Radio Commercial I Heard Today

12 replies
I heard this today and it caught my attention. I was curious until I slowed down and thought about what they were doing. It had to do with some sort of healthy eating diet/supplements.

"Call now and start receiving auto-generated technology directly to your phone with additional information! Opt out at anytime!"

In other words, they set you up on their text auto-responder until you reply STOP and opt out...

But the way they worded it caught my attention for a split second. I was curious..

Then I realized what it meant and sort of laughed. It reminded me of the old Claude Hopkins Schlitz beer ad where he describes how the beer is made and purified - the same as every other beer - but by describing it in detail makes it seem like a special process only Schlitz performed.

And for the record, I did not call. But I still like their creativity.
#commercial #heard #radio #today
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    Originally Posted by StevenTylerPjs View Post

    "Call now and start receiving auto-generated technology directly to your phone with additional information! Opt out at anytime!"

    In other words, Spam!

    I agree with you that it is a unique way of getting people to sign up
    to a newsletter/autoresponder sequence. Advertising that they are
    subscribing to an autoresponder and that they will be on your list
    would seem rather mundane.

    Auto-generated technology sounds so much more interesting.

    I wonder if it worked to get more sign-ups.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672216].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      It's not spam if you sign up for it, though!


      Originally Posted by Monetize View Post

      In other words, Spam!

      I agree with you that it is a unique way of getting people to sign up
      to a newsletter/autoresponder sequence. Advertising that they are
      subscribing to an autoresponder and that they will be on your list
      would seem rather mundane.

      Auto-generated technology sounds so much more interesting.

      I wonder if it worked to get more sign-ups.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672335].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author animal44
    Originally Posted by StevenTylerPjs View Post

    And for the record, I did not call. But I still like their creativity.
    Perhaps you should have. If only to find out more about their strategy.

    I'd be surprised if it was a success. But then it depends on what they define as "success".
    Signature

    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    What I do for a living

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672226].message }}
  • What Hopkins did, implied premium, care, taste, difference, etc. He was talking about the process that created the beer. The beer. You know, the 'thing' he was selling?

    What does 'auto generated technology' have to say about the diet pills? What does it have to say about anything? Does it not make the process seem more complicated than it needs to be? If they were afraid people wouldn't sign up, they should have worked on the offer.

    Just another example of human echo dots trying too hard to be clever.
    Signature
    Strong Men and Women put themselves in harms way
    for the freedoms weak people give away for safety
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672235].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Declan O Flaherty View Post

      Does it not make the process seem more complicated than it needs to be?

      Just another example of human echo dots trying too hard to be clever.
      That was my first thought. It sounded complicated. And unless someone completely understands what you are proposing...the answer will always be "No".

      And yes, Clever for the sake of clever is a major reason ads fail.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672242].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by Declan O Flaherty View Post

      What Hopkins did, implied premium, care, taste, difference, etc. He was talking about the process that created the beer. The beer. You know, the 'thing' he was selling?

      What does 'auto generated technology' have to say about the diet pills? What does it have to say about anything? Does it not make the process seem more complicated than it needs to be? If they were afraid people wouldn't sign up, they should have worked on the offer.

      Just another example of human echo dots trying too hard to be clever.
      again 3 options.. and the least complicated is ding ding ding the use of 'auto generated technology'.

      Remember we are talking about a diet pill here... the need for a diet generally stems from lack of self motivation and laziness - woulda coulda shoulda - oh never mind ill just take a pill

      And then lets maybe just touch a moment on the tech tracking side of this campaign... they will know in close proximity to which time the ad played got the most response. A lot of the syndicated shows are played at 10am local time so in the States there will be 4 differnt times the show would play, meaning you would have data on which times zones are better. You then have tracking data from any link you might send in a text to move the "Auto Generated Tech" along in the selling process... it will know you visited link #2 and come back with more specific information..

      Overall this is what I would consider a very solid sales funnel... a clearly defined in that is trackable. And once they are on the system would move as the prospect moves. The text sequence would change. Information provided would be within a context. Its a dream funnel really
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672692].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Just another example of human echo dots trying too hard to be clever.

    There is a lot of that going around.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
    ***
    One secret to happiness is to let every situation be
    what it is instead of what you think it should be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672236].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Out of context, the line sounds like a parody. Can't imagine anyone listening is thinking to themselves "Oh yeah - must go get me some of that auto-generated technology!"

    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672237].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

      Out of context, the line sounds like a parody. Can't imagine anyone listening is thinking to themselves "Oh yeah - must go get me some of that auto-generated technology!"

      We can say this... BUT go read the main board here ( WF ) how do I automate this or that or the other? is all over the place. Its the new NORMAL. People have been conditioned to be uh hmm "lazy" for the lack of a better term.. Uh wine wimper I have to call someone? They cant remember what they did 10 minutes ago let alone remember a website address, and without even a thought they will grab the phone and text "Count me in" to 6262628 all day long.
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StevenTylerPjs
    Exactly, and for me, it did fail. And as far as "the thing they're selling", it's a brand new never-been-thought-of-before diet with this great new company even offering new technology directly to your phone!

    I'm extremely fit, have competed, and very health conscious. So the commercial grabbed one my main interests. But anybody who's worked out and takes eating healthy seriously, knows that there are no new diets - just new trendy names.

    Not sure how many sign-ups theyll get. But somebody still looking for that perfect magic solution to easily lose weight? I think their little gimmick would only help.

    And for the record, there was a little more information about the diet on the commercial. I was just mentioning their little wordplay on the texts (as somebody else said, SPAM).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672259].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by StevenTylerPjs View Post

      Exactly, and for me, it did fail. And as far as "the thing they're selling", it's a brand new never-been-thought-of-before diet with this great new company even offering new technology directly to your phone!

      I'm extremely fit, have competed, and very health conscious. So the commercial grabbed one my main interests. But anybody who's worked out and takes eating healthy seriously, knows that there are no new diets - just new trendy names.

      Not sure how many sign-ups theyll get. But somebody still looking for that perfect magic solution to easily lose weight? I think their little gimmick would only help.

      And for the record, there was a little more information about the diet on the commercial. I was just mentioning their little wordplay on the texts (as somebody else said, SPAM).
      There is a bit more to this... #1 the Ad DID WORK... The ad is designed to segment the market, you are fit and not in need of a diet.. you would not respond.. YOU are not their perfect customer - hence the ad worked.

      A lot of the success to something like this has to do with the audience that receives it.. so I am going to assume you were probably iistening to a syndicated radio show of some type and the general demographic of said subject, you excluded, is going to have a majority that are Over Weight.

      For the record.. SPAM is sent without consent... with Consent it becomes legal advertising. For all we know along with the pitch for the item you could get a text everyday with a positive message towards a better you ( we could hope this is what happens )

      I am going to say that Ad probably does pretty well - might even venture to think that maybe even better than pretty well. In terms of a radio ad there is generally 3 approaches of contact. A) call now, B) text now or C) visit www. Text now is the most benign of the bunch. IE the least amount of friction. Your interested... but you dont want to call and get pitched to, you dont want get on some website.. you just want a text with further information.

      People they are targeting... texting is NORMAL to them - annoying to us old folks... but NORMAL for the 20 and 30 somethings. So before we bash an ad as wont work... Maybe we need to see it for what it is and the Ad DID WORK, and it has by design removed you from the optimal buyer selection process.
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bella zanny
    Auto-generated technology will have your imaginations running wild. Not knowing it's only auto-text responder.... Lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672415].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics