirm your status" to a simple text input box and put "Your website URL here" ...When they clicked continue for step two, it switched over and asked them for their phone number. When they continued we re-routed them to a new page with a custom script on it, but we used Ajax coding to keep the page within the same frame so the user didn't see the page change. And obviously the background...

    2. The custom page - We ripped the idea from dudamobile. Re-created the mockup process that they use. This page was coded to take the URL input from STEP 1 on the landing page and automatically begin on page load. This worked seamlessly because once the user clicked "Let me see it" on step 2 the new script would load, and begin, all in the same frame.

    3. Once the script showed them a mockup of the website I routed it to another page with a video of me standing in front of a projector screen with the SAME website pulled up as they had. In the video I QUICKLY explained the importance of a mobile website, congratulated them on taking the step in the right direction, and asked them to click on the big BUY NOW button below and that I would personally call them within 1 hour of the order to set the website up for them on their server.

    Below the video and the CTA button, I posted a long infographic covering exactly what the video went over, I also threw in some client testimonials.

    4. Once they clicked on the buy now button i routed them to my company website thank you page where I showed them a gallery of my hundreds of mobile websites. When i got an order I would call them and talk for 5 minutes about the website, explain what I needed from them, and build the website with dudamobile. I paid $9/mo to dudamobile to host the website. I charged $297 for the website and $29/mo.

    5. The Facebook integration - I setup multiple ads targeting the people I thought would be best fit for my offer. I made the ads simple. Whatever I could say to make them click and keep it on topic. "Free mobile website mockup generator" "Convert your website to mobile in one click" etc. I tested probably 40 different ads. Some worked, some sucked.
    At the end of the 8 months I checked my paypal account and I had sent facebook around $15k for the ads.

    Sold around 215 websites

    There you have it...

    Things have changed a little bit now, I don't use dudamobile anymore with new client's, we have our own server. And we develop them with better templates now. This is just my example of taking a simple method, and making the best of it using the resources you have.

    I'll be honest...I didn't think it was going to work. I just felt like it was going to be tricky to get people to spend $300 that quick since i was showing no value to them at all. I think it was just the fact that they had a ready-made, good looking website sitting right there and just said screw it.

    I also followed up to every person that filled out their url. So those that didn't buy, still got a call from me. This helped tremendously. In fact, over half my sales where probably because I followed up. And I didn't wait. I set a notification so my phone dinged every time the form was completed. I would literally call them up as soon as possible.

    I admittedly put a lot of work into the process and didn't really track my results as far as CTA, and conversion %. The statistics I'm giving you are ONLY the $$ made from this campaign. Meaning all the upsells are excluded. These 200 or so client's have given me a LOT more business than what I'm publicizing.

    I'm pretty new here and have not posted a whole lot. But one thing I'm noticing is that you guys are lazy. There are so many people that are on here begging for some magic information. And you're getting great advice and help, don't get me wrong. But I constantly see the simplest subjects turn into the most complex conversations that completely avoid the real problem...you're lazy. People don't become successful because they find a secret formula, people become successful because they're willing to give up every single thing that they have to get there. They're willing to stay up for 24-48 hours at a time. They're willing to throw their social life away. They're willing to do whatever it takes to become successful. There have been a handful of times I have wanted to reply to a thread and say "Just give up, you obviously don't have what it takes".

    If you really want to make 2015 a good year and are tired of living paycheck to paycheck, you're going to have to sweat, bleed, and cry for it. Perhaps some people should take the time they spend browsing the forum, and build some stupid mobile websites with dudamobile like I did.

    Hopefully a couple people can learn something from this. Happy Holidays!
    I'm pretty new here and have not posted a whole lot. But one thing I'm noticing is that you guys are lazy. There are so many people that are on here begging for some magic information. And you're getting great advice and help, don't get me wrong. But I constantly see the simplest subjects turn into the most complex conversations that completely avoid the real problem...you're lazy. People don't become successful because they find a secret formula, people become successful because they're willing to give up every single thing that they have to get there. They're willing to stay up for 24-48 hours at a time. They're willing to throw their social life away. They're willing to do whatever it takes to become successful. There have been a handful of times I have wanted to reply to a thread and say "Just give up, you obviously don't have what it takes".

    If you really want to make 2015 a good year and are tired of living paycheck to paycheck, you're going to have to sweat, bleed, and cry for it. Perhaps some people should take the time they spend browsing the forum, and build some stupid mobile websites with dudamobile like I did.




    Thank you for this.

    Things in IM go well for me, but a reminder is great once in a while.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9732248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Albertnosy
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9750199].message }}

Trending Topics