GETTING CLIENTS IN THE UK

22 replies
GETTING CLIENTS IN THE UK

Hi,
Would any member here like to share his or her experience,tools and resources in getting clients in the UK.

I dont think it is an understatement to say its like a different ball game to the US.

And what niche and services sell most....
#clients
  • Profile picture of the author MaverickUK
    How come you think it's a different ball game to the US? I'd start out with sending emails to potential clients and if there is no response within 7 days, give them a call and speak to them over the phone. Chances are, the manager will be busy or they'll dismiss your services - but not everyone will.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4162034].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jimbo13
      Do you not see the irony of your answer?

      Dan
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4162314].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaverickUK
    Unless in America every single business owner accepts a deal proposed to them, then no, i don't see any irony in my answer unless you're seeing something i'm not.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4162705].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
    Being a UK person, I could help out here.

    I've sold web marketing services to tons and tons of people over the last 7 years.

    One of them pays us over £6000 a month to manage it. I know that may be small fry to some of the ninja on here, but it does show that companies spend money on this stuff.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4162751].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Emmanuel Sopitan
      Originally Posted by iamchrisgreen View Post

      Being a UK person, I could help out here.

      I've sold web marketing services to tons and tons of people over the last 7 years.

      One of them pays us over £6000 a month to manage it. I know that may be small fry to some of the ninja on here, but it does show that companies spend money on this stuff.


      Hi Chris, Thanks for that reply. Would love to speak to you. I trust I could learn one or more things from you.

      Just pm ed you

      Signature

      Youbankdaily.com

      Guaranteed $100 a day

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4185376].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NWJewelry
    It's been my experience that there isn't as much competition in the UK as in the US. I also got published in a niche UK magazine which helped. I think as long as you show that you have a story to go with your product and a good background you'll find some biz.
    Signature
    Nautical Wheeler Jewelry
    Homemade Jewelry designs inspired by distant shores
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4162772].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jimbo13
      Hey Maverick

      I'm just playing with you. I broadly agree with you.

      The irony was that you have stated something; in this case send e-mails, and followed it up with a Chances are it probably won't work statement.

      You wrote it on auto-pilot without even knowing you wrote it. (OK you did know but you wrote it automatically)

      I have yet to see a single American poster write a suggestion then follow it with that kind of statement.

      So that is the difference is it not?

      We are much more cynical in the UK than the US and so are the people we sell to.

      Dan
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4163009].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MaverickUK
        Thank god, i was sitting here wondering whether i made some sort of idiotic statement that i hadn't realised - must admit, your comment acted me to re-read my comment a good ten time :p
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4163212].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AshleyPS
    I'm also based in the UK and I find that although everyone is impressed in the tech, QR Codes, mobile phones, no one wants to actually go ahead and pay money to have it implemented.

    I show people all the different presentations made by Google, all kinds of infographics, the new Google Places Mobile version, how bad their site looks on a phone... still nothing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4163419].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MaverickUK
      Originally Posted by AshleyPS View Post

      I'm also based in the UK and I find that although everyone is impressed in the tech, QR Codes, mobile phones, no one wants to actually go ahead and pay money to have it implemented.

      I show people all the different presentations made by Google, all kinds of infographics, the new Google Places Mobile version, how bad their site looks on a phone... still nothing.
      Have you stated any hard cold facts? Take for example the fact that the mobile phone market has been and will continue to boom for many years to come, more people will rely on their mobile phones for information and websites are being viewed more on mobile phones than ever before (duh). Add statistics to statements like these and they become much more interesting to a potential suitor.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4163458].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AshleyPS
        Originally Posted by MaverickUK View Post

        Have you stated any hard cold facts? Take for example the fact that the mobile phone market has been and will continue to boom for many years to come, more people will rely on their mobile phones for information and websites are being viewed more on mobile phones than ever before (duh). Add statistics to statements like these and they become much more interesting to a potential suitor.
        This is exactly what I do.

        I even joke that I don't have to make any of my own marketing material (although I do) because Google has these great 3 minute videos about the 'mobile movement'.

        The funny thing is, they all agree with me. "Yes you're right, it's the future".... ok so how about I help you with that ... "I'll get in touch with you"...

        I even get people that overhear me talking to people at networking events come up to me and hand their business card to me, telling me to e-mail them. When I do they never reply.

        I wonder if it's because I look young, or dress smart-casual, not in a suit.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4163488].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jimbo13
          Ashley

          Who goes to Networking events?

          Mainly people who don't actually need a mobile website right now, even though they may well need one in the future.

          It is something to be aware of but not a necessity for me. It is not possible for you to change my mind. Not because you are wrong and I am right it is just a simple fact that right now today it is irrelevant.

          I think you will see in the huge thread about mobile that bars and restaurants, maybe taxi drivers are the main type of searches going on and this is growing rapidly.

          So are these the types of business you predominantly focus on? because you will rarely find these types at a Networking event.

          Great product, Great Message, but Wrong Market is what I think is your problem.

          Imagine for a moment that I tie you to the train tracks like in old movies. You know the train is coming, it is inevitable.

          But if you are in Glasgow and the train is setting off from London at what point does your desire to move kick in?

          You need to find the customers where the train is now in view and getting larger and louder.

          Dan
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4163806].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author AshleyPS
            Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post

            Ashley

            Who goes to Networking events?

            Mainly people who don't actually need a mobile website right now, even though they may well need one in the future.

            It is something to be aware of but not a necessity for me. It is not possible for you to change my mind. Not because you are wrong and I am right it is just a simple fact that right now today it is irrelevant.

            I think you will see in the huge thread about mobile that bars and restaurants, maybe taxi drivers are the main type of searches going on and this is growing rapidly.

            So are these the types of business you predominantly focus on? because you will rarely find these types at a Networking event.

            Great product, Great Message, but Wrong Market is what I think is your problem.

            Imagine for a moment that I tie you to the train tracks like in old movies. You know the train is coming, it is inevitable.

            But if you are in Glasgow and the train is setting off from London at what point does your desire to move kick in?

            You need to find the customers where the train is now in view and getting larger and louder.

            Dan
            Thanks Dan. This might be the issue. Targeting the wrong type of businesses.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4164181].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Emmanuel Sopitan
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimbo13
    Ashley

    Who goes to Networking events?

    Mainly people who don't actually need a mobile website right now, even though they may well need one in the future.

    It is something to be aware of but not a necessity for me. It is not possible for you to change my mind. Not because you are wrong and I am right it is just a simple fact that right now today it is irrelevant.

    I think you will see in the huge thread about mobile that bars and restaurants, maybe taxi drivers are the main type of searches going on and this is growing rapidly.

    So are these the types of business you predominantly focus on? because you will rarely find these types at a Networking event.

    Great product, Great Message, but Wrong Market is what I think is your problem.

    Imagine for a moment that I tie you to the train tracks like in old movies. You know the train is coming, it is inevitable.

    But if you are in Glasgow and the train is setting off from London at what point does your desire to move kick in?

    You need to find the customers where the train is now in view and getting larger and louder.

    Dan
    Thanks Dan. This might be the issue. Targeting the wrong type of businesses.

    Thanks both. I have been ignoring the mobile marketing thinking Uk is not really ready for it here....

    Mindset plays a lot in marketing
    Signature

    Youbankdaily.com

    Guaranteed $100 a day

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4185433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nail Yener
    I was able to sell a mobile website to a UK business by email only but I can say that my overall response rate from the UK was not so good compared to other countries. In fact most of the replies I got were like "we already know that", "we can do that ourselves" etc.

    I don't know anyone from the UK in person but I guess some of them have a different approach.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4185655].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rockyonfire
    I have many clients from the UK. It is same as the US market.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4185971].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mjbmedia
    Its not the same as the US, unless the hyperbole from the US is pure BS.

    UK business owners are generally a lot more risk averse, many dont want to be front runners but are happier constantly playing catch up with their low numbers of more dynamic competitors but then not risking money testing newer ideas.

    You will hear a UK accountant say 'FB /Twitter etc thats not for our industry', in the US they seem to say more like' tell me how they can benefit me' .
    Uk see the risk (negative) first....of course all the above is generalising so theres no need for one person to come on and tell us theyve got an accountant on Twitter who loves them.
    You perhaps need case studies of the larger organisations within their industry who are using what you offer to great effect, consider attending some relevant marketing/ internet trade shows where theres often case study seminars from specialists (i am due to do one next year) telling how theyve done XYZ for their clients .

    US businesses seem to lap up the hyperbole, UK shun it , look at how people want Sugar,Branson etc to come unstuck so they can shoot them down in flames whereas in US Trump etc are lauded for their business skills if maybe not his hairstyle.

    In UK theres a general jealousy of success, in US theres awe and a determination to match if not better it
    Again being very general
    Signature

    Mike

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4189394].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ehsan_am
      Originally Posted by mjbmedia View Post

      Its not the same as the US, unless the hyperbole from the US is pure BS.

      UK business owners are generally a lot more risk averse, many dont want to be front runners but are happier constantly playing catch up with their low numbers of more dynamic competitors but then not risking money testing newer ideas.

      You will hear a UK accountant say 'FB /Twitter etc thats not for our industry', in the US they seem to say more like' tell me how they can benefit me' .
      Uk see the risk (negative) first....of course all the above is generalising so theres no need for one person to come on and tell us theyve got an accountant on Twitter who loves them.
      You perhaps need case studies of the larger organisations within their industry who are using what you offer to great effect, consider attending some relevant marketing/ internet trade shows where theres often case study seminars from specialists (i am due to do one next year) telling how theyve done XYZ for their clients .

      US businesses seem to lap up the hyperbole, UK shun it , look at how people want Sugar,Branson etc to come unstuck so they can shoot them down in flames whereas in US Trump etc are lauded for their business skills if maybe not his hairstyle.

      In UK theres a general jealousy of success, in US theres awe and a determination to match if not better it
      Again being very general
      This seems to be more of an european feature. Here in France it goes the exact same way. Businesses are afraid of change and innovation.

      You are 100% correct about the jealousy of success. Here in France people look at you in a certain way( negative) if you have money. As if you got that money by stealing from them :confused:

      Probabaly cultural effects of many years of socialism.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4189445].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author k60mall
    I agree totally with mjbmedia where he says the UK business mentality is somewhat years behind the US. I find that offering a try before you buy method works better as they can see what they are getting before they lay out any cash on advertising.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4189435].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jennydarke
    As a former marketing manager for a number of successful UK brands here's the main things I would think if you approached me:

    - I've never heard of your company, what do you do and who do you do it for
    - I would prefer to use a local UK company so is there something you can you offer me that they can't.
    - You're in a different time zone, will you be available when I want you

    That would be the bare minimum you would need to address and overcome on the first contact, and I'm sure you are aware of a couple of other things that are specific to you.

    If you have particular clients in mind develop something as an example to show them what you can do. You must illustrate your worth and your USPs

    Good luck, jd
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4191205].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author High Horsepower
      I know several large compainies that are making a killing in the UK.

      They have brand recognition, they offer free upfront services, and make money on the backend.

      When I say "killing it" I'm talking Tens of Millions in Euros.
      Signature
      Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Sir Winston Churchill, Speech, 1941, Harrow School

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4191516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mary Wilhite
    I enjoy spending time on this forum.yes you could get clients from everywhere,but the only thing is give your best in what you do.....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4192429].message }}

Trending Topics