Upsold Client From $997/month to $2,500/month recurring! Here's how.

28 replies
Hey,

I've just upsold one of my newer clients (DIU Lawyer) from $997/month to $2,500/month.

Here is the situation.

He signed up with me 2 weeks before Google made the recent changes in local search, regarding Google Places. As you know, in most local areas and especially in competitive niches, the Google Places listings are now merged with the Website rankings.

All of my clients, except this one, now have even better rankings in Google thanks to the recent changes, and that's because I had the SEO in place, they all were ranking very well for their keywords organically.

I love the recent changes because we now have the possibility to charge more and clients basically have to get their SEO right, if not, they won't stand a chance against competitors that have their Google Places listing AND their SEO optimized.

Anyway, this client had no listing in the 7pack and 48hours after I finished optimizing his listing he was in the 7pack, second position - and I got him to sign up for the yellow tag. He was quite impressed and very happy to say the least.

Unfortunately, he had no SEO in place whatsover. His webiste had like 2 backlinks, it wasn't optimized for any keywords and nowhere to be found, so I got started with his SEO optimization.

One or two weeks later, Google implemented the new changes and while all my other clients improved their rankings, he dropped from the second position to the last position immediately for the main keyword, and he disappeared from the first page for secondary keywords.

I explained the changes to him, made clear to him how important SEO is now and also explained to him that his listing might disappear very soon without some serious SEO. He began to ask me how we can ensure that his listing will come back to the top, how much that would cost, and so forth.

I told him the prices for a massive SEO campaign and he agreed to do it. He knew that I know what I'm talking about because I got him amazing results in a very short amount of time.

He's so motivated now that he wants me to do the same for 2 other sites that he has.

That's how I upsold my client from 1k to 2,5k/month.

I just wanted to share my experience - you might have some clients that lost rankings because of the changes and now is a great time to sell additional SEO packages to old or new clients.

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

All the best,
Mario Brown
#$997 or month #500 or month #client #recurring #upsold
  • Very nice Mario! Good job upselling them for the extra SEO work instead of just trying to do the work for the previous agreed amount. Extra work needs extra pay.

    Looking forward to the new Google Places Unleashed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2868221].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jsherloc
    Sweet! I like how you stressed the "education" aspect in the beginning of the Places changes with your client, rather than just saying "you need this". I find the same thing, that educating them and making them UNDERSTAND the "why", they have even more trust in you and the checks come in. Though Google Places still makes me way paranoid and nervous....

    So, looking forward to your take on Places come December!

    - Jim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2868259].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mario Brown
      Hey Jim,

      Yes I love education based selling, it works like a charm and brands you as the expert, you basically give value first in from of education and it's so much easier later on to get the client to sign up.

      The book 'The Ultimate Sales Machine' is what I recommend for starters, there are some truly golden nuggets in there, especially for people that are starting out.

      Cheers,
      Mario
      Signature

      ‎"Success is waking up in the morning, whoever you are, however old or young, and bounding out of bed because there's something out there that you love to do, that you believe in, that you're good at -- something that's bigger than you are, and you can't hardly wait to get at it again today." Whit Hobbs

      Visit My Website: http://www.mariobrown.net/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2868273].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
        Great Job Mario!

        Education based selling truly sets you as an authority in your prospects eyes, and makes it much easier to close the deal with that time comes.

        Keep up the good work!

        Originally Posted by Mario Brown View Post

        Hey Jim,

        Yes I love education based selling, it works like a charm and brands you as the expert, you basically give value first in from of education and it's so much easier later on to get the client to sign up.

        The book 'The Ultimate Sales Machine' is what I recommend for starters, there are some truly golden nuggets in there, especially for people that are starting out.

        Cheers,
        Mario
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2868307].message }}
      • Hey Mario

        Yep we are all in the education marketing field - some people new to offline and even some established ones just don't know it yet.

        It's all about positioning.

        Regards

        Bronwyn and Keith
        Originally Posted by Mario Brown View Post

        Hey Jim,

        Yes I love education based selling, it works like a charm and brands you as the expert, you basically give value first in from of education and it's so much easier later on to get the client to sign up.

        The book 'The Ultimate Sales Machine' is what I recommend for starters, there are some truly golden nuggets in there, especially for people that are starting out.

        Cheers,
        Mario
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2868586].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Voasi
    Yup, education is the best method all the way. It's how I teach my sales rep to sell all of our services.

    I had one sales rep last week put in about 20 hours on a client; going through what they needed, why, how it works, other methods in conjunction to that one, sales psychology, funnel systems, etc... and then he closed at $5,900 a month.
    Signature
    Want $6,000/mo. SEO Clients? Watch My Free Video!
    We do WSO Designs TOO!!! Best on WF! - Click Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2868319].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulie888
    Thanks for sharing, Mario. I think you did really well by educating your client first and establishing yourself as the authority figure - the money almost automatically comes after that without you needing to ask for it. I love this approach because you don't need to do any kind of hard selling, and everything just flows together without really needing to pitch anything to the client!

    Paul
    Signature
    >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2868345].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author warrior123
    Nice!

    Any idea how many clients this DUI lawyer gets a month from internet traffic or does he not reveal that info?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2868512].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ScottyM2
    Hi Mario,I noticed that you havent responded to your last WSO Miami Plumber Goes Nuts Local SEO for several weeks.
    Is it still available? Also, someone asked if that WSO was current with Google's changes. Can you respond here? If it isn't, are you planning on updating it?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2870273].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mario Brown
      Originally Posted by ScottyM2 View Post

      Hi Mario,I noticed that you havent responded to your last WSO Miami Plumber Goes Nuts Local SEO for several weeks.
      Is it still available? Also, someone asked if that WSO was current with Google's changes. Can you respond here? If it isn't, are you planning on updating it?
      Hi ScottyM2,

      No, my WSO's are not available anymore - I'm getting ready for my launch, that's why I closed them down. My newest product will have all the golden nuggets from my WSO's plus all the new things that work for me right now.

      All the best,
      Mario
      Signature

      ‎"Success is waking up in the morning, whoever you are, however old or young, and bounding out of bed because there's something out there that you love to do, that you believe in, that you're good at -- something that's bigger than you are, and you can't hardly wait to get at it again today." Whit Hobbs

      Visit My Website: http://www.mariobrown.net/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2870364].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
    Originally Posted by Mario Brown View Post

    I told him the prices for a massive SEO campaign and he agreed to do it. He knew that I know what I'm talking about because I got him amazing results in a very short amount of time.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to have been the key.

    He had a positive experience of you delivering results.
    Signature
    'If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.' Vincent Van Gogh.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2870648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author reimer
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2870765].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WildGale
      Just to clarify -- I'm just starting to learn about Places -- It sounds like on-page SEO of the client website is now important and was not weighted as heavily before. I assume that before it was the Places listing itself, not so much the website. Is this the change?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2870889].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mario Brown
        Originally Posted by oneplusone View Post

        Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to have been the key.

        He had a positive experience of you delivering results.
        Yes, that obviously helped a lot. My point is that people have something else to sell now when they try to sell Google Places services - and they can charge some serious money for that. (if they're targeting the right markets)

        Originally Posted by reimer View Post

        Hi, Mario

        I always wanted to enter in the offline business. However I have a little big problem: I live in Chile, southamerica.

        I would like to know your opinion:

        Is it possible to import this business model to Chile?

        Should I target american or chilean business?

        What would you do if you were me and wanted to start with the right foot in the offline world despite the fact of not living in the USA/UK/CAN/AUS?


        Thanks for your time

        Martin
        Hey Martin,

        Que tal? Yo vivi en Ecuador por siete meses y mi enamorada es de Ecuador tambien.

        Regarding your question...hmm....that's tricky.

        From the top of my head, first thing I'd to is to check the local market in your area and see if there are companies offering SEO services to businesses in your city or in the next big city. If so, you could actually start right there.

        If not ...hmmm....what I personally would do I think, is to try to partner up with another Warrior that also wants to get started in the offline niche, one that lives in the states.

        He could take care of 'finding clients' and you could take care of getting them the rankings and you guys split the profits.

        That's the first two things that came to my mind amigo, I hope that helps.

        Originally Posted by WildGale View Post

        Just to clarify -- I'm just starting to learn about Places -- It sounds like on-page SEO of the client website is now important and was not weighted as heavily before. I assume that before it was the Places listing itself, not so much the website. Is this the change?
        Yes that's basically true. Google still displays different variations of the listings, but here in South Florida, in competitive niches, I pretty much always see the merged listings.

        Then on the other hand, in California, I see a different version in the same niche, where there's still a 7pack on top but without the map now.

        But all in all you're right, the listings and the website are merged now - so SEO is more important now.

        Cheers,
        Mario
        Signature

        ‎"Success is waking up in the morning, whoever you are, however old or young, and bounding out of bed because there's something out there that you love to do, that you believe in, that you're good at -- something that's bigger than you are, and you can't hardly wait to get at it again today." Whit Hobbs

        Visit My Website: http://www.mariobrown.net/

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2873312].message }}
        • Hi Mario

          Popped through a PM yesterday.

          Just wondering if you could shoot back a quick response.

          many thanks

          Bronwyn and Keith
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2873345].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ShawnPeter
      Originally Posted by reimer View Post

      Hi, Mario

      I always wanted to enter in the offline business. However I have a little big problem: I live in Chile, southamerica.

      I would like to know your opinion:

      Is it possible to import this business model to Chile?

      Should I target american or chilean business?

      What would you do if you were me and wanted to start with the right foot in the offline world despite the fact of not living in the USA/UK/CAN/AUS?

      Thanks for your time

      Martin
      Hi Mario,

      I hope you wouldn't mind me commenting here to help get a better idea on this post from fellow warrior in Chile.

      I am from the other end of the world and I have an offline client from UK.
      Charge him $370 mthly. Its been 3 mths with him. He's going to refer me to some of his friends. Currently he is the only global client I have.

      Well, I believe the world has abundance. We just need to take action.

      Thank You for the advise Mario. More reason to increase the packages we have with our clients.

      Cheers!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2873677].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author biggoogle
        Just to be sure I got this right Mario - you charged $997 a month JUST for Google Places?

        How much do you average per client per month for Places? Also, how big is the city you live in?

        Thanks!

        BigG
        Signature

        ''Those who fail to take big risks do nothing, have nothing and are nothing.''

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2873761].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mario Brown
          Originally Posted by ShawnPeter View Post

          Hi Mario,

          I hope you wouldn't mind me commenting here to help get a better idea on this post from fellow warrior in Chile.

          I am from the other end of the world and I have an offline client from UK.
          Charge him $370 mthly. Its been 3 mths with him. He's going to refer me to some of his friends. Currently he is the only global client I have.

          Well, I believe the world has abundance. We just need to take action.

          Thank You for the advise Mario. More reason to increase the packages we have with our clients.

          Cheers!
          Thanks for your contribution to this thread, much appreciated.

          Originally Posted by biggoogle View Post

          Just to be sure I got this right Mario - you charged $997 a month JUST for Google Places?

          How much do you average per client per month for Places? Also, how big is the city you live in?

          Thanks!

          BigG
          Hi BigG,

          I never charge less than $997/month now, doesn't matter what the package or service is. I've decided, about 3 months ago, to do business on my terms. I go after the clients that I want to have (people that understand the value of leads) and I charge certain prices - period.

          If I'm sitting in front of a potential client and he doesn't want to pay the price, then he's not the right client for me - period.

          Ever since I made this decision, I'm getting great clients, I make a lot more money and I have less headaches. Charging high prices makes clients respect you a lot more. For more information I recommend that you start to study some of Dan Kennedy's stuff, that's how I got to change the way I do business.

          To answer your question, for the $997/month, clients get the Google Places optimization and basic SEO. When I say basic SEO, I don't mean a weak package or anything like that, it means that I'll bring them to the top of Google, get them backlinks from high quality sources and optimize their on page SEO and their website structure. This might sound complicated, and that's because many info-product sellers make it sound complicated unfortunately - but it's quite easy.

          Let me know if you want more detail.

          I charge extra for anything outside that spectrum, like social media marketing or stuff like that but honestly I don't really offer these services a lot - I only do them if the client really wants them.

          I like SEO and Google Places the most and I'm good at it, so I only offer it. Like I said, I do business on my terms.

          Also, I now only focus on one niche. Again, made a huge difference!

          All the best,
          Mario
          Signature

          ‎"Success is waking up in the morning, whoever you are, however old or young, and bounding out of bed because there's something out there that you love to do, that you believe in, that you're good at -- something that's bigger than you are, and you can't hardly wait to get at it again today." Whit Hobbs

          Visit My Website: http://www.mariobrown.net/

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2873858].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kym Robinson
            Schweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

            really looking forward to seeing your new stuff!

            Kym
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2874785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MWGrubb58
    Great job!

    Have your newer clients had the same reaction?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2871957].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PaulintheSticks
    Nice job, Mario.

    I assume you're clients are in big cities?

    So you're doing the other two sites for $1500/mo plus the initial site for $997 is that correct?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2873974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fvandy
    I think the key here is give your client good results and then work on the upsell. They are likely to agree.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2954194].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author redcell1
      Originally Posted by fvandy View Post

      I think the key here is give your client good results and then work on the upsell. They are likely to agree.
      I agree with fvandy, that with good results an upsell really would just sell itself.

      I do have to say though that it can be a double edged sword, if the client has good enough results then an upsell may not seem as valuable as their current service.

      Now am I right to say that Mario since you have more experience in this ?
      Signature

      Just here to see the shenanigans.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2954612].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vanessa Reece
    This is great stuff Mario. I love your flow and great work ethic! Knowledge is power.
    V
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2954953].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sullygromo
      Awesome job Mario...that's how you get it done right there!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2958057].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author virginiad
    Originally Posted by Mario Brown View Post

    Hey,

    I've just upsold one of my newer clients (DIU Lawyer) from $997/month to $2,500/month.
    This typo made me think of something. Have you tried to rank him for DIU as well as DUI?

    Just curious. I wonder how many people make that mistake when searching.

    Virginia
    Signature

    Virginia Drew


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2958477].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mario Brown
      Originally Posted by virginiad View Post

      This typo made me think of something. Have you tried to rank him for DIU as well as DUI?

      Just curious. I wonder how many people make that mistake when searching.

      Virginia
      Nah I actually only optimized for the keyword DUI Lawyer starting out, not DIU .

      Cheers,
      Mario
      Signature

      ‎"Success is waking up in the morning, whoever you are, however old or young, and bounding out of bed because there's something out there that you love to do, that you believe in, that you're good at -- something that's bigger than you are, and you can't hardly wait to get at it again today." Whit Hobbs

      Visit My Website: http://www.mariobrown.net/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2964720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulie888
    Thanks for sharing, Mario! I think that proper education of the client is crucial to effective upselling. You have to be able to explain what you can do for them in normal layman's terms before you can truly justify an upsell in their eyes.

    This all starts with practicing your "education" speech so that it sounds believable and also simple enough to be understood. I think it would really help if you practiced this on your friends or business partners first, so that you can really nail it down before you ever have to talk about this with a prospect.

    Paul
    Signature
    >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2966794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author social joe
    Hey Mario, I recently bought your membership site blueprint WSO from feb-mar 2010. I have still not received any download???

    Its been 2 days now. I have sent an email to your support address and still had nothing back.

    Can you help with this.....................??
    Signature

    Happy to be amongst like minded warriors!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2967730].message }}

Trending Topics