Coldcalling to sell mats?

20 replies
Hi everyone
a few weeks ago i got into the mats business
im trying to sell welcome mats with the business logo
i have my provider ready to take orders
but my question is, is it Coldcalling a good option to sell mats? i mean, maybe they'll not be interested since they cannot see the mats im talking about

Really really want to start selling some mats, i created my website and im doing SEO to target my city

This coldcalling could be the first step to getting clients, why do you think?
would you be interested on a mat for your business? could you be interested on any way with a little pitch over the phone?

I just want to get my foot on the door and star visiting prospects

CHeers
#coldcalling #mats #sell
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by watsonovedades View Post

    maybe they'll not be interested since they cannot see the mats im talking about

    Easy, do a mat mockup with the business name/logo in photoshop.

    Example:



    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10726374].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
    Whaddaya know... heated mats!

    Just plug that sucker in and warm yer feets

    Get them customers - while they're HOT.

    https://www.matsmatsmats.com/commerc...strial/heated/

    No more c-c-c-cold calling!!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10726678].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Nguyen
    Anything can nearly work if you make enough calls, try it and see how you get on.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727014].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Can I interject here and say I wonder if this is the best product the OP could be offering?

    I mean, what's the upsell? Where the money? Can mats support the lifestyle you want?

    If you're able to sell a ton to, say, a hotel chain that puts them outside every room, then all right, I could see it working. Maybe. But I wouldn't get into this without complimentary upsells to offer as well.

    I honestly can't think of anything more boring than mats.

    Can this be exciting? I realize that what is boring for me could be thrilling for someone else; however, it's a fact that if you aren't excited about what you're offering, chances of success are really low.

    OP, I would reconsider your business model. What will you sell to someone who buys a mat off you? More mats? Probably not. So what else?

    Can you sell enough mats at enough speed to meet your financial needs?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727067].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author watsonovedades
      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      Can I interject here and say I wonder if this is the best product the OP could be offering?

      I mean, what's the upsell? Where the money? Can mats support the lifestyle you want?

      If you're able to sell a ton to, say, a hotel chain that puts them outside every room, then all right, I could see it working. Maybe. But I wouldn't get into this without complimentary upsells to offer as well.

      I honestly can't think of anything more boring than mats.

      Can this be exciting? I realize that what is boring for me could be thrilling for someone else; however, it's a fact that if you aren't excited about what you're offering, chances of success are really low.

      OP, I would reconsider your business model. What will you sell to someone who buys a mat off you? More mats? Probably not. So what else?

      Can you sell enough mats at enough speed to meet your financial needs?
      Thanks for the input
      you're right mats are NOT trhilling and most deff i dont feel passionate about it
      but i work like a mofo and get my numbers right, i neeed this money

      Ihave an unlce who is ding the same thing with moderated succes, he decided to work full time on selling mats, he says hes doing really good

      About the upsell i cannot think on a good one really
      maybe i could offer web design service? since im a web developer aswell
      maybe de mats could help to get my foot on the door and upsell websites for business?

      Thanks for your time
      Signature
      Whatever your mind can conceive and BELIEVE you can achieve
      Follow me on Twitter - @DineroConPc
      I talk about Affiliate Marketing Methods
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727468].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Robscom
        Originally Posted by watsonovedades View Post

        maybe i could offer web design service? since im a web developer aswell
        maybe de mats could help to get my foot on the door and upsell websites for business?

        Thanks for your time
        I am NOT trying to be snarky or rude, but...

        ...how are you going to make the transition from mat salesman to selling web design? They will view you as a mat salesman.

        I don't think your positioning will be very good for a follow up of web design.
        Signature
        "Do. Or do not. There is no 'try.'" -- Yoda
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727490].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yukon
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Robscom View Post

          I am NOT trying to be snarky or rude, but...

          ...how are you going to make the transition from mat salesman to selling web design? They will view you as a mat salesman.

          I don't think your positioning will be very good for a follow up of web design.


          I don't think it's an issue. If someone can sell a custom door mat they're probably pretty good at sales in general.

          I know a lot of businesses use local commercial cleaners to supply clean door mats weekly/monthly so there's obviously an established niche. I bet business/sales is better the further north you go (US) considering snow/salt that's tracked into retail, stores, etc... during the winter.

          OP should consider selling the weekly/monthly mat cleaning service as an upsell.

          Anyways, a website can have a mockup done in Photoshop just like the door mat example to show a client what you have to sell. Images help sell products/services.
          Signature
          Hi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727509].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ElmerDSalazar
          Originally Posted by Robscom View Post

          I am NOT trying to be snarky or rude, but...

          ...how are you going to make the transition from mat salesman to selling web design? They will view you as a mat salesman.

          I don't think your positioning will be very good for a follow up of web design.
          He can position himself as a branding expert and sell a lot of stuff with logos on it, think VistaPrint.

          OP, I used to work for a company called Cintas (I think they operate in Mexico as well). Any way, they would sell these mats to companies for about $200. You can also sell unbranded logos and tell them that they keep their floors cleaner. If you want to upsell them, offer them a regular wash service.

          I cant imagine you will have a lot of success with smaller mom and pop shops but larger "empresas" would be interested.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10728993].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author watsonovedades
            Originally Posted by ElmerDSalazar View Post

            He can position himself as a branding . If you want to upsell them, offer them a regular wash service.
            YES! very good idea, i can get myself a mat cleaner and upsell wasing service to every client, maybe get their email and create a newsletter with coupons and promotions? OMG i love ths shit
            Signature
            Whatever your mind can conceive and BELIEVE you can achieve
            Follow me on Twitter - @DineroConPc
            I talk about Affiliate Marketing Methods
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10729084].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Luke Dennison
              Originally Posted by watsonovedades View Post

              YES! very good idea, i can get myself a mat cleaner and upsell wasing service to every client, maybe get their email and create a newsletter with coupons and promotions? OMG i love ths shit
              As well as that you could upsell them a door mat for every door in the business.

              And if they have a canteen why not throw in some beer mats as a kinda unannounced bonus they would be sure to recommend you to their friends.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10732724].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sujata Mondal
        Probably you should create services like home cleaning etc
        Signature

        I web developer and SEO

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10728389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
    Of most silly things I have seen here over many years, this one I like a little, sure you may not make a squillion, but these things if good quality at a good price would be very easy to sell going door to door with business.

    As suggested grab the company's logo and do a screen mock up and hit the pavement door to door, a pretty cool idea, and as for selling up or what ever, I think every mat would need to be renewed approx every 12 months any way for them to look clean and crisp.

    Now think along the lines of training reps to do your leg work on a commission, then set a up live training maybe Skype and then set about adding new cities to your beat, keep records of who is to be renewed and who has been where etc, it could generate a few dollars for you.

    There would be nothing stopping you then adding a flyer / postcard to every mat being delivered offering your alternate online services if you wanted.

    Good luck with it.
    Signature
    | > Choosing to go off the grid for a while to focus on family, work and life in general. Have a great 2020 < |
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10728503].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by tryinhere View Post

      Of most silly things I have seen here over many years, this one I like a little, sure you may not make a squillion, but these things if good quality at a good price would be very easy to sell going door to door with business.

      As suggested grab the company's logo and do a screen mock up and hit the pavement door to door, a pretty cool idea, and as for selling up or what ever, I think every mat would need to be renewed approx every 12 months any way for them to look clean and crisp.

      Now think along the lines of training reps to do your leg work on a commission, then set a up live training maybe Skype and then set about adding new cities to your beat, keep records of who is to be renewed and who has been where etc, it could generate a few dollars for you.

      There would be nothing stopping you then adding a flyer / postcard to every mat being delivered offering your alternate online services if you wanted.

      Good luck with it.

      Great idea on expanding to multiple cities.

      Adding to that idea, I'm sure Craigslist would be a good way to find people to do sales in multiple cities. That way there's no hiring expense so If someone doesn't work out in another city just post the CL sales job ad again as needed.

      Like you said, there would need to be some type of lead tracking involved. Maybe even outsource a simple custom phone app that involves GPS coordinates and business lead details (ex: business name, owner name, hours open, address, etc...) let the sales guy fill in the app details.
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10728974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author umc
    Once you sell the mats you could partner with someone that cleans them and get a cut of their services. I'm pretty sure it would primarily be high traffic businesses that get them cleaned, not your average small office, but it's something.
    Signature

    Simple "pay what you want" life coaching services online.
    Get out of your own way in business. It's personal. Click Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10728516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seodeveloping
    I absolutely cannot stand cold calling. I get a dozen calls a day from people looking for me to invest my money, businesses wanting me to contract for supplies or services, it drives me nuts!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10729008].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by seodeveloping View Post

      I absolutely cannot stand cold calling. I get a dozen calls a day from people looking for me to invest my money, businesses wanting me to contract for supplies or services, it drives me nuts!
      I agree, but something as simple as door mats at a business entrance is needed. Believe me, businesses pay for door mats, especially outsourcing the commercial mat cleaning.

      I know Cintas is a local authority in the niche.
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10729071].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Riddle
    Let the chamber of commerce or a similar community organizations sell the mats for you as a fund raising event for their cause.

    You'll be introduced as the go to person for mats AND other specialty items. ( advertising specialties) is an excellent introduction to promotional products and services.

    I once was involved in a business that featured post cards and brochures, not exactly what the guru's would tell you to choose.

    Here's the key...
    You'll be able to ask business owners what kind of promotion they are considering or may be interested in.

    Help them do a joint venture with other local or regional business.
    Signature
    Today isn't Yesterday, - Products are everywhere if your eyes are Tuned!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10733490].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tmachado
    You can purchase this mockup and place the logo on the mat via photoshop.
    Floor Mat Mockup | GraphicRiver

    The whole process takes less than 1 minute to do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743452].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    It's a lot like the line : It's the worst of times, it's the best of times.

    It sounds so silly but then you think -- okay it is a good field.

    Okay so some ideas I have : avoid cold calling ; I doubt people would understand it very much. It's a specific niche after all. It's like a medicine rep ; can't talk about the new sleeping pill over the fun ; they need to offer candy , coffee and present themselves as professionals while actively promoting the drug.

    Next make a handful generic ones. Such as Welcome , Thank you for coming , Happy Holidays. ETC. Show your workmenship.

    YOU NEED AN UPSALE FACTOR.

    That is a must ; no matter how small your product is there must be something bigger and shiner to add to it.

    Maybe banners? Maybe t-shirts? Maybe pens? Something that aids in the customizing factor , provides a way to market the company in the best way possible.

    I know some people sale neon open lights and include a welcome mat... maybe that would work?

    I don't think cold calling would work sadly. But I do hope my notes add something to your project.

    Keep moving forward
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743960].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbishop
    promotional items are a good fit. IF you put their logo on a floor mat, why not pens, cups note pads. there are promotional companies that whole sale

    and the cleaning service would be great. sell them 2 mats and switch them out once a week. take all the dirty ones home to clean during the week.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757059].message }}

Trending Topics