21 replies
Pls stop selling in the first minute of your call.. and when they give you an 'objection', it's not real. People get defensive and throw up any excuse to get you off the phone.. so pls stop trying to 'Handle the objection'. It's why people hate salesmen.

Objection handling is the number #1 overrated skill in selling.. by far. It's much better to not say things which cause objections in the first place. Think about that.. It's like being qualified to repair AND break windows. Very stupid.
#pls #stop
  • Profile picture of the author Freebiequeen1999
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979164].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matthew North
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979169].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post

        What do you mean? I have hundreds of posts here. Are you drunk?

        Don't let people discourage you Matt. Do your thing.


        For what it's worth I agree. It's better to not be objected to, rather than to spend all of your energy handling objections. Be easy to say yes to, and only spend your energy on people who want to talk to you.


        When you approach a call session with the attitude that "I only want to speak with people who want to speak with me" then you give off the vibe to everyone who answers like you aren't pressuring... and consequentially more people are responsive to you.


        You very literally ATTRACT a different kind of response.


        Ps. Giving away free advice in your area of expertise, and NOT having a link in your sig is just silly.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979180].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post

        What do you mean? I have hundreds of posts here. Are you drunk?
        You aren't doing anything wrong. Keep posting, and keep linking. that is the purpose of signatures.

        Anyway, I disagree a little. Having practiced answers to objections is a worthwhile skill. When you get to the point that you are qualifying so well, and positioning so well, that you just aren't getting many objections....you have arrived. But knowing answers to inevitable objections...is a useful skill.

        I will say this, if you are repeatedly getting the same objection, it's because you are doing something to cause it. If it's a money objection, the problem is usually in the qualifying process, in that you haven't established a value of your solution.

        Again, keep posting.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979296].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author eccj
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          Anyway, I disagree a little. Having practiced answers to objections is a worthwhile skill.
          Again, keep posting.
          Also being able to tell why they are objecting is a good skill. Is the objection just them telling you no? Or is it because they like what you have but are afraid to buy? Or it could be that the objection is really the objection.

          If it is one of the first two, I would still answer the objection as to not insult them and then follow up with "maybe I am wrong but I get the feeling that this might not be the solution to your problem. Is that right?" Or go for the close.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979795].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by eccj View Post

            Also being able to tell why they are objecting is a good skill. Is the objection just them telling you no? Or is it because they like what you have but are afraid to buy? Or it could be that the objection is really the objection.

            If it is one of the first two, I would still answer the objection as to not insult them and then follow up with "maybe I am wrong but I get the feeling that this might not be the solution to your problem. Is that right?" Or go for the close.
            Insightful.


            Me? I don't really care why they are objecting. I'll answer as though it were real. but first I may say "Oh? tell me more". I want them to play it out...get it out of their system. Many times, the objection looses steam, or I discover what they real problem is.

            In answering objections, the important thing is, they are getting closer to buying. As long as I can tell they still have interest, I'll answer their questions until I get a sale. But if they start pulling away, I know I've lost them.

            If their objections get shorter, with less story...I know they are just getting irritated, and I stop.

            As long as they are engaged, I know I'm getting a sale. It's only when they disengage, that I know I need to stop.
            Signature
            One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

            What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9993074].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Matt had to learn to be nice on the phone and avoid objections because here is how he rebuts:


        Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post

        What do you mean? .... Are you drunk?
        Somehow the customers just weren't favorably responding to his rebuttal style. He was forced to learn Jedi mind tricks!


        JK Matt. Lol
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9992424].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      Yes, it would be. But Matt wasn't doing that.

      I've followed him for over a year now.

      Originally Posted by Freebiequeen1999 View Post

      Yeah...and it would be nice if people engaged here before they came in with a new post targeted directly to the ad in their sig line LOL
      He did not shove his ad in your face.

      How do I know? I didn't see his ad; I only saw his post.

      Read some of his old posts, you'll love them, if you're as experienced a sales person / marketer as you've been claiming. Cross my heart!
      Originally Posted by Freebiequeen1999 View Post

      I don't like ads shoved in my face...it is why I only will watch tv with a dvr LOL
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9980035].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979209].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Stewart
    Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post

    Pls stop selling in the first minute of your call.. and when they give you an 'objection', it's not real. People get defensive and throw up any excuse to get you off the phone.. so pls stop trying to 'Handle the objection'. It's why people hate salesmen.

    Objection handling is the number #1 overrated skill in selling.. by far. It's much better to not say things which cause objections in the first place. Think about that.. It's like being qualified to repair AND break windows. Very stupid.
    I agree. It's about building trust and relationships, especially if you want repeat business. I despise people that try to sell me by getting in my face.

    That being said, I DO ask if I can pitch 3 items real quick while I have them on the phone and almost always get the green light. Some people buy stuff on the first call, too. Still, I'm always nice and respectful no matter what because I'm looking at long term relationships, not hit and run sales. I always treat people like I want to be treated.

    Please keep on sharing your tips, Matthew.

    Joe
    Signature

    My New "Share All" Blog Is Coming Soon! Online & Offline Marketing, More!

    http://www.UnCENTSored.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew North
    Thanks for all your support guys.. and I apologize for my reply. It came across as more defensive than I hoped.

    I agree that knowing how to handle objections is an important skill in itself, but people rarely look beyond the surface as to WHY people object in the first place. The reality is that: it's often impossible to know.. so it's very difficult to come up with the 'Perfect answer', because you could be answering, what you think is their objection, but in fact you are boxing with shadows. They could be lying, busy, crazy, preoccupied with something else.. objections are symptoms of something that makes them WANT to object.

    To me there are objections at the start of the call, which are mostly lies.. and then there are REAL concerns which happen a little later in the process. You absolutely need to be able to handle the real reasons for why the sale can't progress, but at the start of the call? That's not objection handling.. think about when a salesmen tries to 'handle' the objection 'I'm not interested?' That doesn't mean the person needs to be persuaded or 'Educated' on the amazing benefits of your product, it means they're either not a fit, or more likely, you are coming across as too intense and you are making the person defensive. The 'Objection', is them feeling defensive, because of something you said.. not because they're not interested. If you were selling the cure for cancer at hospital ward you would get the same reaction, it's just a reflex like hitting your knee, you can't control because it's part of your conditioning.

    The post was addressing the whole WIIFM thing that every salesperson is taught as the golden goose to get people hooked. By virtue of everyone else doing it, and because most people simply do not know what they are doing, you get categorized as every other lying time waster pushing a product on someone.. even if you aren't.. it's the perception of what you are doing.. and perception is reality.

    You need to do largely the opposite of what salespeople do.. never use phrases like 'Is now a good time to talk?' 'How are you?' 'Whats in it for you, is that..' Say these things and you dig your own grave.. you don't even get to properly qualify the opportunity because people will not be honest with you or take the call seriously. You need to sound, behave, act and believe in your positioning as a caring professional, and the prospect needs to believe it as well. If you have been in sales or customer service for a long time, I can guaruntee there are a few 'Tells', you are leaking that signals to the person that you are like every other salesman phoning for an appointment, it's in your tonality, your languaging, everything. The smallest differences make the biggest impacts on your results, it's all in the subtleties. A rising tonality at sentences, chasing for approval, sounding nervous or anxious, selling, persuading, are all AMATEUR concepts that people are taught which actually fukc them when it comes to the real world of selling. You need to evolve.
    Signature

    you cant hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9980432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hbhanot
    Thank God I don't have to do any of this calling stuff.
    Leave it to proffessionals and pay them 10%
    when Sale occur on $9000 Product.
    Isn't that more easy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9990376].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Nguyen
    Objection handling in the sense of:

    Client: I'm not interested
    You: What do you mean you're not interested?
    Client: Yeah just don't need it
    You: So you don't want more business?

    That would be "trying" to handle their objection. Call it what you like but you must be able to "handle/respond" to all objections whether its 10 seconds into a call or after the presentation.

    Eg. I did a cold call and the guy said

    Client: Objection 1 = "We're busy as it is, don't need any more".

    If you asked my a year ago, I would have bowed out and moved on but I said this instead I did this:

    Myself: "I understand you're busy and this is the perfect time to grow because I was once in your position and it affected me when work was going slow.
    Client: Objection 2 = "We still don't need it so why you pushing this on me?"
    Myself: "I get where you're coming from and you don't know me but the 3 mins we spend together could change the way you do business for good"
    Myself: Then I gave my qualifying question...


    I called him about his website but it was infact the wrong website using his number, he gave me his other website and we schedule time to review it. I didn't make that appointment for various reason but the point I'm making is, if you don't control the call, you'll be blown off all the time.

    I haven't tested fully and I'm open to be corrected but this approach of:
    "I only want to speak with people who want to speak with me", I feel leaves "alot" on the table, how much I don't know. From the list of 35 numbers I called, where I was able to "handle" their objections, I generated 2 leads because I acknowledged and proceeded. I didn't buy their objection. Im not stupid enough to keep bypassing objections but from what I've done so far, 2-3 objection handling situations from each call, let the call progress.

    My aim is to make all calls profitable and it might just requires 1 extra minute to "break" down their defenses. For me it makes more sense to do that first before searching for a willing prospect that will talk because at some point, I will get to talk to that prospect anyway.

    Being able to handle the situation got me 2 leads from a list of 35. It could have been nothing if i just wanted to speak to open prospects.

    Most objections are just knee jerk reactions, heck I even do it sometimes just out of habit but if I had a caller that was GOOD, and was able to keep me on the phone, I'd probably listen and that's the point. Gotta keep them on the phone instead of moving on too quickly.

    My 2 pence and what has worked for me.

    This is from someone else "You can talk about what THEY want to talk about which is why they are not going to buy, or you can talk about what YOU want to talk about which is why they should buy"
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9990654].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author daniyal100
    Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post

    Pls stop selling in the first minute of your call.. and when they give you an 'objection', it's not real. People get defensive and throw up any excuse to get you off the phone.. so pls stop trying to 'Handle the objection'. It's why people hate salesmen.

    Objection handling is the number #1 overrated skill in selling.. by far. It's much better to not say things which cause objections in the first place. Think about that.. It's like being qualified to repair AND break windows. Very stupid.
    so what you talk about in the first 60 seconds?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9991344].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matthew North
      Originally Posted by daniyal100 View Post

      so what you talk about in the first 60 seconds?
      Good Question,

      The first thing the person hears is you say is: 'Sorry for interrupting you, is now a bad time?'

      The first sixty seconds has an emphasis on relaxing the person.. so they do not feel compelled to say 'Not interested', out of reflex. It is not because they are not interested in your offer.. it is just a hardwired response that I think everyone feels when they are being sold.

      'I appreciate you probably get a lot of calls every day.'

      'You know more about your situation more than me or anyone else.'

      'Is this something you'd like to talk more about? It's okay if the answer is no.'

      You want to do.. largely the opposite of what everyone is doing. Ask questions, listen, relax them, build rapport by demonstrating a genuine curiosity and concern for the person you are speaking with. On a call, you are their psychiatrist for the next ten to twenty minutes.
      Signature

      you cant hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9991618].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
        Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post

        Good Question,

        The first thing the person hears is you say is: 'Sorry for interrupting you, is now a bad time?'

        The first sixty seconds has an emphasis on relaxing the person.. so they do not feel compelled to say 'Not interested', out of reflex. It is not because they are not interested in your offer.. it is just a hardwired response that I think everyone feels when they are being sold.

        'I appreciate you probably get a lot of calls every day.'

        'You know more about your situation more than me or anyone else.'

        'Is this something you'd like to talk more about? It's okay if the answer is no.'

        You want to do.. largely the opposite of what everyone is doing. Ask questions, listen, relax them, build rapport by demonstrating a genuine curiosity and concern for the person you are speaking with. On a call, you are their psychiatrist for the next ten to twenty minutes.

        You can literally substitute that with anything about the weather.

        Like this ... man its pouring like cats and dogs here ... whats it like there?

        - Before you think its dumb or ineffective .... try it.
        They will tell you what the weather is - they cant help it, even secretaries ...
        and before they finish the sentence ... they are pretty relaxed
        Signature

        Selling Ain't for Sissies!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9992460].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Joe Stewart
          Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

          You can literally substitute that with anything thing about the weather.

          Like this ... man its pouring like cats and dogs here ... whats it like there?

          - Before you think its dumb or ineffective .... try it.
          They will tell you what the weather is - they cant help it, even secretaries ...
          and before they finish the sentence ... they are pretty relaxed
          Yep. I've been doing exactly that for many years and it works well, Ken.
          Signature

          My New "Share All" Blog Is Coming Soon! Online & Offline Marketing, More!

          http://www.UnCENTSored.com

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9992512].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author eccj
          Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

          You can literally substitute that with anything thing about the weather.

          Like this ... man its pouring like cats and dogs here ... whats it like there?

          - Before you think its dumb or ineffective .... try it.
          They will tell you what the weather is - they cant help it, even secretaries ...
          and before they finish the sentence ... they are pretty relaxed
          When I worked at a call center, Dial America, doing outbound sales, we told everyone where we were calling from and how the weather was in our area and then asked them how the weather was in their area. Dial America is huge so I am sure they have a pretty good reason for asking about the weather.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9993049].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DABK
          It's dumb. But it works.

          I get calls like that sometimes. They ask about a local sports team. I don't care about such things. I really don't. But it's too rude not to answer. So, I answer. And, if I answered, now I'm in a conversation and they get to say something else. And I feel like I have to answer, as long as they're polite, not too cheerful, not sounding fake (too cheerful, for instance).

          In other words, it really works.

          Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

          You can literally substitute that with anything thing about the weather.

          Like this ... man its pouring like cats and dogs here ... whats it like there?

          - Before you think its dumb or ineffective .... try it.
          They will tell you what the weather is - they cant help it, even secretaries ...
          and before they finish the sentence ... they are pretty relaxed
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9993127].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author John Durham
          Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post


          - Before you think its dumb or ineffective .... try it.
          They will tell you what the weather is - they cant help it, even secretaries ...
          and before they finish the sentence ... they are pretty relaxed

          It's amazing how many things you can say that you would think are dumb and cliché that actually work.


          There have been lines that I avoided for years just because I thought they were dumb and cliché... and OBVIOUS... But then I said them one day, just like the ole pro's always told me to...and BAMMO, they turned a no into a yes.


          Asking how the weather is seems so cliché that a newb might cringe at the thought asking it..., but just like you say, even when it's obvious to BOTH people that it is a cliché thing to ask...by the time they are done answering they are relaxed, and the ice really does break.


          You think it makes you sound like a salesman, and it really does.... but its amazing how many of those things that make you sound like a salesman really do work, and they are standard for a reason, and people respond IN SPITE of the fact that you both know its a canned line...For decades on end..


          One time I heard this telemarketer over and over calling people for a police charity, breaking the ice by saying "Im calling on behalf of the guys here at the precinct, don't worry, there's nothing to be alarmed about...nobody has done anything wrong... (Insert hoaky chuckle here) We are just doing our annual fundraiser that we always do... and I heard you had a money tree in your back yard... lol"


          I cringed every time he said it...


          But one day I picked up a monitor and started listening to him, and it was amazing how, as dumb as that sounded to me, people were really relieved hearing "don't worry, we aren't calling because anything is wrong, don't be alarmed..." and then they really laughed, engaged, and immediately liked him after he said the "money tree" thing...

          I always thought "If I ever said that, the person on the other end would think I was such a dumbass cliché salesman..." but it isn't true...they actually engage and relax with that kind of stuff, just like the cliché old pro's say they will.


          In any event, there are lots of things like that which may feel cliché to you, and you may think a customer would also think of them as cliché...and maybe they are to both of you, but I couldn't have said it better than Ken; somehow, in spite of the seeming "hoakiness", by the time they finish answering they are relaxed and the fact that it was hoaky goes right over both of your heads as you laugh together at how stupid it is.


          I had another guy in that same room who called for the firefighters and he would say things like "Im calling for the blah blah blah....and we are FiiiiiiRED UP about this year's fire safety fundraiser...."


          As dumb as it sounded, it shocked people right out of their previous mindset and got them on his track.


          Successful people do things that make others cringe very often. I have had a lot of success right here on the warrior forum, through posting ideas passionately like a MAD MAN, just live streaming thought without editing...and half my posts make me cringe, because I will be as hoaky as all get out in order to get my point across, and I don't care if someone thinks I am overly passionate (at that time anyway...lol).


          Ken has told me before that it's a good thing because being that guy who is unabashed works, even though it isn't "cool", a lot of times.


          Too many people are too concerned with being cool, and refuse to be different. Successful people are different though, and we all have it if we can drop our pride and humble ourself to our message.


          One more example: My brother James was set back in school and had a rep as being not real smart...later he became a very successful six figure MLM'r and took his money and invested in real estate and other things, and became more successful than ANY of my brothers.... I asked him how he found it within himself to succeed at such a hard thing...beating all the odds...?


          He said "I thought I was dumb. I thought I was so dumb that I had better just do whatever the successful old pro's told me to, and not try to think too hard about it. So I just did whatever they said I should do, and said whatever they said I should say".


          I could go on about this forever...charities aren't maybe the best example here.... anyway, Ken is right. I have been up since 3am after 3 hours of sleep. I probably shouldn't type!


          There's my two cents for the day.


          -JD


          Ps. It's just like in ad copy "discover the amazing SECRETS of Millionaires..." sounds so hoaky... you almost wouldn't want to write it...but dang it, it works, and others think it's hoaky too, from the outset...but they still get excited, buy, and respond to it! The people with the balls to use lines like that, and (forgo looking too cool) sell products, hoaky or not.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9993455].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author eccj
        Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post


        You want to do.. largely the opposite of what everyone is doing. Ask questions, listen, relax them, build rapport by demonstrating a genuine curiosity and concern for the person you are speaking with. On a call, you are their psychiatrist for the next ten to twenty minutes.
        10-20 minutes is a long phone call. Is that normal for you?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9993053].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Matthew North
          Originally Posted by eccj View Post

          10-20 minutes is a long phone call. Is that normal for you?
          If the call is going in the direction I want then it's about the average, usually it's a little longer.

          @Ken yes that makes sense mate, I used that when I first started on the phones.. and it's amazing how someone will go through the motions of answering even if they really don't want to.. even for the most introverted people. It appeals to their sense of social obligation.

          I don't say those things any more. In fact I won't say anything to a prospect that I feel is incongruent to who I am as a person. I only want to come across as ME, and maybe 30% will love me, 30% don't care, and the rest could actively dislike me, but that doesn't matter.

          If I want someone to buy, I want them to buy because of the interaction they had with ME as a person, there is zero ego or posturing involved. Is this the most effective way to make sales? Probably not. To be honest, to appeal to the low consciousness masses it would be better to get them to think of me as some kind of expert or authority in their world. I am slowly getting better at combining both ways.. but I am very laid back about my work. I don't put pressure on myself, I don't want to be some kind of recognized expert or a Master Salesman. I just want to be me.. and sales is just a way for me to express who I am.. it's the same feeling I get when I sit down to write or paint.

          People say they want to be millionaires, own huge businesses.. I was one of those hopefuls, and I was one of the few who committed to the idea for YEARS. I still did very well, learned a lot, grew in character. But the journey wasn't what I expected. I learned I valued other things more, simpler things than being obsessed with money and competence. That's just me, and I admire those who can play the long game and work at it for their entire lives.. your whole soul needs to be in your work for that to be sustainable, investing your entire life in your work. I value my time more than money, so that path was never going to work for me.. in fact my life would be a disaster if I kept pretending I was someone I'm not, because you can never get enough of something you don't want. So now I am travelling around Japan and living off the savings I had invested in my business. I want to do something incredible which truly reflects what I value about life. I don't know what that is yet, and I'm not hurried to make any commitment that would pigeonhole me into a role or avatar that I don't wish to portray. I'm mostly making my life mission up as I go along, moment to moment.
          Signature

          you cant hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9993660].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eccj
    You can take the cheezy principle thing to websites and sales in general. A lot of my buddies that generate online leads have super cheesy websites that would make a designer want to vomit..... but those cheesy websites generate more leads than the clean looking websites designers love.

    The best annuity salesman I have ever known, makes over two million a year while taking a few months off a year, is as boring and cheesy looking as they come..... but you know what? People just trust the guy. They open up to him and they open their wallets too.

    Makes me wonder about my own scripts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9993560].message }}

Trending Topics