22 replies
ALWAYS BE CLOSING


what does this famous quote mean to you?
#abc
  • Profile picture of the author Macshare
    It means movies and silliness.

    I don't care what he says, coffee is for everyone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10247915].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
    Controlling the outcomes of my social interactions. (that's got to be an Oren Klaff inspired comment but it's the first thing that came to mind)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10247916].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JayKay Dowdall
      It's a phrase that's outdated, and has little value... Much like this thread.

      OP, I've seen at least 2 threads of yours asking for people to give information and opinions about sales, objections, etc.

      Why not contribute more value to the forum by taking your wealth of knowledge (an assumption I'm making based on your username) and create a killer resource for newbs: a script that converts to book appointments, 5 common objections to digital advertising, yada yada yada

      Wouldst thou mighty God bestow thy humble peasants with a taste from thy tree of sales knowledge?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10247968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bigoil
    To me it means the product isn't any good...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10247972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

    ALWAYS BE CLOSING


    what does this famous quote mean to you?
    Hyper-aggressive nonsense that newbies use as their mantra.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10247986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
    Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

    ALWAYS BE CLOSING
    what does this famous quote mean to you?
    outdated .

    JayKay Beat me to it.
    Signature
    | > Choosing to go off the grid for a while to focus on family, work and life in general. Have a great 2020 < |
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248049].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SteHughes90
    Banned
    It means nothing, its a pointless line out of a movie about a fictional story that never happened.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Nguyen
    Just to shake things up, if you dont ABC, then you're leaving the control with the customer.

    ABC can mean to give progress to an idea, to get feedback on an email, to get a reply for a question to progress the sale.

    Its not just about closing the sale.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248447].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mak25
      ABC
      Easy as
      One, two, three
      Or simple as
      Do re mi
      ABC, one, two, three, baby, you and me girl!
      ABC
      Easy as
      One, two, three
      Or simple as
      Do re mi
      ABC, one, two, three, baby, you and me!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248517].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
        Originally Posted by mak25 View Post

        ABC
        Easy as
        One, two, three
        Or simple as
        Do re mi
        ABC, one, two, three, baby, you and me girl!
        ABC
        Easy as
        One, two, three
        Or simple as
        Do re mi
        ABC, one, two, three, baby, you and me!
        I completely agree with this^^ I think you hit the nail on the head and don't think iv seen a more compelling and thought provoking response here on warrior forum. you sir are a closer. thanks for this amazing response and I hope to be blessed enough to see one of your replies on another one of my threads someday.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10252642].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
          As for my personal belief I agree its just a old term made up in a movie back in the day however I do believe it can carry some value. my interpretation of ABC is pretty much always be leading them somewhere, leading them to the close don't get off track and always have your goal in mind. Often I see new sales people build so much rapport with a customer, talking about personal stuff and common interests that have nothing to do with the sale, that these sales people often feel like they've made a friend and are afraid to close! ABC always be closing. always be leading them to the close. talking about fishing has nothing to do with selling merchant services or whatever it is you sell. unless of course if you sell fishing gear lol. I hard close people all day long. I get to my goal and when contracts are signed then I become their friend. that's just my take on it anyway. I also believe if your not closing you can still drink coffee... it just has to be decaf.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10252653].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
            Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

            As for my personal belief I agree its just a old term made up in a movie back in the day
            Common misconception. It was around long before the movie.
            Signature
            Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
            - Jack Trout
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10252832].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mak25
          Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

          I completely agree with this^^ I think you hit the nail on the head and don't think iv seen a more compelling and thought provoking response here on warrior forum. you sir are a closer. thanks for this amazing response and I hope to be blessed enough to see one of your replies on another one of my threads someday.
          Well my friend, it's apparent you couldn't see that it was posted for a little levity, to put a smile on some faces. If you're even old enough to get the reference.

          You may see yourself as a 'salesgod', but to me my friend, you're no John Durham. Not even close.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10253321].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
            Originally Posted by mak25 View Post

            Well my friend, it's apparent you couldn't see that it was posted for a little levity, to put a smile on some faces. If you're even old enough to get the reference.

            You may see yourself as a 'salesgod', but to me my friend, you're no John Durham. Not even close.
            Thanks for the kind words sir
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10256175].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248520].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

    ALWAYS BE CLOSING


    what does this famous quote mean to you?
    It means the person saying it is trapped in the 1950s, and has no idea how to really sell.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248715].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialentry
    I believe in it.

    But it's more in the sense of always having a sense of purpose.

    In a boxing match, most punches won't connect, but ideally each one of them serves a purpose, whether its to gain a better position, feint, control the pacing,etc.

    Same as in chess, every move has to be part of an overall strategy.

    It doesn't nescessarily mean rebutt rebutt rebutt. At least not to me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248898].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

      I believe in it.

      But it's more in the sense of always having a sense of purpose.

      In a boxing match, most punches won't connect, but ideally each one of them serves a purpose, whether its to gain a better position, feint, control the pacing,etc.

      Same as in chess, every move has to be part of an overall strategy.

      It doesn't nescessarily mean rebutt rebutt rebutt. At least not to me.
      Smart. But that's not how most people interpret it.
      Most people read it as "Always be making another closing attempt". and "Asking them to buy over and over again".

      It started as a slogan to counteract the typical salesperson's lack of asking the prospect to buy...at all.

      If I wanted to interpret ABC as something useful, it would be similar to what you said. Always be aware of why you are there. Listen to what the prospect is saying. Use every exchange to help the customer connect with your offer.

      But I've seen a few presentations where the salesperson truly just kept trying to close. It was painful to watch.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248948].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        But I've seen a few presentations where the salesperson truly just kept trying to close. It was painful to watch.
        Good to see you again, Claude.

        It's painful to experience. It makes me leave.

        A few months ago I had a presentation for a new phone system from our current internet and phone provider. It was outrageously expensive and they kept trying to close. And then they were about as rude as used car salesmen can be after I said no.

        We'll be getting a new provider when the contract ends.

        Dan

        BTW - the current provider purchased our old provider and I miss the helpfulness of the employees
        who left the company. One guy would help me, by phone, with our WIFI system that they did not install. Way outside of the contract. Ditto for our email system.
        Signature

        "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10249137].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DABK
          Always be closing = ears are closed, common sense has departed, aggression's moved in, annoying experience ahead (as a consumer).

          Someone from Amway wanted to convince me to join. He was from the ABC school.

          He was trying to tell me how convenient it would be. I would not have to go to the store. I would not have to carry things.... I told him I like going to stores, touching things. Plus, I could buy in bulk, therefore, cheaper.

          He told me I would not have to go to the store. I would not have to carry things home. Plus, I would buy in bulk, therefore for less... another way.

          He was my cousin's higher up, and I wanted to help my cousin... so I put up with it. But, man, it was annoying.

          After a while, I told him: not touching things, not going to the store, buying in bulk don't work for me. What else do you have?

          He had nothing. But tried one more time to sell me on how good my life would be if I didn't have to go to the store, carry things, not buy in bulk.

          So, I said, This is not working. Good-bye.

          So, he said, But think how great life would be if you didn't have to go to the store.... In yet another way.

          I think people who're Constantly Selling have a very narrow/wrong understanding of what they're doing, just like the Amway guy I mentioned.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10252053].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
            Originally Posted by DABK View Post

            Always be closing = ears are closed, common sense has departed, aggression's moved in, annoying experience ahead (as a consumer).

            Someone from Amway wanted to convince me to join. He was from the ABC school.

            He was trying to tell me how convenient it would be. I would not have to go to the store. I would not have to carry things.... I told him I like going to stores, touching things. Plus, I could buy in bulk, therefore, cheaper.

            He told me I would not have to go to the store. I would not have to carry things home. Plus, I would buy in bulk, therefore for less... another way.

            He was my cousin's higher up, and I wanted to help my cousin... so I put up with it. But, man, it was annoying.

            After a while, I told him: not touching things, not going to the store, buying in bulk don't work for me. What else do you have?

            He had nothing. But tried one more time to sell me on how good my life would be if I didn't have to go to the store, carry things, not buy in bulk.

            So, I said, This is not working. Good-bye.

            So, he said, But think how great life would be if you didn't have to go to the store.... In yet another way.

            I think people who're Constantly Selling have a very narrow/wrong understanding of what they're doing, just like the Amway guy I mentioned.
            sounds like a pretty amateur salesman
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10252639].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author DABK
              That's why I used him as an example. More sophisticated ones miss the point... in a more sophisticated way.

              Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

              sounds like a pretty amateur salesman
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10253487].message }}

Trending Topics