How To Close Prospects on a Free Coaching Strategy Session?

16 replies
How to close prospects on a free coaching strategy session?

I'm eagerly wanting to launch my coaching business. After taking coaching business niche quizzes revealing I fit well as a business coach/visionary mentor. Im leaning more towards the startup coach/marketing coach.

So my plan is to post in revelant FB groups, I'm giving a free strategy session to offer business/coaching advice to assist individuals who are looking to get clarity to reach a specific result. Find out what people really need help with?

I'm curious how should I start it off? But more importantly, how should i close clients at the end of the strategy session, I was thinking of having one 3 month package.

My ultimate end goal is to do enough 1 on 1s to really learn my niche then graduate to a group coach structure with a private fb group building my tribe.

I've read over 300 books, had two life coaches2020-2021 and a real estate coach going on 11 months now. My background, i've had a freelance agency since 2017, a real estate company 2019 first solo now with a virtual staff(got plans on creating a course for that later on then doing jv with students)
skills: building a team, outsourcing, delegation, goal setting, leadership, and a few IM skills. Also mentored a handful of people friends and family, people hit me up for marketing advice from time to time too.

What have you seen that worked for general business coaching prospects to closing for beginners?
#close #coaching #free #free session #prospects #session #strategy
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Best to ask this question in the Offline subforum, where real sales professionials hang out.

    Your marketing up front can do quite a bit of the qualifying, or filtering for the right people. However, the more complicated or lengthy you make the process the less likely individuals are to complete it. Basically, if I know my house is on fire and I want to save it from burning, my willingness to give the fire department complete info about me goes way up. The less I care, the less involved I'll get. You can use this as a qualifier, too.

    You need a consistent sales process. In a strategy session you must legitimately give them a strategy they could work on by themselves; otherwise, it's a scam. But if they want help implementing it...you could save them a ton of time...keep them on track...minimize their errors...and/or other benefits...then here you are with a program.

    The usual way is to have a couple different levels of support. One at a lower investment and with less personal or 1:1 coaching, the second being more expensive and giving a higher level of intensive, personalized help. Offer the higher one first then downsell if they can't afford it.

    Selling is a skill and it takes a long time and a lot of practice to learn. You have to uncover reasons why this individual would buy, not just list the features and benefits of your offer. (You could do this, and find accidental match-ups between the two, but you'll leave a lot of money on the table and not help people who should be helped by your paid programs). If you know how to sell from your agency experience, then you can apply what you learned here.

    Make sure people understand why they're getting on the call. They should receive real help, and they should not feel ambushed with a paid program offer at the end. They should not need your help to move forward.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
    Jason was right about finding pros in the off line section of forum. But before you ask their opinion, can you clarify who it is you want to coach?

    Can you help me understand what a "general business coaching prospect" is??

    Are you looking for those with no business experience and think they want to start a business? If so, what kind of a business, any? I'm just having trouble understanding what you will be offering and to whom...any help with this would be appreciated.

    GordonJ

    Originally Posted by JeffDC89 View Post

    How to close prospects on a free coaching strategy session?

    I'm eagerly wanting to launch my coaching business. After taking coaching business niche quizzes revealing I fit well as a business coach/visionary mentor. Im leaning more towards the startup coach/marketing coach.

    So my plan is to post in revelant FB groups, I'm giving a free strategy session to offer business/coaching advice to assist individuals who are looking to get clarity to reach a specific result. Find out what people really need help with?

    I'm curious how should I start it off? But more importantly, how should i close clients at the end of the strategy session, I was thinking of having one 3 month package.

    My ultimate end goal is to do enough 1 on 1s to really learn my niche then graduate to a group coach structure with a private fb group building my tribe.

    I've read over 300 books, had two life coaches2020-2021 and a real estate coach going on 11 months now. My background, i've had a freelance agency since 2017, a real estate company 2019 first solo now with a virtual staff(got plans on creating a course for that later on then doing jv with students)
    skills: building a team, outsourcing, delegation, goal setting, leadership, and a few IM skills. Also mentored a handful of people friends and family, people hit me up for marketing advice from time to time too.

    What have you seen that worked for general business coaching prospects to closing for beginners?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769381].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JeffDC89
      Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

      Jason was right about finding pros in the off line section of forum. But before you ask their opinion, can you clarify who it is you want to coach?

      Can you help me understand what a "general business coaching prospect" is??

      Are you looking for those with no business experience and think they want to start a business? If so, what kind of a business, any? I'm just having trouble understanding what you will be offering and to whom...any help with this would be appreciated.

      GordonJ
      My idea was to cast a wide net and see what sticks first for example people who have a business already but hit a plateau maybe need a better marketing strategy, people who need help hiring the right team members for different roles. And people with cash that can't get started with their business idea and maybe need motivation and accountability

      Business sub-niches I've had experience helping people with
      Get More Clients or Customers niche:
      Teaching them various marketing techniques online and offline that got them results. I helped a personal trainer get more clients, a realtor, a new real estate investor, a YouTuber with finding the right freelancers

      Scale Your Business niche:
      I helped a moving company scale up

      Start and build a business niche:
      And helped quite a few people go from employee to starting and building a business so they could quit their job
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769410].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    Originally Posted by JeffDC89 View Post

    How to close prospects on a free coaching strategy session?

    I'm eagerly wanting to launch my coaching business. After taking coaching business niche quizzes revealing I fit well as a business coach/visionary mentor. Im leaning more towards the startup coach/marketing coach.

    So my plan is to post in revelant FB groups, I'm giving a free strategy session to offer business/coaching advice to assist individuals who are looking to get clarity to reach a specific result. Find out what people really need help with?

    I'm curious how should I start it off? But more importantly, how should i close clients at the end of the strategy session, I was thinking of having one 3 month package.

    My ultimate end goal is to do enough 1 on 1s to really learn my niche then graduate to a group coach structure with a private fb group building my tribe.

    I've read over 300 books, had two life coaches2020-2021 and a real estate coach going on 11 months now. My background, i've had a freelance agency since 2017, a real estate company 2019 first solo now with a virtual staff(got plans on creating a course for that later on then doing jv with students)
    skills: building a team, outsourcing, delegation, goal setting, leadership, and a few IM skills. Also mentored a handful of people friends and family, people hit me up for marketing advice from time to time too.

    What have you seen that worked for general business coaching prospects to closing for beginners?


    Based on this post and a couple of your previous ones,
    you seem to be all over the place.

    That is fine but at some point you need to decide on
    something to focus your attention.

    You say that you have read 300 books but you don't
    know how to close the sale?

    There are several ways to close a sale depending on
    the situation. Find the method that applies to yours.

    I would avoid any type of free coaching sessions.

    Charge people a fee, even if it's just $24.99 because
    it is easier to close a bigger sale with someone who
    has already paid you.

    Freebie and curiosity seekers could just be wasting
    everybody's time and they are not even worth being
    bothered with.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769441].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JeffDC89
      Originally Posted by Monetize View Post

      Based on this post and a couple of your previous ones,
      you seem to be all over the place.

      That is fine but at some point you need to decide on
      something to focus your attention.

      You say that you have read 300 books but you don't
      know how to close the sale?

      There are several ways to close a sale depending on
      the situation. Find the method that applies to yours.

      I would avoid any type of free coaching sessions.

      Charge people a fee, even if it's just $24.99 because
      it is easier to close a bigger sale with someone who
      has already paid you.

      Freebie and curiosity seekers could just be wasting
      everybody's time and they are not even worth being
      bothered with.
      Thanks for pointing that out I've been all over the place past couple posts that's true, I guess I grew bored of my freelance agency I closed every client I've gotten but most are usually referral based so it's not really much closing needed but looking back I do have an consistent sales process I take them through for each client that comes through the door.

      I decided after much pondering to focus my attention on coaching but I guess I wasn't honed in on my exact coaching niche since I never really sold coaching before as a service and I heard on a webinar free strategy sessions was a quick way to get your feet wet when starting out if you don't have much content marketing out there yet

      But the idea of freebie seekers doesn't sound fun at all. My homework for today is to study a consistent sales process for my coaching service.

      Thanks everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769465].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Monetize
        Originally Posted by JeffDC89 View Post

        Thanks for pointing that out I've been all over the place past couple posts that's true, I guess I grew bored of my freelance agency I closed every client I've gotten but most are usually referral based so it's not really much closing needed but looking back I do have an consistent sales process I take them through for each client that comes through the door.

        I decided after much pondering to focus my attention on coaching but I guess I wasn't honed in on my exact coaching niche since I never really sold coaching before as a service and I heard on a webinar free strategy sessions was a quick way to get your feet wet when starting out if you don't have much content marketing out there yet

        But the idea of freebie seekers doesn't sound fun at all. My homework for today is to study a consistent sales process for my coaching service.

        Thanks everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it


        Are you using ChatGPT, or another A.I., yet?

        It has helped me so much with things like writing product
        descriptions as well as developing long-form content.

        It can create plans and instructions for EVERYTHING.

        It will help you develop your sales process.

        I highly recommend it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769481].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JeffDC89
          Originally Posted by Monetize View Post

          Are you using ChatGPT, or another A.I., yet?

          It has helped me so much with things like writing product
          descriptions as well as developing long-form content.

          It can create plans and instructions for EVERYTHING.

          It will help you develop your sales process.

          I highly recommend it.
          Funny you mentioned chatgpt, while studying the sales process today I took notes on 4 of Jason's sales process videos. It dawned on me that I could load chatgpt up with some sales prompts and sorts that I have in a few prompt packs I bought awhile back. Will definitely use to develop my sales process

          Yes I used chatgpt a lot over the past 6mths even as my life coach, business plans, templates and chrome extension layouts. Thanks for reminding me
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769556].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
        Originally Posted by JeffDC89 View Post

        How to close prospects on a free coaching strategy session?

        ... had two life coaches2020-2021 and a real estate coach going on 11 months now.
        Originally Posted by JeffDC89 View Post

        Thanks for pointing that out I've been all over the place past couple posts that's true,
        My homework for today is to study a consistent sales process for my coaching service.
        Thanks everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it
        So, you want to be a coach and you want to close prospects...how did your coaches close you?

        You've had 3 coaches, where did you intersect with them? What made you choose them? It seems you have used the "template" you are seeking? Why not just do what your coaches did to hook you in?

        It feels like you need to give this whole idea some more thought and get a better focus, does it not? Good luck.

        GordonJ
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769484].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Maybe free strategy sessions isn't the way to go.

    Tom Poland has a system he uses to sell his service that starts with a webinar, and you are then directed to a page where you can sign in for a short session with Tom.

    The difference is, it's a session to determine if he is the right Guru, not to render advice for free.

    You can check it out here;

    https://www.leadsology.guru/book-a-chat-with-tom/

    Nearly everyone that books a chat buys.
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

    What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11769512].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aduttonater
    In terms of who to coach. I usually coach those who can afford my rates. Secondly I want them to apply what I show them. Usually coaching can be recurring if the mentee needs more guidance and can invest the time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11770972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by JeffDC89 View Post

    How to close prospects on a free coaching strategy session?
    I'm still not sure I understand.

    Do you want to know how to close them on getting a free coaching session?
    Or are you asking how to close them during the session, on your package?
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

    What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11772031].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JeffDC89
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      I'm still not sure I understand.

      Do you want to know how to close them on getting a free coaching session?
      Or are you asking how to close them during the session, on your package?
      Close them during the session
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11772147].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by JeffDC89 View Post

        Close them during the session
        Here are the questions I get from people actually closing sales on these calls.

        Describe your current situation.
        What is your desired situation? Where do you want to be?
        What do you feel is holding you back? What problems are you experiencing?
        What have you already tried doing to solve your problem?
        Why is now the time to solve this problem?




        Then the actual close....
        Why do you feel my methodology will work for you?
        Are you looking to get help now or later?
        Are you able to invest in getting a solution now?



        And one I use myself, if they ask several questions, or you start to lose them...

        "I only want to work with people that are going to be happy with our training. I only want to work with people that are so certain they want what I offer, that they cannot wait to get started. Tell me, is that you?"


        Now, they aren't going to say usually that "Yes, I'm that guy". But what they say next will tell you if they are getting closer to buying or getting away.

        And please, don't sell it as a free coaching session. You'll end up with lots of people taking your time, trying to avoid paying you anything.

        Call it an "Evaluation session" or something similar. You want them getting on the phone (or on video) for the sole purpose of finding out if they are a fit for your program. Tell them the cost before they book the call.

        If you don't, you'll end up closing...and making follow ups after follow ups. A living hell.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11772242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Princess Balestra
    What if I were to wondah ...

    'steada CLOSIN' we gaht OPENIN' OUT an' PROPULSIN' SUM ...

    Bcs in an indelicately yieldin' Caaahsmaas, zero is forevah purest filth.

    2 ways to go here:

    1) Princess been devoured half to death by UNSEEMLY SPACE GNATS, an' clearly AIN'T TO BE TRUSSEDED!

    2) Message Moi for muh SPACE GNAT *whatevah* PROGUERAM bcs you seen this, an' the guy sellin' trainable rodents ain't here no more, an' you lack all powahs of Yogic stillness, or there ain't no kinda THOID optschwaahn drivin' you spazzmobrainomeedjit.

    Yeah, so diss them rivals clean without appearin' like no vampire flappah gal.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11772138].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aduttonater
    I usually offer value until they ask how much it is. Now we are moving towards a sale. Every person is different. You can ask them how much can you afford? What do you think it's worth to you? Or just tell them your prices if you are clear on what it is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11772361].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by aduttonater View Post

      You can ask them how much can you afford? What do you think it's worth to you?.
      Have you ever asked those questions?

      Asking them how much they can afford is certain death in selling. They have no idea how much your offer is, and once they say "I can afford $100" and your offer is $5,000...you're done.

      "What do you think it's worth to you?" is about as suicidal. They have no context, no way to know what's reasonable or expected. If they say "Let's see. I read a book on this subject, and that book cost $20....So I guess about $30. Am I right?"...where do you go from there?

      The sooner you get the price out there, the easier it will be to sell.
      Once they know the price, it's a matter of showing them more value than the cost. And it gives them time to allow "sticker shock" to lessen its impact.

      Give them a little math to do. Let them come to the cost of the problem on their own (with prompting from you). Then you can say "You tell me that you'll save $50,000 if we can solve this problem, am I right?"

      "And how much is $50,000 worth to you?" . In business, you are selling money at a discount.

      If you show a certain, demonstratable $100,000 savings, or profit...just based on their figures....if they implement your program... a $5,000 or $20,000 sale is easy.

      Why? Because now they have something to compare the cost to.

      And always use the prospect's figures when letting them do math. Then they cannot doubt the figures, and cannot argue with the value.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11772372].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics